PDA

View Full Version : Completely New Player Looking for Build Help

RoseDeSang
10-27-2014, 05:52 PM
Dear DDO Community,

I am a completely new player - I have VIP - and I am having a very hard time figuring out the first build I want to play in this game while learning it more. I have done a good bit of research and understand many of the important things about this game, but I still don't understand everything. So the build concept I have in mind is a self-sufficient melee with good attack speed, crit, and preferably decent to good aoe. Being self-sufficient is by far the most important feature, but dealing great damage is up there with it. Also a note about my playstyle - I like to rush in to combat and sort of tank. So any builds that you have in mind that you think will fit this description for someone who is new with no access to gear or 32 point build I'd appreciate. Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Rose

Grailhawk
10-27-2014, 06:00 PM
20 Paladin TWF or SWF with Knight of the Chalice capstone. For a new player i would say SWF over TWF as its easier to maintain 1 weapons then 2, but TWF does attack a bit faster which was on your list of wants. I wound't go THF as its generaly slow with out twitching and though you can learn to do that any time I wouldn't want to weigh a first life first toon player down with having to learn to twitch with all the other things they need to learn.

RoseDeSang
10-27-2014, 07:11 PM
Thank you for the advice so far but I have some more questions. What kind of feats and skills should I be aiming for with that build? Also why paladin I'm guessing because they are melee and can cast spells? What spells should I pick up as I level? What should my stats be like as a paladin. I'd imagine I'd stack str as I level, but I also need some wis or int for paladin spells right? So what kind of starting stats should I use?

unbongwah
10-27-2014, 07:22 PM
Hi, welcome to DDO. :)

I just posted a pure pally here (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/450766-New-player-looking-for-(rather-specific)-builds?p=5462156&viewfull=1#post5462156): starts out using 2H weapons, then switches to S&B using bastard swords at higher levels. I disagree with Grailhawk: I still think 2H weapons are your best DPS option early on. By the time its main shortcoming becomes pronounced (namely slower hit rate compared to GSWF or GTWF), my build switches to S&B to take advantage of DPS bonuses from Vanguard plus general survivability bonuses from shields.

Scrabbler
10-27-2014, 07:22 PM
Thank you for the advice so far but I have some more questions. What kind of feats and skills should I be aiming for with that build?
The skill you make sure to get is Balance, but only up to 7 (that's required for GSWF).

The feats you want are Power Attack, Single Weapon Fighting, Improved Single Weapon Fighting, Greater Single Weapon Fighting, Improved Critical (slash or pierce probably), and then whatever. Be extra sure to start using the Holy Sword and Zeal spells at levels 14-15.

Grailhawk
10-27-2014, 07:37 PM
Thank you for the advice so far but I have some more questions. What kind of feats and skills should I be aiming for with that build? Also why paladin I'm guessing because they are melee and can cast spells? What spells should I pick up as I level? What should my stats be like as a paladin. I'd imagine I'd stack str as I level, but I also need some wis or int for paladin spells right? So what kind of starting stats should I use?

20 human paladin
16-18 STR all level ups here
14-16 CON
08-12 DEX SWF, 15 TWF (change mind don't do a TWF paladin for your first toon stat points are too hard to do right)
08-12 INT
10-14 WIS
14-16 CHR

Skills
Max UMD
Get Balance to 7 asap
1 rank in Tumble
Jump and/or Heal after that.

Feat
Power attack or Precision
Single weapon fighting
Exotic weapon kopesh
Improved single weapon fighting
Improved critical slashing
Greater single weapon fighting
Maximize spell
Quicken spell
Overwhelming critical
Power attack or precision

41 ap in knight of the challis get the cores, the capstone, and divine might.
24 ap in defense get improved stance +15 PRR and +3 saves, and greater stance tier 20% HP and +6 STR.
12 ap in human for damage boost and healing amp II

EllisDee37
10-27-2014, 08:09 PM
I'd rather take empower healing spell than maximize, and if you decide to twist in cocoon, quicken is optional.

To the OP, there are several new player builds linked in my signature, but note that the evasion paladin is out of date and currently going through revision.

RoseDeSang
10-27-2014, 08:44 PM
Thank you very much everyone for your help. I'm going to jump in game now to start enjoying this toon. :)

DakFrost
10-27-2014, 08:52 PM
Paladins are the current easy button in DDO. If you're looking for a class that can be effective in epics on a first life, you can't go wrong with a high MRR/PRR Pally.