PDA

View Full Version : Advice please!

daniel7
09-14-2014, 08:42 AM
First off, thanks for taking the time to read and comment. I've been gone from the game for about two years...U15 or U16 I think, so I have zero experience with the new enhancement system. I'm getting back into the game to play with a friend and I will probably TR again at level 20, maybe a few levels later if he wants to play around with epic levels, but let's just focus on levels 1-19. Here is what I'm working with:

36 point build. +3 tomes all the way around I think. 3 paladin past lives. 1 cleric past life. In the bank I have lots of Khopeshes, healing amp gear, Mabar wraps at level 4,8,12,16,20. Tons of old school loot that was cool when the cap was 10,12,14,16,20.

Vindicate. 36 point human. 18rgr/1mnk.

1. Toughness
1. Power Attack
3. Khopesh
6. Maximize
9. Improve Critical: slash
12. Quicken
12. Improve Critical: ranged <-Monk
15. Point Blank shot???
18. Magic Training???

I don't need help with Stats, just feats. Am I missing anything important...feat requirements for Tempest or Arcane Archer? Thanks!

P.S.
The level of monk is mostly for hand wraps against undead and bludgeon dr. The obvious choices for when to take that monk level are level 7, 10, or 12 depending on when I want my important ranger feats. When would you take that monk level?

Qhualor
09-14-2014, 09:07 AM
Toughness is more optional now that we are auto granted http://ddowiki.com/page/Improved_Heroic_Durability so you could replace Toughness, if you like, for 2WF line or IC slashing. personally I take the 2WF and IC line leaving out Magic Training and Quicken until epics, but I play a Tempest with a bow for emergencies. that's up to you though, but I never felt the need to take them in heroics.

you can dip into all prestiges now and don't have to focus on 1. so you can pick and choose which ones you like meeting only level requirements and certain feat requirements like Dodge for Improved Dodge. its not like the old days anymore when you needed to take specific feats to unlock a specific prestige. you will notice though that what used to be part of a prestige or came with the class is now mixed up into different prestiges, which means you most likely will take enhancements you don't really want just to get what you want.

if your focus is 1-20, than that's not a bad feat list. there some survivability there along with some increased ranged damage. might want to look into http://ddowiki.com/page/Ten_Thousand_Stars if you arte taking monk levels. pretty insane damage. overall, the Tempest prestige has gotten quite a good boost since the pass and there are a couple good timer adjustment fixes coming next update making it better. Tempest is a lot more fun than they already were before.

mezzorco
09-14-2014, 09:29 AM
Isn't it easier to swap to hammers instead of taking a monk level?
Anyway, feat wise I would drop toughness and point blank shot for dodge and mobility. A 5% dodge increase (plus related enhancements) is very handy.

Saekee
09-14-2014, 09:48 AM
First off, thanks for taking the time to read and comment. I've been gone from the game for about two years...U15 or U16 I think, so I have zero experience with the new enhancement system. I'm getting back into the game to play with a friend and I will probably TR again at level 20, maybe a few levels later if he wants to play around with epic levels, but let's just focus on levels 1-19. Here is what I'm working with:

36 point build. +3 tomes all the way around I think. 3 paladin past lives. 1 cleric past life. In the bank I have lots of Khopeshes, healing amp gear, Mabar wraps at level 4,8,12,16,20. Tons of old school loot that was cool when the cap was 10,12,14,16,20.

Vindicate. 36 point human. 18rgr/1mnk.

1. Toughness
1. Power Attack
3. Khopesh
6. Maximize
9. Improve Critical: slash
12. Quicken
12. Improve Critical: ranged <-Monk
15. Point Blank shot???
18. Magic Training???

I don't need help with Stats, just feats. Am I missing anything important...feat requirements for Tempest or Arcane Archer? Thanks!

P.S.
The level of monk is mostly for hand wraps against undead and bludgeon dr. The obvious choices for when to take that monk level are level 7, 10, or 12 depending on when I want my important ranger feats. When would you take that monk level?

how attached are you with that level split? 11 ranger gets all the feats from that class; 12 nets you the tempest core for deflect arrows while dual wielding. The monk archers (called 'monchers' here) go ranged with 10k stars (you need 6 monk levels to qualify) and zen archery for a potent combo of manyshot and 10k bow power. The other two levels could be 2 fighter for feats or 2 pally for saves.
If you really are committed to just 1 or 2 monk levels then you will be anyway uncentered all the time with armor and khopeshes. Hence the unarmed attack speed will be ineffective.

daniel7
09-14-2014, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the quick replies guys. I'm on my phone so I'm not going to use quotes, sorry for the laziness.

Qhualor, thanks for the information. Back in my day Toughness was almost a requirement. Would you recommend Dodge in it's place? Monk Archer builds were a new thing last I played, I'm glad it's still a viable option.

Mezzorco, I wouldn't splash monk if I wasn't going to TR, I just think it's nice to have Mabar wraps for all the undead quests and wraps for Oozes and Rusties...though I'll many shot them when I can.

Saekee, I'm interested in Monker builds too. It will be a week or two before I have my PC and Internet up at my new house so I'll have time to think it over.

Some new questions:
Has healing amp, particularly human recovery, been nerfed any?
Do people still do Shroud runs? I might have enough raw material to make a Lit2 bow.
If I decide I'm not going to TR and make a pure ranger build instead, should I keep maximize or use empower healing with cocoon?
How do you guys feel about Khopeshes? I have a lot of them so that's what I use but is it still worth the feat?

Qhualor
09-14-2014, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the quick replies guys. I'm on my phone so I'm not going to use quotes, sorry for the laziness.

Qhualor, thanks for the information. Back in my day Toughness was almost a requirement. Would you recommend Dodge in it's place? Monk Archer builds were a new thing last I played, I'm glad it's still a viable option.

Mezzorco, I wouldn't splash monk if I wasn't going to TR, I just think it's nice to have Mabar wraps for all the undead quests and wraps for Oozes and Rusties...though I'll many shot them when I can.

Saekee, I'm interested in Monker builds too. It will be a week or two before I have my PC and Internet up at my new house so I'll have time to think it over.

Some new questions:
Has healing amp, particularly human recovery, been nerfed any?
Do people still do Shroud runs? I might have enough raw material to make a Lit2 bow.
If I decide I'm not going to TR and make a pure ranger build instead, should I keep maximize or use empower healing with cocoon?
How do you guys feel about Khopeshes? I have a lot of them so that's what I use but is it still worth the feat?

sure, Dodge is good and it will open Improved Dodge enhancement for you too. better defense is always good.

healing amp on gear is harder to find in heroics. theres just a few named items in heroics and I would guess you weren't around when there was heal amp random loot. they no longer drop. Human heal amp is the same as before.

Shroud is still run, but its usually 18-28 now and less frequent as before. its still viable in epics, but there is better epic gear than GS. its still considered very good twink gear though.

take Empower Heal with Cocoon. my ranger has that and uses CSW. pretty much all you need for epics.

Khopeshes are still good. I like the crits I get from my Epic Chaosblade.

daniel7
09-15-2014, 10:41 AM
Thanks again for the info Qhualor. So I've played several pure rangers before so now I'm really thinking about multiclassing this one. I'm thinking about 6 levels of monk for 10k stars. I'd like to do the Shintoa enhancement line for +10% healing amp. Here are my new questions:

1. What level does Ranger get cure serious?
2. What are the pros and cons to 12 vs 13 vs 14 levels of ranger?
3. Are you concerned with U23 changes with 10k stars builds?

Thanks again for your advice.

Grailhawk
09-15-2014, 11:26 AM
Thanks again for the info Qhualor. So I've played several pure rangers before so now I'm really thinking about multiclassing this one. I'm thinking about 6 levels of monk for 10k stars. I'd like to do the Shintoa enhancement line for +10% healing amp. Here are my new questions:

1. 14 at the earliest
2. 12 has 100% off hand proc (thats not something a monkcher should care about), 13 is garbage, 14 is one 4th level spell (FOM, or CSW), 15 is 2 4th level spells and a favored enemy but then you don't have enough levels for 6 monk and 10k stars. I dont think a monkcher should bother with more then 11.
3. Handed heard there were changes, but not really.

daniel7
09-15-2014, 01:04 PM
I'll either do 11 or 14 levels of ranger if I want to get cure serious. I could probably get by with cure moderate with my healing amp. I could take Maximize and swap it out for empower healing at epic levels. I don't know how this stuff stacks any more but here are some of the healing amp sources I'll have access to:

5% - Paladin Past Life
5% - Paladin Past Life
5% - Paladin Past Life

5% - Monk level 1 enhancement
5% - Monk level 3 enhancement
5% - Monk level 6 enhancement

10% - Human
10% - Human
10% - Human

25% - Jidz-Tet'ka
10% + 20% - Dragontouched Robes
I feel like I have some bracers and gloves that have healing amor too...not sure though

Obviously at level 11 I could decide if I want to do 3 more ranger levels for CSW if I just plan on a ranger/monk split but I think if I go with 11 ranger I'll be doing some levels from a third class...maybe 3 paladin. Anyways I'll post back with the results when I get to level 20 and level 28. Thanks again for the help.

Grailhawk
09-15-2014, 04:09 PM
I'll either do 11 or 14 levels of ranger if I want to get cure serious. I could probably get by with cure moderate with my healing amp. I could take Maximize and swap it out for empower healing at epic levels. I don't know how this stuff stacks any more but here are some of the healing amp sources I'll have access to:

5% - Paladin Past Life
5% - Paladin Past Life
5% - Paladin Past Life

10% - Human
10% - Human
10% - Human

25% - Jidz-Tet'ka
I feel like I have some bracers and gloves that have healing amor too...not sure though

Obviously at level 11 I could decide if I want to do 3 more ranger levels for CSW if I just plan on a ranger/monk split but I think if I go with 11 ranger I'll be doing some levels from a third class...maybe 3 paladin. Anyways I'll post back with the results when I get to level 20 and level 28. Thanks again for the help.

Last i know

5% - Paladin Past Life
5% - Paladin Past Life
5% - Paladin Past Life
1.05*1.05*1.05 ~ 1.16

0.05+0.05+0.05 = 0.15 or 1.15 Multiplier

10% - Human
10% - Human
10% - Human
0.10 + 0.10 + 0.10 = 0.30 or 1.30 Multiplier

25% - Jidz-Tet'ka
1.25*1.10*1.2 = 1.65 Multiplier

Total Amp of 2.86

Expected Cure Moderate would be (assuming 138 Devotion sloted on a +12 item and 23 Ranks of Heal and WIS 46 for total devotion of 215 + 75 Empower heal = 290)

24.5*3.90*2.86 = 273.27 avg

daniel7
09-15-2014, 04:48 PM
Last i know

5% - Paladin Past Life
5% - Paladin Past Life
5% - Paladin Past Life
1.05*1.05*1.05 ~ 1.16

0.05+0.05+0.05 = 0.15 or 1.15 Multiplier

10% - Human
10% - Human
10% - Human
0.10 + 0.10 + 0.10 = 0.30 or 1.30 Multiplier

25% - Jidz-Tet'ka
1.25*1.10*1.2 = 1.65 Multiplier

Total Amp of 2.86

Expected Cure Moderate would be (assuming 138 Devotion sloted on a +12 item and 23 Ranks of Heal and WIS 46 for total devotion of 215 + 75 Empower heal = 290)

24.5*3.90*2.86 = 273.27 avg

Wow! Thanks Grailhawk!

Qhualor
09-15-2014, 05:00 PM

5% - Paladin Past Life
5% - Paladin Past Life
5% - Paladin Past Life

10% - Human
10% - Human
10% - Human

25% - Jidz-Tet'ka

DT armor is nice to have for heroics, but it quickly becomes outdated in epics. I would look into the Commendation turn ins in Eveningstar for some pretty decent set bonuses and there is some nice gear too.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Purple_Dragon_Gauntlets

Qhualor
09-15-2014, 05:03 PM

3. honestly, there have been some cries for Monkcher nerfs aimed specifically at 10k stars, Manyshot and Fury. I know a dev commented that they are going to eventually look into it sometime to see if any changes should or need be changed. so don't be surprised if suddenly you cant use 10k with Manyshot or cooldowns have been changed or something else.

daniel7
09-16-2014, 07:14 AM
3. honestly, there have been some cries for Monkcher nerfs aimed specifically at 10k stars, Manyshot and Fury. I know a dev commented that they are going to eventually look into it sometime to see if any changes should or need be changed. so don't be surprised if suddenly you cant use 10k with Manyshot or cooldowns have been changed or something else.

So U23 brings more melee power and ranged power will be boosted at some point in the future. This is in a way an indirect nerf that should be temporary. It seriously took over five years for ranged combat to get decent so let's hope they don't take too long on making ranged Epic Destinies. I think the biggest fear is for the few Melee EDs that work with ranged might be taken away, making Monchers much less desirable to play and level.
I am a casual player that's been hit by the nerf bat before (changes to WoP on my TWF Rog :/) but that's never stopped me from having fun, especially now that TR is a thing.

EllisDee37
09-16-2014, 07:26 AM
If you have raider's boxes, you might want to consider grabbing a pinion.

Saekee
10-01-2014, 03:49 PM
So how has your build progressed? Curious.

daniel7
10-05-2014, 01:42 PM
So how has your build progressed? Curious.

Sadly I haven't even started yet. I recently moved and gave my old PC away. I'm building one now. All the parts have arrived except the tower. The tower will be here on Tuesday at the latest, so as long as everything works (my 1st time building a PC) then I'll be online Tuesday night.

daniel7
10-13-2014, 10:13 AM
So I get my new PC working and I can't TR my toon (old holy swords in my TR bank are bugged so I can't empty my TR cache).

I have a level 16 drow (28 point) and a level 9 elf (34 point) that both have a +1 and a +20 lesser heart of wood. Maybe I'll play around with both, leave the elf pure and the drow a 10k build.