PDA

View Full Version : Swashbuckler Help for a returning player

Manny22
08-16-2014, 07:28 PM
Ok I'm recently returning to DDO.. and I'm completely lost as far as bard goes now with all the changes.. I've been googling like crazy looking for solid info on swashbuckler but all I'm finding in opinions.. I'm looking for info like starting stats, which stats are important. What kinda gear I should be looking for. The game has completely changed so some of the stuff on ideas have me very confused.. nothing sounds like dungeons and dragons anymore.. please help anyone.

Scrabbler
08-16-2014, 08:37 PM
I'm looking for info like starting stats, which stats are important. What kinda gear I should be looking for.
Swashbuckler is so good it hardly needs stats. Just make sure you're high in one damage stat, which can be Strength, Dexterity, Charisma, or even Intelligence (don't pick Intelligence). Strength can be your default, unless you want better Freeze + Hold DCs from Charisma.

Make sure you train 7 Balance (when possible) to qualify for SWF feats. Perform will help you Swash kill (but a Bard would have that anyway)

For items: the main thing is your weapon, which must be on the Swashbuckle list (naturally finesse things, rapier shortsword dagger etc). At low level (before you learn Imp Crit) try to use a Keen weapon, at high level one with bonus crit profile (Nightforge Stiletto being the easiest of those to get)

unbongwah
08-17-2014, 09:52 AM
I recommend you start by looking at the Count of MC (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/443235-The-Count-of-Monte-Cristo-dps-CC-survivability-focused-pure-swashbuckler).

Zachski
08-17-2014, 01:21 PM
I recommend you start by looking at the Count of MC (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/443235-The-Count-of-Monte-Cristo-dps-CC-survivability-focused-pure-swashbuckler).

I second this.

bolsie
08-28-2014, 09:18 AM
I'm on the same boat, returning from 4-5 years... Still wearing dragontouched bloodstone etc. :D
Looking at that build doesn't give me any ideas on what quests i should run and trying to acquire new gear along the way, can't just go ahead and equip those ml28 items.
Currently level 21 with 490 hp, all i got so far is sacrificial dagger.
Also i couldn't pick divine crusader as epic destiny so went with fatesinger, think it requires some sort of past life thingies.

N-0cturn
08-28-2014, 11:46 AM
I'm on the same boat, returning from 4-5 years... Still wearing dragontouched bloodstone etc. :D
Looking at that build doesn't give me any ideas on what quests i should run and trying to acquire new gear along the way, can't just go ahead and equip those ml28 items.
Currently level 21 with 490 hp, all i got so far is sacrificial dagger.
Also i couldn't pick divine crusader as epic destiny so went with fatesinger, think it requires some sort of past life thingies.

You might have a Raiders Reward Box in your inventory, which would grant you one weapon from Caught in the Web. One of these is Balizarde, which is a great swashbuckler weapon with ML 23.

Otherwise some ideas:
- Purple Dragon Gauntlets are ML 20, easy to get and a good choice
- Blasting Chime (ML20 Trinket)- You can get this in the Cannith challenges and its is a good choice that covers Sonic Spellpower/Lore and gives a nice boost against constructs
- Ring of the Stalker (ML20)- Cannith challenges again, I like the Man slayer effect when swashbuckling and the seeker bonus is enough for lower levels

Regarding the destiny:
You have to level up destinies to reach divine crusader on a pure bard. You can only select a sphere when you have enough level in a class that qualifies or in another destiny which is located next to it. With bard, you will start in the Arcane Sphere and can make you way slowly to the divine sphere (Fatesinger 4 --> Shadowdancer 3 --> Grandmaster of Flowers 4 --> Unyielding Sentinel 3 --> Divine Crusader). The map is here: http://ddowiki.com/page/File:ED_Map_U21.JPG

However I would advise you to pick up Rank 1 in Magister before you start this journey, to twist in "Unearthly Reactions", which gives you +6 Reflex saves, +3 dodge and the ability to tumble through enemies which has saved my hide several times when I was stuck in a crowd and could not jump out of it.