PDA

View Full Version : A player with a few questions please

Wolfmind
09-30-2014, 12:51 PM
Hello everyone,

I've created this thread in the hope of getting some answers/advice with the few questions I have. It would be great if some of you could help out. I'm not a stranger when it comes to MMO's/online games and do have some knowledge of D&D and some of HeroQuest.

1: Which of the classes might be good to choose as a returning player who hasn't played for a very long time. I purchased the game when it first got released as retail, but the PC I had the time didn't cope well with the game. I enjoy playing ranged and caster classes.

2: Are there a choice of servers/worlds to choose from? If so, which might be good for a player from the UK.

3: Is there anything I should know or maybe a bit of extra advice that might be good for me to know?

4: Are there many active guilds around?

Many thanks!

Therigar
09-30-2014, 01:31 PM
There are several servers to choose from. Opinions vary on which is best with a significant amount of server pride. There use to be some broad stereotypes that applied (this is most drama, this has best guilds, etc.) but those seem to have become less pronounced. Most servers are similar, there are some with larger player populations. And, there is one that is dedicated to German speaking players, although non-German speakers can still play there.

Guilds is a bit of a tricky question. There are large guilds on all the servers so "active" is somewhat deceptive. If your real question is about welcoming to new players and having a calendar of regular quests and gaming times then your experiences may vary considerably. Several guilds do exist that attempt to be accommodating but individual experiences don't always match up. Best suggestion is to try the different servers and see if you find a guild that is at or near peak activity at the same times as you game.

Now, I skipped two of your questions. I did that because the answers to those questions will be highly driven by opinion.

Ranged characters: There are two character classes that are, by design, range combat oriented -- artificer and ranger. However, both can be built to downplay the ranged capability and to stress some other aspect of the class. And, the game features thrown weapons and there are many thrower builds that do not use either of the range oriented classes as either the foundation or as a splash.

Caster characters: Essentially divided into arcane casters and divine casters but with some hybrids as well. Palemaster is a type of wizard and is very popular. Sorcerer is very popular, especially if the character racial type is warforged/bladeforged. Favored soul is a popular divine type. Druid is another divine type although most builds tend to focus on melee rather than on the caster side. The previously mentioned artificer is a type of arcane that blends some of the caster elements with ranged combat.

Some of the classes are not available if you are free to play. While most can be earned with sufficient favor the more common approach is to purchase access through the online store using either earned points or cash purchased points. Most are available if you are VIP which requires a monthly subscription (payable in chunks up to yearly at slightly reduced rates).

Finally, things you should know:

First, make a plan and stick to it in character development. The game allows splashing in additional character classes but you should really plan out those things before you do it. The sequence in which you take different classes can greatly affect the power of your character.

Second, don't fall in love with your first character. You will make mistakes. If you get to the point where you just can't tolerate the character it is alright to bank anything worth keeping and then to start over.

Third, don't get stuck on a particular build or character type. One way to avoid that is to build a different character on every server. Not only will you get the chance to see what differences there are in server populations but you will also get to see the differences in the character classes.

Lastly, never forget that DDO is always evolving. There will be times when significant changes occur. Don't let it throw you. You are starting at an excellent time because we have just had one of those major paradigm shifts. Things should be relatively stable for a good long while -- giving you plenty of time to figure out the game.

Wolfmind
09-30-2014, 01:51 PM
Hi Therigar,

Thank you for all the useful information there! I think my plan will be to look at both ranged and caster type classes and see which suits me best. I played quite a bit of LOTRO in the past, so I take it the store is kinda the same in this game? Can the expansion (or parts of them) content be purchased with Turbine Points as well as real cash in this game?

Therigar
09-30-2014, 02:49 PM
Hi Therigar,

Thank you for all the useful information there! I think my plan will be to look at both ranged and caster type classes and see which suits me best. I played quite a bit of LOTRO in the past, so I take it the store is kinda the same in this game? Can the expansion (or parts of them) content be purchased with Turbine Points as well as real cash in this game?

The stores work exactly the same. You can use earned TP or you can spend purchased (real cash) TP. Everything has a TP point cost.

Many players wait out Turbine (or at least think they do) and only buy when things are on sale. Since things go on sale fairly often this is a good approach. And, you can buy bundles or the separate parts depending on what you are interested in or what TP you have available.