PDA

View Full Version : Polymorph spell idea

maaku
10-03-2014, 06:28 PM
I miss the joys the polymorph spells brought in p&p sessions, sure it was sometimes chaotic but over all it allowed players to further define their characters, so here are some ideas on how they could be used in game.

Polymorph self:
Level- sorc/wiz 5
Target- self only
Duration- 20 seconds per level
Component- Soul gem (strength varies) of the creature type you are attempting to turn into. (i.e. aberration= rust monster)
Effect- You transform into a monster of the selected type gaining benefits such as special qualities, spell like abilities, weaknesses and physical characteristics (such as bonuses to ability scores and skills)

Polymorph other:
Level- Sorc/Wiz 7
Target- creature
Duration- 10 seconds per level
Component- A new material component specific for this spell
Save- Will and Fort
Spell resistant- yes
Effect- You transform your target into one of 3 creatures, (i.e. random ooze type, random elemental or random animal type) the creature retains its current HD and gains benefits associated with its new creature type.

Polymorph weapon:
Level- Sorc/Wiz 9
Target- Single (non-named, non-bound) equipable weapon
Duration- permanent
Component- Targeted weapon and blank (no bonuses of any form) weapon. And high enough crafting level to craft the abilities being transferred.
Effect- Transforms a single magical weapon into a different type of weapon with the same bonuses (i.e. flaming long sword into flaming dwarven axe). The new weapon form must meet all requirements for the abilities that will be on it else the spell will fail.

Feel free to comment about it or give suggestions.

Shadow2024
10-03-2014, 07:08 PM
i like those idea :P

but about the polymorph others, i'm not sure with Trolls if the polymorph give draw back (which should)
I just barkskin people and they complain about their look, imagine attacking their stats directly :P

I'd like more spells too for all classes :P

FuzzyDuck81
10-06-2014, 02:04 AM
I like the idea of the polymorph self spell - if they ever implemented it it'd probably end up being more like an "essence of..." shroud-type effect though rather than a full transformation due to the number of extra art assets involved, and they'd have to be just a couple of flavour-type abilities from the creatures to be passed onto you. Still, having it as a multi-selector type would allow it to be limited to a few at first with potential for expansion. A couple of ideas of the sorts of abilities they could have:

Essence of the aberration: Imbued with the essence of a rust monster, all your attacks do +2d8 rust damage, apply 1d8 rust damage per 2 seconds for 6 seconds (stacks up to 5 times) and -2% fortification (up to 5x & stacks with destruction/improved destruction effects).

Essence of vermin: Imbued with the essence of a giant spider, you gain immunity to web effects, knockdown & disease, and every attack gains +1d8 poison damage.

Essence of the giant: Gain +6 size bonus to strength, +10 to trip & sunder DCs & gain on critical: knockdown attack, DC 21+str modifier.

Of course, they'd also need to update the trap the soul spell & effects for it.. just change it to a single spell with the HD caps removed.

General_Gronker
10-06-2014, 07:34 AM
No. I have a better idea. Make the freaking spells work like they are supposed to:

Polymorph
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Willing living creature touched
Duration: 1 min./level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
This spell functions like alter self, except that you change the willing subject into another form of living creature. The new form may be of the same type as the subject or any of the following types: aberration, animal, dragon, fey, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, ooze, plant, or vermin. The assumed form can’t have more Hit Dice than your caster level (or the subject’s HD, whichever is lower), to a maximum of 15 HD at 15th level. You can’t cause a subject to assume a form smaller than Fine, nor can you cause a subject to assume an incorporeal or gaseous form. The subject’s creature type and subtype (if any) change to match the new form.

Upon changing, the subject regains lost hit points as if it had rested for a night (though this healing does not restore temporary ability damage and provide other benefits of resting; and changing back does not heal the subject further). If slain, the subject reverts to its original form, though it remains dead.

The subject gains the Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores of the new form but retains its own Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. It also gains all extraordinary special attacks possessed by the form but does not gain the extraordinary special qualities possessed by the new form or any supernatural or spell-like abilities.

Incorporeal or gaseous creatures are immune to being polymorphed, and a creature with the shapechanger subtype can revert to its natural form as a standard action.

Material Component
An empty cocoon.

Baleful Polymorph
Transmutation
Level: Drd 5, Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One creature
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates, Will partial; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes
You change the subject into a Small or smaller animal of no more than 1 HD (such as a dog, lizard, monkey, or toad). The subject takes on all the statistics and special abilities of an average member of the new form in place of its own except as follows:

The target retains its own alignment (and personality, within the limits of the new form’s ability scores).
The target retains its own hit points.
The target is treated as having its normal Hit Dice for purpose of adjudicating effects based on HD, such as the sleep spell, though it uses the new form’s base attack bonus, base save bonuses, and all other statistics derived from Hit Dice.
The target also retains the ability to understand (but not to speak) the languages it understood in its original form. It can write in the languages it understands, but only the form is capable of writing in some manner (such as drawing in the dirt with a paw).
With those exceptions, the target’s normal game statistics are replaced by those of the new form. The target loses all the special abilities it has in its normal form, including its class features.

All items worn or carried by the subject fall to the ground at its feet, even if they could be worn or carried by the new form.

If the new form would prove fatal to the creature (for example, if you polymorphed a landbound target into a fish, or an airborne target into a toad), the subject gets a +4 bonus on the save.

If the subject remains in the new form for 24 consecutive hours, it must attempt a Will save. If this save fails, it loses its ability to understand language, as well as all other memories of its previous form, and its Hit Dice and hit points change to match an average creature of its new form. These abilities and statistics return to normal if the effect is later ended.

Incorporeal or gaseous creatures are immune to baleful polymorph, and a creature with the shapechanger subtype (such as a lycanthrope or a doppelganger) can revert to its natural form as a standard action (which ends the spell’s effect).

maaku
10-09-2014, 03:30 PM
I love the idea of the spells working as they were designed in pnp but I just felt that turbine wouldn't be willing to do so simply because of how complex the spells were (mainly the normal polymorph and polymorph object). And the idea of it being Essence of... is a good idea because it would be simpler for turbine to do and expand on due to it needing less graphics coding. But in general I feel all the classes needs new spells of all levels to further personalize the characters.