PDA

View Full Version : Character Planner - Announcement

Ron
09-01-2014, 03:15 PM
Hey all,

I have an announcement of some import regarding the planner. After some eight years developing and maintaining the program, I have decided to step down as the lead designer on the project. Mainly this is due to time constraints and my desire to move on to other projects. Dragon and I have discussed this, and he will be taking over in the lead capacity. I hope you all will give him the same support (and bug reports!) that you've given to me all these years. Of course, he has been intimately involved in the planner for many years now, and has been integral in the design and coding of the new 5.xx version from the ground up. I leave the planner in his very capable hands.

That is not to say I'm leaving the team altogether. On the contrary, I will continue to be involved heavily with the coding and design of the program (I worked on it just this morning). Don't worry, I will still be around. However, from this point forward, Dragon will be making final decisions and scheduling releases and all that.

It has been both an honor and a privilege to have worked with you all as the lead programmer of the character planner, and I look forward to continuing on in my new role. If you have any questions or concerns, let us know.

Linchu
09-01-2014, 03:32 PM
A very big thank you for all the time and work you've put into both the planner and leading the team. It's an invaluable resource. Good to know you'll still be working on it.

dunklezhan
09-01-2014, 03:36 PM
Its time there was a new forum title. Legendary founder I think would not be unjustified.

Thayion516
09-01-2014, 03:54 PM
Thank you Ron for the tremendous work you have done for the DDO community. Let's message Cordovan with the Legendary Founder suggestion. I agree.

mikarddo
09-01-2014, 05:11 PM
Its time there was a new forum title. Legendary founder I think would not be unjustified.

I very much agree.

UurlockYgmeov
09-01-2014, 05:18 PM
I very much agree.

agree.

Thank you Ron for all your dedication and hard work. Your (and the teams) hard work affects the entire DDO community on a daily basis in a good and positive way!

whereispowderedsilve
09-01-2014, 05:34 PM
Oh wow/snap! -- Sorry to hear that Ron, but I respect your decision!

Thanks again for everything and your contributions! Super awesome!!!!

/wipes tears from his eyes. Keep up the great work! :P! :)! :D!

Cordovan
09-02-2014, 02:36 PM
Thank you, Ron, for all of the work you've done on the Planner over the years! Sounds like the Planner's remaining in good hands.

whereispowderedsilve
09-02-2014, 03:23 PM
Thank you, Ron, for all of the work you've done on the Planner over the years! Sounds like the Planner's remaining in good hands.

Good work on the title change for him! +1! :P! :)! :D! Thanks!

droid327
09-02-2014, 04:02 PM

It's a nice start...I say the next Fatespinner (Anauroch?) should be named Rahn. Seems appropriate since you spend your points and build your character there :)

Missing_Minds
09-02-2014, 04:17 PM
Thank you for your effort, time, and sacrifices for the program Ron.

At a bare minimum, you can always add this program and the work you did to support it to your resume.

Seikojin
09-02-2014, 04:28 PM
Wow! Thank You Ron for your dedication and expertise in generating one of the most used utilities for DDO. I can't wait for version 5 and I know dragon will keep up the good work!

Sebastrd
09-02-2014, 04:33 PM
Thank you, Ron!

Failedlegend
09-02-2014, 04:51 PM
Dang I saw this in the dev tracker and though "OMG did Turbine hire Ron & Co. or something!!!" than I read this, sad for sure but I'm glad your not entirely leaving Ron and I'm sure Dragon.Star will do just fine :D

Ganak
09-02-2014, 05:13 PM
Ron you are indeed a Legendary Founder of DDO.

Having relied on your tool for about as long as you've put it out, I immensely thank you.

Best of luck!!!

PNellesen
09-02-2014, 05:44 PM
Thanks so much for all the time and effort you put into the planner. It has been invaluable to me in my time in DDO. It will be a shame if Turbine doesn't give some kind of official recognition as well - you've earned it.

Ron
09-02-2014, 06:03 PM
Awww, thanks everyone. You're good wishes are much appreciated. And THANKS Cordon for the new title. I will wear it with pride :)

Everyone wish Dragon good luck in his new role. He'll do well with the job, I have no doubt.

KainLionheart
09-02-2014, 06:37 PM
Your Planner has been as much a part of DDO as the game itself, for myself and I'm sure many others. Thank you so much for your hard work. I am glad to read you will be staying with the project.

Good luck Dragon. :D

peng
09-02-2014, 06:45 PM
Thank you ron, dragon, and the entire planner team for all the work you've put into this project. It has been, and I'm sure will continue to be, very much appreciated.

Good luck dragon and ron in your new roles.

Uska
09-02-2014, 07:58 PM
Even though I only used it once or twice thank you for all your hard work

Dalnarac
09-02-2014, 08:39 PM
Your planner rocks and I can not believe how attentive you are to it and to its forums. I am happy you are sticking with it even if you are no longer managing it. I do not tr or create a new character without it! I can't wait for the next one with the pally updates! I will reincarnate only after I get to use the updated Character Planner. <Looks at Dragon impatiently> Dragon, good luck on the new roll. I know you don't need it. You are about as addicted to the planner as Ron. Cordovan, Major Respect!

geoffhanna
09-02-2014, 09:16 PM
Thank you Ron, for every one of the many, many hours you put into the planner. I use it, love it, and appreciate it. Much.

Good luck Dragon, you have big shoes to fill.

/respect

Stoner81
09-02-2014, 11:23 PM
Sorry to see you go Ron your planner has helped immensely in my time playing DDO, all the best for the future and really glad to see you are sticking around and stuff :)

As for your Dragon.Star... dude you got some big ol' shoes to fill and I know that you will do us the community/players and Ron proud in your new leading role going forward! I am really excited to see the new version and what the future brings for the project.

My greatest respects to you both and of course the whole team who work on the planner :)

I do have a question though for you guys... where will the planner be hosted now? Will you still be doing it Ron or will it be elsewhere?

Stoner81.

Alistina
09-02-2014, 11:55 PM
Aww sorry to see you go, but still good to know you'll be around :)

Wish good luck to Dragon, I'm sure you'll do great work carrying on the legacy!

Thank you so very much for all the endless hours & hard work you have put into developing the planner. I honestly can't imagine playing DDO without it!! Wish you the best of luck for your future endeavors :)

Andoris
09-03-2014, 12:38 AM
Hey all,

I have an announcement of some import regarding the planner. After some eight years developing and maintaining the program, I have decided to step down as the lead designer on the project. Mainly this is due to time constraints and my desire to move on to other projects. Dragon and I have discussed this, and he will be taking over in the lead capacity. I hope you all will give him the same support (and bug reports!) that you've given to me all these years. Of course, he has been intimately involved in the planner for many years now, and has been integral in the design and coding of the new 5.xx version from the ground up. I leave the planner in his very capable hands.

That is not to say I'm leaving the team altogether. On the contrary, I will continue to be involved heavily with the coding and design of the program (I worked on it just this morning). Don't worry, I will still be around. However, from this point forward, Dragon will be making final decisions and scheduling releases and all that.

It has been both an honor and a privilege to have worked with you all as the lead programmer of the character planner, and I look forward to continuing on in my new role. If you have any questions or concerns, let us know.

Ron,

Thank you for the inspiration and dedication needed to create and continue the planner project. Personally, the planner was instrumental in helping me learn the game and its complex systems -- Thank you!

Dragon,

Best wishes as you drive this project to the next level. The plans the team has for the next version of the planner are amazing and ambitious -- as always if you need anything, we are here to help.

My deepest thanks to both of you, for taking this important effort on and providing an invaluable resource to the players.. both vets and newbies!

Thumbed_Servant
09-03-2014, 01:23 AM
Cheers. I use the planner and greatly appreciate the work you all put into it. Thank you for what you've done and will continue to do.

Alisonique
09-03-2014, 02:15 AM
Thanks for all the effort you have put in over the years Ron. It is appreciated, and your contribution to this game has been immense(especially to this altoholic!).

Good Luck Dragon:)

alvarego
09-03-2014, 04:02 AM
Awww, thanks everyone. You're good wishes are much appreciated. And THANKS Cordon for the new title. I will wear it with pride :)

Everyone wish Dragon good luck in his new role. He'll do well with the job, I have no doubt.

Thanks to you for your outstanding work with the planner, is really awesome and I keep scheduled a visit each week eagerly waiting for the next update :D

Best wishes for Dragon, keep up the good work man

Kalevor
09-03-2014, 04:19 AM
TYVM Ron and good luck Dragon!

Keep the good work doing both of u! :)

Big Fan!

silinteresting
09-03-2014, 05:15 AM
wow thankyou for everything.

good luck dragon may the coding gods smile upon thee.

your friend sil :)

Chaimberland
09-03-2014, 09:16 AM
Thank you Ron for your and your team's hard work. The planner has become a tool I use whenever I plan a build. Can't wait for the new one to come out and best of luck to Dragon. I'm sure he'll do a great job.

Dawnsfire
09-03-2014, 10:18 AM
The Planner has saved me oodles of frustration and trouble over the years. Thanks for the all the hard work. Since Dragon and the crew has been at it almost forever, I am sure they are up to the task!

Psiandron
09-03-2014, 11:45 AM
Gratz on the new title there Ron and many thanks for all the hard work you've put in over the years. While I'm sure that Dragon will do great (will just continue to do great really) and you'll still have his back I'm sure, always good to note that the planner exists because of you and all your work and this is a better game because of you.

Memnir
09-03-2014, 12:03 PM
From the bottom of this DDO Fan's heart... Thank you, Ron. :)

Braegan
09-03-2014, 12:20 PM
Thank you Ron for all your hard work!

schelsullivan
09-03-2014, 12:40 PM
Thanks for all your hard work. DDO character building can be quite a daunting task. You efforts have made it much easier and more enjoyable! Much luck in your future endeavors!

DagazUlf
09-03-2014, 01:01 PM
Thanks Ron! The planner has been, and will continue to be, a great tool used and enjoyed by many.

cdbd3rd
09-03-2014, 05:26 PM
Dang I saw this in the dev tracker and though "OMG did Turbine hire Ron & Co. or something!!!" ...

That was exactly my first thought as well, but quickly realized that at this
point I don't think WB/Turbine could afford him! :p

*Throws more /kudos on Ron's overwhelming stockpile.* :D

ThomasHunter
09-03-2014, 06:36 PM
Thank you to Ron for spearheading this for so long!

Thank you to Dragon for taking on the mantle!

I can honestly say that the planner is a big reason why DDO is such a draw to me. I can take the planner and mess around with it at lunch while at work. I work up characters all the time. Shoot, I have 29 toons now! I love the planner and can hardly wait for the new version!

You guys all rock!!!!

crazycaren
09-03-2014, 09:57 PM
Thanks for all your time and dedication!

Bolo_Grubb
09-04-2014, 08:41 AM
Thank you Ron. It is always nice to be informed. Thank you for all the work you have done and your continued involvement in the character planner.

Thank you Dragonstar for taking over as lead. Can't wait for the next version :)

MeliCat
09-04-2014, 01:08 PM
Ron thank you so so much for all you have done on this planner. It's been such a valuable tool for so many of us here.

Purkilius
09-05-2014, 04:00 AM
Ty Ron, gl Dragon :)

Oxarhamar
09-05-2014, 06:40 PM
To many more successful projects.

Arnhelm
09-06-2014, 09:53 AM
Words cannot convey how much this planner meant to me during my time in DDO. With much gratitude, I wish you all the best your life can manage.

Best of luck, Dragon, and thank you for taking on this responsibility.

katz
09-09-2014, 09:05 AM
my many characters would be hopeless messes without the character planner. thanks so much, Ron. <3

neologia
09-09-2014, 05:47 PM
Thank you for your wonderful work and quite a few lost nights of sleep while tinkering with the Editor.
Good Luck on your future endeavours!