PDA

View Full Version : Build advice wanted

Kamode_Corebasher
10-08-2014, 08:08 PM
Please poke holes or give advice...this is my first artificer build attempt and I haven't looked for a similar build.
An Inteligence based hand-to-hand fighter
u23 1st life Iconic Morninglord build
Heavy Armor, Tower Shield, Dwarven Axe (sword&board)
18/1/1 Arti/Cleric/Ftr

lvl 1 Cleric
lvl 2 Fighter
lvl 3-20 Artificer

Main Stat (including all lvlups)= Int
Secondary Stats = Con, Dex (for trapping skills), maybe Str?

Harper Enhancements
Core = Agent of Good I & II (2), Harper Training I & II (both Int.) (2) = 4
Tier1 = Harper Enchantment (2), Traveler's Toughness (3), Strategic Combat I (2) = 7
Tier2 = Versatile Adept I (3), Know the Angles (3) = 6
Tier3 = Highly Skilled (3), Versatile Adept II (3), Strategic Combat II (2), Ability Score +1 Int (2) = 10
Tier4 = Versatile Adept III (3), Ability Score +1 Int (2) = 5
Tier5 = Harper Enchantment of Righteousness (2), Versatile Adept IV (3) = 5
Total = 37

Battle Engineer Enhancements
Core = Battle Engineer (1), Infused Weaponsx2 (2),Infused Armor (1) = 4
Tier1 = Hand and a Half Training (2), Item Defense (3) = 5
Tier2 = Hand and a Half Training (2), Damage Boost (6) = 8
Tier3 = Hand and a Half Training (2), Intelligence +1 (2) = 4
Tier4 = Hand and a Half Training (2), Haste Boost (6), Intelligence +1 (2) = 10
Total = 31

Morninglord Enhancements
Core = Elven Accuracy I & II (2), Sun Elf Intelligence I & II (2) = 4
Total = 4

Kensei Enhancements
Core = Kensei Focus: Axes (1)
Tier1 = Weapon Group Specialization (2), Exotic Weapon Mastery (2)
Total = 5

Vanguard Enhancements
Core = To the Fore! (1)
Tier1 = Shield Specialization I (2)
Total = 3

I'm thinking this will be a good CC, DPS self-healing (from Rej Cocoon) build.
---CC coming from Tactical Detonation and Prismatic Strike....also if willing to twist, Daunting Roar from Draconic.

Feats:
lvl 1 = two handed fighting
f-lvl 2 = Precision
lvl 3 = power attack
a-lvl 6 = maximize
lvl 6 = cleave
lvl 9 = improved two handed fighting
a-lvl 10 = insightful reflexes
lvl 12 = improved critical: slashing
a-lvl 14 = quicken
lvl 15 = shield mastery
lvl 18 = improved shield mastery
a-lvl 18 = empower healing
lvl 21 = overwhelming critical
lvl 24 = greater two handed fighting
lvl 26 = perfect two handed fighting
lvl 27 = ruin
lvl 28 = ?

Main Destiny = Legendary Dreadnought (Master's Blitz, Devastating Critical, and Headmans Chop)

twists
tier1 = Rejuvenation Cocoon (should hit hard with emp healing feat, item w/ devotion spellpower, item w/ healing lore, item w/ healing amp)
tier1 = Brace for Impact
tier1 = Shield Prowess

cru121
10-09-2014, 02:29 AM
1) Why not heavy armor?
2) you mention SLAs, but you didn't invest in arcanotechnician. did you mean harper dagger or the morninglord sla?
3) perhaps stop at arti 16 and pick up defensive stance from fighter/paladin 3? or bard 3, light armor, different weapon, swashbuckling with skullsmasher (racial weapon)
4) consider also feats Insightful Reflexes (even without evasion) and SF:Evocation (to allow twists)

Kamode_Corebasher
10-09-2014, 08:19 AM
1) Why not heavy armor?
2) you mention SLAs, but you didn't invest in arcanotechnician. did you mean harper dagger or the morninglord sla?
3) perhaps stop at arti 16 and pick up defensive stance from fighter/paladin 3? or bard 3, light armor, different weapon, swashbuckling with skullsmasher (racial weapon)
4) consider also feats Insightful Reflexes (even without evasion) and SF:Evocation (to allow twists)

Thanks cru121....to answer:
1) I'm thinking of a lesser +1 to remove the cleric level...which means medium armor as the max for arti
2) you're right...besides the sunburst, I was mixing thoughts on maybe an epic destiny (definitely not arcanotechnician). Will look into this more when I have time later today.
3) I'd want a lvl6 split for fighter/pali ...done&done with other builds...for this one, I'm trying to focus on making this a pure arti hand-to-hand with int.
4) initially had insightful...swapped it due to the new MRR and the fact I wanted more spell power type feats to enhance my cocoon.

unbongwah
10-09-2014, 09:35 AM
The main drawback to pure melee arties, IMHO, is that BE is a meh tree for it; in particular the T5s aren't that impressive and many of the enhs are geared towards boosting Runearms which you aren't planning on using. And Harper isn't much better, though Know the Angles & Versatile Adept are obviously useful. Plus any S&B build which isn't exploiting Swashbuckler and/or Vanguard is at a serious disadvantage.

Would you consider something like, say, bard 5 / arty 15? SWF Swashbuckler, S&B w/ Skirmisher, INT-based for dmg & arty DCs, Insightful Reflexes. Bard 4 / arty 16 would also work if you'd rather have an extra feat & lvl 6 spell slot than T5 SB; losing CdG would suck, tho.

I've been leveling a pure dwarven arty: SWF w/d.axes+RA, full ranged DPS, bit of caster DPS too. Harper will make it even stronger. Warforged would've been the sensible racial choice, but I wanted dwarf for racial weapon bonuses and flavor. Frankly, I expect her to be at a disadvantage in epics, but this is one of my just-for-fun builds, not must-crush-EEs! builds. :)

FuzzyDuck81
10-09-2014, 09:48 AM
Cocoon is only effected by empower healing, quicken & enlarge.. regular empower spell & maximise won't work on it. So, that could be a good reason to keep the initial cleric level since that'll let you qualify, and then it can be selected as an artificer bonus feat (maybe ditch regular empower in favour of it?). Personally, i'd not bother with going pure if you're not going for the top couple of cores in battle engineer, IMO with the armour changes it just isn't as good as having some nice solid plate - if anything, you could splash a couple more levels of something else too like fighter for the bonus feats.

Definitely agree that BE is underwhelming - i've pretty much ditched it on my own WF artificer in favour of the harper tree, despite being roughly even parts repeater & magic based.. but then i like that CCW admixture SLA too to help with party support.

Kamode_Corebasher
10-09-2014, 11:07 AM
@unbongwah
Thanks...I agree with the BE being meh. I'm actually looking forward to the tier5 of Harper and the Harper Enchantment of Righteousness and the stacking Versatile Adepts. You mention CdG...and I'm not placing the acronym. You also mention 'flavor' build...that's what this is but I'm wanting it to be as powerful as possible.

@FuzzyDuck81
Thanks for the info on Cocoon. I'll swap out empower for empower healing. And not spending points in the BE tree means the cores at 18 and 20 are not available. That being said, maybe I should drop another level of arti for something like fighter or another cleric level.

unbongwah
10-09-2014, 12:58 PM
You mention CdG...and I'm not placing the acronym.
CdG = Coup de Grace.

You also mention 'flavor' build...that's what this is but I'm wanting it to be as powerful as possible.
The bottom line is there aren't really any synergies between pure artificer and S&B. Like I said, I went SWF+RA on my build to take advantage of higher atk speed + RA imbues / atks. It's not optimal, but at least it builds on what's in the BE tree already.

Kamode_Corebasher
10-09-2014, 02:38 PM
CdG = Coup de Grace.

The bottom line is there aren't really any synergies between pure artificer and S&B. Like I said, I went SWF+RA on my build to take advantage of higher atk speed + RA imbues / atks. It's not optimal, but at least it builds on what's in the BE tree already.

gotta disagree with the 'no synergies' comment...BE hand-and-a-half weapons and the cores are great...++. What I don't like about BE is the Tier5's....hence the Harper Tier 5.

I do think I'll add a level of Fighter into this build...for the towershield and freeing up the Dwarven Axe feat (will then add back Insightful Reflexes). In a few hours I'll post the changes and also my enhancements layout I'm thinking about.

unbongwah
10-09-2014, 03:17 PM
Master's Touch also grants tower shield prof, so no need to take the feat on an arty.

By "no synergies" I mean there's nothing specifically geared towards S&B in BE beyond the Hand & a Half Training enhs; everything else is either generic bonuses to all weapons or meant for Runearms. Oh, and Endless Fusilade, ofc. You're going S&B melee on a build which has no access to the "good" S&B melee PrEs: i.e., Vanguard & Swashbuckler. That's a suboptimal choice.

Kamode_Corebasher
10-10-2014, 12:51 AM
I finally figured out where I had seen the crowd control I was so hyped about but then couldn't reproduce. Me not having ever played an Arti, I just re-read the Artificer spells and it was the spells Tactical Detonation and Prismatic Strike. Not SLA's, but they look wonderful to me. Again, since this is my first time playing an Arti, am I not seeing those two spells in the correct light...are they actually duds?

Wh070aa
10-10-2014, 04:20 AM
If you are not going pure arti, I recommend going for 16 levels of artificer (unless you really want the level 18 heal or -10% spell fail armor, for arcane scrolls (why would you?). All you really gain is couple of caster levels, but since there are like 5 spells that don't cap at 10, its kinda pointless. Maybe rune arm damage?( meh)
You probably are not gonna get meaningful spell DC's, unless you debuff the hell out of everything with magister and draconic.
Only arti spells worth casting are
1)SLA's (because CC,and damage), but they are investment heavy.
2)Weapon buffs, because why not? More damage for all.
3)Blade barrier.

That's about it. I have 3 wizard and 2 sorcerer past lifes, and I can't Spell CC on Epic normal (exempt the SLA's stun). Only reason for tactical detonation, is to get my crits up , with Empyrean Magic.

I personally use the nightshade venom(level 16, Doublecross) + constitution damage(level 21, Slaver's Hand) repeaters for CC. You might need to get the stunning axes, there are some with 5% stun chance or something.

If you are willing to sacrifice Blade barrier, or deadly weapons, you can get 4 levels in some other class for more enchantments. If you plan to use shield, maybe Vanguard or something. Points will be tight as hell tho.

Idk why you would make artificer, if you don't use Repeater and rune arms. Especially on elf, which gets con penalty, and ranged attack bonuses.

Are you planning to use blurr,displacement, G heroism scrolls or clickies? Because you gonna switch out a lot of gear.I found myself using a lot of those, and stone skin, and ice storm wands(that slow effect).

What I see from a build, is batlecleric, with extremely bad HP, and not as good survivability (spell wise).

Singular
10-10-2014, 07:24 AM
I finally figured out where I had seen the crowd control I was so hyped about but then couldn't reproduce. Me not having ever played an Arti, I just re-read the Artificer spells and it was the spells Tactical Detonation and Prismatic Strike. Not SLA's, but they look wonderful to me. Again, since this is my first time playing an Arti, am I not seeing those two spells in the correct light...are they actually duds?

I use tac/det and prismatic strike a lot in EE content. If you can get your dc high enough, tac/det gets about 1/2 the mobs in EE, all the mobs in EH. I don't run EN, but I'd assume it would work there. Prismatic strike is great for stopping casters - not so good on ranged, despite the spell description.

If you are not going pure arti, I recommend going for 16 levels of artificer (unless you really want the level 18 heal or -10% spell fail armor, for arcane scrolls (why would you?). All you really gain is couple of caster levels, but since there are like 5 spells that don't cap at 10, its kinda pointless. Maybe rune arm damage?( meh)
You probably are not gonna get meaningful spell DC's, unless you debuff the hell out of everything with magister and draconic.
Only arti spells worth casting are
1)SLA's (because CC,and damage), but they are investment heavy.
2)Weapon buffs, because why not? More damage for all.
3)Blade barrier.

That's about it. I have 3 wizard and 2 sorcerer past lifes, and I can't Spell CC on Epic normal (exempt the SLA's stun). Only reason for tactical detonation, is to get my crits up , with Empyrean Magic.

I personally use the nightshade venom(level 16, Doublecross) + constitution damage(level 21, Slaver's Hand) repeaters for CC. You might need to get the stunning axes, there are some with 5% stun chance or something.

If you are willing to sacrifice Blade barrier, or deadly weapons, you can get 4 levels in some other class for more enchantments. If you plan to use shield, maybe Vanguard or something. Points will be tight as hell tho.

Idk why you would make artificer, if you don't use Repeater and rune arms. Especially on elf, which gets con penalty, and ranged attack bonuses.

Are you planning to use blurr,displacement, G heroism scrolls or clickies? Because you gonna switch out a lot of gear.I found myself using a lot of those, and stone skin, and ice storm wands(that slow effect).

What I see from a build, is batlecleric, with extremely bad HP, and not as good survivability (spell wise).

I think your advice is great, but my experience with tac/det and prismatic strike differ greatly from yours. I was able to solo TOR EE (without dragons!) only b/c of the CC capabilities. And was just using them both in EE Wheeloon tonight - no problems, got about half the mobs, slightly less of the shader kai.

Shrimpboy
10-10-2014, 09:49 AM
I use tac/det and prismatic strike a lot in EE content. If you can get your dc high enough, tac/det gets about 1/2 the mobs in EE, all the mobs in EH. I don't run EN, but I'd assume it would work there. Prismatic strike is great for stopping casters - not so good on ranged, despite the spell description.

I think your advice is great, but my experience with tac/det and prismatic strike differ greatly from yours. I was able to solo TOR EE (without dragons!) only b/c of the CC capabilities. And was just using them both in EE Wheeloon tonight - no problems, got about half the mobs, slightly less of the shader kai.

Do you mind sharing your spell DC and breakdown for us, Singular? :)

Kamode_Corebasher
10-10-2014, 10:59 AM

Woot...thanks for the info Singular...that's what I was hoping for. If after gearing for DC casting and I find I struggle landing the CC, I'll lesser+3 and go straight Artificer for the extra +3 to DCs...then use what unbongwah suggested for using my Shield and Dwarven Axe (Masters Touch), then reduce my armor to Medium instead of heavy. And really, besides these 2 spells, the only other crowd control for this build will be Daunting Roar from Draconic destiny...I just hate the 2 minute cooldown...90 seconds would make it not too powerful but way more useful.

Wh070aa
10-10-2014, 03:50 PM

In my opinion, prepping the mobs for CC is too much work, and non persistent AOE stuns are too spell point extensive. Also if you probably gimp yourself trying to get the DC's up, if he is planing on melee. If you invest in it so much, might as well just go full draconic, and do the flyby/energy burst/breath attack thing. This reduces the melee damage drastically, and since he splashes fighter and stuff, I assume he wants to be primary melee.

Also thing that is not mentioned anywhere here. Mobility. You are gonna need a lot of speed boosts/escape options, if you do this. Shadow walk scrolls(or clickie), and jump pots (you get +30 jump from them) is a must. (+ haste pots, and striding item/expeditious retreat spell). I recommend getting some haste/flight clickie too.Shadow walk does not give you invisibility perks tho, you must use both, for full effect.

Also you need the freedom of movement(potion from anniversary bags is the best option, or kundarak boots), protection from evil (wand/scroll), and something to not get tripped (seriously all my deaths are from being tripped midair, I am still working on how to get around that). Also some AOE remover (gust of wind/whatever clickie, I recommend Wind Howler Bracers, but you might want something else on melee.) Helps with ice storms, dancing tings and firewalls.

Low hp= don't get stunned. Rune arm is not your friend on this one. It's like being constantly slowed.

Kamode_Corebasher
10-10-2014, 07:51 PM
In my opinion, prepping the mobs for CC is too much work, and non persistent AOE stuns are too spell point extensive. Also if you probably gimp yourself trying to get the DC's up, if he is planing on melee. If you invest in it so much, might as well just go full draconic, and do the flyby/energy burst/breath attack thing. This reduces the melee damage drastically, and since he splashes fighter and stuff, I assume he wants to be primary melee..

no prep should be needed...just throw it and charge, then escape if needed and throw another--charge in again. Not seeing the gimping you talk about--slotting augments on the right gear for DC's and having the right stat maxed...looks like I'll be able to do both and still be good at dps (at least, that's the plan!!). Also, my experience with flyby and breath is not so good--would never choose either.

Also thing that is not mentioned anywhere here. Mobility. You are gonna need a lot of speed boosts/escape options, if you do this. Shadow walk scrolls(or clickie), and jump pots (you get +30 jump from them) is a must. (+ haste pots, and striding item/expeditious retreat spell). I recommend getting some haste/flight clickie too.Shadow walk does not give you invisibility perks tho, you must use both, for full effect..

Not too sure where you're going with this...I agree that escaping a bad situation is going to be needed often, and smart play should help there (like using terrain or bottlenecks or ...)

Also you need the freedom of movement(potion from anniversary bags is the best option, or kundarak boots), protection from evil (wand/scroll), and something to not get tripped (seriously all my deaths are from being tripped midair, I am still working on how to get around that). Also some AOE remover (gust of wind/whatever clickie, I recommend Wind Howler Bracers, but you might want something else on melee.) Helps with ice storms, dancing tings and firewalls. .

agreed.

Low hp= don't get stunned. Rune arm is not your friend on this one. It's like being constantly slowed.

No plans for rune arms on this build :-)

Singular
10-10-2014, 10:51 PM
In my opinion, prepping the mobs for CC is too much work, and non persistent AOE stuns are too spell point extensive. Also if you probably gimp yourself trying to get the DC's up, if he is planing on melee. If you invest in it so much, might as well just go full draconic, and do the flyby/energy burst/breath attack thing. This reduces the melee damage drastically, and since he splashes fighter and stuff, I assume he wants to be primary melee.

Good advice. So you think investing in spell dc would take too much away from other stuff melees have to spend? I guess it would take away your necklace slot and an augment slot - and, since he's not going to the 5th tier in either artie enhancement, he's going to lose 1 DC there.

In terms of spell point cost, if the goal is for CC and not damage, just turn off max+emp - or don't use take them as metas. What else is the mana going to be used for?

Also, my experience with flyby and breath is not so good--would never choose either.

Not too sure where you're going with this...I agree that escaping a bad situation is going to be needed often, and smart play should help there (like using terrain or bottlenecks or ...)

No plans for rune arms on this build :-)

On my sorc, I never got flyby to work either. But dragon breath is awesome! It can clear groups of EE mobs in one go - don't know on an artie though - but that would be a very different build than you have in mind.

Ok, I see, you're going thf. I'm just curious, this is not a critique, how did you rule out swf + rune arm? I take it the imbues aren't as useful as the shield blocking?

When you start running it, let us know your impressions and what works and what doesn't!

Wh070aa
10-11-2014, 01:45 AM
How you not get flyby to work?
Its wings ability, that goes taught enemies, sometimes knocking them down. It's a good gap closer, or escape. Damige is not great, but its mobility, and knockdown, and its still some damage. Great for when getting surrounded, stuck in corner (fighting with back against wall, as melee), slowed, or hit while red alert. Also helps getting taught traps without evasion. Also great positioning tool, that allows you to get in middle for spell/cleave, OR get out of middle, to take less damage. Its also a speed boost when zerging, and helps with jumping puzzles (if you shield +armor your jump will suffer some).
Also its free. No SP required. Sadly cooldown is quite long. What exactly you could not get to work?

Kamode_Corebasher
10-11-2014, 02:47 AM
On my sorc, I never got flyby to work either. But dragon breath is awesome! It can clear groups of EE mobs in one go - don't know on an artie though - but that would be a very different build than you have in mind.

and @Wh070aa
I mainly used this destiny on a CC wizard, and the destiny points were tight. Mass hold and burst is great, and so was daunting roar and burst, but lining mobs up to flyby was a chore and then the long cooldown...points were needed elsewhere. I could see it working like you describe Wh070aa....maybe I'll give it a shot when I'm leveling that destiny.

Ok, I see, you're going thf. I'm just curious, this is not a critique, how did you rule out swf + rune arm? I take it the imbues aren't as useful as the shield blocking?

I really know very little about the runearm...my impression is that it takes a lot of enhancement points, and then once equipped I heard it takes a long time to charge and is somewhat hard to utilize effectively..
My thinking with the hand & a half weapons was to add the shield so I'd get more AC, PRR, and MRR

When you start running it, let us know your impressions and what works and what doesn't!

Will do :-)

Singular
10-11-2014, 03:35 AM
How you not get flyby to work?
Its wings ability, that goes taught enemies, sometimes knocking them down. It's a good gap closer, or escape. Damige is not great, but its mobility, and knockdown, and its still some damage. Great for when getting surrounded, stuck in corner (fighting with back against wall, as melee), slowed, or hit while red alert. Also helps getting taught traps without evasion. Also great positioning tool, that allows you to get in middle for spell/cleave, OR get out of middle, to take less damage. Its also a speed boost when zerging, and helps with jumping puzzles (if you shield +armor your jump will suffer some).
Also its free. No SP required. Sadly cooldown is quite long. What exactly you could not get to work?

It just never seemed to do enough damage - I thought it would do more. I'd rather just kill the mobs outright than stun a few. As an aside, I thought the graphic looked really silly. It reminded me of the South Park caricature of Al Gore, with his cape, pretending to be superman.

really know very little about the runearm...my impression is that it takes a lot of enhancement points, and then once equipped I heard it takes a long time to charge and is somewhat hard to utilize effectively..
My thinking with the hand & a half weapons was to add the shield so I'd get more AC, PRR, and MRR

Just equiping it doesn't slow you down, and would give you some slight extra damage (usually 2-16 or 2-20, but Glass cannon adds 2 types of damage), plus augment slots. Some of them give bonuses to spell power or crits. Actually, Toven's might be good, since it provides the same Lit II lightning strike plus 2-16 pts per strike.

If you charge it, then your movement slows down unless you have the 5th tier of BE - which you are staying out of. So rune arms would only be good for you if you wanted that extra damage. With Toven's, it would be roughly 18.5/attack. Glass cannon is about 19/attack. Some rune arms provide extras - like Hand of the Tombs, which adds Disruption to all of your attacks (but only 2-8 damage). That might be good in the new Necro stuff.

Last, if you try rune arms, grab an expeditious retreat clickie. That used to speed up running with them to 25% (pretty sure it was a bug, but it worked the entire time I did heroics) when they were charged.

Will do :-)

woohooo!

Wh070aa
10-11-2014, 05:42 AM
and @Wh070aa
Lining mobs up to flyby was a chore and then the long cooldown...points were needed elsewhere. I could see it working like you describe Wh070aa....maybe I'll give it a shot when I'm leveling that destiny.

Flyby is really not a "line up and kill/damage" kind of thing. Its more of an "Caster mob is casting something, gotta get to him fast", or "O **** it's red alert, and there are 8 mobs on me" thing. Kinda like archmage tumble, only with build in wings, damage and stun, and doable midair. The mid air mobility, especially when combined with blade barrier (AOE stuff too), and rays/repeater, is really great kiting tool, allowing you to kite much better, than just plain jump. Being melee, looses about 2/3 of its effectivity (kiting, and getting to places where mobs cant hit you, and shooting at tings), but its still pretty good. In my opinion something like this replaces heal or reconstruct, as you can manually avoid incoming spell damage (if you have twitch skills).
Sadly cool down is way too long, and you end up using it like 2 or 3 times per shrine. Not a must have, but it can prevent you from being bursted down, or overwhelmed (unless you are tripped/stunned up). Also it cuts down running time by some, and allows you to correct missed jumps, or avoid the stair problems (jump right up, then boost into stair. Really good for staircases, where there is a enemy blocking the part you must climb onto(and you cant just jump over, because stair bugs). Or tunnels (Snitch quest, you can go right taught the oozes.) Same for some traps, and falling floors. Also when combined with barbarian,ranger or purple dragon(past life, or enchantment) sprint boost and shadow walk, you got some serious zerging speed going on (allowing you not to slow down, when not touching the ground). For the stealth quests, and damage avoidance by manually avoiding stuff.
You might find it less useful, if your play style differs, or you could go for Exalted Leap of Faith (for smaller cool down and more uses), but the destiny is otherwise not that good ( you do get +3 to all dc,and +10% spell points, and echoes up to 30 sp, I guess).
I personally went with Divine Crusader destiny on my arti, for ranged power, but you probably want Legendary Dreadnought for axes and Biltz.
Grinding out the epic destinies will probably suck, because Arti is extremely dependent on them for endgame damage.