PDA

View Full Version : 11 rogue/5 bard/4 fighter swashbuckler. dex or str?

zichant
09-04-2014, 01:27 PM
I am making a 11 rog/5 bard/4 fighter swashbuckler with SWF.

I don't want to be terribly limited in what weapon I can use. Would you recommend going strength or dexterity based? I'd ideally like to be able to use a khopesh, so this is drawing me to STR, but I'm still unsure.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Grailhawk
09-04-2014, 01:34 PM
Khopesh doesn't mix with swashbuckling.

For the level spilt your showing it probably doesn't matter you don't have power surge or divine might do str isn't clearly 100% better. Though do to rage it does have a higher potential on your spilt.

zichant
09-04-2014, 01:38 PM
Khopesh doesn't mix with swashbuckling.

For the level spilt your showing it probably doesn't matter you don't have power surge or divine might do str isn't clearly 100% better. Though do to rage it does have a higher potential on your spilt.

Thanks for the reply. I see now that I don't get the nice benefits from SB with a khopesh.. boo :(

Enoach
09-04-2014, 01:44 PM
Swashbuckling requires wielding a Finesseable or Thrown weapon in your main hand, wielding a Buckler or nothing in your off hand, and wearing Light Armor or no armor. (Druids cannot Swashbuckle while in animal forms.) http://ddowiki.com/page/Swashbuckler_enhancements

So in theory if you want to benefit from Swashbuckling you will be limited in your weapon choices

This might help make the decision between DEX or STR based.

Chimeran1
09-05-2014, 12:04 AM
If you want big dps, go strength and use LD epic destiny.

I you are not going strength you miss out on improved power critical which is a must have for dps.
Power attack allows the full use of cleaves in Legendary Dreadnaught.

Non strength bards normally run in precision stance for the +5 damage, but a strength build using power attack can easily out dps a precision bard.

Example:
Crusader epic destiny ( bards who don't use power attack ) ~ biggest crit I got was 640 damage normal crit @lvl 28 as a Charisma to damage build.
Legendary Dreadnaught with Bladeforged strength build and improved power attack, biggest crit was 760-840 normal crit @ lvl 20 ! That's not even Blitz'ed !!! :)

@lvl 23 Blitz'ing is 7600 sneak attack damage with Balizarde and Planar Prowess

6 fighter levels gets you Stalwart defender + 6 strength

* go pierce weapon :) Light picks are x4 crit :)
Use green steel light pick till 23, at 23 use CiTW rapier, 28 use Thunder forged light pick.

Just depends on your play style, if you want big dps as a melee LD is the way to go, so build for that.
I currently have only FvS and bard past lives, but imagine crits with 3 past lives of monk :) can't wait ....

Chimeran1
09-05-2014, 01:29 AM
Thanks for the reply. I see now that I don't get the nice benefits from SB with a khopesh.. boo :(

Thunder forged light pick
Epic cove buckler
Take 6 levels of fighter for stalwart defender + 6 strength and extra feats.
Buckler far outweighs any of the other swash styles for dps.
With the epic cove buckler, you can stun lock mobs

IMHO and I have run many swashbuckler bard builds, take 6 fighter minimum.
At the moment, with stalwart working with bucklers, +6 strength, +3 to saves, + 15 PRR, + 10 % dodge it is a no brainer.
Then with shield mastery and improved shield mastery for the double strike.
Any bard wanting dps would be unwise to not do buckler.

Twist in
Legendary shield mastery ( tier 2 unyielding sentinel )
Sense weakness ( tier 4 wild fury )
and you have a top tier melee killing machine, probably one of the best.

When you run a full group on EE devils assault and you come out with 144 kills and the next highest in group is 33.... You know you have it pretty well sorted.

Chai
09-05-2014, 01:39 PM
Int - after Harper is implemented.