PDA

View Full Version : Question re: Autoattack

Kancamangus
10-01-2014, 07:49 AM
Hello:

I have read a lot and cant seem to figure out auto attack and I am not sure if it is because I am reading old stuff or what. My char is a Ranger. Can someone please explain

Do I have to use the Attack icon (by dragging it to a hot bar for example), or does simply holding down the left mouse button put me in auto attack?

Is there really a benefit to auto attack vs. continuously clicking the left mouse button?

While in autoattack, can I move?

Thank you

Dexraven
10-01-2014, 08:48 AM
Hello:

I have read a lot and cant seem to figure out auto attack and I am not sure if it is because I am reading old stuff or what. My char is a Ranger. Can someone please explain

Do I have to use the Attack icon (by dragging it to a hot bar for example), or does simply holding down the left mouse button put me in auto attack?

Is there really a benefit to auto attack vs. continuously clicking the left mouse button?

While in auto attack, can I move?

Thank you

Auto attack form the icon will cause you to attack anything that you are hard targeting without pressing the button.
Holding the button will cause you to attack anything thats in range, preferentially anything hard targeted, but you keep attacking even if nothings in range.

Theirs no need to keep clicking attack, just hold the button down. In fact if you keep clicking it you may mess up the attack chain and lower our damage output. the only of auto attack benefit is you don't have to hold the button down all the time.

yes you can move with auto attack, you will incur penalties to hit and get the slower moving attack animation. Turning on spot doesn't cause penalties.

Personally i put auto attack on and also hold down the attack button, unless i don't want to hit something specifically in which case i might turn it off, but thats only for a couple of quests.

cdbd3rd
10-01-2014, 09:25 AM
You would serve yourself well to get used to NOT using auto-attack for now. In some quests, there are quest goals that require you to not hit certain creatures or items. Over-reliance on auto-attack could cause you a lot of angst in the near future.

So I say get accustomed to not using it, then using it when you feel the need to do so safely.

Thalone
10-01-2014, 10:32 AM
Last I heard, there at least one case where autoattack can be significantly slower than timing your attack clicks, mainly artificer repeaters (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/403841-Artificer-feats-rapid-shot). I'm unsure if other fighting styles are affected.

Noctus
10-02-2014, 01:21 PM
You would serve yourself well to get used to NOT using auto-attack for now. In some quests, there are quest goals that require you to not hit certain creatures or items. Over-reliance on auto-attack could cause you a lot of angst in the near future.

So I say get accustomed to not using it, then using it when you feel the need to do so safely.

/seconded.

Do NOT get used to using autoattack!

Just keep the mousebutton pushed when you want to attack, and let go when not. This way you can let moving / phasing / burrowing monsters run into your swing. And you will not mess up certrain quest objectives on accident. Saves you and your groupmates great annoyance.

Ithaquah
10-02-2014, 01:52 PM
Last I heard, there at least one case where autoattack can be significantly slower than timing your attack clicks, mainly artificer repeaters (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/403841-Artificer-feats-rapid-shot). I'm unsure if other fighting styles are affected.

Yes, auto attack helps crossbow fire and reload more consistently. Otherwise without auto-attack, sometimes you click to fire, and end up reloading instead.

In general, any ranged attack works easier with auto-attack. Since your target is far enough away usually you don't have to worry too much about timing your shots.

also....
- You can set your game preferences to enable auto-attack on double-click.
- Auto-attack ends when you use search