PDA

View Full Version : Fix the Manual of Stealthy Pilfering

Douglas21
08-31-2014, 10:02 PM
More specifically, give it search +20. This seems like an absurd oversight to me, that the ultimate rogue skills item is missing the single most important skill for a rogue to have.

Shade_z
08-31-2014, 10:12 PM
They could have done that, but then you would only have to grind for 1 itme and then you would get bored of the game and just leave.

Douglas21
09-07-2014, 03:41 PM
So, what, rogues magically don't need items for combat like every other character type in the game?

The Manual's explicitly stated purpose is, in essence, "the rogue skills item". That purpose is not properly fulfilled without search, and it seems bizarre that it has spot instead, which is far less important to its stated purpose.

SirValentine
09-08-2014, 04:10 AM
There's at least 4 other +20 Search items in the game already, including at least 2 in gear slots that don't conflict with the Manual.

blerkington
09-08-2014, 04:26 AM
Hi,

The upgraded version has a slot which will take a +15 search augment from the store.

It's not an ideal solution, but it might be better than slotting another item with search on it instead.

Thanks.

Miow
09-08-2014, 07:40 AM
Don't be silly the only thing broken on it is how good it already is. Do you want everything served on the same silver platter? So many options available for search.

JOTMON
09-08-2014, 08:16 AM
More specifically, give it search +20. This seems like an absurd oversight to me, that the ultimate rogue skills item is missing the single most important skill for a rogue to have.

Its not broken, there are already many good effects on this item.
This item is already better than most endgame Raid items
What is absurd is complaining about a great easy to get item that has many complimentary effects and a green augment slot.

Manual of Stealthy Pilfering :
Good Luck +3 - Luck bonus to all saves and skill checks. (1 of 2 item to date that has +3 luck..and this is way better than Idol of fortune)
Spot +20
Disable Device +20
Open Lock +20
Dexterity Skills - Exceptional Bonus +6 stacks and replaces greensteel
Intelligence Skills - - Exceptional Bonus +6 stacks and replaces greensteel
Use Magical Device +5
Green Augment Slot

While it would have been nice to have everything in one small package.. farming it out of a easy run quest would not be my idea of how to get one of the best items in the game. This item is already better than many higher level Raid items and can be farmed on casual.

Search +20 can be obtained on other items.. such as...
http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Epic_Goggles_of_Time-Sensing
http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Bracers_of_Twisting_Shade_(Level_25)
other a multitude of random generated items..

Stoner81
09-08-2014, 08:53 AM
Hi,

The upgraded version has a slot which will take a +15 search augment from the store.

It's not an ideal solution, but it might be better than slotting another item with search on it instead.

Thanks.

I can't believe I didn't think of that myself for my own Rogue *facepalm* thanks!

Stoner81.

Douglas21
09-09-2014, 12:02 AM
I am not complaining that it's not good enough, I'm complaining that it's missing a critical component of its concept. Right there in the description, "this is a guide to expertise at thievery". The skills that are critical to thievery are open lock, disable device, and search. Spot is at best an incidental backup skill, so giving it spot but not search breaks with the concept for no good reason.

As for power, I agree this is a quite powerful item even as is, but every rogue skill can in principle be on a swap item that you equip for a set of traps and then swap back out again. Consolidating all of them on one item is a convenience, not truly a power increase, and every single bonus it gives (plus search) except the Good Luck +3 can be gotten as early as level 20 from a set of swap items.

blerkington
09-09-2014, 01:26 AM
I can't believe I didn't think of that myself for my own Rogue *facepalm* thanks!

Stoner81.

Hi,

You're welcome. It took me a while to figure it out too, but it's working well for my wizard/rogue. His high INT means he doesn't really miss those extra five points you'd get from a +20 item.

Thanks.

Daitengu
09-09-2014, 02:53 AM
I am not complaining that it's not good enough, I'm complaining that it's missing a critical component of its concept. Right there in the description, "this is a guide to expertise at thievery". The skills that are critical to thievery are open lock, disable device, and search. Spot is at best an incidental backup skill.Err no, Spot is very important for a rogue in actual rpgs. You can just get along without it because you already know where traps are.

Douglas21
09-09-2014, 11:08 AM
Err no, Spot is very important for a rogue in actual rpgs. You can just get along without it because you already know where traps are.
That would be relevant if this were an item in those "actual rpgs". It is not. Even in them, you can get by without spot by the simple expedient of searching everywhere. Having spot does not allow you to get by without search, regardless of ddo vs tabletop rpg.