PDA

View Full Version : Druid build advice

Juxter
09-18-2014, 12:34 AM
Hi,

I'm currently going for completionist, and on 6th life playing druid shada-kai race (for 1% dodge).
Toon is now 13druid/1rogue as caster druid. Plan to level to 28 (19druid/1rogue/8epic) then quickly e-TR.
I've maxed all epic destiny spheres
@lvl 1, stats: str8, dex14, con16, int14, wis18, cha6; level up all into wis
Feats:
1 toughness
3 maximize
6 wiz PL (arc prod)
9 empower
12 sf:evocation
15 quicken
18 sf:necro?
21 mental toughness?
24 improv mental toughness?
26 epic spell power: element?
27 ruin?
28 epic spell power: element?

Q1) I've been keeping search, disable device, heal, and spellcraft at max.
Currently I can now focus on another skill.
I'm considering either balance (cross-class) or diplo (class skill, for audience/tea with queen).
My toon won't have enough skill pts for both. Which would you suggest is more important?
Or should I reallocate skills in a different way?

Q2) Which feats would you recommend I take, beyond lvl 15?

Thnx,
-Juxter

cru121
09-18-2014, 01:25 AM
SF:Necro is a trap. Consider Heighten Spell instead, particularly if you are using SLAs.

Given that you won't get the capstone, look at one of the following:
* second rogue level for evasion
* fighter level for Heavy Armor proficiency and extra feat (Shield Deflection?)
* wizard level for bonus feat and some enhancements perhaps

Nachomammashouse
09-18-2014, 02:40 AM
Hi,

I'm currently going for completionist, and on 6th life playing druid shada-kai race (for 1% dodge).
Toon is now 13druid/1rogue as caster druid. Plan to level to 28 (19druid/1rogue/8epic) then quickly e-TR.
I've maxed all epic destiny spheres
@lvl 1, stats: str8, dex14, con16, int14, wis18, cha6; level up all into wis
Feats:
1 toughness
3 maximize
6 wiz PL (arc prod)
9 empower
12 sf:evocation
15 quicken
21 mental toughness?
26 epic spell power: element?
27 ruin?

Q1) I've been keeping search, disable device, heal, and spellcraft at max.
Currently I can now focus on another skill.
I'm considering either balance (cross-class) or diplo (class skill, for colors of queen).
My toon won't have enough skill pts for both. Which would you suggest is more important?
Or should I reallocate skills in a different way?

Q2) Which feats would you recommend I take, beyond lvl 15?

Thnx,
-Juxter

Cru is right about SF: necro. skip it for greater evo. Epic spell power = cold. L28 doesn't matter if you're ERing right away. L27 maybe Epic Toughness if you want more HP. I highly recommend taking quicken no later than L9. Definitely before the wiz pl. You have so many SLA's as a druid that you won't miss the 10 free mm's from wiz pl.

Juxter
09-18-2014, 02:51 AM
Hi Cru/Nacho,

Much appreciated for feat advice.
Any suggestions on skills, whether should focus on diplo (for audience/tea with queen), or balance?

Thnx,
-Juxter

Nachomammashouse
09-18-2014, 02:55 AM
Hi Cru/Nacho,

Much appreciated for feat advice.
Any suggestions on skills, whether should focus on diplo (for colors of queen), or balance?

Thnx,
-Juxter

Balance is a solid choice. I'm partial to UMD because I like to use teleport and raise scrolls. But I would recommend concentration before either of those.

Juxter
09-18-2014, 04:01 AM
Balance is a solid choice. I'm partial to UMD because I like to use teleport and raise scrolls. But I would recommend concentration before either of those.

Thnx Nacho,

I thought about UMD, however since druids have reincarnate, then rez scrolls aren't as critical (have royal guard mask for teleport).
I also thought about concentration, but since I'm taking quicken feat at next level, figured concentration wasn't high in importance.

unbongwah
09-18-2014, 08:45 AM
1 toughness
Since you started DEX 14, you may want to swap this for Dodge; it also opens up SDK Imp Dodge so you can get +6% Dodge, if you stick with light armor or robes.

I agree that Necro is a bad choice, since druids only get one good Necro spell (FoD); it's not worth spending a feat for +1 DC to it.

21 mental toughness?
I'm not a fan of MT feats - not a good ROI for a feat-starved class, IMHO - but my view is you should either take none of them or go for all three to max out the bonus SPs and +3% crit chance.

I like Mass Frog just for the lulz, but I'll concede it's not the most useful spell.

* wizard level for bonus feat and some enhancements perhaps
If OP isn't going for Evasion, then since this is a caster build, I would recommend wiz splash: extra metamagic, 1 free SLA (e.g., Magic Missile for extra Shiradi spam), +1% crit chance, some extra Spellpower; if he's building for AC, Imp Mage Armor (+10% AC) is nice.

I also thought about concentration, but since I'm taking quicken feat at next level, figured wasn't high in importance.
You want Quicken and high Concentration, IMHO, because (A) Quicken doesn't affect scrolls and (B) there are lots of times where high Concentration is sufficient so you don't need to burn extra SPs on Quicken when it's unnecessary. In fact, I would argue Concentration is more important than Heal: plenty of ways to boost Pos Spellpower, not so many ways of boosting Concentration.

Panzermeyer
09-18-2014, 03:00 PM
Thnx Nacho,

I thought about UMD, however since druids have reincarnate, then rez scrolls aren't as critical (have royal guard mask).
I also thought about concentration, but since I'm taking quicken feat at next level, figured wasn't high in importance.

That is not true. Even quickened a druid rez takes about 8-9 seconds to cast.
If those you are trying to raise are in risk of snapping back you will often find that they do not get the rez.

Just something to consider.

Personally as a caster druid I boost my perform for the bonus to sonic damage in Storm of Vengeance.

Juxter
09-18-2014, 04:11 PM
Since you started DEX 14, you may want to swap this for Dodge; it also opens up SDK Imp Dodge so you can get +6% Dodge, if you stick with light armor or robes.

I agree that Necro is a bad choice, since druids only get one good Necro spell (FoD); it's not worth spending a feat for +1 DC to it.

I'm not a fan of MT feats - not a good ROI for a feat-starved class, IMHO - but my view is you should either take none of them or go for all three to max out the bonus SPs and +3% crit chance.

I like Mass Frog just for the lulz, but I'll concede it's not the most useful spell.

If OP isn't going for Evasion, then since this is a caster build, I would recommend wiz splash: extra metamagic, 1 free SLA (e.g., Magic Missile for extra Shiradi spam), +1% crit chance, some extra Spellpower; if he's building for AC, Imp Mage Armor (+10% AC) is nice.

You want Quicken and high Concentration, IMHO, because (A) Quicken doesn't affect scrolls and (B) there are lots of times where high Concentration is sufficient so you don't need to burn extra SPs on Quicken when it's unnecessary. In fact, I would argue Concentration is more important than Heal: plenty of ways to boost Pos Spellpower, not so many ways of boosting Concentration.

Thnx Unbongwah.

Will focus on concentration, and drop concept of balance/diplo(audience/tea with queen).

Your suggestion on 1 level in wizard piqued my interest.
By taking a wizard level -

Gains:
meta-magic feat (probably heighten, maybe enlarge)
+1% crit elements/force/untyped
+3 conc/intim/spellcraft (eldritch knight)
45 hp (30 PM, 15 eldritch knight)
+1 universal spell power (archmage)
wizard SLA (prob magic missile or invis)

Loss:
7th and 9th druid spell slot
~75sp
1 druid caster lvl (prob the most significant)
2 skill pts
2hp

Hmm.. wondering now if it's worth it.

I have Q's regarding SLA's.
Q1) Suppose I level to 20 and take 1st level wizard, and choose evoc for magic missile SLA.
How many missiles would shoot per casting? How is it calculated?

Q2) As druid, I've been using lots of SLA call lightning, and now sunburst.
How are the DC's calculate for those?

cru121
09-22-2014, 01:34 AM
wizard splash can be spell point neutral.

you're losing 95 from druid, 1 x wis mod from bonus spell points
you get 50 from wizard, 10 x int mod from bonus spell points, and possibly some from spending in Archmage tree

imho the main loss is the caster level. though many spells have caster level capped well below 18.
access to Shield/Nightshield is another bonus.
weaker wolf is another minus.

you're going to shoot a single missile, unless you have effects that increase your wizard caster level or your evocation caster level (arcane augmentation items, being in arcane ED, the set bonus from chronoscope items..)

DC for your druid SLAs is the same as a druid spell of the same level. Heighten helps to keep the SLAs relevant imho.

SirValentine
09-22-2014, 03:56 AM

That was my thinking in originally taking it, but if you get your DC up, it really is useful; with a mid-60s DC, it lands fairly well everywhere but EE Storm Horns. (And even there, on some mob types...not Orcs.)