PDA

View Full Version : Harper Tree

John_Rove
08-28-2014, 02:16 PM
This may be hard for some of you to believe, but Turbine has finally crossed a line that pushes me too far. This new paid enhancement tree is the straw that breaks the camel's back. I have loved this game for 5 years and been a VIP for 4.5 of those. But as of today, I have canceled my sub and if u23 goes live with this, I uninstall the game and never look back.

Hello My DDO 07/16/2009,

You are receiving this email to confirm your subscription cancellation.

Subscription Details:
Type of Membership: 3 Month DDO Plan
Description: 3 Month DDO Plan
Price: $29.97 (USD)

Your subscription will remain active until 11/18/2014 1:46:49 AM (GMT), until that time you may still make use of the subscription features.

If you did not elect to cancel your subscription, or feel this was in error, please contact the Turbine Support Center.

Sincerely,

Turbine Account Team

For those unaware, here is the info on the tree in question:

(NEW): Harper - A new enhancement tree is now available to all classes! The Harper tree is free to VIPs, and is also available for purchase in the DDO Store.The Harper tree is currently only available to VIP players on Lamannia. Additionally, the Action Point costs of abilities are not adjusted to what they will be when U23 is released.) The tree is as follows:
Core Abilities

1 AP, character level 1:

Agent of Good I: +1 to hit versus evil, +1 Universal Spell Power.

5 AP, class level 3:

Harper Training I: Int or Cha or Dex.

10 AP, character level 6:

Agent of Good II: +2 to hit and damage versus evil, +5 Universal Spell Power.

20 AP, class level 12:

Harper Training II: Int or Cha or Dex.

30 AP, class level 18:

Agent of Good III: +3 to hit and damage versus evil, +10 Universal Spell Power.

41 AP, class level 20:

Harper's Freedom: Dispel most detrimental effects from you and add +10 to all saving throws for 12 seconds. Cooldown: 5 minutes.

Tier One (0 AP Required)

Weathered Traveler: +1/2/3 Energy Resistance
Harper Enchantment I: Your weapon gains an additional +1 to its Enhancement bonus. You gain +20 to your maximum Spell Points.
Traveler's Toughness: +5/+10/+15 maximum hit points.
Awareness: +1/+2/+3 to Listen, Search, and Spot. Rank 3: +1 save versus traps.
Strategic Combat I: You can use your Intelligence modifier to hit with Melee and Missile weapons.

Tier Two (5 AP Required)

Heroic Companion:

Anti-requisite with the Halfing race version:

Action Boost: Grants an ally +0.25[W] and +2 to hit and saving throws. Usable five times per rest.
Action Boost: Grants an ally +0.5[W], +4 to hit and saving throws, and +2% Dodge. Usable five times per rest.
Action Boost: Grants an ally +1[W], +6 to hit and saving throws, +4% Dodge, and +10 Physical Resistance Rating. Usable five times per rest.

Magical Endurance: +30/+60/+100 maximum Spell Points.
Versatile Adept I: +2/+4/+6 to Melee Power, Ranged Power, and Universal Spell Power.
Know the Angles: Antirequisite: Divine Might. You gain an Insight bonus to damage and the DC of tactical feats equal to ½ your Intelligence Modifier for 30/60/120 seconds. (Activation Cost: 21/18/15 spell points. Cooldown: 20 seconds)
Strategic Combat II: You can use your Intelligence modifier for damage with Melee and Missile weapons.

Tier Three (10 AP Required)

Highly Skilled: +1/2/3 on all skills.
Know Your Foe: Multiselector: Gain a Favored Enemy. Passive: Add +1 to the DC of your spells.
Versatile Adept II: +2/+4/+6 to Melee Power, Ranged Power, and Universal Spell Power.
Harper's Leadership: Your hirelings, summoned, and charmed creatures gain +2/3/4 to all ability scores.
Int or Dex: +1 Intelligence or Dexterity

Tier Four (20 AP Required)

Throat Dagger: Damages an enemy from afar for 1d4+4 Piercing damage per character level. Damaged non-boss enemies can't cast spells for 6 seconds. (This Spell Like Ability can be Quickened or Enlarged for no extra cost, if you have those feats.)

Higher ranks reduce the small spell point cost and reduce the cooldown.

Versatile Adept III: +2/+4/+6 to Melee Power, Ranged Power, and Universal Spell Power.
Vigor of Life: +10 Positive Healing Amplification. -10% less damage from Negative Energy.
Magic of Austerity: Like Eschew Materials, your spells no longer need common material components. This does not increase their Spell Point cost.

Tier Five (30 AP Required)

Versatile Adept IV: +2/+4/+6 to Melee Power, Ranged Power, and Universal Spell Power.
Vigor of Life: +10 Positive Healing Amplification. -10% less damage from Negative Energy.
Moment of Clarity: For the next 12 seconds the DC of your spells and your tactical feats is increased by +10. Cooldown: 5 minutes.
Magic of Patience: Your spells benefit from the Extend Spell metamagic feat. This does not increase their Spell Point cost. Does not stack with Extend metamagic itself.
Multiselector:

Harper Enchantment of Deception: Your weapon gains an additional +1 to its Enhancement bonus and Improved Deception.
Harper Enchantment of Righteousness: Your weapon gains an additional +3 to its Enhancement bonus and Righteousness.
Harper Enchantment of Magic: Your weapon gains a +10 Harper bonus to Universal Spell Power.

HastyPudding
08-28-2014, 02:19 PM
...so instead of showing us the planned-for and talked-about vanguard tree that many people are waiting to look at, they add a completely new, unheard-of tree available to VIP's. In fact, Vanguard now isn't even mentioned it's coming to lammania, soon. Nobody asked for or wanted this broken harper tree...

Honestly, what the hell, Turbine?

gwonbush
08-28-2014, 02:21 PM
I first thought that they made a mistake in copy-pasting the wrong planned tree into the release notes. I was proven wrong when there was no Vanguard tree, but the Harper tree did exist in Lam.

arkonas
08-28-2014, 02:27 PM
This may be hard for some of you to believe, but Turbine has finally crossed a line that pushes me too far. This new paid enhancement tree is the straw that breaks the camel's back. I have loved this game for 5 years and been a VIP for 4.5 of those. But as of today, I have canceled my sub and if u23 goes live with this, I uninstall the game and never look back.

Hello My DDO 07/16/2009,

You are receiving this email to confirm your subscription cancellation.

Subscription Details:
Type of Membership: 3 Month DDO Plan
Description: 3 Month DDO Plan
Price: $29.97 (USD)

Your subscription will remain active until 11/18/2014 1:46:49 AM (GMT), until that time you may still make use of the subscription features.

If you did not elect to cancel your subscription, or feel this was in error, please contact the Turbine Support Center.

Sincerely,

Turbine Account Team

For those unaware, here is the info on the tree in question:

(NEW): Harper - A new enhancement tree is now available to all classes! The Harper tree is free to VIPs, and is also available for purchase in the DDO Store.The Harper tree is currently only available to VIP players on Lamannia. Additionally, the Action Point costs of abilities are not adjusted to what they will be when U23 is released.) The tree is as follows:
Core Abilities

1 AP, character level 1:

Agent of Good I: +1 to hit versus evil, +1 Universal Spell Power.

5 AP, class level 3:

Harper Training I: Int or Cha or Dex.

10 AP, character level 6:

Agent of Good II: +2 to hit and damage versus evil, +5 Universal Spell Power.

20 AP, class level 12:

Harper Training II: Int or Cha or Dex.

30 AP, class level 18:

Agent of Good III: +3 to hit and damage versus evil, +10 Universal Spell Power.

41 AP, class level 20:

Harper's Freedom: Dispel most detrimental effects from you and add +10 to all saving throws for 12 seconds. Cooldown: 5 minutes.

Tier One (0 AP Required)

Harper Enchantment I: Your weapon gains an additional +1 to its Enhancement bonus. You gain +20 to your maximum Spell Points.
Strategic Combat I: You can use your Intelligence modifier to hit with Melee and Missile weapons.

Tier Two (5 AP Required)

Heroic Companion:

Anti-requisite with the Halfing race version:

Action Boost: Grants an ally +0.25[W] and +2 to hit and saving throws. Usable five times per rest.
Action Boost: Grants an ally +0.5[W], +4 to hit and saving throws, and +2% Dodge. Usable five times per rest.
Action Boost: Grants an ally +1[W], +6 to hit and saving throws, +4% Dodge, and +10 Physical Resistance Rating. Usable five times per rest.

Magical Endurance: +30/+60/+100 maximum Spell Points.
Versatile Adept I: +2/+4/+6 to Melee Power, Ranged Power, and Universal Spell Power.
Know the Angles: Antirequisite: Divine Might. You gain an Insight bonus to damage and the DC of tactical feats equal to ½ your Intelligence Modifier for 30/60/120 seconds. (Activation Cost: 21/18/15 spell points. Cooldown: 20 seconds)
Strategic Combat II: You can use your Intelligence modifier for damage with Melee and Missile weapons.

Tier Three (10 AP Required)

Highly Skilled: +1/2/3 on all skills.
Know Your Foe: Multiselector: Gain a Favored Enemy. Passive: Add +1 to the DC of your spells.
Versatile Adept II: +2/+4/+6 to Melee Power, Ranged Power, and Universal Spell Power.
Harper's Leadership: Your hirelings, summoned, and charmed creatures gain +2/3/4 to all ability scores.

Throat Dagger: Damages an enemy from afar for 1d4+4 Piercing damage per character level. Damaged non-boss enemies can't cast spells for 6 seconds. (This Spell Like Ability can be Quickened or Enlarged for no extra cost, if you have those feats.)

Higher ranks reduce the small spell point cost and reduce the cooldown.

Versatile Adept III: +2/+4/+6 to Melee Power, Ranged Power, and Universal Spell Power.
Magic of Austerity: Like Eschew Materials, your spells no longer need common material components. This does not increase their Spell Point cost.

Versatile Adept IV: +2/+4/+6 to Melee Power, Ranged Power, and Universal Spell Power.
Moment of Clarity: For the next 12 seconds the DC of your spells and your tactical feats is increased by +10. Cooldown: 5 minutes.
Magic of Patience: Your spells benefit from the Extend Spell metamagic feat. This does not increase their Spell Point cost. Does not stack with Extend metamagic itself.
Multiselector:

Harper Enchantment of Deception: Your weapon gains an additional +1 to its Enhancement bonus and Improved Deception.
Harper Enchantment of Righteousness: Your weapon gains an additional +3 to its Enhancement bonus and Righteousness.
Harper Enchantment of Magic: Your weapon gains a +10 Harper bonus to Universal Spell Power.

honestly i see nothing wrong with this. races and trees like WF, monk, horc, helf, druid, etc. you get these freely as vip. i see nothing different here. you're currently a vip and you don't have to pay for this. i'm sorry i fail to see the issue.

Cordovan
08-28-2014, 02:28 PM
We ran into an issue with Vanguard when getting today's Lamannia update ready, so it won't be available this time around. Will certainly make an appearance on Lamannia soon. We'll be creating a forum thread for the Harper to gather feedback shortly.

slarden
08-28-2014, 02:29 PM
You are cancelling your VIP subscription because Turbine provided a new optional enhancement tree that is free to VIPs.

kk

Truth is - very builds will have the points to use it, but it does open up some new build ideas for sure. Your nerdrage was a bit over the top for this.

jalont
08-28-2014, 02:31 PM
You are cancelling your VIP subscription because Turbine provided a new optional enhancement tree that is free to VIPs.

kk

Truth is - very builds will have the points to use it, but it does open up some new build ideas for sure. Your nerdrage was a bit over the top for this.

Aye. I've never seen someone so upset at getting something for free. But whatevs.

And this tree is really, really weird.

Memnir
08-28-2014, 02:33 PM
http://i.imgur.com/vp8h60k.gif

UurlockYgmeov
08-28-2014, 02:34 PM
We ran into an issue with Vanguard when getting today's Lamannia update ready, so it won't be available this time around. Will certainly make an appearance on Lamannia soon. We'll be creating a forum thread for the Harper to gather feedback shortly.

love the concept! am sure it will also be available to purchase for TP. Great additional benefit of being VIP! Upon first glance it looks fun and useful!

John_Rove
08-28-2014, 02:38 PM

kk

It isn't because of the effect it has on me. It is about the principle of paying for enhancements. If I continued playing, I would be a VIP. That doesn't change the fact that they have moved a basic part of character building (Enhancements) to a paid feature. If you think this is the extent of the paid trees, you are sorely mistaken.

Braegan
08-28-2014, 02:39 PM
Um, what?

I'll save real feedback for the official thread discussion.

Missing_Minds
08-28-2014, 02:44 PM
As if people never shelled out a few bucks for splat books to get a few prestige classes.

*shakes head* ah well...

/popcorn.

Holybird
08-28-2014, 02:44 PM

Can you tell how much this tree will cost when it hits live?

Ovrad
08-28-2014, 02:45 PM
U23: Everyone's a Harper!

*sigh*...

How does that promote in any way build diversity?

Putting in a stat replacement (int to damage) in a tree that's available for everyone seems like the worst idea ever.

slarden
08-28-2014, 02:45 PM
It isn't because of the effect it has on me. It is about the principle of paying for enhancements. If I continued playing, I would be a VIP. That doesn't change the fact that they have moved a basic part of character building (Enhancements) to a paid feature. If you think this is the extent of the paid trees, you are sorely mistaken.

Welcome to DDO

Half Orc tree: paid tree
Half Elf tree: paid tree
Monk tree: paid tree
Epic Destinies: paid tree
etc. etc.......

Don't forget that these can be purchased with TP earned through game play. There are many people that acquired all the other trees through game play and this will be no different. If Turbine didn't keep offering things for TP there would be no reason for people to ever buy anything.

This was free to VIPs which is great.

If you wish to quit the game because of it - that's your choice. I just find it puzzling to leave over this.

tfc_generalKMK
08-28-2014, 02:46 PM
just going to say this tree doesn't seem very harper ish... you know all kinds of chaotic neutral and balance in all things... and the things that disrupt balanced are dealt with harshly...

HastyPudding
08-28-2014, 02:46 PM
http://i.imgur.com/vp8h60k.gif

That is EXACTLY what my face looked like when I saw the new release notes.

This tree is broken. It's the only addition to ranged power I've seen so far, and it adds a ton of things for any class. Everybody will dump all stats except CON and INT and pick up a pinion and thunderforged longbow. All other stats are now only used for feat requirements. Just 12 AP spent to get both damage and to-hit for weapon using INT? Artificer and Rogue mechanics don't even get it that quickly.

GG, Turbine. GG

Chaimberland
08-28-2014, 02:49 PM
Um.....John Rove? Can I have your stuff?

painkiller3
08-28-2014, 02:51 PM
some good stuff here (the tree, no comment on OP)

Tier One (0 AP Required)

all situationally useful

Multiselector:

Harper Enchantment of Magic: Your weapon gains a +10 Harper bonus to Universal Spell Power.[/QUOTE]

does the vigor of life stack with paladin? and i think the auto-deception on weapon is great, the +10 to DC is awesome and the auto-extend is (situationally) handy too. like others have said may be expensive but there's some good stuff there!

Cordovan
08-28-2014, 02:53 PM
Let's move the discussion to our official Harper feedback thread here (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/447705-Harper-tree-feedback?p=5416253#post5416253). Thanks!