PDA

View Full Version : The Ring of Alertness.

FranOhmsford
09-30-2014, 09:34 AM
OK - I'm sure I've talked about this before but it's been years so:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Ring_of_Alertness

1) Why the heck is this item non-vendorable? {don't say because it's a Starter item - I'm coming to that!}.

2) Why is it a "Starter" item when it's named chest loot?

3) It's called the "Ring of Alertness" so why the heck is it a Move Silently item?

4) +3 Move Silently is pretty pointless on a named item even in Korthos!

5) Being a non-vendorable Starter item - Why the heck does it have such a high drop rate?

Seriously Devs - This item is one of the most nonsensical pieces of named loot you've ever put into the game!

Now...On to Suggestions:

1) Remove the "Starter" tag so newbies can actually vendor this Piece of Trash rather than have a handful of them clogging up their inventory until they realise they have to drag and drop it to get rid of it! And Vets won't just leave it in the Chest!

2) Change it to Spot +3 / Listen +3 so it's actually of minor use for newbies.

3) If you can't be bothered to do either of the above then reduce the Drop Rate so that over the course of 8 Slayer Clearances it drops maybe twice rather than 15 times!

Heck you could make all three of the above changes!

Also: Now that we've got Random Drop Min Lvl 1 Prot 2 items can the "Engraved Ring" be either upgraded to Masterful Craftmanship Prot 2 OR have a Colourless Slot added please.

General_Gronker
10-01-2014, 06:33 PM
I don't often agree with you. But. . . yeah, you're right about this one.

Uska
10-01-2014, 07:23 PM
Agreed

doubledge
10-01-2014, 09:06 PM
I agree, ring of alertness and ring of protection need to lose the starter tag.

Imo they need to buff ring of alertness to...

ML 1 Search +3, Spot +3

And ring of protection to...

DR 2/magic.

JollySwagMan
10-02-2014, 12:40 AM
Fair enough, that seems reasonable. Though if I had my druthers I'd change the drop to a named ring of +5 cold resistance to fit with the theme of ice/water rares (Ice Mephit, Frost Spider and Sahuagin), plus it would be useful for newbies running snowy Misery's Peak. Could call it Cobalt Ring with a flavour text of 'This ring feels cool to the touch, and is inscribed with the text 'Kobold Still Hates You'. Now what on Khyber could that mean...?'

FranOhmsford
10-02-2014, 01:24 AM
I agree, ring of alertness and ring of protection need to lose the starter tag.

Uh...The ONLY Ring of Protection with a "Starter" tag is the one you get as "Starter" gear when creating Lvl 4 Characters.

Unlike the Ring of Alertness the Ring of Protection is vendorable when got from out of a chest!

Imo they need to buff ring of alertness to...

ML 1 Search +3, Spot +3

Too much - Would hurt the Troubleshooter's Goggles!

And ring of protection to...

DR 2/magic.

Yeah right - Ask for something the Devs might actually give why don't ya!

We all know what they think of Invulnerability from when they nerfed it!

FranOhmsford
10-02-2014, 01:29 AM
Fair enough, that seems reasonable. Though if I had my druthers I'd change the drop to a named ring of +5 cold resistance to fit with the theme of ice/water rares (Ice Mephit, Frost Spider and Sahuagin), plus it would be useful for newbies running snowy Misery's Peak. Could call it Cobalt Ring with a flavour text of 'This ring feels cool to the touch, and is inscribed with the text 'Kobold Still Hates You'. Now what on Khyber could that mean...?'

Yes...This would help brand new players on Snowyside but +5 Ele Res is basically worthless these days - Unless you're thinking of making it Insightful/Exceptional?

Oh and your Cobalt/Kobold idea is cute and all but completely lore-breaking!
Calling it a Cobalt Ring = Fine {adding the "Kobold" stuff = Just No!}

doubledge
10-02-2014, 09:43 PM
-snip

They should just remove both the rings then. They're garbage at any level. Noone in any sane mind would wear them.

Maybe make protection 1/magic, idk, maybe make it something other than something you leave in the chest at level 1.