PDA

View Full Version : Swashbuckler and Valenar Grace

Wanker
09-12-2014, 10:51 PM
Quick question, once you have Valenar Grace from the Elf Enhancement tree, can you use a scimitar and get the swashbuckling/swf benefits?

Thanks!

EnziteBob
09-12-2014, 10:58 PM
Quick question, once you have Valenar Grace from the Elf Enhancement tree, can you use a scimitar and get the swashbuckling/swf benefits?

Thanks!

no must be finesseable
http://ddowiki.com/page/Swashbuckling#Swashbuckling

Wanker
09-12-2014, 11:03 PM
no must be finesseable
http://ddowiki.com/page/Swashbuckling#Swashbuckling

Right, but does that enhancement essentially make scimitars finessable weapons? I read elsewhere that the ranger feat for scimitars works for this. So curious if the Elf one does too?

EnziteBob
09-12-2014, 11:17 PM
Right, but does that enhancement essentially make scimitars finessable weapons? I read elsewhere that the ranger feat for scimitars works for this. So curious if the Elf one does too?

for Rangers the enhancement reads: Tempest: You gain +10% chance to make off-hand attacks when dual wielding. While you are dual wielding, you can use your dexterity modifier to hit with light melee weapons. You now treat Scimitars as if they were light melee weapons. Therefore making the weapon type different. Valenar does not change anything, but what you use for you mod.

Humperdink
09-12-2014, 11:59 PM

Thanks!

I'm not sure about the elf, but I can confirm that the second core Tempest does qualify scimitar for Swashbuckler. It does require minimum 3 levels of ranger and points spent in the Tempest tree. I built a 12bard/3rgr to test it.

Wanker
09-13-2014, 12:07 AM
I'm not sure about the elf, but I can confirm that the second core Tempest does qualify scimitar for Swashbuckler. It does require minimum 3 levels of ranger and points spent in the Tempest tree. I built a 12bard/3rgr to test it.

How do you like it? I'm guessing it isn't worth it? As much as I'd love to play with a scimitar and swashbuckler, I just think 3 ranger is useless?

unbongwah
09-13-2014, 01:40 PM
Right, but does that enhancement essentially make scimitars finessable weapons?
No, because it only applies DEX to dmg with scimitars; it's doesn't apply DEX to-hit like Tempest does.

Does Swashbuckling actually apply any crit bonuses to scimitars if you do so, though? Unless it provides the same +1 crit multiplier bonus that rapiers get, it's essentially meaningless.

cru121
09-13-2014, 02:28 PM
Does Swashbuckling actually apply any crit bonuses to scimitars if you do so, though? Unless it provides the same +1 crit multiplier bonus that rapiers get, it's essentially meaningless.

I've rolled a bard 4 / ranger 3 elf, vet 7.

Valenar Grace does not make scimitars swashbucklerable.

Tempest second core DOES make scimitars swashbucklerable.
* You don't get any bonuses to crit range/multiplier.
* You do get some +1 enhancement bonus from swashbuckling.
* You don't get Dex to Hit with light weapons (from Tempest) - that only applies when TWFing.

I guess eventually one could take all enhancements that requires swashbuckling, including Exploit Weakness, Thread the Needle, various Swashbuckling styles, Destruction, Resonant Arms, etc.

TL;DR: Probably not worth it.

unbongwah
09-13-2014, 03:00 PM
That's what I suspected. :( Thanks for testing that!

Wanker
09-14-2014, 10:06 AM
I've rolled a bard 4 / ranger 3 elf, vet 7.

Valenar Grace does not make scimitars swashbucklerable.

Tempest second core DOES make scimitars swashbucklerable.
* You don't get any bonuses to crit range/multiplier.
* You do get some +1 enhancement bonus from swashbuckling.
* You don't get Dex to Hit with light weapons (from Tempest) - that only applies when TWFing.

I guess eventually one could take all enhancements that requires swashbuckling, including Exploit Weakness, Thread the Needle, various Swashbuckling styles, Destruction, Resonant Arms, etc.

TL;DR: Probably not worth it.

Thanks for checking it out! Too bad; a scimitar version would be fun to play!

Humperdink
09-23-2014, 04:56 PM
Hey guys sorry I didn't get back to this thread. I should of posted more information. This was to test a flavor build idea. My bard used to be a khopesh TWF 16bard/2rog/2rgr. At some pointed I started amassing a nice selection of random scimitar loot like Pandemonium of Radiance, so I used those sometimes instead. One test build idea come U23 is a bard swashbuckler ranger rogue mutt of some sort running in Shadowdancer ED and using a scimitar of various kinds. I was aware the crit multiplier and range bonus part of swashbuckler did not apply. The rest of the benefits do. I have no idea if it's WAI, I was merely testing the current in-game mechanic. Hope that clears it up and sorry if there was confusion.