PDA

View Full Version : New Warforged Artificer alignment

Esmer
11-06-2014, 03:39 PM
During the creation process I did a noob mistake and forgot to select "true neutral' and took the default "lawful good".

I'm almost level 4 - just re-roll or is it going to make a huge difference?

Note: I'm a casual player that won't be TRing this character since I'm just having fun at low levels but will eventually get to L20 and higher I hope.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

unbongwah
11-06-2014, 04:00 PM
Historically True Neutral had three major perks compared to Good chars: immunity to Unholy dmg (which starts becoming common in Demon Sands and Necro III, IIRC); no negative-level penalty from using evil-tainted gear like Greensteel items; and benefiting from Stability (http://ddowiki.com/page/Stability) items (+ to AC & saves, consolidating Resistance & Protection to one slot). [LN & CN chars get the first two benefits, but not the third.] Stability isn't such a big deal anymore, because it still doesn't go beyond Superior's +6 bonus; in epic lvls you'll have access to +10 gear eventually. The main advantages to being Good-aligned are being able to equip Pure Good items without an UMD check (though that's not an issue for long on a pure arty); and some ED abilities are keyed off of your alignment (e.g., Blessed Blades imbues your weapons with your alignment for DR-breaking purposes; does nothing for TN chars, however).

On a pure arty, I prefer TN for the aforementioned bonuses. If you want to multiclass, a 2-3 pally splash provides some nice defensive perks, and you need to be LG for that. It's not such a big deal either way; but if you're gonna restart, it's better to do it sooner rather than later.

HatsuharuZ
11-06-2014, 04:18 PM
It's not a big deal, like Unbongwah says. As a warforged artificer, you can heal yourself, so not being immune to 'evil' damage, which only comes from 1 spell, iirc, is not worth starting over for.

phillymiket
11-06-2014, 05:00 PM
no negative-level penalty from using evil-tainted gear like Greensteel items

Just a small correction -

I believe evil items like the Locus of Vol can be used by non-good characters but the Taint of Shavarath from GS will slowly kill you regardless of alignment.

-7 points

A-

:-)

EDIT -

I guess I should address OPs question.

I wouldn't re-roll myself unless there were a few other things you have learned along the way you'd also like to change.

Just realize you are now obligated to role-playing Lawful Good.

No wonton destruction like smashing crates or murdering innocent Halflings for the Silver Flame and if I send you a tell saying I "really really need" that Raid Loot you have to pass it to me.

Good luck Mr. Goodie Two-Shoes ;-)

Esmer
11-06-2014, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the quick replies - really appreciate it!

In my wondering through Waterworks - I'm now level 4 and having a blast.

I may have more questions though - you guys are great!

Thanks.

unbongwah
11-07-2014, 08:59 AM
As a warforged artificer, you can heal yourself, so not being immune to 'evil' damage, which only comes from 1 spell, iirc, is not worth starting over for.
It's not just spells, though: mobs start using weapons which deal Unholy dmg in the low teen lvls; archers are particularly annoying in that regard.

cdbd3rd
11-12-2014, 01:36 PM
Just to throw out another option, there's also that Alignment Change thingamajigger in the Store.

..if you *really* feel you need to change it and don't want to reroll.

Uska
11-12-2014, 02:44 PM
Just a small correction -

I believe evil items like the Locus of Vol can be used by non-good characters but the Taint of Shavarath from GS will slowly kill you regardless of alignment.

-7 points

A-

:-)

EDIT -

I guess I should address OPs question.

I wouldn't re-roll myself unless there were a few other things you have learned along the way you'd also like to change.

Just realize you are now obligated to role-playing Lawful Good.

No wonton destruction like smashing crates or murdering innocent Halflings for the Silver Flame and if I send you a tell saying I "really really need" that Raid Loot you have to pass it to me.

Good luck Mr. Goodie Two-Shoes ;-)

you only get killed by gs if you try to wear two nonweapons at the same time

Oxarhamar
11-12-2014, 03:26 PM
During the creation process I did a noob mistake and forgot to select "true neutral' and took the default "lawful good".

I'm almost level 4 - just re-roll or is it going to make a huge difference?

Note: I'm a casual player that won't be TRing this character since I'm just having fun at low levels but will eventually get to L20 and higher I hope.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Meh it's not going to make or break your build.

Could splash Monk or Paly now if your into that type of thing.

each has its advantages if your not after capstone.

Esmer
11-16-2014, 02:03 PM
Hit level 9 last night finishing Cult of the Six with a friend. I'm still enjoying it and haven't seen the npc's using unholy weapons yet.

Need to make sure I get blade barrier as early as possible - heard it is our best spell.