PDA

View Full Version : EK Enhancement Eldritch Shield Apply to Orbs?

Charltonsexton
08-13-2014, 07:35 PM
I'm investing some points in the EK tree, and want to take advantage of the Eldritch Sield enhancement, that will give you temporary hit points. I don't want to get a shield if I don't have to. Right now I'm rocking the Nether Orb, and love the temporary sp I get from it.
Do I need to have an actual shield equipped to take advantage of Eldritch Shield or will my orb suffice? Thanks.

Boombastic
08-22-2014, 01:23 PM
Orbs don't have an enhancement bonus do they? Eldritch Shield works off the enhancement bonus of your equipped shield, so I think its a safe bet that it won't work with orbs.

bsquishwizzy
08-25-2014, 10:52 AM
I'm pretty sure it is a shield-only enhancement. Mainly because the bonuses go to shields, and the bashing mechanic doesn't apply to orbs. Orbs are more of an AM thing with Traditionalist Caster.

Mind you, I've never been one much for shield bash as a combat tactic, so I don't know this first-hand.

tapster
08-25-2014, 11:31 AM
Right. This isn't for the question you actually asked but orbs do bash. Tested on a Bard/Fighter/Rogue with magical training enhancement and improved shield bash feat.

The orb glows as a shield when bashing so you know when it procs. (Same shield glow you get when actively blocking)

Seikojin
08-25-2014, 01:43 PM
http://ddowiki.com/page/Shield_bonus

I don't see orbs on that list, so it does not look like it. You can check your characters defensive stats. just have nothing on, check for shield bonus in the breakdown, throw on the orb, and see if the +enhancement is put into the shield category. if so, then it should?

Charltonsexton
09-01-2014, 07:32 AM
Orbs don't have an enhancement bonus do they? Eldritch Shield works off the enhancement bonus of your equipped shield, so I think its a safe bet that it won't work with orbs.

Thanks, seems obvious now that it's been pointed out. The language of Eldritch Shield specifically makes mention of an enhancement bonus. Just to check, I did spec into the EK tree and took the enhancement and equipped my Nether Orb. I was not the recipient of any temporary hit points because of it. Tried with a buckler, and saw the enhancement work.
Would've been nice to have both the Energy Siphon and temporary hit points from my orb. The temp hp is not quite self healing I guess, but something like it for a non PM.

Failedlegend
09-01-2014, 12:28 PM
It should but it doesn't, EK is unfortunately a huge mess