PDA

View Full Version : New Player looking for advice

MasterGladius
10-10-2014, 10:32 AM
I am a solo player that plays sporadically. I play an hour at a time a couple of times a week, so casual to an extreme.

I started a strength based Two Handed Weapon Fighter. He going up the Kensei tree, and using a Greatsword or Falchion as the opportunity presents itself. I'm starting to feel that a pure fighter is kind of lack luster, so I am considering multiclassing to Barb or Thief. Monk would be my first choice, but I am Neutral Good, so I am locked out of Monk/Paladin.

Any tips on how to build this character? The goal is to get to 20 and TR, and solo-ability is a big concern since my schedule does not allow for a lot of group play. Second life will be Kensei/Monk, I think, in case that is important... or should I unlock 32 point build and reroll?.

Scrabbler
10-10-2014, 10:49 AM
What level are you so far? The further you are down one path, the harder it would be to change.

For example, if you don't have a lot of THF feats yet, you could take 3-5 Bard levels, or 4 Cleric levels...
If you do have the THFs, then 5 Rogue could make you a Quarterstaff guy, who also does traps (be sure to get a super-crit named staff!)

MasterGladius
10-10-2014, 10:54 AM
I am level 6 so far, all in fighter. I have put my enhancements in Kensei with an emphasis on "Heavy Blades." CHA was a dump stat, so Bard probably isn't going to be a good option for me. I have Improved THF. I think I have a couple of Lesser Reincarnations, though.

Grailhawk
10-10-2014, 11:12 AM
I am level 6 so far, all in fighter. I have put my enhancements in Kensei with an emphasis on "Heavy Blades." CHA was a dump stat, so Bard probably isn't going to be a good option for me. I have Improved THF. I think I have a couple of Lesser Reincarnations, though.

Whats your STR and what other feat do you have.

I would expect a 6 Fighter to actually be at the peek of performance at level 6, 1-6 is when a pure fighter shines the most.

L01: Power Attack, Cleave,
L02: Two Handed Fighter
L03: Weapon Focus
L04: Greater Cleave
L05:
L06: Improved Two Handed Fighting, Weapon Specialization

Loromir
10-10-2014, 11:15 AM

Don't waste your lesser reincarnations on a lvl 6 fighter. You can reroll and get back to 6 in pretty short order.

MasterGladius
10-10-2014, 11:25 AM
Oh, I'm looking for long term advice. I'm not having any trouble right now. I keep a cleric hireling and so far everything has been pretty smooth. I just want to know that I have a plan that will carry me all the way to level 20.

My stats are (if I remember correctly):
Str 17
Dex 14
Con 14
Int 14
Wis 8
Cha 8

Feats selected so far:
Lesser Dragonmark: Sentinel
Power Attack
Cleave
Weapon Focus: Slashing
Two Handed Fighting
Imp THF
(If there is one missing, it is probably Power Crit)

The only thing I've really struggled with so far is status effect spell casters due to a very low Will Save. I am presently using a Greatsword +1 with 1-6 lighting damage on hit.

unbongwah
10-10-2014, 11:37 AM
Kensei Warpriest (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/426765-Kensei-Warpriest-for-new-players-(Human-12-8-Fighter-Cleric)) is probably your best bet for a first-life F2P fighter who has some self-healing while still getting a ftr PL when you TR.

MasterGladius
10-10-2014, 12:10 PM
Kensei Warpriest (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/426765-Kensei-Warpriest-for-new-players-(Human-12-8-Fighter-Cleric)) is probably your best bet for a first-life F2P fighter who has some self-healing while still getting a ftr PL when you TR.

Huh. Since Wisdom was a dump stat, I hadn't considered cleric as a multiclass.

MasterGladius
10-10-2014, 02:25 PM
What level are you so far? The further you are down one path, the harder it would be to change.

For example, if you don't have a lot of THF feats yet, you could take 3-5 Bard levels, or 4 Cleric levels...
If you do have the THFs, then 5 Rogue could make you a Quarterstaff guy, who also does traps (be sure to get a super-crit named staff!)

Why Quarterstaff?

unbongwah
10-10-2014, 03:00 PM
Why Quarterstaff?
The Acrobat PrE (http://ddowiki.com/page/Thief-Acrobat_enhancements) has three big DPS bonuses for staves:

+15% attack speed (Acrobatics) which will stack with Haste Boost and Haste spell
Quick Strike: provides +25% bonus to doublestrike (http://ddowiki.com/page/Doublestrike) which lasts 10 secs with a 12-sec. cooldown. [The monk Henshin PrE also has Quick Strike, but it has a 20-sec. cooldown, so you can only keep the bonus going half the time.]
Staff Specialization: +1 bonus to crit range & multiplier. This changes a regular staff (20 x2) to 19-20 x3. For a staff like Sireth (http://ddowiki.com/page/Sireth), it becomes 17-20 x3 before Improved Crit:Blunt is applied (making it 13-20 x3).

Staff Specialization has lost some of its luster in the latest update, as the paladin spell Holy Sword will apply the same +1 crit range & multiplier bonus to any weapon. But the atk speed & doublestrike bonuses from Acro are still solid. And an Acro build really only needs 5 rog lvls to get Staff Spec, which opens up a lot of multiclassing possibilities; whereas you need at least 14 lvls of paladin to get Holy Sword and must be Lawful Good, so you can't MC with alignment-restricted classes like bards or druids.

EDIT: that said, heavily-MCed builds really ought to be planned in advance; I wouldn't recommend switching to a ftr/rog at this point.

MasterGladius
10-10-2014, 03:47 PM
That is cool, but I won't get to level 23 this time around. When I hit 20, I'm going to TR. I just want to be sure that the spec I play will get me there. The play through, I will pick up past life Fighter. Next will be Monk, I think. After that, Barbarian. At least that is the plan.

That quarterstaff thing does sound cool, though. Kensei Acrobat sounds amazing.

bigdmag
10-10-2014, 09:30 PM
If you would consider a Bard life look at the Count of Monte Cristo. I rolled one up and love it way more than my fighter life :) He deals a ton of damage and as a soloer he can shut down the mobs with fascinate, almost nothing saves against it. Then you can just leave them or pick them of one a a time. However I rarely have to fascinate because he rips through stuff in seconds. As a new player dont get frustrated ( a lot of new players do), it takes time to build up gear and once you start racking up past lives an gear it gets better. Stay strong adventurer!!!

the_one_dwarfforged
10-12-2014, 01:18 AM
pure fighter is actually one of the less cr*ppy pure classes right now, though not the best either. and probably difficult to use for a casual first lifer.

but, as far as making a class appealing past 12 levels, the kensei capstone is very appealing. not a class you take 13-19 levels of.

FranOhmsford
10-12-2014, 10:57 AM
Feats selected so far:
Lesser Dragonmark: Sentinel
Power Attack
Cleave
Weapon Focus: Slashing
Two Handed Fighting
Imp THF
(If there is one missing, it is probably Power Crit)

The one you're missing there is Great Cleave!

The Sentinel Dragonmark has always been associated with one weapon - Chipped Bastard Sword / Chimera's Fang / Epic Chimera's Fang {Yes that's one sword with 2 Upgrades.} and Sword+Board Builds.

Power Crit's nice but get Improved Crit Slashing the instant it becomes available!

For THF 5-6 Wizard Levels might be worthwhile as you don't have the alignment for Paladin or the Charisma for Bard/Sorc.
This would give you some buffs like Nightshield {stops Magic Missiles}, Blur, Haste, Rage and Displacement. The Extend Feat AND the Eldritch Knight Tree to play with.

14 Fighter / 6 Wizard.

Don't take Rogue Levels unless you're willing to rebuild the character entirely as Rogue at Lvl 1 is virtually mandatory for the skill points to make those Rogue Levels worthwhile.

Grailhawk
10-13-2014, 08:03 AM
The one you're missing there is Great Cleave!

The Sentinel Dragonmark has always been associated with one weapon - Chipped Bastard Sword / Chimera's Fang / Epic Chimera's Fang {Yes that's one sword with 2 Upgrades.} and Sword+Board Builds.

Power Crit's nice but get Improved Crit Slashing the instant it becomes available!

For THF 5-6 Wizard Levels might be worthwhile as you don't have the alignment for Paladin or the Charisma for Bard/Sorc.
This would give you some buffs like Nightshield {stops Magic Missiles}, Blur, Haste, Rage and Displacement. The Extend Feat AND the Eldritch Knight Tree to play with.

14 Fighter / 6 Wizard.

Don't take Rogue Levels unless you're willing to rebuild the character entirely as Rogue at Lvl 1 is virtually mandatory for the skill points to make those Rogue Levels worthwhile.

I can see the appeal of the spells you list but with out being heavily invested in Eldritch Knight he will have issues casting in heavy armor (Arcane Spell Failure) and I doubt he will have the gear that makes that less of a worry. 12/6/2 Fighter/Wizard/Rogue is going to be a much more forgiving build especially for a new player Rogue for evasion and don't worry about weather you optimize skill point allocation or not.

That said the Kensei Warpriest or even 20 Figther will preform better given his experience in the game I imagine. Eldritch is not a very good tree and not something a newb should be heavenly invested in, not saying no one should just saying lets keep the newbs to the trees that are easier to work with and are more forgiving. Unless of course that's the flavor they are insisting on.

MasterGladius
10-13-2014, 09:05 AM
I'm not really feeling up to dabbling in wizard, but I did end up taking a level of rogue over the weekend for some skill points, so level 7 now. I was thinking maybe Fighter 12 (Kensai)/Rogue 3/Barbarian 5 (Frenzied Berserker). That is conceptually appealing, though maybe the spread of levels isn't optimized.