PDA

View Full Version : LF Advice: character builds

Gabriel980
11-04-2014, 01:28 PM
This is my first post in these forums.

I am a returning premium player, after a brief experience two years ago.
I have two characters (Argonessen), both are dwarves (I like them!) with 28 points builds and I had plans to TR them when they reach 20.

One is a lvl 7 Cleric character, mainly played as a battle cleric with buffs and heals, which I was initially thinking to take to lvl 20 as a pure cleric but now I am unsure.
I also have a multi class lvl 5, Rogue 1 / Fighter 3 / Cleric 1. I have trained 1 level as Cleric to give him some self-healing capacity.

I would like to have advice as what to do. I am a casual, mature player, who plays for fun. I like playing solo (particularly melee) and, with a hireling, I have been able to solo all dungeons so far at the appropriate level (except the ocasionally odd quest, like "stealthy repossession"). I have no paid content, altough I believe I can reach 20 with free quests only, right? I am however considering buying "Menace of the Underdark" later to enjoy endgame content.

Besides any general helpfull comments you may add, my specific doubts are:
1) Is the end game content soloable?
2) Should I really TR my characters, particularly in order to enjoy end game content (lvl 21-28)? Ou is a lesser reincarnation (LR +20) be enough? As a premium account, I understand that through LR I would still have 28 pts builds unless I buy 32 pts builds in the store, while trough TR I could have 34 pts builds without paying for it, right?
3) Should I add any specific class to my first character? It is a bit annoying to have no disarm trap capacity but I just protect from energy and move forward. I was planning to keep it as a pure cleric, LR it around level 10 or 11 to redesign it towards a more spell focused build (necro?).
4) What class distribution would be best for my second character? I was thinking of having a trapper fighter with self healing: R2/F15/C3? R2/F13/C5? Or R1/F12/C7?
5) I now have access to Drow. Any suggested good builds for a third character?
6) What would you consider as absolute necessary buys with Turbine points, besides MotU, to enjoy endgame content?

That is it for now! Thanks in advance for any constructive comments.

GK

Theolin
11-04-2014, 02:32 PM

I have two characters (Argonessen), both are dwarves (I like them!) with 28 points builds and I had plans to TR them when they reach 20.

One is a lvl 7 Cleric character, mainly played as a battle cleric with buffs and heals, which I was initially thinking to take to lvl 20 as a pure cleric but now I am unsure.
I also have a multi class lvl 5, Rogue 1 / Fighter 3 / Cleric 1. I have trained 1 level as Cleric to give him some self-healing capacity.

I would like to have advice as what to do. I am a casual, mature player, who plays for fun. I like playing solo (particularly melee) and, with a hireling, I have been able to solo all dungeons so far at the appropriate level (except the ocasionally odd quest, like "stealthy repossession"). I have no paid content, altough I believe I can reach 20 with free quests only, right? I am however considering buying "Menace of the Underdark" later to enjoy endgame content.

2) Should I really TR my characters, particularly in order to enjoy end game content (lvl 21-28)? Ou is a lesser reincarnation (LR +20) be enough? As a premium account, I understand that through LR I would still have 28 pts builds unless I buy 32 pts builds in the store, while trough TR I could have 34 pts builds without paying for it, right?
3) Should I add any specific class to my first character? It is a bit annoying to have no disarm trap capacity but I just protect from energy and move forward. I was planning to keep it as a pure cleric, LR it around level 10 or 11 to redesign it towards a more spell focused build (necro?).
4) What class distribution would be best for my second character? I was thinking of having a trapper fighter with self healing: R2/F15/C3? R2/F13/C5? Or R1/F12/C7?
6) What would you consider as absolute necessary buys with Turbine points, besides MotU, to enjoy endgame content?

GK

1) yes & no depending eNorm / eHard usually, with some exceptions eElite not so much till you really understand the game
2) Reincarnating ....

LR is used to fix errors in a build or to tweek it
TRing - start the toon over with slightly more power, I would only suggest this if you have a goal in mind and don't mind the grind (it is)

The 28/32/34/26 build points ... only a few toons really need those extra points, i know this is blasphemy but ....

You can also unlock 32 point builds by getting 1750 total favor on one toon

Don't know if it can be done without getting some packs though - if you have access to everything then this is the better way to go and its fairly easy to do

3) its very hard to add trapping after the fact due to needed skill point to make it viable - its better to not do this
4) depends on how you want to play that char
5) there are several choices ... only a few optimal ones due to the stat spread on them

what needs all dex, int, chr - its the poor mans 32 point build

6) content first other things second

for TP points - choices would be giant hold, necro 4, then orchard, then maybe some of the others that have epic content
for the 2 expansion packs - i think one is discounted if you buy one of them with $ though the online store and I think (would have to check prices again) is a better deal to buy them that way then to spend TPs on the packs (also i think they throw in some other specials as well)

rexservorum
11-04-2014, 02:37 PM
0. It's possible to get to 20 without spending money. You can get TP with favor, then use it to buy key adventure packs. In decreasing order of usefulness I recommend Vale of Twilight, Ruins of Gianthold, Necropolis pt. 4, and Delera's Tomb. All of these have excellent XP quests and (except for DT) a wilderness/slayer area and raid. Also, Lesser Reincarnation will give your character 32 build points as long as you have unlocked that via purchase or gaining 1750 favor on a character. Here's a great (though outdated) F2P guide:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/198865-RoBi3-0-s-Free-to-Play-Guide

1. I'm not the best equipped to answer this question, but I've been able to solo most epic (20+ which I assume you mean by endgame) content that I've tried on normal difficulty. Soloing Epic Elite is reserved for the most specialized builds with the best equipment. I'm right there with you in that I prefer to solo everything, but my attitude comes from a time when players would look down on you if you didn't already know the content by heart before joining a group. That attitude seems to have faded by now, so give groups a try in case our reasons for soloing were similar.

2. TR is a build choice primarily. There are many advanced builds out there which depend on 34/36 build points, past life feats, or even the completionist feat. Unless you have your heart set on one of those, all TR gives you is some prestige due to the symbols around your character name, along with the ability to start with 34 points. Obviously it also provides the ability to switch from a class you've grown tired of, reset your race, etc.

3. Pure cleric is absolutely doable and strong. You will have great DPS with Blade Barrier and several insta-kill options. Cleric/Rogue is a tough build because it depends on so many different stats. As long as traps don't one-shot you, which should generally only happen on Elite difficulty, you can just heal up afterwards or join a party. Here's a new-friendly pure caster cleric:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/422552-Necro-Cleric-for-new-players

4. This is tricky for the same reason as #3, plus the fact that fighters get few skill points per level. Trappers need to have at least Search and Disable maxed to be effective, and Spot is important too. Then you have Heal for your spell effectiveness and utility skills like Jump and Balance. You should have a +20 Lesser Heart of Wood in your inventory from a previous update, and I'd recommend going for a fighter/cleric warpriest. A good build is here:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/426765-Kensei-Warpriest-for-new-players-(Human-12-8-Fighter-Cleric)

5. If you have Drow and want to solo the game, you can't get much better than a Pale Master 18/2 Wizard/Rogue - self-healing, full trapping, and good ability to clear mobs. These two classes synergize very well, so you'll have enough skill points for everything. This build does Human, but with Drow you'll have better success with your instakill spells later on.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/422622-Pale-Trapper-for-new-players-(Human-18-2-Wizard-Rogue)

6. Shared Bank is incredibly useful, but not required by any means. See #0 for my recommended adventure packs.

Kasiddy
11-04-2014, 10:48 PM

GK

1) It is theoretically possible to reach 20 with free to play content, but you will have to repeat the quests above level 12 quite a lot. I would strongly suggest banking all the xp you can above level 9 so you can keep running lower level quests without a significant overlevel penalty if you go pure FtP until you hit 20. Most quests are solo-able on normal or hard. To get all your favor you will need to play on elite at least once and you will likely need a group for that if you want to do them at-level.

2) You do not need to TR and level up again or LR to progress past 20 and have fun if you have a solid character when you arrive at 20 in the first place. That said, the extra build points and (eventually) the stacking feats from TRs are very nice to have.

3) I would concentrate on your 7th level cleric, keeping it pure, with the goal of eventually attaining 1750 favor. That will unlock 32 point builds for you on your server. You will need to purchase some additional packs to do this. On clerics, Blade Barrier, Implosion, and Destruction tend to be your go-to offensive spells, sometimes with some Energy Drain or Symbol of Death if you need to soften the mobs up a bit first.

4) The rogue/fighter/cleric is interesting.
A Rog2/Fighter13/Cleric5 is viable, but very difficult with 28 points. It would really depend on how you distributed your starting stats to determine if you should try to do something with it, or if it just won't work 15 or so levels from now.

5) Drow would make a good wiz, rog/wiz, bard, or paladin. Bards and Paladins have received some very nice buffs since the last time you played. I do not have a paladin at the moment (quite a few guildies have made one) but I'm still having a lot of fun running around with my swashbuckler bard/rogue, which has decent self-heals, trapping, support, and DPS. Decent solo capability on any of those, too.

6) MotU is a good start, I'd say a necessity. Then Ruins of Gianthold, Shadowfell Conspiracy, Shadow Under Thunderholme, and Necropolis 4 will get you most of the popular current leveling and end-game content along with MotU.

I would get Gianthold, Necro 4, MotU, Shadowfell, and Shadow Under Thunderholme in that order. Get the first two when you are around level 13 or 14. Then MotU and Shadowfell at 18 or so, and Shadow Under Thunderholme once you get near cap and have a character you want to keep there for a while. You could skip on Gianthold and Necro until you are past 20, but it will make leveling up much easier if you get them earlier and play the heroic versions of the quests while you are under level 20.

Honestly, just being 7th level (or 5th), and on a first life, it won't be a great sacrifice to just reroll something unless you've made some kind of significant investment in the character, like BTC conveniences from the store. If you have a +20 Heart, I wouldn't use it on a first life, low level character. Reroll or start a new character instead. Don't buy hearts to LR anything before posting the stats and feats you have now and asking for feedback first.

Any extra Turbine Points - Shared Bank Space is incredibly convenient and useful if you play multiple characters. You can use it to transfer BTA gear or ordinary unbound loot. Get some. You'll like it.

Jingwei
11-05-2014, 02:32 AM
Note that buying MotU for real money also includes epic destinies. If you buy MotU for turbine points, you have to but epic destinies separately.

I think a LR now also upgrades your build from 28 to 32 points, since they removed the distinction between LR and GR.

It's possible to sole everything on epic elite that is technically soloable, but I'd say it's something that 1% or less of the population can do. Soloing everything on epic hard is considerably easier, and I'd guess at least 50% (if not considerably more) of the population can do that.

If you haven't done so already, it's worth running a character to 100 favor on each server. You get turbine point (TP) bonuses for reaching certain favor totals for the first time on a server, so the first 100 favor gets you 125 TP, total.

Since all your characters are still pretty low level, contact your local smithy alliance smith for a better set of gear.

For a third character, I'd recommend a stalwart swashbuckler (bard 12, fighter 6, rogue 2)

FuzzyDuck81
11-05-2014, 07:32 AM

GK

I think it's been worked out that you can reach 20 with only free stuff yeah - though that's at least in part due to spending your free TP from favour on adventure packs. Still, if you're getting MOTU then i'd advise waiting until the black friday offers, that usually gets a nice discount, or you could get the more standard edition version for the base pack price & it'll include a bunch of adventure packs too, and even some extra turbine points iirc. Just check the DDO market page for it.
1) Most content is soloable on normal & hard, some on elite, though it depends a lot on the capabilities of the player & the character (a few quests have mechanics that require grouping unfortunately) - but epic elite is only really for the ubers to solo, though isn't really all that bad in a group so long as you take a tactical approach with some care & ideally pre-knowledge of the quest.
2) TRing helps somewhat, though i'm fairly sure that a basic LR will upgrade a 28 point to a 32 point build now ever since they stopped doing the greater hearts (if you have a+20 heart, keep hold of it in case you need/want to do a complete character rebuild without having to re-level). The extra stat points & past life bonuses are nice, but the really fun thing about TRing is having higher-level toys (older raid loot, greensteel etc.) available at the item's minimum level rather than the level you got it at, which means you can be ridiculously overpowered for a little while & just steamroll stuff that gave you trouble before :)
3) I'd say don't worry too much about it, though a couple fighter levels for bonus feats, or 2 levels of paladin for the saves (bear in mind this will be capped in future, but still up to +8 with a 2 level splash is nice) are pretty hard to go wrong with if you're enjoying the melee warpriest approach. A 3rd level of either will get you the ability to get the defensive stance for extra resilience, though naturally that's going to require you diluting your clericy abilities somewhat - but it's totally viable & effective. For a more spell-focussed one, stay pure, but beyond that i don't really play offensive casters... or ones that worry about DCs, anyway, so can't help much.
4) Hard to say without knowing more about that character's setup.
5) Main benefits drow get are the pre-allocated DEX, CHA & INT "poor-man's 32point build" - i'm not keen on their racial benefits really. As for a build, 16bard/2rogue/2fighter swashbuckler using single weapon fighting with shortsword/rapier & buckler - fast, great damage, some self-healing, nice buffs, crowd control, a powerful instakill, trap skills.. these guys are awesome fun, though if they have one downside it's that literally everything feels slow compared to them. The 12/6/2 build is very nice too, but my personal preference is the 16/2/2 for more spellcasting ability.
6) Assuming you get the MOTU pack with the destinies (which is where the real power in epic levels comes from), then it's mainly adventure packs really, and some of the more "utility" based stuff - shared bank with extra space, the container bank, stuff like that.

unbongwah
11-05-2014, 12:27 PM
See my just-posted drow paladin thread.

Gabriel980
11-05-2014, 03:24 PM
Thank you all for your interesting comments!

My problem with Drow characters is that they are usually very skinny, and upgrading CON makes you lose the benefits you could have from the other stats. That is why I asked for advice.
rexservorum: I took a quick look at a Pale Master 18/2 Wizard/Rogue (maybe too quick) but it wasn't clear to me how wiz/rogue would have self healing.
unbongwah: I will take a look at the Drow Paladin.

rexservorum and Kasiddy: both my toons have a +20 Lesser Heart of Wood in their inventory (besides the 0 LR any new character gets). This is one of the reasons I am not rerolling for now.

Jingwei: I am not sure what "contact your local smithy alliance smith for a better set of gear" means. What do you mean? I am not aware of that. And yes, I intend to eventually buy MotU in the DDO Market using real money instead of Turbine points.

Jingwei and FuzzyDuck81: I think the 32 pts build still requires a upgrade (either in turbine points or by reaching 1750 favor). At least that is what the General Reincarnation Guide says. Do you have other sources?
https://www.ddo.com/en/game/game-guides/general-reincarnation-guide

FuzzyDuck81: yes, I am patient and I am waiting for black friday and cyber monday before buying anything!!

I will later post the details of my second character to facilitate further commments.

Marrow
11-05-2014, 03:25 PM

If you're planning on buying the expansion packs but don't plan on needing them right this second, you might want to wait until the black Friday/cyber Monday sales at the end of the month to see what they cost through the DDO market. I think they were ~75% off last year.

*edit: I see you already had this in mind :)

unbongwah
11-05-2014, 03:42 PM
rexservorum: I took a quick look at a Pale Master 18/2 Wizard/Rogue (maybe too quick) but it wasn't clear to me how wiz/rogue would have self healing.
Pale Masters self-(un)heal thru undead forms (zombie->vampire->wraith->lich) and the use of Death Aura and Neg Energy Burst spells; they can also equip a Boon of Undeath (http://ddowiki.com/page/Boon_of_Undeath) item. ETA: prior to U19, a PM had to wait until wiz lvl 6 to unlock their first undead form; but now they can take zombie form at wiz lvl 3, making them self-unhealers that much sooner.

See these threads:
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/405017-Pale-Master-Guide
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/422622-Pale-Trapper-for-new-players-(Human-18-2-Wizard-Rogue)

FuzzyDuck81
11-05-2014, 04:10 PM
Pale Masters self-(un)heal thru undead forms (zombie->vampire->wraith->lich) and the use of Death Aura and Neg Energy Burst spells; they can also equip a Boon of Undeath (http://ddowiki.com/page/Boon_of_Undeath) item. ETA: prior to U19, a PM had to wait until wiz lvl 6 to unlock their first undead form; but now they can take zombie form at wiz lvl 3, making them self-unhealers that much sooner.

See these threads:
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/405017-Pale-Master-Guide

Note for casters, if you right-click on the spell in your hotbar you can assign metamagics to it specifically & there's nothing stopping you from having multiple instances of the same spell with different metamagic setups, eg. a basic version of DoT spells for the 1st couple of stacks, then put teh fully max & empowered one for the final 3rd stack & maintain it with that, it can save you SPs in fights vs. high-health bosses. On undead dudes specifically, set heighten to "always off" for the death auras & negative energy burst - although they *will* hurt living enemies, you have other stuff for that & it'll save you a lot of SPs since those will primarily be used for self-healing.

Jingwei
11-05-2014, 07:42 PM
Jingwei: I am not sure what "contact your local smithy alliance smith for a better set of gear" means. What do you mean? I am not aware of that. And yes, I intend to eventually buy MotU in the DDO Market using real money instead of Turbine points.

Jingwei and FuzzyDuck81: I think the 32 pts build still requires a upgrade (either in turbine points or by reaching 1750 favor). At least that is what the General Reincarnation Guide says. Do you have other sources?
https://www.ddo.com/en/game/game-guides/general-reincarnation-guide

The Smithy Alliance thread is just a few threads below this one, or can be found here (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/437481-Smithy-Alliance-Providing-gear-for-new-players) for future reference.

Assuming that's right, then you do need to unlock (don't bother buying) 32 point builds first.

mna
11-06-2014, 03:20 AM
Note that buying MotU for real money also includes epic destinies. If you buy MotU for turbine points, you have to but epic destinies separately.

I think a LR now also upgrades your build from 28 to 32 points, since they removed the distinction between LR and GR.

Yes, it does the upgrade now... if / once you've gotten one character past the 1750 favor threshold on that server, that is. And 1750 isn't reachable without adventure packs.

(I'm all-f2p myself, as in I have officially not spent any money on this game. I do have epic destinies by now but still no MotU. ... unofficially, I do have an original euro game box but the activation code from that was no longer usable anywhere by the time I opened it.)

BTW, do remember the challenges too. (Cannith and Eveningstar.) Those are technically not f2p but can be played with the daily tokens, and if you grab tokens even on days when you run just regular quests, well...

If you haven't done so already, it's worth running a character to 100 favor on each server. You get turbine point (TP) bonuses for reaching certain favor totals for the first time on a server, so the first 100 favor gets you 125 TP, total.
For a third character, I'd recommend a stalwart swashbuckler (bard 12, fighter 6, rogue 2)

I recommend that you experiment a bit with different kinds of character builds while doing the 100 favor runs. Preferably before deleting/rerolling your existing characters.

At least, if your existing characters have something like birthday boxes or raider reward boxes, and the +20 hearts... those boxes have useful stuff that is quite difficult for a f2p player to replace.