PDA

View Full Version : First life solo advice

Snuglufigus
08-16-2014, 09:15 AM
Good day to ye kind sirs perusing this post.

I've been playing DDO on and off for a few years now, but had always been fascinated by all the combinations I could try and as a result had never really gotten any of my characters up to the higher levels before forgetting/deleting them to try some other fanciful concept. While this was marvelously fun, I've recently starting getting the itch to finally aim for level 20 and all the goodies inherent in the true reincarnation system.

Thus I turn to you, who doubtless have far more experience in high level content and soloing at those levels than I. The rationale behind soloing is that it will give me the ability to just play whenever I have the time to do so, and it adds a nice challenge aspect to the whole scenario, and even allows me to try something akin to Ron's solo challenge which had always intrigued me whenever I went to go fetch the new version of the character planner. What I wish to ask of anyone willing to give a little feedback are good build ideas, perhaps core items to aim for etc.

In return I will endeavor to do my best to catalog my adventures, with just a hint of humour on a blog that I shall establish once everything has been sorted out, telling bits of the character's story in first person, with a few humourous asides:). As well as creating a sort of guide from your advice and my experiences for other players who have only started out wishing to do something similar, perhaps even start a kind of challenge run among kindred spirits, but I digress.

I have access to 32 point builds, all the classes, and all the races other than Drow, so hopefully there's something in there capable of making something like this viable :p.

Any advice or even ideas on creating a fun run would be greatly appreciated, and a giant thanks to anyone who read through that tiny wall of text, you can claim your free virtual muffin coupon from a carrier pigeon near you ;).

Sincerely yours,
Snuflufigus

P.S. please feed mr. Wiggles, I'm quite sure that the round trip to all of you would be quite exhausting.

AbyssalMage
08-16-2014, 11:07 AM
"Light" Monk
WF Artificer
PM Wizard
WF Sorcerer
Bard
Tempest "Trapmonkey"
Favored Soul
DM Halfling 13/6/1 Rogue/Monk/Druid Q-staff
Basically anything that can self-heal

Gear:
Deathward "clicky" x 3 (21 minutes should get you through most shrines)
Deathblock (DW can be dispelled)
False Life +30
Heavy Fortification
Cure Serious Wounds Potions
Heal Scrolls (If you have UMD or ability to cast)
Shield (MM immunity) clicky/scroll (If you have access)
Feather Fall/Underwater Action (Not required but quality of life item)

That's the basics. Challenge Gear and GH can supply you relatively well for 14-20.

EllisDee37
08-16-2014, 01:34 PM
The builds linked in my signature are all designed to be self-sufficient and solo-capable, though a couple of them (the fighter/cleric and the cleric) need to use timing and safe spots to get through traps.

Out of curiosity, how do you not have drow? In all this time have you really never gotten a character to 400 favor? I hit 400 favor somewhere around level 5-7 each life.

EDIT: Checking my spreadsheet, the 1s, 2s and 3s on elite gets you 395 favor, meaning I hit 400 favor soon after taking level 6 each life.

Stoner81
08-16-2014, 03:27 PM
I highly recommend looking at the builds in Ellis's signature along ones by Unbongwah there are lots of options which make good for first life characters. If you are planning on jumping on the TR train then I recommend doing a Barbarian life first simply because it will take less XP on you first life than 2nd or subsequent lives.

Stoner81.

Snuglufigus
08-16-2014, 04:24 PM
Out of curiosity, how do you not have drow? In all this time have you really never gotten a character to 400 favor? I hit 400 favor somewhere around level 5-7 each life.

Umh... well my level 8 has 360 favour... do not question this... I have felt confused for quite some time as well :). Which I did forget about, so I could grind that in a short while (the problem with continuously trying new things for no understandable reason is that I'm spread over 6 servers, so I kinda forgot about that, sorry :) )

My forgetfulness aside (why isn't there a mnemonic enhancement potion in real life? :P) thanks for the advice, I'll take a look at everything.

moomooprincess
08-17-2014, 11:14 AM
To solo, you want the ability to deal a lot of damage, disarm traps or avoid, and be able to heal/repair yourself.

IMHO, only three types of characters fit that bill

Warforged Wizard/Rogue with two levels of rogue the rest into wizard. You can nuke stuff, disarm traps, evade some stuff, and repair yourself.
Drow Pale Master Wizard/Rogue with two levels of rogue.
Dwarf Ranger/Rogue/Monk with 1 or 2 levels of monk, the rest divided into ranger and rogue or whatever you want in them, but at least six levels of ranger for multi-shot.

Of those three it would be warforged all the way, if I had to make a decision.

I actually do most of my soloing on my Radiant Servant PURE Clerics. I like having the radiant servant always healing me(and my panther/owlbear/hireling) so I do not have to concentrate on healing myself.

droid327
08-18-2014, 12:53 AM
To solo, you want the ability to deal a lot of damage, disarm traps or avoid, and be able to heal/repair yourself.

IMHO, only three types of characters fit that bill

Warforged Wizard/Rogue with two levels of rogue the rest into wizard. You can nuke stuff, disarm traps, evade some stuff, and repair yourself.
Drow Pale Master Wizard/Rogue with two levels of rogue.
Dwarf Ranger/Rogue/Monk with 1 or 2 levels of monk, the rest divided into ranger and rogue or whatever you want in them, but at least six levels of ranger for multi-shot.

Really? What about WF Arti? Seems like Wiz/Rogue is just trying to make a piecemeal version of Arti :)

But I agree, solo = 1) self heal, 2) adequate DPS, 3) damage mitigation, and 4) the ability to disarm traps if you cant just punch through them

The three basic archetypes I recommend for that are always:
-WF Arti 12/Rgr 6/Rogue 2. Full ranged Repeater damage + SA + Sniper Shot + SLAs, Evasion, feats galore, trapping, skill points galore, INT for everything, and benefits from Cannith gear the most through Heroic levels. The strongest pure soloist build IMO since its so solid top-to-bottom.

-Tempest Trapmonkey. The old stalwart and proven commodity. Healing, trapping, DPS, hits all the bases. Pale Trapper is the other 'classic' solo build, but I haven't played one to vouch for it.

-Bard 16/2 Fig/2 Rogue (Evasion Swasher, CHA or STR based) or 12 Wiz/6 Bard/2 Rogue (Ghost Pirate, INT or STR based). Both take advantage of Swashbuckler+SWF feats, which gives you awesome DPS with a wide variety of weapons. The former lets you dip into Warchanter for Chants as well and benefits from Positive heals, the latter gives you Wraith form for full-stupid avoidance defense with Negative heals. Swash also comes with +runspeed, which is super convenient for running around Heroic, which tends to be (on average) a little less convenient-to-access than Epic. One caveat there is you might need Tomes or 32-point to have enough INT for Trapping, considering you need Perform and some Balance (and probably Heal too).

Paladin builds, after the next Update, also look like they may be extremely self-sufficient, and take the most advantage of the Armor changes that will make Evasion less of a must-have. The newest/most recently updated classes are always going to have good FOTM builds.

wayreth602
08-18-2014, 01:20 AM
Really? What about WF Arti? Seems like Wiz/Rogue is just trying to make a piecemeal version of Arti :)

But I agree, solo = 1) self heal, 2) adequate DPS, 3) damage mitigation, and 4) the ability to disarm traps if you cant just punch through them

The three basic archetypes I recommend for that are always:
-WF Arti 12/Rgr 6/Rogue 2. Full ranged Repeater damage + SA + Sniper Shot + SLAs, Evasion, feats galore, trapping, skill points galore, INT for everything, and benefits from Cannith gear the most through Heroic levels. The strongest pure soloist build IMO since its so solid top-to-bottom.

-Tempest Trapmonkey. The old stalwart and proven commodity. Healing, trapping, DPS, hits all the bases. Pale Trapper is the other 'classic' solo build, but I haven't played one to vouch for it.

-Bard 16/2 Fig/2 Rogue (Evasion Swasher, CHA or STR based) or 12 Wiz/6 Bard/2 Rogue (Ghost Pirate, INT or STR based). Both take advantage of Swashbuckler+SWF feats, which gives you awesome DPS with a wide variety of weapons. The former lets you dip into Warchanter for Chants as well and benefits from Positive heals, the latter gives you Wraith form for full-stupid avoidance defense with Negative heals. Swash also comes with +runspeed, which is super convenient for running around Heroic, which tends to be (on average) a little less convenient-to-access than Epic. One caveat there is you might need Tomes or 32-point to have enough INT for Trapping, considering you need Perform and some Balance (and probably Heal too).

Paladin builds, after the next Update, also look like they may be extremely self-sufficient, and take the most advantage of the Armor changes that will make Evasion less of a must-have. The newest/most recently updated classes are always going to have good FOTM builds.

I hesitated to add the bard build as a good solo build. It was my first life build before the enhancement pass, but it rocked. The classic 16/2/2 build. Now it is likely better.

Also the Tempest Trapmonkey has proven to be always good.

Snuglufigus
08-18-2014, 01:40 PM
Oooooooh thank you good sir, I forgot that bard is actually viable now... maybe... hopefully :). Always wanted to try soloing with one.

Yeah I'm looking forward to the Paladin changes, though things would be so much nicer if they would just add sword and board fighting feats now that they've even stretched to single weapon fighting, and been quite liberal in the changes to keep it useful in the mmo setting, but maybe that would be a lil imbalanced... oh wells.

I think I'll try a bard build like the one you suggested droid. Just one final question then methinks, seeing as you guys have actual mid to late game experience, should I be looking at some quest packs or are there enough solo viable quests in the free to play roster?

EllisDee37
08-18-2014, 01:49 PM
I think I'll try a bard build like the one you suggested droid. Just one final question then methinks, seeing as you guys have actual mid to late game experience, should I be looking at some quest packs or are there enough solo viable quests in the free to play roster?You'll want at least Gianthold.

For solo-able content to get from 15 to 20, hmmm, probably Shadowfell or Druid's Deep.

Really, the best way to buy into the game is to start with both expansions in the DDO Market. (Not the in-game store.) If you add Shadowfell standard edition to your cart ($30) you can then add Menace of the Underdark standard edition to your cart for half price ($17.50) for a total of around $50 after tax. The reason this is a good deal is because in addition to the two expansions, it gives you:

2000 TP
Epic Destinies
Phiarlan Carnival (level 5 and epic)
Attack on Stormreach (level 13)
Path of Inspiration (level 18?)
Dreaming Dark (level 19?)
Eveningstar Challenges
PDK Iconic
Extra character slot
A couple xp/skill tomes

Really it's the four adventure packs and 2000 TP that put it over the top. If you wait for a pack sale that 2000 TP can buy Gianthold, Vale of Twilight and Vault of Night (2550 normally, 2040 @ 20% off), and when combined with the four packs listed above and you'll be pretty much set with enough content to solo from 1 to 28.

Vale isn't the greatest solo pack, but even a pure soloer can get some quality xp and xp/minute out of it.

ArcaneArcher52689
08-18-2014, 02:11 PM
Oooooooh thank you good sir, I forgot that bard is actually viable now... maybe... hopefully :). Always wanted to try soloing with one.

Yeah I'm looking forward to the Paladin changes, though things would be so much nicer if they would just add sword and board fighting feats now that they've even stretched to single weapon fighting, and been quite liberal in the changes to keep it useful in the mmo setting, but maybe that would be a lil imbalanced... oh wells.

I think I'll try a bard build like the one you suggested droid. Just one final question then methinks, seeing as you guys have actual mid to late game experience, should I be looking at some quest packs or are there enough solo viable quests in the free to play roster?

swf swashbuckling bards can take on pretty much any and all content at the moment. Mine is currently 16/2/2 bard/rogue/fvs-fvs gives divine might, rogue gives trap skills and evasion

Some other fun builds(if not amazing)
13/5/2 Cleric/FVS/Monk-does best as an iconic morning lord
Druid- enough said. Druid's are one of the easiest to build casters. they get great SLA's, great melee and spell damage 2-13, and elemental forms give tons of spell damage. Popular combos are 18/2, 17/3, 15/3/2 for casters. Wouldn't recommend one below 15-no earthquake
Pure 20 light monk- tons of fun
Favored soul warpriest- favored weapons aren't great, but they can work.

Soon to be amusing:
15/3/2 paladin/monk/fighter- won't shine until 20 w/ Divine crusader, but with a realistic 30% doublestrike, dualwielding 11-20/x3 oathblades, it might just work. Oh, and 250% healing amp.
18/2 Defender knight- Paladin/fighter- Switching from thf to sword and board will be viable again!

Uska
08-18-2014, 03:12 PM
I have good luck soloing with a rogue/paladin/monk or a rogue/ranger

unbongwah
08-18-2014, 03:27 PM
Just one final question then methinks, seeing as you guys have actual mid to late game experience, should I be looking at some quest packs or are there enough solo viable quests in the free to play roster?
There is sufficient F2P content to get to mid-teens, I think; higher if you don't mind farming quests. My usual advice to folks when they're ready to spend some moolah is to pick up the MotU SE (http://store.turbine.com/store/turbine/en_US/pd/ThemeID.29252200/productID.246618200/categoryID.58516100) which provides plenty of content on its own, as well as enough TPs to buy Gianthold outright. It also unlocks a few useful account perks like EDs, druids, and Vet status. If you're lucky, MotU may even go on sale again when you're ready to buy it. Last year it was 75% off for Cyber Monday. :)

EllisDee37
08-18-2014, 10:50 PM
There is sufficient F2P content to get to mid-teens, I think; higher if you don't mind farming quests. My usual advice to folks when they're ready to spend some moolah is to pick up the MotU SE (http://store.turbine.com/store/turbine/en_US/pd/ThemeID.29252200/productID.246618200/categoryID.58516100) which provides plenty of content on its own, as well as enough TPs to buy Gianthold outright. It also unlocks a few useful account perks like EDs, druids, and Vet status. If you're lucky, MotU may even go on sale again when you're ready to buy it. Last year it was 75% off for Cyber Monday. :)It's always 50% off if you buy Shadowfell at the same time.

unbongwah
08-19-2014, 07:16 AM
True, but the downside to that is having to buy Shadowfail - errr, fell. :p

Brendael
08-19-2014, 02:56 PM
The most fun build I've had solo'ing or otherwise is my 1 arti/19 ranger human build (For a first life you may want to take 2 arti.).

Humans give you Greater Heroism and Skill boosts to help trapping. The dragonmark of Passage is nice to have because it gives you Dimension Door as a last resort escape and Teleport to get around quickly. You also get some self healing (2 arti makes sure you have a nice mana pool.) and Paralyzing arrows allows for some decent crowd control. You even get a dog to help you pull levers.

EllisDee37
08-19-2014, 03:47 PM
True, but the downside to that is having to buy Shadowfail - errr, fell. :pConsider that if you recommend someone pay $35 for MotU standard edition -- which I agree is a great deal -- then that same player could get the following for $15 more:

1000 TP
Character slot
PDK Iconic
Lesser Epic XP tome
One skill tome (+2, I think?)
Shadowfell

No matter how lame Shadowfell is -- and it's pretty lame -- that's worth it. Shadowfell at least has nice new-player gear that's super easy to get.