PDA

View Full Version : Planning for the future. What do I keep?

Hazelnut
09-19-2014, 10:21 AM
I've been playing DDO for about a year now. Some would say casually since I have not yet reached level 20 on any characters. I tend toward rangers, and rogues with a combination of two-weapon fighting and ranged. I'm experimenting with sorcerer and have a bard that I like, too.

Now that the bard is level 15 and a couple others (rangers & rogues) are 13/14 ranger I realized I should be thinking about the TR. That, of course, means needing low level gear again. But what? For the existing low-level characters, what is important to keep for the next life?

There are some obvious (and often hard-to-get) low level gear that is useful throughout a life. This is stuff that will probably stay in my backback to swap-out when needed. So far I've got 2 items on this list:
- thing of Underwater Action (swim without running out of air)
- thing of Feather (don't get hurt on those big falls)

Less obvious would be items that need to be replaced with better gear as you progress but are very hard to obtain. I expect this might be somewhat build specific. My guess is to take one bank tab (20 items) to store key items for various levels at the next life. My initial thought was to keep main and off-hand weapons, bow, and armor. What else and is this even the right approach?

I might be over thinking this, but my first thought is to retain the new core set of items for every 4th level (4, 8, 12, 16, 20). Suggestions on how to approach?

Noctus
09-19-2014, 11:43 AM
MY best beloved two TR weapons are an old unbound Muckbane and a Carnifex.

I switch/update my gearsetup at 3rd, 7th and 11th level.

If you have some time to run Shroud i'd recommend makeing a +45 HP Radiance Guard Item. I found the boots slot to be the best palce for that. It can beworn from 11 to 28 and is useful for every type of char you could TR into.

Also:
How high are your Cannith crafting levels?

Hazelnut
09-19-2014, 12:51 PM
MY best beloved two TR weapons are an old unbound Muckbane and a Carnifex.

I switch/update my gearsetup at 3rd, 7th and 11th level.

If you have some time to run Shroud i'd recommend makeing a +45 HP Radiance Guard Item. I found the boots slot to be the best palce for that. It can beworn from 11 to 28 and is useful for every type of char you could TR into.

Also:
How high are your Cannith crafting levels?

My crafting levels range from zero (on most servers) up to around 40 on Thelanis. I do plan to have a crafter on each server (that I'm active on) but I got bored.

Stoner81
09-19-2014, 01:39 PM
My advice would be to keep at least character in epics than that way you have an over powered toon for grinding out loot you want for your TR toon plus it also gives you other stuff to run once you get bored of heroics for a change of pace etc. Beyond that I would suggest the following items:

- Green Steel 45HP Smoke item (Displacement clicky x2 and perma Blur, I use the goggles slot for this).
- Green Steel weapons (main options being MinII and LitII).
- Clock of Invisibility (drops in Tempest Spine, drop a Heavy Fortification augment in to the slot and wear it at level 9 until cap).
- Feather Fall and Underwater action items.

Depending on how often you plan to TR you will find find you need different gear every single life (to a point).

Stoner81.

Seikojin
09-19-2014, 02:01 PM
My advice would be to keep at least character in epics than that way you have an over powered toon for grinding out loot you want for your TR toon plus it also gives you other stuff to run once you get bored of heroics for a change of pace etc. Beyond that I would suggest the following items:

- Green Steel 45HP Smoke item (Displacement clicky x2 and perma Blur, I use the goggles slot for this).
- Green Steel weapons (main options being MinII and LitII).
- Clock of Invisibility (drops in Tempest Spine, drop a Heavy Fortification augment in to the slot and wear it at level 9 until cap).
- Feather Fall and Underwater action items.

Depending on how often you plan to TR you will find find you need different gear every single life (to a point).

Stoner81.

This for the most part. A thing of invulnerability helps a ton in low to early mid levels (1-11). A gs sp item is really nice to have as well.

I always keep 1 or more characters in the epic ranges. It helps break the tedium to be able to run at level, or work on destinies, etc. After my 5th or so life, erring came out, and from then on I have either er'd then tr'd, or went into an iconic. I also capped out all my destinies before my first er, which many would shoot down, however the karma and exp to go from 20-28 is the same, so having all the fate points and abilities unlocked is a great boon.

TEcarson
09-19-2014, 02:18 PM
My crafting levels range from zero (on most servers) up to around 40 on Thelanis. I do plan to have a crafter on each server (that I'm active on) but I got bored.

My main crafter on Thelanis is Muddchook. He is level 150 in all schools. I am happy to craft for you if you send me essences. (I have a pretty good collection of them but there are some I am low on)

Fedora1
09-19-2014, 03:20 PM
Like others have stated, it is good to keep 1 high level character and alternate ER/TR between the two. Since what you need in the next life is very dependent upon what you decide to be, it can be a nightmare trying to manage all the inventory.

As far as what a "low" level character needs, the answer is pretty much nothing. Random loot will easily serve you with little-to-no difference over named/bound items with only a few exceptions. I wouldn't worry about a character's gear until somewhere around L7-9. Don't bother saving anything lower than that, just use what you acquire.

It also helps if you plan on staying melee/ranged/caster for a few lives in a row instead of bouncing around between wizard, barbarian, cleric, bard, sorcerer, etc. Rangers and rogues can often use similar gear, as can sorcs and wizards, etc.

Now the question becomes much more relevant if you Epic Reincarnate, as there is a lot if truly useful gear beginning at L20 that is much better than random loot of the same level.

EllisDee37
09-19-2014, 10:47 PM
I keep all characters in epics (typically at cap) and only TR one character at a time. With that in mind, I only need one set of twink gear, BTA, to pass around to whoever happens to be TRing at the time. Some of my favorite items, all BTA:

ML1 Feather Falling boots of Jump +3
ML1 Goggles of Secret Door Detection
ML1 Flaming greatsword of Bleed

ML7 ring of Heavy Fortification
ML7 belt of Greater False Life

ML9 Strength +6 ring
ML9 Wisdom +6 hat
ML9 Health +6 necklace
ML9 Intelligence +6 goggles

ML13 Charisma +6 ring of Persuasion (swap item)

Most of that can be made unbound for you. BTA lootgen you can deconstruct and craft on -- which remains BTA after crafting -- is available in Sharn Syndicate, Red Fens, Catacombs, Waterworks, etc... Details here (http://ddowiki.com/page/Cannith_Crafting/BtA_base_items).

In addition to crafted gear, some of the challenge gear is pretty nice. Particularly bracers of wind:

ML3 Bracers of Wind (perma-blur)

Be sure not to take it to tier 3, since that switches it to BTC. I actually keep a four challenge items in various levels (all tier 2) for leveling arcane casters, since those have the best spell power + lore combos you can find while leveling:

Frozen Tunic (cold)
Bracers of Wind (electric)
Cloak of Flames (fire)
Rock Boots (acid)

janave
09-20-2014, 12:38 AM
I think DDO changed so much, that the idea of twink gear is much less an issue:

For me its:

1. Buy the best +-s off the AH if i dont find any at level, deadly items, accuracy items, stat items, whatever i need till about +6s. = save up a lot of platinum instead of precious bank space. If you find cheap masterful and or cursed items with good stats like false life +30, those are often best in slot

2. BtA and Challenge gear

3. Any other hard to acquire gear that may or may not have some situatioanl use, usually raid loot that just feels weird to trash, tharnes set, DQ, Von, Abbot loot.

4. Dragon Armor, usually just the black one

(bonus) 5. Making a crafting guy to at least 50s, even better to 70s in all crafting spheres is really helpful! A human artificer can get boosted levels.

I find myself trahsing a lot of old named items that got outdated. Random loot is overall pretty flat, but it has its uses to level up, especially from 1-15.

Hazelnut
09-20-2014, 11:28 AM
You all seam to agree on some general guidelines about preparing to TR...

1) Don't worry too much about lower levels (1 to ~6). Random loot mostly suffices and if you want something specific buy it on the AH or craft it.

2) Level's 7 and 11 seam to be key levels to have gear ready to go. Some of this could still be purchased on the AH. It will be somewhat class dependent. Level 20 is also pretty key but one is looking for Epic gear at this point.

3) Keep one character in epic (level 20 and above) who can farm gear for your lower level characters (fresh TR). I guess this would be the first character.

So... If I re-vamp my plan a bit, but stick with one bank tab, then levels 7 (presumably 6, 7, 8) and 11 (presumably 10, 11, 12) are key but even then I'm probably looking at what I would call support gear (not weapons or armour). Gear such as +stat items, Fortification, and False life. Beyond that it would be more class dependent (rogue needs trapper gear, casters need spell enhancers, etc.).

And, although not consistent, number 4 should probably be keep lots of platinum (it is easier to buy from the auction house).

TitusOvid
09-20-2014, 12:43 PM
If you have the time and the vale pack, stack away a set of shroud shards and min. 1 signet stone.

Maybe you need to craft some greensteel at lvl 12+ and those are things you can't get your hands on (easily).

TheGuyYouKnow
09-20-2014, 12:52 PM
generally i find named items while leveling are lacking the max bonuses you could be getting but there are some exceptions

carnifex - best 2h weapon until you get imp crit
cannith crafted +2/4/6 stats put on BTA equipment so i can switch them between characters
sora kell set -+6 str,wis,cha damage, potency, true seeing
shield/invis/deathward clickies
greensteel - haste/displace clickies and hp/sp
spell absorption items - extremely useful, especially for beholders

for ranger -
silver longbow
black dragonhide armor
quiver of poison
wind howler bracers

MangLord
09-20-2014, 02:48 PM
It really depends on the character you plan on TRing into. For me, I have an idea of what my next two lives will be, so I'll collect appropriate stuff as I quest through my current life, and resell it when I'm done if I don't plan on needed those weapons or gear again. I often use good lootgen items I find, which a lot of people seem to disregard. A mastercrafted acid rapier of heartseeking will be very handy for a bard or rogue faced with a dungeon full of trolls. I planned for my Pale Master life for a few lives, mainly because it would be my first life wholly dedicated to spellcasting, and I felt I needed all the equipment advantages I could get. I acquired a huge selection of scepters with various spellpowers and DC boosting items that I could use along the way, mostly through questing and handouts, but a few pieces from the AH, and it was very helpful. I'd heard people complaining that CC DC checks weren't really incredible until your third wizard life, but I had absolutely no issues death spelling, dancing and webbing everything in sight, in no small part to gearing and feat choices. Using an example for my most recent reincarnation, I took a little extra time in Three Barrel Cove last life to score a Tiefling Assassin's Blade, since I knew I'd be working on a swashbuckling bard next. I'll likely hang onto it for rogue life, but after that I'll just sell it. Using it while swashbuckling, it is a tremendous asset that I'm very glad I took an extra couple hours to acquire. For cleric I previously found a bunch of scimitars in expectation for an elf warpriest life, and they came in very handy. I couldn't see myself using scimitars again, so I sold them after they were no longer useful, and someone bought them on the AH for a very reasonable price.

As far as non-build-specific stuff I always hang onto, it's mostly dragonscale armor, greensteel gear and weapons, and a select few pieces like the Voice of the Master, Visor of the Fleshrender Guards (7 minute deathward clickie) and Ioun Stones. Stuff I can't/don't want to make over and over. I also have several mules that carry specific stuff, like one guy that stocks my light weapons, armor and roguey things, and another that just holds on to caster specific stuff. One mule is dedicated to holding mastercrafted epic gear for ETRing. I've acquired a full lvl 1-11 mastercrafted set of speed/deadly/seeker/false life items that I can switch to every level, because I often build crit-heavy builds and I enjoy melee characters most. I can't craft those item enhancements or otherwise I'd just dump them, too. I realize that I'm a gear geek, but that's the way I like to play and it makes me happy.

Cannith Crafting is an immensely powerful resource for TRing. Its an investment in time, but the payoff is well worth it. Every odd level I redo my gear to stay optimized, and I enjoy it. Some people don't, and I can respect that. I have a bunch of items I save, pop them on, and fill in the gaps with crafted items. Crafting is very enjoyable to me, whether its for myself or a friend. I like creating something good out of resources that took work to obtain. When I leave the crafting hall after leveling, I feel confident that I'll be a real party asset no matter what class I'm working on at the moment, and that makes my overall gaming experience better.

Gaining crafting levels is much easier than it used to be. Personally, I'd suggest sticking with one server and using combined resources to get one character to high level crafting. I have one character capped for crafting levels, and with a shared bank, she can supply all my other characters with BTA shards so they can stay well geared on their travels. If you ask, most people are happy to pass along their crafting ingredients while you quest. My leveling strategy for crafting was to accumulate a life's worth of essences, TR, then get a free crafting elixir for the optional crafting hall tutorial quest each life, and just blow essences like I was in Vegas while the elixir was active. Once you hit the first tier of Cannith favor, you can buy crafting elixirs as often as you like. I highly recommend the investment, but it does require some dedication.

If anyone needs some crafting done on Argonnessen, I'm happy to provide services.

stoerm
09-22-2014, 07:36 AM
There isn't really a limit on how much preparation you can make for a TR. There's the great big TR checklist, which doesn't seem to be linked yet in this thread.

All the stuff in your backpack is kept, so space isn't usually an issue for a first TR anyhow.

For melees I want to have among other things, this is off the top of my head:

+4 stat item set (usually crafted)
+6 stat item set (mostly crafted)
75% fort item (crafted)
100% fort item (crafted or Minos)
Deathblock item
Deadly item
Blurry item
Raise dead clicky item
Greensteel HP item
Invulnerability armor/robe for low levels

Shields
Lowbie beater (screaming of bleeding with no enhancement)
Undead bane for pre-Delera levels
Undead bane for Delera and after
Marut beater for VoN3
Ooze beater, usually crafted everbright blunt
Big 5 weapons in my order of importance: Disruptor, Smiter, Banisher, Paralyzer, Vorpal
General beater, usually greensteel