PDA

View Full Version : So what is everyone doing with his/her Paladin?

Zer0AcmE
10-07-2014, 03:11 PM
Just curious as to what build versions everyone out there are playing/testing?

After initial launch of U23 I went Bladeforged, 15 Paladin/3 Wizard/2 Fighter for EK armor boosts and + to DCs and Haste boosts from Ken. Started in Unyielding Sentinel, 2000+ HP, 300+ PRR and 300+ Fort were fun to look at but I was not happy with the DPS. I've since TR'd into a Bladeforged, 16 Paladin/ 2 Fighter/2 Monk mainly for the 4 additional Feats (TWF line) with points mainly spent in KOTC and SD. I've also switched to Divine Crusader, much happier with the build now but still interested in learning what others are playing.

elg582
10-07-2014, 09:40 PM
PDK

20 Paladin

STR 14 (for Power Attack to twist in Momentum Swing)
DEX 8
CON 16
INT 8
WIS 8
CHA 18 + levels

CHA to-hit and damage with PDK weapons, tier 5 in KotC but capstone from SD, so immune to negative levels AND auto-healing between 0 and -70 hp as long as the turns hold out, but max CHA build...

This is a first-life, 32-point, no tome character; I just hit level 24, and I have been soloing EH gianthold and necro IV stuff. I have been playing monks, and while this can't match monk DPS, the sheer survivability kind of makes the point moot.

Fully geared, with a bunch of tomes, I might LR into a STR build, but for leveling, it just can't be beat.

santiago66
10-08-2014, 02:46 AM
PDK

20 Paladin

STR 14 (for Power Attack to twist in Momentum Swing)
DEX 8
CON 16
INT 8
WIS 8
CHA 18 + levels

CHA to-hit and damage with PDK weapons, tier 5 in KotC but capstone from SD, so immune to negative levels AND auto-healing between 0 and -70 hp as long as the turns hold out, but max CHA build...

This is a first-life, 32-point, no tome character; I just hit level 24, and I have been soloing EH gianthold and necro IV stuff. I have been playing monks, and while this can't match monk DPS, the sheer survivability kind of makes the point moot.

Fully geared, with a bunch of tomes, I might LR into a STR build, but for leveling, it just can't be beat.

I've been wondering why, with SWF and S&B builds now popular for Pallies, why there have not been more people looking at the PDK build maxing out CHA.
And why do people suggest splashing WIz when you could splash Sorc for the same benefits, make use of the CHA and get more SPs? Sorcs have EK enhancements too.

Smythe-Tech
10-08-2014, 06:59 AM
I'm guessing they splash wizard for the extra feats (quicken?) not for the spells or trees.

Personally I'm making a straight up Human Paladin. Full 20, (bastard) sword 'n' board, probably sitting in Vanguard and Sacred when I don't want to do the Necro chain.. in which case I reset the enhancements and go nuts.

drowrogue
10-08-2014, 07:03 AM
I've been wondering why, with SWF and S&B builds now popular for Pallies, why there have not been more people looking at the PDK build maxing out CHA.

Charisma to damage does not apply to shields/orbs, only shortswords, longswords, bastard swords, and greatswords.
As a PDK, if your Charisma is higher than your Strength and you are wielding one of the above weapons, you receive a bonus to the DCs of your Tactical Feats equal to 1/3 your Charisma modifier. This is worse than if you made a strength build, as you would get 100% of your strength modifier for Stunning Blow and Trip. I suppose if you could work it out where you had like a 60 charisma and 59 strength or something like that it may be beneficial.
Also as a charisma build you effectively give up divine might, since you will be using charisma for damage adding your charisma modifier to your strength would not do you much good unless like above you had just a couple of points less in strength than charisma.
If you just went straight THF without a shield the PDK charisma build may be better, but you would have to use greatswords. Giving up falchions would suck.

goodspeed
10-08-2014, 08:42 PM
well it was an old phyrain build before the update and.. yep still the same burst build after. Jam the feats needed with manyshot in there. Only difference is id probably make it a bladeforged now when I tr it again to fix the feat and stat settup.