PDA

View Full Version : Melee Caster Advice

DDOcam
08-30-2014, 11:44 PM
I really want to make a melee caster. Not sure how to go about it. I want to cast spells to nuke or cc (not just buffs) and be able to melee mainly to just conserve mana. Just looking for some general advice and feedback. I would really like to make some sort of eldritch knight. I was thinking maybe some sort of (Wizard/Monk) would prefer some sort of Sorcerer hybrid but feel like that just won't work. Not looking for builds to copy. Just a general class levels, maybe starting stats, and some must have feats. The way the game works I am not sure it is possible to be a good spell caster and decent melee (because of how DC checks work and caster levels). Hopefully you guys have some tips.

JamesNiels
08-31-2014, 12:11 AM
Consider this: where to get ur spellpower from. Spellpower only comes in the form of random lootgen weapons and named items (mostly weapons but also other various gear) the best option is probably rubies of spellpower. Ur gonna want to self heal, especially if u want to melee. This means either devotion, reconstruction or negative spellpower is needed. This afaik is only available on the ring of master artifice, which is not extremely potent at epic levels. There are other heroic itens that give these essential boosts to self healing but not at epics. (Shamanic fetish comes to mind)

Basicly ur already gimping ur weapon effects with the need of spellpower or vice versa. TF for example relies on tier 1 for most dps (touch of flames) or spellpower 150... i would say this is a bad concept to make a build on, with all respect. Good luck however in finding a nice build :)

Jingwei
08-31-2014, 01:37 AM
It might be possible to do this as a Bard 20 build, something like:

Human
feats: single weapon fighting, improved single weapon fighting, greater single weapon fighting, power attack, spell focus: enchantment, greater spell focus: enchantment, quicken spell, empower healing

You'd take the spellsinger capstone and splash pretty deep into the swashbuckler tree. In theory, that should give you some effective crowd control and marginally effective melee power. Of course, it will really depend on which epic destiny you are running around in.

It would be possible to make a more melee oriented bard, but think you'd lose the DCs needed for crowd control without a very heavy investment into spell singer.

Lonnbeimnech
08-31-2014, 01:45 AM
Sorc would work if you either were a purple dragon knight, so you could have charisma to damage with swords, or you could make a sorc and splash one level of favored soul for divine might. So you would max cha but still have a good str score.

janave
08-31-2014, 01:53 AM
Also possible with a pure Druid,

If you prefer arcane flavor, you can go Warforged EK.

If you prefer an even more flavor build, you may consider some Artificer splashed EK, Human or Elf THF. My preferred split would be 3Art/12EK + 6 either Fighter or Paladin levels +1 into arti or wizard, your preference. For soloing, i would take as many cleaves as i can fit in while having access to Quicken, Maximize, Empower, Extend.

With pally levels and or human, you can offset construct essence penalty, and still get quickened heals from your reconstructs. Pally also gives you a couple of immunities, Fighter levels help you fitting in the good melee feats.

Trap xp is going to improce with the new update.
For bosses you can save up 200-400 mana, apply dots and hide somewhere :D.

TheLegendOfAra
08-31-2014, 02:54 AM
For Heroic past life, 16Sorc/2Monk/2Pali THF Human.(Bladeforged if you have it would also work.)

Feats: THF, ITHF, GTHF, Power Attack, Empower, Maximize, OC, whatever.
Max Str, Con, and Cha. Split levels up into Cha and Str(Enough str to qualify for OC rest into cha)

Use heal scrolls if you go human. With human heal amp, gear, Monk, and W&S Mastery III you'll be healing 300-400 a scroll.
Play in LD, Shiradi, or Divine Crusader.

For actual endgame play, similar set up but go 12Sorc/6Paladin/2Monk instead, and play as BF.

EllisDee37
08-31-2014, 03:04 AM
Wait until U23 goes live and roll up a max-int wizard who also gets int for attack/damage using the harper tree.

voxson5
08-31-2014, 04:13 AM
For Heroic past life, 16Sorc/2Monk/2Pali THF Human.(Bladeforged if you have it would also work.)

Feats: THF, ITHF, GTHF, Power Attack, Empower, Maximize, OC, whatever.
Max Str, Con, and Cha. Split levels up into Cha and Str(Enough str to qualify for OC rest into cha)

Use heal scrolls if you go human. With human heal amp, gear, Monk, and W&S Mastery III you'll be healing 300-400 a scroll.
Play in LD, Shiradi, or Divine Crusader.

For actual endgame play, similar set up but go 12Sorc/6Paladin/2Monk instead, and play as BF.

Why would you choose an interrupt-able scroll over a quickened reconstruct on a good old WF?

I'ld actually look at 12 sorc/6monk/2pally, staff specialization, shadow fade etc

If you go bladeforged you can have the sla recon and cast tensors :)

Battlemages are just awesome fun - best time I've had on any caster lives. With shadowfade + displacement + good dodge + sweet saves, only poor balance skill and running out of SP will stop you!

IMHO you wont need the THF feats on a staff build as cleaves wont generate glancing blows. Grab a theurgic stave (or one with correct spelling) from lv 8 and go smack things, stout walking stick at 20, Sireth at 23..
PA/extend/quicken/master of forms/imp. crit:blugeoning/5 more of your choice :)

Fit in Zen archery/WF:Ranged/Bow Str/PBS/Manyshot (will require points in dex & wis) for a centered burst damage option.

11 wiz/5 monk/4 ranger (or variations) also is a nice option, but less survivable than the sorc/pally/monk

XodousRoC
08-31-2014, 08:14 AM
Why would you choose an interrupt-able scroll over a quickened reconstruct on a good old WF?

I'ld actually look at 12 sorc/6monk/2pally, staff specialization, shadow fade etc

Battlemages are just awesome fun - best time I've had on any caster lives. With shadowfade + displacement + good dodge + sweet saves, only poor balance skill and running out of SP will stop you!

IMHO you wont need the THF feats on a staff build as cleaves wont generate glancing blows. Grab a theurgic stave (or one with correct spelling) from lv 8 and go smack things, stout walking stick at 20, Sireth at 23..

Fit in Zen archery/WF:Ranged/Bow Str/PBS/Manyshot (will require points in dex & wis) for a centered burst damage option.

11 wiz/5 monk/4 ranger (or variations) also is a nice option, but less survivable than the sorc/pally/monk

I built an 11 wiz/6 monk/3 rogue with full trap skillz. I healed with monk finisher (with good Hamp, it's possible through much of heroic) in heroics and Cocoon in epics. I roll in LD. With xtended displacement, rage, haste, blur, and decent dodge scores I'm tough to hit, and have xtended tensers and rogue staff enh that gives 15 percent attack speed for offense. I also also use cleave/gr cleave/momentum swing/lay waste. Running with almost 800 hp at lvl 24. OC will lose the str req with U23, so my build would focus on int/con and use the Harper tree that's coming for int to hit/dmg, as well as giving me the points needed for full trapping. Feats I'd consider necessary would be Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave (still great since PA grants +10 dmg/hit even w/out glancing procs), extend, quicken, overwhelming crit, impr crit: bludgeon, emp heal (for those cocoons you'll be using in epics). I'd probably try to fit in dodge, mobility, spring attack if possible, but Master of Forms for earth stance crit bonus is more important.

For a pure build, it's impossible to not agree with other advice you've received regarding Bard and Druid. In wolf form, Druid can be a beast (figuratively as well as literally) while still throwing around SLAs that hit like nukes. Druid also gives you access to Earthquake (for my $, best cc in the game). Bard gives some very nice cc options combined with SWF synergy in Swashy (and it's a ton of fun to play atm).

PsychoBlonde
08-31-2014, 02:12 PM
Consider this: where to get ur spellpower from. Spellpower only comes in the form of random lootgen weapons and named items (mostly weapons but also other various gear) the best option is probably rubies of spellpower.

You can get spellpower items other ways, but they're not terribly common.

The biggest problem with a melee/caster build is feats and to a lesser extent, stats. You're not going to be good at melee without a bunch of melee-oriented feats (power attack, two-handed fighting, improved crit, etc.) likewise you're not going to be good at casting without a bunch of casting-oriented feats (Maximize, Empower, DC-boosters, etc.) You can be okay at both, but not great at both. And if you focus on one, you're going to be using that one ALL THE TIME because it's simply more expedient . . . so sooner or later you'll wind up asking yourself "why do I have all these melee feats when I just cast spells all the time? If I get rid of them I can make my spellcasting better!"

So, if you decide to do a real melee caster, you need to accept some limitations:

Your DC's are going to suck. Which means that any spells that rely on DC's are also going to suck. You will not be able to effectively CC anything unless it's already so easy for you that you won't even want to bother. So CC is out. Insta-kills (except for power word kill, which has like a 60 second cooldown) are out. What's left? A small amount of damaging spells, some no-save debuffs like Enervate and Energy drain, buffing, and healing.

This is why a melee caster really equals "melee with some spell buffs".

Kriogen
08-31-2014, 02:14 PM
Wizard18/Rogue2 or Wizard18/Monk2.

Race: any. WF can self repair, others can put points into Pale Master.

Max INT, don't dump CON, the rest in STR. Levelup points into INT.

Fight with quarterstaffs. High synergy with Rogue2 (Acrobat tree) or Monk2 (centered and Henshin tree). Staffs may not hit as hard as other weapons, but you swing faster so its not so bad. Add some Acrobat perks or Monk goddies and its even with other weapons, if not better.

Feats:
- Insightful Reflexes: so you get solid Reflex saves, for Evasion
- Cleave, Greater Cleave
- the rest: tipical caster stuff

Prefered play style:
- insta kill annoying casters
- Disco inferno and cleave like a barbarian. When you get item with FOM, Sleet+Ice Storm is also pretty cool

TheLegendOfAra
09-01-2014, 03:12 AM

Well, I honestly don't like playing robots. I'm a heal amp *****.
I've also capped and done 4 melee caster lives all fleshie and never once found the need or even the want for reconstruct. So why bother?

Staffs on a build like this will not put out the same amount of DPS as a great axe. I've play tested it on 4 lives and I've never once been able to pull out more DPS with a staff on these builds than a Great axe. Granted you could build for it with a 12Sorc/5Rogue/3Monk, but I just don't think it's worth it.

THF is more of a future proofing since the fix glancing blows will be fixed, AND the THF feats will be granting melee power. Although it will also be nice now, and there's not much else this build would really need feat wise. I mean, it's a fairly basic class split, with few feat slots, and it doesn't need many feats to work well in heroic.

On a melee caster build manyshot is too costly, and not worth the effort of feat/enhancement/gear cost unless you splash 6 Ranger to get it for free. Trust me on this, I've done it multiple times. It just doesn't work as well as you'd imagine. Besides, with fire spellpower and in DC, you'll be doing enough DPS that way you won't need a manyshot burst. Not to mention you're a caster...You should have enough ranged DPS/burst DPS that manyshot isn't needed. Not to mention that with a Cha/Str splitm it is literally impossible to fit in dex AND wisdom enough to actually use a bow effectively. Last time I tried and used a manyshot more than half of the arrows were glancing blows.

Battle Mages are very fun, but running out of Spellpoints should never stop you. The whole point is to supplement melee DPS for caster DPS and to help conserve your spellpoints. I usually go through entire quests and my spellpoints are used for 3 things, 1.) self buffs, 2.) AOE spells(Firewall, icestorm, cloud spells), and 3.) boss fights. I usually get to a boss fight with 1000 SP left and just nuke to hell. I never have SP issues.

FuzzyDuck81
09-01-2014, 03:27 AM
My thought would be to have something on the lines of a warforged 12wiz/2rogue/6bard, make it int-based. SWF with swashbuckling, use the new harper tree for making INT as your to-hit & damage stat (rather than just damage from swashbuckler) & with insightful reflexes for boosting your evasion to0.. you'd have self-healing, trap skills & some melee skills as a baseline. Then from there, either boost the archmage tree if you want to be more castery, or focus more in swashbuckler to be mostly melee.. your best damage spell-wise would come from stacking some DoTs, and could go shiradi using the pewpews once in epics.