PDA

View Full Version : Fix for General Scroll Usage.

Certon
09-03-2014, 05:09 PM
Scrolls shouldn't need to be equipped to be used. They should be usable from inventory just like potions.

To compensate for this convenience, the scroll user would have an animation of unfurling the scroll and reading it, and weapon and shield graphics would disappear during the animation. The whole process could be keyed to take 1.5 seconds or so, and the scroll user should be able to turn freely, but movement during this time would be reduced to a crawl.

This solves item swapping problems, and also allows scroll users to apply weapon effects to two handed weapons.

Gizeh
09-03-2014, 06:14 PM
Totally unrelated question: Have you by any chance recently acquired a stave of the seer (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Stave_of_the_Seer)? ;)

LuKaSu
09-03-2014, 09:01 PM
Totally unrelated question: Have you by any chance recently acquired a stave of the seer (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Stave_of_the_Seer)? ;)

I'm thinking he's either wishing he could Master's touch a greatsword using umd or put artificer weapon imbues on two one-handed weapons or a big two-hander.

droid327
09-03-2014, 10:59 PM
put artificer weapon imbues on two one-handed weapons or a big two-hander.

Or a bow. Just imagine if ever Furyshotter could also scroll DW on themselves :)

Also, jumping negates animation slowing effects....so you could jump and Heal Scroll midair, midcombat, without swapping weapons out...

Scrabbler
09-03-2014, 11:34 PM
In the past I've recommended either enhancements or special magic items to let you cast some scrolls without unequipping your weapons. Some enhancement trees could really use that kind of thing... scrolls used that way might have longer cooldowns or other penalties.

One thing to think about is the realism angle: it just feels fake that someone can drink a whole bottle of liquid without putting down either of two heavy picks, yet scrolls don't get that amazing handy convenience.

Tscheuss
09-03-2014, 11:54 PM
In the past I've recommended either enhancements or special magic items to let you cast some scrolls without unequipping your weapons. Some enhancement trees could really use that kind of thing... scrolls used that way might have longer cooldowns or other penalties.

One thing to think about is the realism angle: it just feels fake that someone can drink a whole bottle of liquid without putting down either of two heavy picks, yet scrolls don't get that amazing handy convenience.

small bottles, maybe sipping with a straw? Maybe like downing a One Hour Energy with a shovel in one hand and a rake in the other? :)

Certon
09-04-2014, 10:16 AM
No stave problems or two handed problems here, though in the past, I have had issue with not being able to scroll master's touch on a two handed weapon. It's what got me thinking about this in the first place. :P

Everyone's ribbing and humor aside, would there be a big downside to this? It'd still simulate the holding of scrolls with your hand. It'd just fix a logistics problem for scrolls in general.

droid327
09-04-2014, 01:53 PM
I wasn't joking. Giving artificer buffs to anyone with umd greatly devalues the class itself. Unique arti spells help set them apart from rogue mechs and/or wizards. It'd be like having a umd locked short sword that granted any wielder the shadow veil enhancement, it's arti-in-a-jar.