PDA

View Full Version : returning player and might as well be a newbie

Ininnaig
10-27-2014, 10:39 PM
Hello everyone,

Just returning to DDO from a multi year break. I remember very little from my time playing ddo and what i do remember is most likely out of date and useless. Before leaving ddo i lvled a human lvl 20 fighter who dual wields khopesh. I did a few raids and got a greensteel khopesh made but stopped shortly after that. The forums had a number of post with different class/enhancement builds but I didn't see any for a pure fighter. I don't remember if it was a viable class even back when i played but now I am guessing its obsolete? I have not idea on how I should continue. Would it be best for me to start over? Can i reincarnate my fighter into a current dps build? If i can make a 20 fighter that dualwields khpeshes work, then whats a good build? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Lonnbeimnech
10-28-2014, 12:18 AM
a few ideas on the subject here

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/450436-Best-Khopesh-Build?highlight=best+twf+build

Loromir
10-28-2014, 09:08 AM
Hello everyone,

Just returning to DDO from a multi year break. I remember very little from my time playing ddo and what i do remember is most likely out of date and useless. Before leaving ddo i lvled a human lvl 20 fighter who dual wields khopesh. I did a few raids and got a greensteel khopesh made but stopped shortly after that. The forums had a number of post with different class/enhancement builds but I didn't see any for a pure fighter. I don't remember if it was a viable class even back when i played but now I am guessing its obsolete? I have not idea on how I should continue. Would it be best for me to start over? Can i reincarnate my fighter into a current dps build? If i can make a 20 fighter that dualwields khpeshes work, then whats a good build? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

You could TR...but if you check your inventory, you might have a +20 heart of wood that would let you lesser reincarnate into something totally different without having to start over at level one.

Honestly, the best Melee class in game right now is Pure Paladin. High Str, High Con, High Chr. Holy Sword and Zeal are your friends.

Ininnaig
10-28-2014, 10:01 AM
You could TR...but if you check your inventory, you might have a +20 heart of wood that would let you lesser reincarnate into something totally different without having to start over at level one.

Honestly, the best Melee class in game right now is Pure Paladin. High Str, High Con, High Chr. Holy Sword and Zeal are your friends.

Hello,

Thanks for the response. I do have a heart wood in my bag. How does reincarnation work exactly?

Loromir
10-28-2014, 10:14 AM
Hello,

Thanks for the response. I do have a heart wood in my bag. How does reincarnation work exactly?

Go to the reincarnation grove within the Hall of Heros. Talk to the little hovering Orb...you will get an option for the various type of reincarnation. Choose the Lesser Reincarnation, then you will be prompted to drag your Lesser Heart of wood to the box. (Be sure to use the +20 heart of wood). This will allow you to keep all of your earned XP, but you can reallocate all of you class levels, Feats, Ability Stats, enhancements...etc. You can even change your appearance (But not race or gender or name).

It should be pretty straight forward since you are currently a pure fighter. Things start to get a little sketchy if you are multiclass.

Note....the plain Heart of wood (without the +20) will not allow you to change your class levels.

Ininnaig
10-28-2014, 10:31 AM
Go to the reincarnation grove within the Hall of Heros. Talk to the little hovering Orb...you will get an option for the various type of reincarnation. Choose the Lesser Reincarnation, then you will be prompted to drag your Lesser Heart of wood to the box. (Be sure to use the +20 heart of wood). This will allow you to keep all of your earned XP, but you can reallocate all of you class levels, Feats, Ability Stats, enhancements...etc. You can even change your appearance (But not race or gender or name).

It should be pretty straight forward since you are currently a pure fighter. Things start to get a little sketchy if you are multiclass.

Note....the plain Heart of wood (without the +20) will not allow you to change your class levels.

ok cool!

I did some looking around on the forums for a twf pure pally or fight builds but all I found were posts that were a few years old. Could you post a link to where i can find current builds for twf pure paladin and fighter? I wanna know exactly what I should do because I dont wanna waste the heart of wood.

Loromir
10-28-2014, 11:24 AM
ok cool!

I did some looking around on the forums for a twf pure pally or fight builds but all I found were posts that were a few years old. Could you post a link to where i can find current builds for twf pure paladin and fighter? I wanna know exactly what I should do because I dont wanna waste the heart of wood.

Here is a TWF Paladin Build I could find. It's a Multiclass build, but should work.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/448808-Tempal-of-the-Dog-TWF-Pal12-Ra3-Fi2

Ininnaig
10-28-2014, 12:38 PM
Here is a TWF Paladin Build I could find. It's a Multiclass build, but should work.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/448808-Tempal-of-the-Dog-TWF-Pal12-Ra3-Fi2

This is the list of feats from the post you linked.
"Feats - 7 base, 2 fighter, 1 human, 3 Epic+3Ranger=16

3 Free feats - Bow Str, TWF, Rapidshot
9 Melee - PA, Cleave, G.Cleave, ITWF, GTWF, IC Slash, OC, Stun Blow, Khopesh
3 Ranged - PBS, Manyshot, IC Ranged
1 Other - Completionist "

What feats should I take to replace the ranger/fighter and the completionist one?

Loromir
10-28-2014, 01:12 PM
This is the list of feats from the post you linked.
"Feats - 7 base, 2 fighter, 1 human, 3 Epic+3Ranger=16

3 Free feats - Bow Str, TWF, Rapidshot
9 Melee - PA, Cleave, G.Cleave, ITWF, GTWF, IC Slash, OC, Stun Blow, Khopesh
3 Ranged - PBS, Manyshot, IC Ranged
1 Other - Completionist "

What feats should I take to replace the ranger/fighter and the completionist one?

By dropping Fighter you lose 2 feats. By dropping Ranger, you lose 3 free feats. So you will only have 11 feats to work with. So you can't replace them.

You would take the 9 melee feats listed above as well as TWF and one more that looks interesting to you...(Maybe: Force of Personality or Empower Healing or Quicken).

Ininnaig
10-28-2014, 01:15 PM
By dropping Fighter you lose 2 feats. By dropping Ranger, you lose 3 free feats. So you will only have 11 feats to work with. So you can't replace them.

Didnt know that about feats. Thanks for all the help! Would it be better for my to just stick it out till 28 with my fighter or use the heart of wood now?

Loromir
10-28-2014, 01:21 PM
Didnt know that about feats. Thanks for all the help! Would it be better for my to just stick it out till 28 with my fighter or use the heart of wood now?

Read My comment above...I added to it.

It wouldn't hurt to stick it out to 28, but fighters are low on the self healing totem pole, so Paladin might make things a little easier. Now day, people usually expect players to have some form of self healing.

Ininnaig
10-28-2014, 03:19 PM
Read My comment above...I added to it.

It wouldn't hurt to stick it out to 28, but fighters are low on the self healing totem pole, so Paladin might make things a little easier. Now day, people usually expect players to have some form of self healing.

Thanks for all the help. I really do appreciate it.

mna
10-31-2014, 03:08 AM

Of course, LR'ing to Paladin only works if your alignment is Lawful Good. Alignment change is available but not free.

A pure fighter should have no significant problems farming the 20 tokens to TR on Epic Normal or from challenges, anyway, so that at least is a possible way...

EllisDee37
10-31-2014, 05:55 AM
What server are you on?

If you're on argo, I'd be happy to run some epic xp with you with some old level 25 alts of mine I haven't really run since the level cap went to 28.

Loromir
10-31-2014, 05:59 AM
Of course, LR'ing to Paladin only works if your alignment is Lawful Good. Alignment change is available but not free.

A pure fighter should have no significant problems farming the 20 tokens to TR on Epic Normal or from challenges, anyway, so that at least is a possible way...

Oh your right...I've made that same mistake myself...and still forgot about it here. Stupid alignment!!!!

unbongwah
10-31-2014, 09:54 AM
You should have both an LR +0 and LR +20 in your inventory. So you basically have three options:

Use your LR +0 to re-optimize your build, if necessary. Pure ftrs fell out of favor when U19 came out and monk / kensei became all the rage; and U22 & U23 really beefed up bards and pallies, respectively, making pure ftrs the unwanted stepchild of melee builds right now. Tempests got one major upgrade, too: Dance of Death is now much better and a huge boost to TWF AoE DPS. Nevertheless, a pure Kensei is still a solid DPS choice; and the changes to PRR/MRR and Stalwart D. mean you don't suffer quite as much dmg despite lousy saves.
Use your LR +20 to convert to a different class split. Like I said, Dance of Death is really good, so I would base any overhaul on trying to squeeze that in.
Token-farm and TR into a new char. If you wish to stick with TWF khopeshes, the thread Lonn linked is a good place to look for ideas. My vote is pal 15 / rgr 5 if you're just focused on DPS: Div Might, Ram's Might, Holy Sword, Zeal, Dance of Death, +10% offhand procs (90% w/GTWF). Can also squeeze in Manyshot.

Sample TWF Kensei if you need a template for an LR +0:

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 04.23.01
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Level 28 True Neutral Human Female
(20 Fighter \ 8 Epic)
Hit Points: 551
Spell Points: 0
BAB: 20\20\25\30\30
Fortitude: 17
Reflex: 9
Will: 5

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(28 Point) (Level 1) (Level 28)
Strength 16 26
Dexterity 15 17
Constitution 16 21
Intelligence 8 8
Wisdom 8 8
Charisma 8 8

Tomes Used
+2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 7
+4 Tome of Constitution used at level 23

Level 1 (Fighter)
Feat: (Human Bonus) Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Khopesh
Feat: (Selected) Power Attack
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Two Weapon Fighting

Level 2 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Cleave

Level 3 (Fighter)
Feat: (Selected) Least Dragonmark of Passage

Level 4 (Fighter)
Ability Raise: STR
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Great Cleave

Level 5 (Fighter)

Level 6 (Fighter)
Feat: (Selected) Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Weapon Specialization: Slashing Weapons

Level 7 (Fighter)

Level 8 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Improved Two Weapon Fighting

Level 9 (Fighter)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons

Level 10 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Greater Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons

Level 11 (Fighter)

Level 12 (Fighter)
Feat: (Selected) Greater Two Weapon Fighting
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Greater Weapon Specialization: Slashing Weapons

Level 13 (Fighter)

Level 14 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Improved Sunder

Level 15 (Fighter)
Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 16 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Stunning Blow

Level 17 (Fighter)

Level 18 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Dodge
Feat: (Selected) Precision

Level 19 (Fighter)

Level 20 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Mobility
Enhancement: Human - Human Versatility: Damage Boost (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Human - Human Adaptability: Strength (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Human - Orien Dragonmark Focus (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Human - Action Surge: Strength (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Human - Action Surge: Strength (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Human - Improved Recovery (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Human - Lesser Dragonmark of Passage (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Human - Improved Recovery (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Kensei Focus: Heavy Blades (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Spiritual Bond (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Strike With No Thought (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Power Surge (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - One Cut (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Alacrity (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Extra Action Boost (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Extra Action Boost (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Extra Action Boost (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Kensei Weapon Specialization: Heavy Blades (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Exotic Weapon Mastery (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Haste Boost (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Haste Boost (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Haste Boost (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Tactics (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Tactics (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Tactics (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Critical Accuracy (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Critical Accuracy (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Strength (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Critical Damage (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Critical Damage (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Strength (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - A Good Death (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Keen Edge (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Toughness (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Stalwart Defense (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Durable Defense (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Durable Defense (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Durable Defense (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Threatening Countenance (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Threatening Countenance (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Threatening Countenance (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Resilient Defense (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Resilient Defense (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Resilient Defense (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Instinctive Defense (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Inciting Defense (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Inciting Defense (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Inciting Defense (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Tenacious Defense (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Tenacious Defense (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Tenacious Defense (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Strength (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Swift Defense (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Strong Defense (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Strong Defense (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Strong Defense (Rank 3)

Level 21 (Epic)
Feat: (Selected) Epic: Overwhelming Critical

Level 22 (Epic)

Level 23 (Epic)

Level 24 (Epic)
Ability Raise: CON
Feat: (Selected) Epic: Epic Toughness

Level 25 (Epic)

Level 26 (Epic)
Feat: (Epic Destiny) Epic Destiny: Perfect Two Weapon Fighting

Level 27 (Epic)
Feat: (Selected) Epic: Blinding Speed

Level 28 (Epic)
Feat: (Epic Destiny) Epic Destiny: First Blood

EDIT: it's also possible to squeeze in Manyshot+IC:Ranged instead. Just take PBS/Rapid Shot/Manyshot/WF:Ranged/Bow STR/IC:Ranged instead of S.Blow/Imp Sunder/Dodge/Mobility/Toughness/eToughness.