PDA

View Full Version : Server and class advice

Aranisus
09-07-2014, 03:54 PM
Hello. I've started to play on Cannith, I like game, but I have a feeling of... emptiness. I walked through Harbor and saw only a few people. Is it because it's low-level zone or server just doesn't have too many players?
If it's a second option, which one has the biggest playerbase?

Also, I've started to play as Cleric, but I will create later a dualsword fighter (TWF, isn't it?), yet I can't decide on race. I'm thinking about Drow or Dwarf for it. I would like to hear opinion about this idea (yes, weapons must be swords).

Thanks in advance for answers.

FranOhmsford
09-07-2014, 04:34 PM
1. Cannith is currently the highest pop. server {though Orien is catching up fast now it has the Default}.

2. What time of day are you mainly playing? {EST 6pm-2am are the best times to play if you want high pop.}.

3. DDO is now a Veteran heavy game where many players simply solo the lower level {pre Lvl 10} content.

4. As stated in #1 Cannith no longer has the Default so most newbies are starting on Orien meaning that yes Korthos and the Harbour are going to seem empty.
However: One of the best things you can do as a new player to this game is create a character on every server:
a) this allows you to make an informed choice of which server is best for you.
b) earning just 100 favour on each server will provide you with a handy amount of Turbine Points to get stuff from the DDOStore with.
c) You'll have the chance to test out multiple characters to see which you like playing best.

FranOhmsford
09-07-2014, 04:39 PM
As for your Dual-Sword Fighter:

1) Rangers get Two Wpn Fighting Feats free as they level up and The Tempest Prestige Enhancement Tree is the Two Wpn Style tree - Nothing stopping you from adding 2,4 or even 6 Fighter levels but Ranger is the way to go.

2) If you want Swords Dwarf would be a mistake as they're boosted weapon is Axes.

3) Elf with Scimitars or Human with B@st@rd Swords are both better min/max choices than Drow but if you really want the Drizz't Flavour by all means go for it.

Braegan
09-07-2014, 05:07 PM
Hello. I've started to play on Cannith, I like game, but I have a feeling of... emptiness. I walked through Harbor and saw only a few people. Is it because it's low-level zone or server just doesn't have too many players?

Also, I've started to play as Cleric, but I will create later a dualsword fighter (TWF, isn't it?), yet I can't decide on race. I'm thinking about Drow or Dwarf for it. I would like to hear opinion about this idea (yes, weapons must be swords).

Well welcome to the game and the forums!

As FranO said Cannith has a decent population among the servers. Low levels can be sparse on groups as many Vets tring solo content (to not ruin new folks experiences) and/or other quicker methods to jump levels such as xp stones, vet status I & II (which allow you to start out at level 4 & 7), iconic characters (which start out at level 15). That said, most times groups will still fill if you post an LFM. Sometimes you won't get a group to fill with a full six but shortmanning (grabbing 1st couple of folks and starting to quest) is very popular, sometimes this leads to more joiners as they see it's not an LFM of folks willing to wait forever for a perfect group before setting off.

While learning the game avoid LFMs like TRs Only, No Noobs, Zerging, etc. Those quests will zoom by at break neck speed and you won't get a chance to see/explore any of it. Look for/post LFMs that contain the likes of No Zerging, All Welcome, Exploring/Learning run, etc. When you join groups or fill them, don't be afraid to let folks know you are newer to the game, more often then not vets that happen in the group will provide some helpful advice and maybe even suggest a good guild for you to join.

On Class advice, be prepared to mess up your first few characters. I don't think I know anyone who hasn't made at least a few mistakes building characters their 1st few goes at it. Luckily most mistakes can be fixed and in some cases that involves TRing down the road which may lead to more powerful character. For specific build advice, I would suggest posting in the Class Sub-Forms (i.e. Cleric, Fighter, Ranger) and request some help, be sure to include as much detail as you can as far as what you want out of the character and what account options you have (28 pt, 32 pt, what Races, Classes you have unlocked, availability of tomes, etc). There are a lot of good builders that can whip up a solid character template for you or at least point you in the right direction. Note: Don't follow the Preset Paths set up in game, they are mostly terrible.

If you see me online you can always shoot me a /tell and I'd be happy to help if I can more. My cannith characters are: False, Braegan, Instigator, Silothien, & Troubadour.

Hope that helps!

Aranisus
09-08-2014, 03:24 AM
Thanks for answers.

@FranOhmsford
I'm playing mostly 6 - 9 p.m. GMT.

@Braegan
As I said, I have 5lvl, so far soloed on elite Korthos and northern part of Harbor. I had problem only on Butcher's Path.
I've just started so I have unlocked... nothing. Today I will buy 1, maybe 2, quest packs.

FranOhmsford
09-08-2014, 06:06 AM
Thanks for answers.

@FranOhmsford

That's a bit early for DDO's peak times - Cannith does have a large European population but it's spread out and Guilded - So daytime pugging is slow going.

@Braegan
As I said, I have 5lvl, so far soloed on elite Korthos and northern part of Harbor. I had problem only on Butcher's Path.
I've just started so I have unlocked... nothing. Today I will buy 1, maybe 2, quest packs.

Some packs are better choices than others:

Avoid: Sharn Syndicate, STK, Phiarlan Carnival, Catacombs and Delera's for the moment.

Concentrate on getting enough mid level content to get you to the high levels BUT Make certain you have the High level content too as very little past Lvl 12 is f2p.

In Level Order I'd suggest:

Necropolis 2 - 8-11 and Necropolis 4 - 13-17 {Necropolis Bundle if you can afford it}
Vault of Night 8-12 and 20+
Sands of Menechtarun 9-14 and 20+
Gianthold 11-16 and 24+
Vale of Twilight 15-18
Inspired Quarter 16-20
Menace of the Underdark Expansion. 20+

Most people will tell you to get the big high level packs first but I'll leave the order up to you.

stoerm
09-08-2014, 08:27 AM
Avoid: Sharn Syndicate, STK, Phiarlan Carnival, Catacombs and Delera's for the moment.

I love Delera's.

unbongwah
09-08-2014, 08:37 AM
I agree with Fran that rgr is a better choice than ftr for a first-time TWF build, in part because you get all your TWF and ranged feats free. See my Elven Ranger thread for a couple of pure builds; and EllisDee's Tempest Trapmonkey (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/423116-Tempest-Trapmonkey-for-new-players) for a lightly MCed build.

Braegan
09-08-2014, 09:07 AM
Thanks for answers.

@Braegan

I would hold off on buying packs. There is plenty of FTP content in the early levels for a first life character to easily get to level 10-12. That will give you some time to get used to the game, grouping, get a feel for how different characters might play, acquire some TP along the way, etc.

FranOhmsford
09-08-2014, 09:43 AM
I love Delera's.

I was trying to keep the advice objective and advising a newbie to put his first points towards Delera's is in my opinion VERY bad advice!

There's plenty of content from Lvl 1-8 for F2Ps and with Necropolis and 3BC receiving recent upgrades Delera's is way down the list!

DakFrost
09-08-2014, 09:58 AM

You'll hear a lot of excuses about low server population (time of day/weather related/seasonal/holidays/etc...), but that fact is DDO doesn't really have a high population server. Sadly, Cannith is probably your best bet as it is/was the default server for new players.

Vulkoorex
09-08-2014, 10:44 AM
Thanks for answers.

@FranOhmsford

@Braegan

Are you planning on buying the expansions from DDO Market? Some quest pack are included in the bundles. I'm waiting for Cyber Monday to see if there's a better deal than what's offered now (still a good deal).

I like Delera's for the xp trinket. The extra 5% helps and stacks with guild xp bonus too.

Get in a guild if you can. The buffs will make the quest easier.

Seikojin
09-08-2014, 12:03 PM
Thanks for answers.

@FranOhmsford

@Braegan

With your play time, you may want to check Sarlona. I typically see the longest list of LFM's and who results during those times.

Aranisus
09-08-2014, 12:46 PM
I agree with Fran that rgr is a better choice than ftr for a first-time TWF build, in part because you get all your TWF and ranged feats free. See my Elven Ranger thread for a couple of pure builds; and EllisDee's Tempest Trapmonkey (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/423116-Tempest-Trapmonkey-for-new-players) for a lightly MCed build.
So far I will stick with leveling Cleric. In short future I will for sure create another chars, but that comes later.

Are you planning on buying the expansions from DDO Market? Some quest pack are included in the bundles. I'm waiting for Cyber Monday to see if there's a better deal than what's offered now (still a good deal).
Well, sooner or later I would need to buy them anyway. I've read that during Black Friday/Cyber Monday expansions are at least -50% off, so... maybe I will wait, maybe when I reach level for them. We will see.

With your play time, you may want to check Sarlona. I typically see the longest list of LFM's and who results during those times.
Ok, thanks for advice, I will surely check it.

EllisDee37
09-08-2014, 03:04 PM
So far I will stick with leveling Cleric. In short future I will for sure create another chars, but that comes later.There's a new player cleric build linked in my signature (necro cleric), which you might take a look at for ideas. (All the builds in my signature are new player friendly.)

Aranisus
09-08-2014, 03:17 PM
There's a new player cleric build linked in my signature (necro cleric), which you might take a look at for ideas. (All the builds in my signature are new player friendly.)
I've read already many Cleric guides on forums (yours too) and I understand a general idea of character, but I prefer to play in my way. I know that sooner or later I will regret it, but... it's just my playstyle. It's fun for me to create build by my own.

EllisDee37
09-08-2014, 03:35 PM
I've read already many Cleric guides on forums (yours too) and I understand a general idea of character, but I prefer to play in my way. I know that sooner or later I will regret it, but... it's just my playstyle. It's fun for me to create build by my own.Agreed 100%.

I just meant like if you end up trying to decide between two feats or something, other build threads could serve as a tiebreaker.

Manatha
09-09-2014, 09:41 PM

If you don't have 32pt build yet, the drow can be a good choice - lower con but generally it can make up for it (your dex can be maxed at 20 starting I believe)

Their racial weapon is rapier or short sword.

Human can be a very good choice for the extra feat (though as a warrior you will get a ton of feats, so not sure how this will figure in for you) I don't recall if they have the added weapon bonuses - but I do know they get the heal amp enhancements if you decide to go with them.