PDA

View Full Version : Voice-Chat again

Robbenklopper
11-05-2014, 07:19 AM
Dear Devs,

you did very well with the DDO pre-loader. Now throw an eye on the voice-chat. Have a deal with an open-source Software that reaaaaaaally rocks, implement Skype or MSN or TS howsoever and make available ingame OR improve the existing VoIP. This will make uncertain newbies stay, playerbase grow, raise the number of LFMs and PUGs for quests and raids. We Need this for coordination of Actions in Party or simply helping others in quest by advice! all the text-Chat is awkward and costs time we don´t have to express what we want to say.

RD2play
11-05-2014, 07:48 AM
Dear Devs,

you did very well with the DDO pre-loader. Now throw an eye on the voice-chat. Have a deal with an open-source Software that reaaaaaaally rocks, implement Skype or MSN or TS howsoever and make available ingame. the actual VoIP is a disaster, i don´t get (close to) anything when People talk. We Need clear Quality voice please.
This will make uncertain newbies stay, playerbase grow, raise the number of LFMs and PUGs for quests and raids. We Need this for coordination of Actions in Party or simply helping others in quest by advice! all the text-Chat is awkward and costs time we don´t have to express what we want to say. You Need to invest in that factor, and you will make more cash from that and DDO will Keep sustaining.

Please NO !!! I dont need third party commercial buisnises scanning what I say over the in game VoiP. Also for me the ingame VoiP works fine, true I had to fiddle a bit with the settings both in-game and in the OS but it works fine from my end. !

Loromir
11-05-2014, 07:50 AM
Voice chat works fine for me. I don't see any change as necessary.

Robbenklopper
11-05-2014, 08:02 AM
Please NO !!! I dont need third party commercial buisnises scanning what I say over the in game VoiP. Also for me the ingame VoiP works fine, true I had to fiddle a bit with the settings both in-game and in the OS but it works fine from my end. !

Ok, i changed my wish for maybe an improvemt of the actual 3rd Party VoIP Software. That´s the Thing for me, it´s so hard for me to get what People say. You say you fiddled a bit, what Setting or changes can you recommend?

RD2play
11-05-2014, 09:09 AM
Ok, i changed my wish for maybe an improvemt of the actual 3rd Party VoIP Software. That´s the Thing for me, it´s so hard for me to get what People say. You say you fiddled a bit, what Setting or changes can you recommend?

it took some time, (30 mins?) but basically (I should look this up) make sure your microphone works well when testing out of the game then party up with a friend or someone else who wants to help(would be nice if they have a mic also). the more ppl the better as everyone will have his settings different. first I increased the gain and voice play-back stuff to max and the capture as low as possible then check mic test and handsfree voice so you dont have to hold down F (default) then fiddle till you can hear your self at a decent volume. put hands free and test off and ask around if te others can hear you fine... rince repeat.

sometimes there are ppl who are still quiet, but usually thats because they have low gain on their end. this is only a real issue when the DM talks or when in combat (since i have combat sounds quite high)

If it is just that you hear others at low volume, lower all game-sounds and max viop in game, under the sound options .... need to open the game to get the actual names for the options. will get back at you

RD2play
11-05-2014, 10:07 AM
I will just go over all the options in the sound options tab (ctrl+o -> audio)

Master volume - Slider - this affects all sounds both game and voice, its the volume button for everything as it were. (I have it set to between 50-75% and use my computter sound keys to increase/decrease sound, I dont have this on 100% since you could go over hardware threshholds in your machine and break stuff)

Sound effects - slider - these are the effect like when you reach a slayer count, or breakables (i have this quite high abou 75%)

Combat sounds - slider - buffs, weapon attacks, huffing and puffing while swinging your shield etc (also quite high 50-75%)

Music - slider - the game music if you like it turn it up (I have it at 0.04)

ambeint sounds - slider - wind water falling, mostly enviormental effects (also have this at 004)

DM voice - slider - this are the DM narrations (have this low also but still it manages to scream my ears some times, maybe the prblem is that turbine should sinchronize their entire sound database as it looks like the sounds are all on a different recoding volume, sinchronising will flatten some of the sounds but make them all fit in the same loudness spectrum)

UI volume - slider - This is the most important for voice chat ! i have it maxed since it allows you to hear other players. (if you are only interrested in VoiP and run you own music for instance you want only this and master maxed the rst turned off or set to really low, kinda how i have set it up)

------
Sound playbeck device - multiselector - I usually leave it on the default but if you have thirt party sound manipulation software this is where you can select to use it
Focus loss behavour - multiselector - I leave it at the default, but if you have allot of trouble with your mic (especially of hands free these option might be for you) (maybe a real sound guy can help here)

Enable EAX - checkbox - this allow for advanced sound software usage (dunno if i have it checked at hme will hae to see later)

Disable game sounds - checkbox - you can use this to turn off music/effect/ambeint/combat sounds, a good option to check this when trying to get VoiP to work but after you will have to fiddle with the voumes (top sliders) if you want both game sounds and vioce.

Disable DM sound - checkbox - disabes GM sound (might be nice at some times due to the sound files not being synchronised very well, some DM are real quiet whiele other scream you ear)

Enable voice - checkbox - this enables the use of you microphone (your microphone will only be detected by the game if it is plugged before sign-in, if for some reason you unplug you need to restart the entire game to get the microphone back) (small joke: 1billion microphone = 1 megaphone)

mic test - checkbox - you check this box to hear your self, other wont be able to hear you if checked. use this in first instance to get your mic to work for you then unchekc and party up to test if others can hear you as well.

hands-free voice - checkbox - check if you dont want to push (F-default) to talk, remeber others can find this really anoying (eating crisps? dog in the background or TV ??) so if you opt for this option have you voice capture high enough to filter out those sounds but low enough it will capture when talking.

Voice volume - slider - I have this maxed (not real clear if this is my side or for others, but in both cases i want to be heart and hear others, so max)

microphone gain - slider - this increases the the volume of the recorded sound by a DB factor (note 3DB = 2*loud) I have this maxed, also out of the game. if I hear people complain about distortion turn it down as it will amplify recorded statc also.

voice capure treshhold - slider - this is used only when on hands-free voice to filter static and background noise. it will have to be high enough not to annoy others (constantly on) and low enough to capture you when talking(without having to scream). (I always just use F-to-talk so i have it set to the lowest setting to use for selftest only)

playback latency - this option controlles when to send out your sound-bites, this will be connection related (need to fiddle here again) if you have a real good connection you can put it to its lowest setting, if you have a bad connection set it to max. (beleive it goes from 1ms - 2.5ms will checkthis later) if you get stutter increase latency if all is good decrease, you know latency on your side is additive to the latency on the others side, not to mention on line latency and server latency (wil still be faster than typing but could be up to a few seconds if we are talking 2 bad connections and high traffic, ever fail an abbot tile ??? this is why !).

outpu device - multiselector - here it shows which sound output device is used if connected (speakers for instance, some systems have multiple set-ups you can select here if you have more than one sound output device)

input device - multiselector - here it shows if you have a sound input device (micrphone) connected, if greyed out this means the game did not detect you microphone an you will have to restart the game (not just relog) make sure your microphone is plugged in before signing in. if you have more than one sound-input-device connected to your machine you can select which one to use here.

hope this will clear things up a bit :), if anyone sees any mistakes I made please correct me

GL

Dmister
11-18-2014, 10:17 PM
How about a simple adjustment to voice chat such as adding the ability to adjust individual players volume.

Nachomammashouse
11-19-2014, 02:51 AM
Can we get volume control slider for each party member? I hate asking people to turn up/down their gain :(
Also so I don't have to squelch Coughy McSneezeabunch that thinks voice activation is a good idea. Doritos McScreamykids is pretty irritating too.