PDA

View Full Version : New Player Completely Lost

Ninjor
11-07-2014, 07:43 PM
Hello Everyone,

Looking into this game and I have no idea where to start and hoping someone here can point me into the right direction for 2 different builds.
I have access to all races and classes and 32 point builds.

- Pure ranged build
- - Most ranged builds I have found are all outdated or asking for 36 points and/or tomes
- - Id rather avoid any type of melee combat

- Barbarian "CHARGE!!" build
- - Same with the pure ranged build most I have found are outdated or asking for 36 points and/or tomes
- - From what I have found (Not sure if it is outdated or not) it seems that barbarians are unable to solo that much since they have almost no form of self healing?

rosedarkthorn
11-07-2014, 07:52 PM
Welcome to the game. I hope you enjoy your time with it.

The first thing that I would recommend is checking out this website: http://ddowiki.com/page/Starting_a_Ranger

You might also consider: http://ddowiki.com/page/Starting_a_Artificer for an alternative ranged build.

You can also take a look at: http://ddowiki.com/page/Starting_a_Barbarian

Something to keep in mind about Barbarians is that they are going to be getting an update to their enhancements soon. Enhancements are abilities you can get for your character as you level up. You may want to wait to start a barbarian until that update comes, which should be sometime next month (no release date has been announced yet).

Rangers should be getting an update to increase their ranged damage at some point as well, but you can go ahead and create one now, since the damage will just get updated once they get around to it.

Ninjor
11-07-2014, 08:09 PM
Welcome to the game. I hope you enjoy your time with it.

The first thing that I would recommend is checking out this website: http://ddowiki.com/page/Starting_a_Ranger

You might also consider: http://ddowiki.com/page/Starting_a_Artificer for an alternative ranged build.

You can also take a look at: http://ddowiki.com/page/Starting_a_Barbarian

Something to keep in mind about Barbarians is that they are going to be getting an update to their enhancements soon. Enhancements are abilities you can get for your character as you level up. You may want to wait to start a barbarian until that update comes, which should be sometime next month (no release date has been announced yet).

Rangers should be getting an update to increase their ranged damage at some point as well, but you can go ahead and create one now, since the damage will just get updated once they get around to it.

Thanks for the links. I read over them while searching for a build. This game seems to have so much number crunching to get a half decent build.

Do you have any builds you would suggest for a ranger/artificer? I honestly don't care about RPing or lore, just looking for a strong ranged build to clear content.

phillymiket
11-07-2014, 08:58 PM
Hey.

I don't really follow builds that much so I can't help you there.

Just wanted to welcome you to the game.

If you're on the Ghalland server send me a PM or respond here with your characters name and I'll send you some started plat for heal potions or whatever.

Good luck.

MacRighteous
11-07-2014, 09:18 PM
<snip> This game seems to have so much number crunching to get a half decent build.<snip>

First of all - not to be mean or anything but - if you are new to the game, then what do you know about a half decent build? I would drop preconceptions you may have from previous MMO's and not put so much stock in what you read on the forums. Usually the uber elites and master builders are agonizing over a few points or fractions of percentages that pan out in the maths but are arguably almost non tangible in practice, especially when you consider individual play style, random hit dice rolls, buffs from the store and the like...

Most of the posted builds (outdated or post U19) are going to be focused for later content at the most difficult setting: Epic Elite: levels 20 to 28 - soon(TM) to be 30, maybe.

Since this game is 8 years old there is a ton of content that was developed before the current power creep. So almost any build - even gymped builds, are going to get through 90%+ of the content just fine. This is especially true with the Heroic levels: levels 1 to 20.

My advice to you would be to not worry about min/max builds your first run through and just roll a toon that suits you. Relax and smell the flowers and experiment with the build options that are available to you as you level. You are really not going to do too much permanent damage to your build that cant be fixed at some point. That's not to say that you shouldn't be careful - some of the "fix" options are expensive, but just don't be too worried about it - for now.

This game organically evolves into zerg mode soon enough so don't be too eager to plow through content. And as far as worrying about having an uber build to keep up with the Jones's... lol - the ubers are about 40 past life's ahead of you already - your first life min/max build isn't going to perform any better than almost any other 1st life build and you really are not going to notice any significant differences in the heroic levels... build a toon using the "starting a X" guide and get to know the game. Worry about uber builds when you are uber (which takes more than a strong build - it takes gear+game knowledge+some player skill) all of which can only be supplied by you through playing the game. (with the slight exception of some of the gear - you can get a limited selection of that through the AH.)

Anyways welcome and have fun

Uska
11-07-2014, 09:32 PM
Hey.

If you're on the Ghalland server send me a PM or respond here with your characters name and I'll send you some started plat for heal potions or whatever.

Good luck.

+1 nice one

Saekee
11-07-2014, 09:56 PM
Hey.

Good luck.

+1 yup nice one

Best advice to offer is to play around with different classes, a couple on each server, delete them before level 12--you will earn favor and hence turbine points. It is fun and low stress--great way to get to know the game! Then you can settle in, focus on one main character--worry then about how to maximize them and only if that is important to you. The lower level quests present a great variety of mobs and dungeon crawls and running them on normal is fine!
There are tons of players willing to help you along too, along with guilds and more. There are some vets here with new-player friendly builds; some should be posting them below this post so stay tuned...

nibel
11-08-2014, 11:05 PM
Hey.

Good luck.

Ditto for Sarlona.

centuar1963
11-09-2014, 10:58 AM
Ditto for Sarlona.

If your toon is on Khyber no one will help you -Thats just that way we roll so get use to it..... Just kidding, but adversity does make you stronger :p .... slay on....

yawumpus
11-09-2014, 11:26 AM
Some notes on the "starting a new artificer"

Warforged is easily the strongest race for artificers, the other [fleshling] races will need much more complicated means to heal themselves (but can do better than most classes).
I'd recommend "going for IPS". Note that the guide ignores the possibility of using tomes. I'd check the auction house (you have to leave Korthos to find it, the nearest is up top on the harbor, past the gate to the market place) to see availability. However expensive they look, if they are available you can likely afford them by the time you are ready to take Improved Precise Shot) [meaning that you need only put 17 into your dexterity and can put the rest into intelligence].

Artificer is also "the easy button" for DDO, at least until about level 12 or so. It certainly would be a good class to build on each server to get an idea how they are and who is there. I'd recommend starting there. Note: if you thought VIP means "you have all classes", it doesn't include artificer (or favored soul). If you are VIP, it probably came with enough turbine points to buy artificer (which would be a good idea). VIP includes warforged (but not drow, which is pretty easy to unlock (artificer and FVS are *not*)).

Can't help you with barbarian, other than to warn you that it seems to be "the hard button", but that will probably change in a few months after turbine twiddles with that class.

psykopeta
11-09-2014, 12:05 PM
Hello Everyone,

Looking into this game and I have no idea where to start and hoping someone here can point me into the right direction for 2 different builds.

- Pure ranged build
- - Most ranged builds I have found are all outdated or asking for 36 points and/or tomes

- - Same with the pure ranged build most I have found are outdated or asking for 36 points and/or tomes
- - From what I have found (Not sure if it is outdated or not) it seems that barbarians are unable to solo that much since they have almost no form of self healing?

welcome

from ur post i guess u are vip if so, you shouldn't worry about being strongest toon ever, you can level doing every quest in normal diff (maybe repeating some in higher diff if you feel confident, but shouldn't need to farm quests, you will get xp too doing slayer while finding the quests in the wilderness)

once we know that, let's settle some bases:
- build may be outdated or asking for 36 points and/or tomes, but that's only to fulfill a number of roles needed on elite, like being able to use umd, having a high positive spellpower for cocooning, and access to ranged and melee feats, but that's not your problem, read the reasoning after the build and remove what you don't need, in both builds u posted i would avoid going for umd (that means you can drop int and cha) that would make the deal, in any case be sure to plan your toon before creating it! this way you will know which class/feats take at every lvl

enhancements? you can reset them with platinum, but do it at most once per day!! the cost increases really fast for your 1st life, just check which ones aren't working, or the suggestions in related builds (if a monckher needs slaying arrow, you will too, for example)

for avoiding melee as ranged there's only 1 option: run!! XD or kill them before they reach you (easy on normal)

for more healing capability as barb, bring a cleric hire!! in normal diff it should be strong enough

like thye said, most builds are focused on ee, which shouldn't be your objective til you have some game knowledge, no matter how strong your toon is if you lack the knowledge of where are the traps, which skills/spells use the enemy, etc

also, as ranged toon improved precise shot is a must, as barbarian cleave and great cleave are a must (and the "charge" philosophy isn't a good idea 100% the times, just saying XD)

so don't be scared of be gimp, in ddo you can reincarnate your toons and that makes em a bit stronger!

Toro12
11-09-2014, 12:12 PM
I noticed you would like 2 builds is this so that they can be run in tandem with a partner?

If that is the case I would strongly urge going with warforged. A artificer for the ranged build to pair with the barbarian.

Wh070aa
11-09-2014, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the links. I read over them while searching for a build. This game seems to have so much number crunching to get a half decent build.

Do you have any builds you would suggest for a ranger/artificer? I honestly don't care about RPing or lore, just looking for a strong ranged build to clear content.

Be careful with ddowiki builds, although they have most of the information, they tend to be outdated, and generally kinda bad/uncountable with most play styles.

You can just go to class forums and see the builds other people have posted.

Sadly ranged builds generally require quite intensive stat spread(archery feats require a lot of dexterity), so tomes are a must. Improved precise shot(THE archery feat) requires base 19 dex, and as a new player you need a lot of con(to not die), or are pure ranger. Archery builds tend to be extremely power spike heavy. All good archery builds are extremely advanced, and have hybrid play styles, and require some gear.

I personally recommend reading MrCow's Diaries of reincarnation, as he explains everything in great detail.
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/341209-Diaries-of-a-True-Reincarnate-%28Artificer%29

----------------------

My personal archery build is as follows- 3 levels of artificer, 11 levels of ranger, then whatever you want for last 6. The ranger levels allow me to skip the dex, and feat requirements for archery feats (exempt precision, but that's just 13 dex, and can be done without), and harper tree(you probably want it on any artificer/int based builds). As long as you get improved critical ranged(at level 9), and point blank shot(level 1) feats, you should be ok.
However this build is mid game centered, and is bad at beginning(until you get 12 enchantment points (level 3), and end (level 21 +, epics), and gear is bit problematic, until you get to a point where you can farm plat buy it, or just farm it (you probably want to be in parties for fist life, but if you get lucky, and get on a "TR train", you be high level in no time (or you can just farm up/buy ability to start at level 4 or 7). My build
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/450683-Int-based-ranger-arti-for-heroic
It focuses on being able to do traps, Area effect heal, and doing consistent ranged damage (warning, lacks burst damage, stuns, and basic resists/buffs are item/scroll/party member based).

I would not recommend using it, but that's what I have made for my archery build, and I find that I can contribute a lot, while staying relatively safe with it.
-----------------
Just make any straight up ranger or artificer and see how well it plays. Ranger is hybrid melee, and artificer is hybrid caster (w/ ability to do traps), so you must learn multiple play styles. If you want to avoid melee, go artificer. You get some decent spell casting that way. Sadly you need 19(21 for epics)base dex, maxed int ,and some con on artificer, so its pretty painful for beginners.+ the trap gear, and rune arms are hard to come by.

As for barbarian, they have no healing, and I don't recommend them to beginners, as they are extremely boring(you don't get any cool abilities), hard to play, feat starved and annoying to heal (both for you, and cleric). Its good for about first 4 levels, unless you know what you are doing.

I hope I somewhat helped.

ycheese123
11-09-2014, 02:22 PM
Super simple frenzied berserker with Fighter splash for a feat, some proficiencies, more action boosts, and haste boost & Cleric for divine might. Take fvs if you want, I think it's like an extra 1 reflex save or something. You said you're new so no tomes here, and I just selected toughness in all the ED feat slots, as well as blinding speed in one of the epic feat slots, which I think is a waste of a feat in most cases, but since you're new and won't have an item to get that effect it seems fine, unless haste boost is enough then you could take epic DR. Also... I have not looked extensively at the vanguard tree, and that might be pretty nice. I know there's a vanguard barb thread somewhere.

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 04.20.01
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Level 28 Neutral Good Human Male
(1 Fighter \ 18 Barbarian \ 1 Cleric \ 8 Epic)
Hit Points: 580
Spell Points: 130
BAB: 19\19\24\29\29
Fortitude: 19
Reflex: 7
Will: 9

Starting Ending Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Base Stats Modified Stats
(32 Point) (Level 1) (Level 28) (Level 28)
Strength 18 25 26
Dexterity 10 10 10
Constitution 14 14 16
Intelligence 8 8 8
Wisdom 10 10 10
Charisma 14 14 14

Starting Ending Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 28) (Level 28)
Balance 1 11 19
Bluff 2 2 10
Concentration 2 3 11
Diplomacy 2 2 10
Disable Device n/a n/a n/a
Haggle 2 2 10
Heal 0 1 9
Hide 0 0 8
Intimidate 2 25 33
Jump 4 19 27
Listen 0 0 8
Move Silently 0 0 8
Open Lock n/a n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a n/a
Repair -1 -1 7
Search -1 -1 7
Spellcraft -1 -1 7
Spot 0 0 8
Swim 4 8 16
Tumble 1 1 9
Use Magic Device 4 13.5 21.5

Level 1 (Fighter)
Skill: Balance (+1)
Skill: Tumble (+1)
Skill: Use Magic Device (+2)
Feat: (Selected) Cleave
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Power Attack
Feat: (Human Bonus) Toughness

Level 2 (Cleric)
Skill: Heal (+1)
Skill: Use Magic Device (+0.5)
Feat: (Deity) Follower of the Silver Flame

Level 3 (Barbarian)
Skill: Intimidate (+1)
Feat: (Selected) Two Handed Fighting

Level 4 (Barbarian)
Ability Raise: STR
Skill: Jump (+1)

Level 5 (Barbarian)

Level 6 (Barbarian)
Skill: Balance (+0.5)
Feat: (Selected) Great Cleave

Level 7 (Barbarian)
Skill: Intimidate (+2)

Level 8 (Barbarian)

Level 9 (Barbarian)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons

Level 10 (Barbarian)

Level 11 (Barbarian)

Level 12 (Barbarian)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Handed Fighting

Level 13 (Barbarian)

Level 14 (Barbarian)

Level 15 (Barbarian)
Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 16 (Barbarian)

Level 17 (Barbarian)

Level 18 (Barbarian)
Feat: (Selected) Greater Two Handed Fighting

Level 19 (Barbarian)

Level 20 (Barbarian)
Skill: Jump (+2)
Enhancement: Human - Human Versatility: Damage Boost (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Human - Human Adaptability: Strength (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Human - Human Versatility: Saves Boost (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Human - Action Surge: Strength (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Human - Action Surge: Strength (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Human - Improved Recovery (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Human - Action Surge: Constitution (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Human - Action Surge: Constitution (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Human - Improved Recovery (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Frenzied Berserker (Bar) - Die Hard (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Frenzied Berserker (Bar) - Toughness (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Frenzied Berserker (Bar) - Frenzy (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Frenzied Berserker (Bar) - Toughness (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Frenzied Berserker (Bar) - Death Frenzy (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Frenzied Berserker (Bar) - Extra Rage (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Frenzied Berserker (Bar) - Extra Rage (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Frenzied Berserker (Bar) - Extra Rage (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Frenzied Berserker (Bar) - Power Rage (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Frenzied Berserker (Bar) - Power Rage (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Frenzied Berserker (Bar) - Power Rage (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Frenzied Berserker (Bar) - Angry Arms (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Frenzied Berserker (Bar) - Angry Arms (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Frenzied Berserker (Bar) - Angry Arms (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Frenzied Berserker (Bar) - Extra Action Boost (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Frenzied Berserker (Bar) - Extra Action Boost (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Frenzied Berserker (Bar) - Extra Action Boost (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Frenzied Berserker (Bar) - Sprint Boost (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Frenzied Berserker (Bar) - Supreme Cleave (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Frenzied Berserker (Bar) - Supreme Cleave (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Frenzied Berserker (Bar) - Supreme Cleave (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Frenzied Berserker (Bar) - Constitution (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Frenzied Berserker (Bar) - Wade In (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Frenzied Berserker (Bar) - Wade In (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Frenzied Berserker (Bar) - Wade In (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Frenzied Berserker (Bar) - Constitution (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Frenzied Berserker (Bar) - Focus Wide (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Frenzied Berserker (Bar) - Focused Wrath (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Frenzied Berserker (Bar) - Focused Wrath (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Occult Slayer (Bar) - Weapon Bond (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Occult Slayer (Bar) - Resistance (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Occult Slayer (Bar) - Extend Rage (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Occult Slayer (Bar) - Extend Rage (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Occult Slayer (Bar) - Extend Rage (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Occult Slayer (Bar) - Ear Smash (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Occult Slayer (Bar) - Ear Smash (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Occult Slayer (Bar) - Knockout (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Occult Slayer (Bar) - Knockout (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Occult Slayer (Bar) - Arcane Encumbrance (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Occult Slayer (Bar) - Arcane Encumbrance (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Ravager (Bar) - Furious Rage (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Ravager (Bar) - Hardy Rage (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Ravager (Bar) - Hardy Rage (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Ravager (Bar) - Hardy Rage (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Kensei Focus: Axes (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Extra Action Boost (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Extra Action Boost (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Extra Action Boost (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Haste Boost (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Haste Boost (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Haste Boost (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Warpriest (Clr) - Smite Foe (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Warpriest (Clr) - Divine Might (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Warpriest (Clr) - Divine Might (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Warpriest (Clr) - Divine Might (Rank 3)

Level 21 (Epic)
Feat: (Selected) Epic: Overwhelming Critical

Level 22 (Epic)

Level 23 (Epic)

Level 24 (Epic)
Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 25 (Epic)

Level 26 (Epic)
Feat: (Epic Destiny) Toughness

Level 27 (Epic)
Feat: (Selected) Epic: Blinding Speed

Level 28 (Epic)
Feat: (Epic Destiny) Toughness

Waaye
11-11-2014, 04:47 PM
Hello Everyone,
Hello, Ninjor, and welcome to DDO.

My main character is a L18 (four fifths of the way to L19) pure Ranger AA 28-point build and he is doing very well. When I run into trouble I usually search this forum for posts by FranOhmsford on the subject first. He usually gives simple advice for new players that does not involve scrapping your existing character or obtaining rare and expensive gear. He also gives good advice on hirelings too.

Happy questing!

marinerfan
11-11-2014, 05:27 PM
I just got a 28 point build bow-using ranger with no gear (started fresh on a new server) up to level 20 and loved the build I used. It was 15 ranger/4 paladin/1 rogue and it had a lot to offer including trap skills (might be a little tough until you find/buy/have someone craft you search/spot/disable items), survivability (great saves from paladin, solid self healing, evasion), and ok burst damage.

Obviously as a first life character you won't be the best at everything, but I truly believe this is a great build to start with. I don't have time to plug it into a planner, but basically...

Skills:
Important ones (in my opinion) = search, disable, use magic device, +/- heal as it makes your spells a bit stronger. Put a few points (4ish) into open lock then find an item that boosts your skill and you will be able to get most, not all locks in the game. Other skills to consider = spot, balance, jump, bluff, intimidate (yes, i think you could tank with this character). Spot is vital if you want to sense traps before looking for them, which I suspect would benefit you on your first character, however it will be hard to get your spot high enough to actually sense traps.

Race:
I chose elf and would do it again - the racial enhancement has some useful things (such as extra dragonmark uses and i think Incorporeal) which make you much harder to kill.

Stats:
No set-in-stone rules, I'd say good dex & con, decent str, cha, and int. Dump wisdom, it is not very useful to this build (all you'll need is a +wis item, nothing more).

Level progression:
Take rogue first, then 2 paladin, then 9 ranger, 2 more paladin, then the rest ranger. This gives you the most skill points, good saves/dps early in the game, and evasion around the time the game becomes more challenging (level 12).

Feats:
Never thought i'd say it, but dragonmark is very useful on this build, as it gives you displacement clicks (-50% chance you get hit by enemies!)
I took precision, improved critical:ranged, quicken (very useful for cure spells), and to be honest I can't remember what else...maybe dodge?? DO NOT TAKE 2 WEAPON FIGHTING FEATS, AS THEY ARE GRANTED FOR FREE TO RANGERS AS THEY LEVEL UP.

Enhancements:
I decided to be a ranger that mostly uses his bow, so I invested fairly heavily in arcane archer (paralyzing arrows, imbue: metalline, and slayer shot are all very useful) as well as the elven racial tree. I put a few points in paladin sacred defender and got the sacred stance (helps mitigate damage), put a few points into tempest to get better dodge, and then I ran out.

I strongly suspect you could make a great melee build out of this frame - I am considering a TR to try this same build used primarily as melee.

Rykka
11-11-2014, 10:56 PM
Hello Everyone,

- Pure ranged build

Yes barbies suck.

Pure ranged and no self-healing barbie are just what you think. I doubt you really need a build.

Basically, for ranged you take 6 levels of monk and ranger. this gives you 10000stars(as a feat) and manyshot at level 12. You'll also want Improved Precise Shot. You get IPS automatically at Ranger11 or as a feat (including any fighter/arti bonus feat) if you have a 19dex, precise shot, point blank shot and a Base Attack Bonus of 11.

Edit: oh as pointed out above, you get good low level melee twf for free as well, when ranged still sucks.

MangLord
11-12-2014, 12:47 AM
Welcome to the game!

I'm a big fan of rangers and nimble characters in general, and I have a capped pure Elf Ranger that's second life and does very well in EE end game content. He was great for his first ranger life too, and my first character's first life was a ranger that I adored. I think its a great class for exploring most of the game.

As an initial caveat, DDO can be a game of inches. A generalist may seem appealing on paper, but you're much better served as a specialist. As a ranger, you have the unique ability to pump out some amazing short term damage with manyshot/slayer arrow bursts, so it's wise to build to that strength. Once you hit epic levels, you can use Fury of the Wild Adrenaline/Manyshot/Slayer combos to propel your one-shot DPS into the 20-40k range.

For the build that I personally like (you may prefer slightly different choices), I chose Elf for the racial DEX to damage and damage bonuses with longbows. Pressing CTRL + R will open up your enhancement tree list, where you can spend points as you level. You'll definitely want to spend enough points in the Elf tree to open up the top tier DEX for damage with longbows. Your damage will increase significantly. As fas a class enancements, Arcane Archer is my favorite enhancement tree. Paralyzing arrows will pay massive dividends at heroic levels, but fall off considerably when you hit level 20+ content. Even so, you can still freeze enemies fairly often on EN and EH (epic normal/epic hard) difficulties, but it's nearly foolproof at heroic levels against living targets. I don't opt for smiting and banishing arrows, as a banishing/smiting bow is easy enough to come by, and action points are much more precious. You can paralyze an entire room once you get good at TAB targeting through enemies, and it also helps when you can eventually shoot through multiple enemies. You can lurk towards a mob, TAB target a caster, and hit everything in between as the melee mobs run towards you. Slayer arrows are excellent when coupled with a manyshot burst. You can toggle a manyshot, then activate a slayer arrow and deal a pretty impressive burst of damage for a short time. It works even better when you gain Improved Precise Shot stance and can shoot through several targets at once. (you must drag it into a hotbar and activate it for it to take effect) I also like to spend a few points in Deepwood Stalker to pick up some positive spellpower and open up Called Shot-Sniper Shot (3rd core enhancement). It does a lot of damage and has a very short cooldown. Staying pure ranger will open up the AA capstone, giving you a blanket +20% doubleshot that stacks with all other doubleshot bonuses, including past life feats and gear.

Personally, I will invest in at least an 18 DEX, at least a 14 CON, and anything you have left into WIS. STR is not needed since bow strength doesn't stack with Elf DEX for damage. You need a certain WIS score to cast high level ranger spells, but that can be made up with tomes you may come across on your travels and equipping a WIS boosting item.

As far as feats go, I like to specialize in longbows. I rarely switch to melee weapons, as the bow will do so much more damage eventually, even if it seems to fire slower. As a ranger, you'll get Rapid Shot, Bow Strength, all the TWF feats, Precise Shot and Manyshot for free as you level, so there's no need to invest in them. You'll want to take Point Blank Shot as your first feat. To keep yourself alive reliably, I highly recommend taking Quicken Spell and Empower Healing feats when you can. If you pop both of those on your primary healing spell, it can't be interrupted when you get into trouble. It costs more SP, but an Arcane Archer will be rolling in temporary SP after level 12. Precision feat will boost your attack bonus somewhat, and allow you to score criticals on undead, constructs and oozes, which are very common from level 1-28. Improved Critical:Ranged is another feat you will want. It will double your critical threat range, so you can score big shots more often. If you don't have enough Tome boosts (+5 tome with a 16 CON) to get Epic Toughness (+50hp), then you may not want to opt for Toughness feat. It will give you a few extra HP, an extra 23hp at level 20, but is really only good if you can use it as a prerequisite for epic toughness feat. Otherwise, I'd opt for the Dodge feat. Ignoring damage entirely as a lightly armored character is always good. As a ranger, I like to keep my dodge bonuses as high as possible.

As a ranger, you will gain the evasion feat at level 8-9, I forget which. This is one of the single most important feats in the game, and is only granted to rogues, monks and rangers. With a good reflex save and high dexterity, you will be able to completely avoid damage from many traps and spells. As a DEX build, you'll want to sink all level-up stat boosts into DEX, as it will improve your damage and reflex saves.

As far as skills, I will always put points into Heal and Spot, as they allow you to see the outline of hidden enemies and boost your healing power. You can invest in Use Magical Device to utilize scrolls of Blur, Heal, Restoration and Raise Dead to help party members and yourself. Balance is somewhat useful, but situational. You won't need to put more than 10 points into Jump, as the spell will eventually give you a +30, and 40 is the Jump cap. Concentration is also unnecessary if you have the Quicken spell feat. (epic concentration rolls are very hard to make without an incredibly high score, which is why I recommend Quicken) As a ranger I never sneak, so hide and move silently are wasteful. Enemy awareness is so good that sneaking skills are all but useless without an astronomically high score.

This is really a simple, straightforward build that will allow you to enjoy and explore most of the game. You could easily splash in two rogue levels for trapping skills, but that complicates things a bit.

As far as barbarians, I'd hold off until Turbine releases the Barbarian update that's currently in the works. As of now, barbarians are very squishy, but there is a lot of promise for the future. Recently, the developers have revamped Bard and Paladin with remarkable success. Both classes used to be painfully bad, but with insight from the players both classes now have excellent build options.

Forzah
11-12-2014, 06:23 AM
Pure artificer is a pretty nice ranged build. Maybe not super strong in endgame, but it works well while leveling and it's quite simple and intuitive to build.

unbongwah
11-12-2014, 09:23 AM
Hi, OP, welcome to DDO. :)

Does this include Artificer, drow, and Favored Soul? Sometimes newbie VIPs forget or aren't aware that these still have to be unlocked separately.

- Pure ranged build
What sort of build you need depends on which ranged option you want:

Bows: monkchers are still your best option, which are broadly defined as archers with at least 6 monk lvls to take 10K Stars (http://ddowiki.com/page/Ten_Thousand_Stars) as well as Manyshot (http://ddowiki.com/page/Manyshot); you alternate between the two to keep your ranged DPS as high as possible. You can either go with the classic monk 6+ / rgr 6+ split (lots of feats, AA enhs, Sniper Shot) or go with the brand-new HE or elf monk 6 / pal 14 split (10K Stars + Holy Sword); there aren't enough feats in the latter to take Bow STR, though, so you'll want either elven Grace or Strategic Combat to get DEX or INT to dmg, respectively.
Xbows (usually repeaters): historically Mechanic (rog) and Artificer were your only real options, because they were the only classes / PrEs to gain INT to xbow dmg. But Harper opens the door to a lot of alternatives, since you can pick up Know the Angles + Strategic Combat for INT-to-dmg; in which case, once again, pal 14+ for Holy Sword becomes attractive.
Shuriken: DEX-based monk builds seem best, because Shuriken Expertise and Adv Ninja Training are both keyed off of DEX. If going monk 6+, you'll also want decent WIS for 10K Stars. Then it's a question of whether you stick with pure monk for Ninja capstone (+2 Competence bonus to the Critical Threat Range); or multiclass, in which case you'll want a halfling for Master Thrower, unless you're going for Holy Sword (pal 14+), although I think that's currently bugged with throwers.
Non-shuriken throwers: Swashbuckler is your best option due to crit bonuses and other perks in the PrE.

You may wish to wait for U24 to go live, which will be buffing barbs. You are correct that barbs are currently lacking self-healing options; although it's actually less bad at lvl 12+ if you have I Like Pain, Vampiric Bond, and a Vampiric Cleaver (http://ddowiki.com/page/Vampiric_Cleaver).

Alisonique
11-12-2014, 09:53 AM
Listen to Uncle Ubongwah, he does, despite all heckling, know what he is on about. (most of the time)

Powskier
11-12-2014, 02:56 PM
welcome:) 1st life is learning experience... I say enjoy learning what areas you like to explore,and how item bonus' stack.After 1st life you'll know better where you want skill points and what feats you want or need;as well as having some plat built up and a few items saved. the pre builds do focus alot on numbers you'll only need in elite;as 1st life you prob wont be elite streaking so dont worry to much bout it till then.

Dmister
11-14-2014, 09:06 PM
I am not one to give advice on builds since I like to create my own and pray for the best. But I would still like to say welcome to DDO and I hope you enjoy the game. If you ever need anything that I might be able to provide feel free to send me a tell (toons name is Falsedoc on the Ghallandra server).

Inoukchuk
11-16-2014, 08:35 AM
Hello Everyone,

- Pure ranged build

Another important thing to know/remember:

Many builds, particularly multiclass builds, are only good at high levels. People use game knowledge, gear, and player skill to make it through lower levels until the build starts to coalesce. You may get to level 10 and think a build is awful... because at level 10 the build is awful, and it won't get good until 12, or even 18+. Ranged builds in particular are very weak at lower levels IMO. Many people will recommend that even pure caster characters should use a 2-handed weapon until 6-8th level.

As others have mentioned Barbarian is in line for an overhaul. In the meantime they are one of the less powerful and most difficult classes to play as a new player due to the healing issue and decided lack of advantages to compensate (especially when compared to Paladins, who just got their overhaul)