PDA

View Full Version : Any other sorcs just neg level things?

Tilomere
10-10-2014, 03:39 AM
del

Eth
10-10-2014, 04:04 AM
What do you do against deathwarded mobs, undeads, red-named and purple named?
Neg-levels are a nice utility, but I rarely ever found it useful on other than orange named or to occasionally prep a mob with high saves. But then I play a wizard, not a sorc, which are a bit different.

Lonnbeimnech
10-10-2014, 05:56 AM
Most sorcs I've run with have gone to enchantment focus. Round up the mobs, disco ball + crushing dispair + mass hold monster, then jump in the middle and energy burst.

Singular
10-10-2014, 10:53 AM
Energy burst, occasional firewall (which I'm going to probably stop using), consecrate, other party members. I've been thinking of making a tanky sorc just to spam neg levels, healing, and some AoE for cleanup.

18 Sorc 2 Pali HELF
ED: US

Feats: Maximize swapped to Toughness#1, Empower swapped to Shield Deflection, Quicken, Extend, FoP, MT, IMT,
Epic Feats: Epic Toughness, Epic Mental Toughness, Epic Spell Power Fire, Epic DR,Epic Spell Power Positive

Enhancements
21 HELF 20% HAMP Human, 20% HAMP Monk, Arcane Fluidity -15% ASF Armor
4 SaD Extra Lay on Hands
25 Fire Savant
23 EK -15 ASF Armor and shields
7 Harper?

ED: US with Consecrate, Energy Burst, and Sound Burst SLA twisted. Self and group healing with renewal.

Wall of Wood + PDK Gloves for 20%/30% HAMP plus devotion

-5 ASF Augment covers remaining ASF of 35% ASF (plate) + 15 ASF (Wall of Wood) after enhancements

US will give 10% HAmp, which will combine with 20%, 20%, 20%, and 30% above (plus I have pali past life) for 2.6x heals.

I'm gona use all the mana to spam neg level spells and for Consecrate instead of using melee. For party play (I rarely solo).

Level with maximize/empowered SLAs, and feat swap them out at level 18 before I take 20 for epic play.

Wow, sounds like a really interesting build. Parties will love you!!! And you'll be relatively immune to damage - very strong defenses. I am wondering if you can combine your ideas with a Thunderforged mortal fear weapon?

To answer your original question: I posted my build here - it's an air savant. I often run into a group, wail, energy burst and follow up with aoe spells. It's very effective and I use no enchantments normally. The occasional time I'll Otto's some baddie, but usually only if there's melee in the party and I'm feeling a little guilty.

Last, my only concern about your build is how well it will perform in raids. If you don't do raids, it's a non-issue, but if you do, I'm wondering how you imagine yourself contributing there? It might be worth having something that can produce constant damage - even if low - just for those times when you're beating on a boss with a billion hit points.

Oh, also, if you're neg leveling everything, it's worth remembering that your insta-kills (and enchants) will work nicely.

moo_cow
10-10-2014, 01:30 PM
So I pretty much stopped casting damaging spells, even the savant SLAs. All I'm doing now in EEs is using energy burst, sound burst SLA, and spamming negative level spells. Been thinking about cashing in most of my metamagic feats for mental toughness feats for more neg-level juice, and a few more toughness feats.

Anyone else stop casting damaging spells on their sorc? A fireball to break things. A firewall for bosses? I'm thinking of going all the way with a plate/tower shield Unyielding Sentinel neg leveling and self-healing tank.

Why would you stop casting damage spells? Seriously? You must be doing it wrong

FestusHood
10-10-2014, 04:25 PM
I tried out the Nightmare bastard sword against mobs where i could see the hit points. The problem is that in epic hard or elite, the negative level regenerates in about one second.

I understand that for a caster, the very first negative level spell will permanently remove the hit points lost. After that, however, how do you exceed the regeneration rate? The sword certainly can't, and it's pretty unlikely it will proc the negative levels before it has dps'd the mobs hit points down to the point where it has no effect.

Saekee
10-10-2014, 04:30 PM
I was thinking some sort of level drain/mana proc weapon. Draining weapon. I haven't figured out that far yet. Sages spectacles will give me fire lore/spell power, and wall of wood gives implement spell power and devotion, so I have a completely free weapon slot for anything. I'm assuming TF mortal fear weapon goes with everything! Heh!

I'm guessing the AoE will do decent trash cleanup, and with a draining weapon I could cast incendiary cloud and firewall in raids with the mana procs. And toss some healing in between.

I'm thinking if I limit fire savant to 21 points, I can take those 4 points and the extra 7 leftover enhancements I had and take maximum divine might, and get turns from US. Heh. It is a knight after all, needs to be able to hit stuffs.

Grave wrappings' soul eater survived the neg level nerf that hit life stealing weapons. Won't fit your model but could be interesting if you mix monk in.

JOTMON
10-10-2014, 04:53 PM
Grave wrappings' soul eater survived the neg level nerf that hit life stealing weapons. Won't fit your model but could be interesting if you mix monk in.

Not now that you have revealed this item was missed on the level drain nerf.

unbongwah
10-10-2014, 09:23 PM
18 Sorc 2 Pali HELF
ED: US

Feats: Maximize swapped to Toughness#1, Empower swapped to Extend, Quicken, Extend, FoP, MT, IMT, Shield Deflection, Monk Dilettante
Epic Feats: Epic Toughness, Epic Mental Toughness, Epic Spell Power Fire, Epic DR,Epic Spell Power Positive
Interesting idea, just one question: why HE instead of BF? Swap one of your feats for Addy Body.

Alternative
10-11-2014, 01:26 AM
if your caster underperforms there's shiradi destiny for you

Singular
10-11-2014, 03:56 AM
I tried out the Nightmare bastard sword against mobs where i could see the hit points. The problem is that in epic hard or elite, the negative level regenerates in about one second.

I understand that for a caster, the very first negative level spell will permanently remove the hit points lost. After that, however, how do you exceed the regeneration rate? The sword certainly can't, and it's pretty unlikely it will proc the negative levels before it has dps'd the mobs hit points down to the point where it has no effect.

Caster drains continue to function. You can just keep draining and draining their hp and saves away, if you want to. With massive hp orange names, I drain them to something reasonable and then one-three shot them.

I was thinking some sort of level drain/mana proc weapon. Draining weapon. I haven't figured out that far yet. Sages spectacles will give me fire lore/spell power, and wall of wood gives implement spell power and devotion, so I have a completely free weapon slot for anything. I'm assuming TF mortal fear weapon goes with everything! Heh!

I'm guessing the AoE will do decent trash cleanup, and with a draining weapon I could cast incendiary cloud and firewall in raids with the mana procs. And toss some healing in between.

I'm thinking if I limit fire savant to 21 points, I can take those 4 points and the extra 7 leftover enhancements I had and take maximum divine might, and get turns from US. Heh. It is a knight after all, needs to be able to hit stuffs.

Don't bother with a level draining weapon. As mentioned in this thread, mobs get their levels back too fast - the only way I can see that being made useful is on a twf with 2 TH weapons of draining, each with Mabar augs slotted. That would give you up to 3 lvl drains per hit (unless you can slot 2 Mabar augs in one weapon and have them work, then 4/hit), plus the offhand - that might just keep ahead of the mob gaining one level back every 3 seconds. Despite that, mortal fear would be better :)

You could really get any decent CC weapon, from the House C frost weapons to TH paralyze/hold, whatever weapons. You're going to be draining the mobs anyways, so they'll fail their saves against whatever it is you plan on doing to them.

Singular
10-11-2014, 03:58 AM
EK. EK fleshy arcane. EK fleshy arcane in US. EK fleshy arcane sorc in US not using damage spells. Something about combining the worst enhancement tree, with the worst racial choice, with the worst dps ED, and the worst play style calls to me. I think I'll have gone beyond the bad and through to the other side where it starts being good again. Or, option 2, is that I'll have one of the worst arcanes ever.

Your logic here makes me unreservedly happy. I can't wait to hear how it turns out for you!

Saekee
10-11-2014, 08:19 AM
Not now that you have revealed this item was missed on the level drain nerf.
The nerf was specifically on items tht state 'life stealing.' Hence not the wraps and there is no reason to nerf them given their limited use. Draining and feeding weapons only remove 1 level vs 1-3 from life stealing ones (AFAIK).

Don't bother with a level draining weapon. As mentioned in this thread, mobs get their levels back too fast - the only way I can see that being made useful is on a twf with 2 TH weapons of draining, each with Mabar augs slotted. That would give you up to 3 lvl drains per hit (unless you can slot 2 Mabar augs in one weapon and have them work, then 4/hit), plus the offhand - that might just keep ahead of the mob gaining one level back every 3 seconds. Despite that, mortal fear would be better :).

Another life stealing weapon that is not listed with them are Epic envenomed blades. One could slot the ruby of life stealing in them for double procs.

I suppose one could melee as a vampire as well for further neg level procs. Probably the best neg leveling melee would be a vampire-shroud monk in wind stance with grave wrappings. A bit far from the OP's plans.

General_Gronker
10-11-2014, 10:21 AM
Anyone else stop casting damaging spells on their sorc? Nope. But that may simply be because I really like blasting things with cheap lightning bolts. Maybe not as efficient, but fun.