PDA

View Full Version : New Endgame Concept - prestige

EdwinRophe
11-04-2014, 10:57 AM
Here’s my proposal for end game. I think turbine should take a page right out of the 80’s and see why people would spend countless hours and money on Arcade games. The reason was so they could get their name on the high score list.

I think DDO should create a new difficulty Level for quests called prestige.

This difficulty would automatically Scale up each time a quest is completed. The scaling would apply to all new instances.
Additionally I would propose a new Heros board be added to the Hall of Heros that would track the quests and the most recent completion parties, Guild, Time and Scaling difficulty.
I believe more ppl would play quests just to get their name on the board. Could likely easily apply this to all quests with little dev time as you woul only be monkeying with the scaling. With 200 + quests out their, ppl would likely play older quests just to get there name on the boards
Additionally, they could keep track of the number of quest each player is a “leader” on and provide an over all high score board in the Hall of heros by Patron, by level and just across the board. Additionally tracks Raids etc
I would also suggest the update the Quest Entrance Screen (the one you choose difficulty at) to show the leading party, time, guild and Scaling of the current leader

I do not believe this would require a lot of effort as all the Hook points are already in place and it would just be a matter of tracking this in a simple new DB table.

TrinityTurtle
11-04-2014, 11:05 AM
My friends and I spent those hours because it was more fun than doing nothing in our area. Our self-esteems weren't tied to our names on a video game (despite being there, I do admit that), it was just entertainment. The parks had gotten dangerous at that time and we weren't allowed to go there, they didn't want us roaming on the streets, the arcade was the option.

And I think this idea would be horrible or grouping, that poor new player that has been taken under the wing of a veteran who has done the quest multiple times would have a nightmare event.

Loromir
11-04-2014, 12:02 PM
My friends and I spent those hours because it was more fun than doing nothing in our area. Our self-esteems weren't tied to our names on a video game (despite being there, I do admit that), it was just entertainment. The parks had gotten dangerous at that time and we weren't allowed to go there, they didn't want us roaming on the streets, the arcade was the option.

And I think this idea would be horrible or grouping, that poor new player that has been taken under the wing of a veteran who has done the quest multiple times would have a nightmare event.

So your saying you wouldn't be p!zzed if they unplugged the game that had you initials on after you had spent hours working for that record? Do you not remember George Costanza?

I like the idea...but I doubt Turbine has any incentive or resources to make it happen.

Hobgoblin
11-04-2014, 12:07 PM
no.

Inoukchuk
11-04-2014, 12:38 PM
I'm torn. I wanted to hate the idea, mostly because I don't think we should encourage ego mongering, which is already too prevalent. But, I think it might actually work. At least in the short term. In the long term I'm not so sure it's good for the game. The game has already largely degenerated into elitist groups that run exclusively with each other instead of pugging, or people that solo, and way too much ego. I don't think this change would do anything but push us further in that direction.

As much as so many people hate the idea, the old forced grouping style (required trinity, etc) really improved the pug scene, which is the heart of an MMO. I solo almost exclusively now, except when I can find a guildy on in my level range and sharing my goals. It's not because I want to solo so much as it's because the pug scene is dead. 95% of the good players don't pug, which means not only is it difficult to put a pug together for any given quest (much less find one up to join and quickly fill) but there is a high probability that the players you get for it won't be very good if you do. That's a very sad state.

EdwinRophe
11-04-2014, 01:13 PM
I don't disagree that this is an atttempt to stroke Epeen's, but as i see it, it could revive many older under run quests/raids, plus lets face it. Most people run the new content to get the new loot and get more powerful so they can do........ nothing but complain there's no end game. This would give those people more incentive to login, would encourage competition and hopefully help to keep vets engaged.

As for new players, no question some thing has to be done. I have toyed with just running low lvl content, and putting an LFM up that is a basic, ask me for help with any quest and i'll join you type thing. I was thinking of starting a help channel on Thelanis to that end and those of us that have been around for a while could easily make quick disposable characters to help out new Players.

Impaqt
11-04-2014, 01:15 PM
Here’s my proposal for end game. I think turbine should take a page right out of the 80’s and see why people would spend countless hours and money on Arcade games. The reason was so they could get their name on the high score list.

I think DDO should create a new difficulty Level for quests called prestige.

This difficulty would automatically Scale up each time a quest is completed. The scaling would apply to all new instances.
Additionally I would propose a new Heros board be added to the Hall of Heros that would track the quests and the most recent completion parties, Guild, Time and Scaling difficulty.
I believe more ppl would play quests just to get their name on the board. Could likely easily apply this to all quests with little dev time as you woul only be monkeying with the scaling. With 200 + quests out their, ppl would likely play older quests just to get there name on the boards
Additionally, they could keep track of the number of quest each player is a “leader” on and provide an over all high score board in the Hall of heros by Patron, by level and just across the board. Additionally tracks Raids etc
I would also suggest the update the Quest Entrance Screen (the one you choose difficulty at) to show the leading party, time, guild and Scaling of the current leader

I do not believe this would require a lot of effort as all the Hook points are already in place and it would just be a matter of tracking this in a simple new DB table.

This might actually be an interesting concept. Alas, you greatly underestimate the difficulty in implementing something like this. You are basically saying you want to create infinite difficulties for every quest in the game tracked by individual player. ANd more importantly, groups.

What exactly would the tracking be based on? you we have to use the exact same group for every quest in order for the quest to progress to the next level? Or maybe this is just a solo thing?

It might be cool to try something like this on a single "solo only" dungeon, I just dont see how it would be remotely feasible to implement this in every quest in the game.

Uska
11-04-2014, 02:46 PM
No thanks we have enough braggarts already and I have no,desire to compete against others or to see dev time spent on such a system

EdwinRophe
11-04-2014, 03:44 PM
This might actually be an interesting concept. Alas, you greatly underestimate the difficulty in implementing something like this. You are basically saying you want to create infinite difficulties for every quest in the game tracked by individual player. ANd more importantly, groups.

What exactly would the tracking be based on? you we have to use the exact same group for every quest in order for the quest to progress to the next level? Or maybe this is just a solo thing?

It might be cool to try something like this on a single "solo only" dungeon, I just dont see how it would be remotely feasible to implement this in every quest in the game.

Not Reallly, what i am suggesting is

1) create a new DB table that would have a record in it that contained a list of the party members, scale rating and possibly time for each instance of a quest run on completion
2) When ever a quest window would be opened, the system would query that DB and determine a new scale rating based on the highest one run.

If they wanted to cheap out on it, they could make the DB only keep the highest record, but to me as a db admin and dev, I would want the history so I could do events etc and compare year over year / month over month but thats me

Shadow2024
11-04-2014, 05:26 PM
I like this idea, but this could be working individually!
Like, lets say i choose to take this challenge the first time, the dungeon would be EE (or Elite if the dongeon doesnt have Epic) difficulty. I succeed, next time it would be CR + 1, etc.
Monsters and traps scale with the new CR. (like the cove?)

Then my friend want to join and try with me.
I can open at CR+1 and he can open at basic CR. Of course i open with CR+1, we succeed and now we both can open at CR+2.

That mean, we can ALWAYS try to beat a difficulty a bit tougher! That also mean we can be carried by powerful beings and skyrocket our records. So maybe adding an option to whip my progress and restart at +0 would be nice.

Anyway, this way, its really adding 1 column to the BD. Just like it keep track of which difficulty you completed, you add the column "Prestige CR"

Also, if you really want the top scores, you can show the names of people with highest CR+X, but i doubt it should be done for the sanity of the community :P

Neomarica
11-05-2014, 02:03 AM
Anyway, this way, its really adding 1 column to the BD. Just like it keep track of which difficulty you completed, you add the column "Prestige CR"

It's really not. There's a whole bunch of values(HP, attack bonus, saves, damage probably AC, PRR, MRR, DR, caster level and a bunch of other things as well) that needs to be scaled for the CR to mean anything. And the system needs to be coded to apply those scalings automatically. And it needs to be thoroughly tested so that it doesn't result in something nonsensical, like monsters that are impossibly tough/ludicrously weak for their CR. And probably a whole bunch of other details that need to be taken into account due to existing systems.

TrinityTurtle
11-05-2014, 11:04 AM
So your saying you wouldn't be p!zzed if they unplugged the game that had you initials on after you had spent hours working for that record? Do you not remember George Costanza?

I like the idea...but I doubt Turbine has any incentive or resources to make it happen.

Of course not, it's a GAME. It's not a cure for cancer that saved billions of lives or anything else worthwhile, it was time spent playing a video game. Who cares if they erased my name? The fun was in PLAYING IT, not in looking at my initials on a screen.

Ralmeth
11-05-2014, 03:24 PM
I don't like the idea (sorry OP), but this seems like it would push people to play the most optimal build in order to get the best score, instead of promoting build diversity, which is a strength of D&D. Also, it promotes the individual rather than grouping...In a day where grouping has become more scarce I don't think there should be another incentive for people to solo, kill steal, etc. to get a better score.

The_Human_Cypher
11-05-2014, 11:11 PM
I like the general concept behind this idea, if not the specifics. Creating competition between guilds and players would encourage game activity and a broader range of content being played. Adding trophies for EE raids completions (perhaps the final use for the Cargo Hold once the old buffs go away) and other ranking features would be fun and add a new dimension to DDO.