PDA

View Full Version : MAking seoarate keymapping sey ups for different characters?

yanaga132
09-12-2014, 10:50 AM
Every time I change my keymapping for my monk and his many moves/finishing moves, it also changes it for my other chars. I can't seem to find a keymapping setup that works for them all, and so I've come here for help.

How do I make each character's keymapping unique? Is there a way to "lock" the setting on a character, so that changing it on a different toon would not affect the "locked" one? Or am I just stuck with one setup for all my characters?

Amundir
09-12-2014, 10:57 AM
I believe saving your game layout also saves your keybindings. So change your keybindings for your monk and do something like
/ui layout save monk
For other players set it how you like it and
/ui layout save normal

Exchange "monk" and "normal" for whatever makes sense to you. Then all you have to do when you hop on your character to get the keybindings you want would be
/ui layout load monk
or
/ui layout load normal

sebastianosmith
09-12-2014, 11:25 AM
I believe saving your game layout also saves your keybindings.

Your belief is inaccurate insofar as the current game is concerned. Saving the UI layout only affects UI element placement and does not touch key bindings.

yanaga132,

There is no way in-game to accomplish what you want to do as keybindings are universal to the game client. The easiest way is make copies of your ddo.keymap file with the desired changes, such as "monk_ddo.keymap", and copy them back to the original before launching the game. You could get fancy and create a batch/PowerShell file to do this for you. You could also set up multiple OS accounts that would have different Document Folder paths for each key mapping, but that seems like overkill.

Xiadais
09-12-2014, 01:02 PM
Your belief is inaccurate insofar as the current game is concerned. Saving the UI layout only affects UI element placement and does not touch key bindings.

yanaga132,

There is no way in-game to accomplish what you want to do as keybindings are universal to the game client. The easiest way is make copies of your ddo.keymap file with the desired changes, such as "monk_ddo.keymap", and copy them back to the original before launching the game. You could get fancy and create a batch/PowerShell file to do this for you. You could also set up multiple OS accounts that would have different Document Folder paths for each key mapping, but that seems like overkill.

This. I don't know how to do the fancy stuff because I don't know anything about fancy stuff, but basically
1. Have a keybind for a character set up
2. Copy and paste it somewhere else (not cut)
3. Set up the keybind for the next character
4. Copy and paste *that* keybind somewhere else

5. Just copy and paste whichever one you need for the character you're planning on playing - before loading the game

I don't bother, though, because I'm not an altoholic and I generally only need to move bars around or change what I put on a specific bar in order to make it work for a different character.

yanaga132
09-12-2014, 01:29 PM
I believe saving your game layout also saves your keybindings. So change your keybindings for your monk and do something like
/ui layout save monk
For other players set it how you like it and
/ui layout save normal

Exchange "monk" and "normal" for whatever makes sense to you. Then all you have to do when you hop on your character to get the keybindings you want would be
/ui layout load monk
or
/ui layout load normal

Ah, that does remind me, I should save my ui layouts, as I've altered them quite a bit. Thanks, I had been forgetting for weeks!

yanaga132,

Ah, that keymap file method method would be what I'm looking for. I'll have to exit game every time I switch characters, but I do that on occasion already. Thanks for such an in depth response, with alternatives to boot! Though that last one would indeed be overkill, heh.

This. I don't know how to do the fancy stuff because I don't know anything about fancy stuff, but basically
1. Have a keybind for a character set up
2. Copy and paste it somewhere else (not cut)
3. Set up the keybind for the next character
4. Copy and paste *that* keybind somewhere else

5. Just copy and paste whichever one you need for the character you're planning on playing - before loading the game

I don't bother, though, because I'm not an altoholic and I generally only need to move bars around or change what I put on a specific bar in order to make it work for a different character.

Yeah, normally I do the same, as I don't normally have as many attack keys or mid combat actions to make, and all of the main keys can be covered by the basic 1-0 keymappings. I've only played rogues and fighters, so the only other thing I would put on extra bars other than action boosts and feats/skills are things like potions and clickies, which are easily used via mouse, and don't need a keybind.

The number of keys I need to be able to press with a monk was a bit too much for just that 1-0 key-mapping so I was experimenting with keymapping to see what works for me. Then this problem cropped up when I went back to my fighter, making me hesitant to continue. I could not find this in any guides or FAQs, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask for help.

Thanks for the quick responses guys, I've been holding off on playing my monk until I found a solution, so I appreciate the help!

sebastianosmith
09-12-2014, 02:33 PM
The number of keys I need to be able to press with a monk was a bit too much for just that 1-0 key-mapping so I was experimenting with keymapping to see what works for me. Then this problem cropped up when I went back to my fighter, making me hesitant to continue. I could not find this in any guides or FAQs, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask for help.

I'll tell you I did and you can see if the same thing will work for you. I set up hotbars 1-6 to work with metakeys. Bar 1 remains default, so 1-0 with no other modifications. Bars 2-6 I set up to use metakey+[num] - Bar2=Shift+[num], Bar3=Alt+[num], Bar4=Ctrl+[num], Bar5=WinKey+[num], Bar6=ModifierKey+[num]. I have the ModifierKey set to "Home" which is also mapped to side button on my mouse. From there it's a matter for grouping similar actions, weapons, moves, etc. to a particular hotbar. I have found that it's fairly easy to switch between classes and not totally forget where something is located using this scheme.

Hope this helps.

EllisDee37
09-12-2014, 05:29 PM
Every time I change my keymapping for my monk and his many moves/finishing moves, it also changes it for my other chars. I can't seem to find a keymapping setup that works for them all, and so I've come here for help.

How do I make each character's keymapping unique? Is there a way to "lock" the setting on a character, so that changing it on a different toon would not affect the "locked" one? Or am I just stuck with one setup for all my characters?My recommendation is to change your hotbars instead of your key bindings. But I may not understand fully. Could you give a specific example of one of your key bindings that changes between your monk and your other characters? (What the key is, what it points to for the monk, and what it points to for a different alt. "What it points to" would include both the ability and the hotbar #/location.)

PsychoBlonde
09-12-2014, 07:23 PM
If you don't mind spending a little money, I highly recommend getting an "MMO mouse". I have one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G600-Gaming-Mouse-Black/dp/B0086UK7IQ

It has 12 thumb buttons and an "alt" button that effectively makes that 24. You can also customize up to 3 different configurations for it. The thumb buttons all "act" like keyboard keys, so you can bind ANY keyboard key to ANY thumb button and use them ALL with ONE hand with no reaching. I only use one configuration simply because I have *24 buttons*. You can make more modifier keys if you need more buttons--the modifier key on my mouse is set to act like I'm hitting ctrl, then I use shift to make myself another 12 buttons. If you wanted, you could also use alt for this, but I think at that point you'd be running out of things to hit, and there's also a limit to how many things you can remember when you start getting that crazy.

yanaga132
09-12-2014, 07:52 PM
I'll tell you I did and you can see if the same thing will work for you. I set up hotbars 1-6 to work with metakeys. Bar 1 remains default, so 1-0 with no other modifications. Bars 2-6 I set up to use metakey+[num] - Bar2=Shift+[num], Bar3=Alt+[num], Bar4=Ctrl+[num], Bar5=WinKey+[num], Bar6=ModifierKey+[num]. I have the ModifierKey set to "Home" which is also mapped to side button on my mouse. From there it's a matter for grouping similar actions, weapons, moves, etc. to a particular hotbar. I have found that it's fairly easy to switch between classes and not totally forget where something is located using this scheme.

Hope this helps.

I sort of did that, as a few of the hotbar keys were using "metakeys". Due to the monk's finishers and the special attacks that lead up to them, there a a several keys that I would need to be able to press quickly and accurately without looking. And from the number keys 6 or 7 to 0, my large and unwieldy hands tends to press the wrong key occasionally, or two at once, so I thought of changing the hotbar number keys that were further away from wasd. I was experimenting with changing the hotkeys, while trying to avoid changing the default setup too much. The problem I found with "metakeys" is that many of the usual keys on the board usually used for that are already taken.

My recommendation is to change your hotbars instead of your key bindings. But I may not understand fully. Could you give a specific example of one of your key bindings that changes between your monk and your other characters? (What the key is, what it points to for the monk, and what it points to for a different alt. "What it points to" would include both the ability and the hotbar #/location.)

I didn't get much of a chance to test it out before I reset the setup on my fighter, so I'm not sure if it was what I'd end up using, but I'll recreate it, and write it down to post here when I do.

Xiadais
09-13-2014, 11:40 PM

Hope this helps.

It's also possible to do combination of metakeys. Example, CTRL+ALT+whatever.
It's also possible to use the NUMpad (like, the one you have to have NUM LOCK activated to use), and using that with metakeys. It's too bad only 10 bars can be mapped. One of my bars is CTRL+ALT+Numpad.