PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Some Advice from the Masters

Thoden
09-05-2014, 02:52 AM
I've been playing my pure arti in the style of Dubbell. I'm looking at the great stuff for melees (SWF etc.) and reading the doom about ranged artis and wondering if I shouldn't take the plunge (but only experience with melee is my dwarf bard). Here's what I am working with:

I have maxed all EDs except Divine Crusader.

3 Monk PLs
3 Ranger PLs
3 Druid PLs (tried the ooze repeater/uber dog thing but it has been kind of lame in EE)

For weapons I have:

1 Needle
1 Pinion
2 Nightmares
1 Sireth
1 Mornh

I used my LR +20 a long time ago, still have a lesser heart, but don't mind buying one or two more +3 or +5 (this is my main). Are dual Nightmares viable, or am I better off SWF Nightmare with a rune arm, or using Sireth and Pinion? I think the crossbow might be mothballed for a bit. Any thoughts? I don't want to commit to the LRs to find I wasted them later on.

Livmo
09-05-2014, 03:45 AM
I've been playing my pure arti in the style of Dubbell. I'm looking at the great stuff for melees (SWF etc.) and reading the doom about ranged artis and wondering if I shouldn't take the plunge (but only experience with melee is my dwarf bard). Here's what I am working with:

I have maxed all EDs except Divine Crusader.

3 Monk PLs
3 Ranger PLs
3 Druid PLs (tried the ooze repeater/uber dog thing but it has been kind of lame in EE)

For weapons I have:

1 Needle
1 Pinion
2 Nightmares
1 Sireth
1 Mornh

I used my LR +20 a long time ago, still have a lesser heart, but don't mind buying one or two more +3 or +5 (this is my main). Are dual Nightmares viable, or am I better off SWF Nightmare with a rune arm, or using Sireth and Pinion? I think the crossbow might be mothballed for a bit. Any thoughts? I don't want to commit to the LRs to find I wasted them later on.

You have allot of options, don't be afraid to make changes with Fred or change around Enhancements, EDs and twists. I swap stuff around all the time based on my mood or what I feel like running. Save your hearts and spend some of the wealth you've accumulated to reset Ehnacements and EDs or change feats. It's OK to try new things. Don't forget about augments too.

For example, why not use use the Needle (Ruby of Endless Night or Deconstructor) with Endless Fuselodge while Manyshot/Pinion (Ruby of Crushing Wave) is on cool down? Hot bars baby! When you get bored with that switch up and go for wielding duel Nigthmares (the blender). I even roll with a Dreamsplitter at times just for fun. I like to SWF with Chimera's Breath rune arm since it grants the feat for bastard sword prof. with a Nigthmare (Deconstructor or Crushing Wave) to save a feat. However, I sometimes swap feats and take the bastard sword feat prof.so I can use differnt rune arms with the Nigthmare. Likewise, at high enough level you can use the necklace of Mystic Eidolons which grants the feat of Augmented Summoning, so you can swap the feat out and use something else if the is your main necklace and you like to use the dog. I have several sets of gear at various levels and lined stuff up to mix and match my figthing style or goals easily.

My basic point being you have some nice weapons and passive past life feats to have fun with. Why not enjoy all of them? I try not to get stuck ona particular build. I have a notebook that I jot down what I liked or what worked well. If you don't like a particular set-up, change it.

I would not give up on ranged or caster arty and you can still do melee. I tend to make arties able to do all 3 and I've done it with a half-orc : ) ) I don't spend skill points on Spot however in case.

I also use a vareity of quests at differnt levels to test my arrangements and dial things in.

I see lots of red squggles. Sleep deprviedis worse thatn drunk :)) but thats because Ive been up playing this silly game too much, again. Main point is to keep it fun and if you don't like how somting tunred out, change it and try something else. Don't be afraid to try new things.

Thoden
09-05-2014, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the reply! It's not that I'm afraid to make any changes, but respeccing as a strength build is a bit different (thinking heart of wood +0). I suppose a Juggish build is in order then... maybe add the melee levels later? Obviously I have a lot of time invested in the build, but I want to be able to contribute meaningfully to a group. What sort of stats did you run with your horc?

Livmo
09-05-2014, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the reply! It's not that I'm afraid to make any changes, but respeccing as a strength build is a bit different (thinking heart of wood +0). I suppose a Juggish build is in order then... maybe add the melee levels later? Obviously I have a lot of time invested in the build, but I want to be able to contribute meaningfully to a group. What sort of stats did you run with your horc?

I still maxed INT, but I went Harty™ for extra strength (started at 16 DEX for ranged). I still use a repeater and rune arm, but I get smashy with the great ax. Don't take the glancing blows stuff, just the PA, Cleave, Greater Cleave, and Slicing Blow. I play the hot keys like bard plays a musical instrument. To help castability I have several sets of armor on a hot bar and use the blue dragon scale to hjelp my spells. You can use gear, augments, and cleverness to fill gaps. I put 0 skill points into Spot. I can still trap well with just search, open lock, and disable device. I did not multiclass and am pure Harty™ and the toon super fun to play! I use the dog allot as well and I kept from choosing his encahmcents that would lend to an alignment so I could use any handwrap to make a collar without the hassle of alignment issues (i.e. I turned a pair of Grave Wrappings into dog collar and using them right now).

You can tweak the jugger build and make a blender with those Nigthmares, but you may want to go WF/BF instead of human taking Construct Essence. For a fun experiment you could start a PDK at level 15 and take 2 levels of fighter and rest arty if you want try some fun with great axes and great swords, 2 Nigtthmares is fun too. I used my Raider's box to get a second Nightmare.

Here is an old link with some old screenies of my main Harty™

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/442096-Possible-Ranged-Artifcer-Build-for-Half-Orcs?highlight=Korg