PDA

View Full Version : spell level questions

redoubt
08-08-2014, 02:45 AM
Hi,

I'm working on a multiclass sorc (w/fvs) and could use some assistance. (I've always had pure arcanes before.)

1. When a spell like DBF says it maxes out at 20d3 that means @ 20 sorc. If I have 16 sorc levels, I only get 16d3. If I find things that increase my caster level I can get that back to 20d3. Can I get it higher than 20d3? So really the question boils down to, by multiclasses am I losing caster levels that cannot be regained OR is there a true cap that I cannot exceed?

2. What all increases caster level?

3. What is the highest caster level I can get to as a sorc?

Thanks.

redoubt
08-08-2014, 02:49 AM
4. arcane augmentation could help bring my sorc levels back up by 2, but not exceed the spell level cap, correct?

Eth
08-08-2014, 03:16 AM
- Sorcerer will give you +4 caster levels in the element you specialized in (enhancement core ability I - IV), but also lowers the opposed element by that amount

- Tier 4 FvS AoV can raise some spells:
Intense Faith: Your Fire, Force, Light, and Physical damage spells are cast at +1/+2/+3 caster level.

- Epic Abishai 3 piece set raises caster level of evocation spells by 3

- Arcane Augmentation raises all arcane spells by two levels, fire spells specifically can be raised by 3 via Red Dragon Helm

- Magister Tier 5 Mastery can raise the caster level of a chosen spell school by 3

- Being in Magister or Draconic (or fatesinger, lol) will raise the caster level of all your arcane spells by +6

- draconic spell knowledge can raise spells of one element by 3

- ToD Archmage set can raise your caster level by 2 when it procs (irrelevant for sorcs though)

You shouldn't have any trouble hitting cap on those spells ;)

Eth
08-08-2014, 03:25 AM
To answer your other questions:
Most spells do have a cap. Having a higher caster level helps though with spells that have a spell penetration check (although spellpen has become less important nowadays).

There's a list here with spells, which exceed or have no cap (a bit outdated though I guess): https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/345304-spells-which-scale-past-caster-level-20

Highest caster level for your build should be (assuming 16sorc/4fvs, fire specced in draconic) 16 base + 7 enhancements + 9 destiny + 3 abishai set + 3 arcane augmentation = 38

Theoretical (impractical :D) maximum:
Pure Sorc (Fire specced, in Magister with Mastery and Draconic Spell Knowledge twisted): 20 base + 6 enhancements + 12 destiny + 3 abishai + 3 AA = 44

redoubt
08-08-2014, 11:41 AM
For spells without a cap, I can see pretty easy how you can stack the caster level pretty high. I had been thinking acid as a secondary, but lightning might be better with some no/high cap spells there.

For capped spells. i.e. DBF capped at 20, I want to see if I'm working this problem correctly.

16 sorc levels = 16 caster levels.
savant core adds 6 CL bringing total CL up to 22, but DBF is still capped at 20
max draconic adds 5 CL from the cores so that is 27, but DBF is still capped at 20.
dragon spell knowledge adds 3 CL and 3 MAX LEVEL so now the total CL is 30, but this moved the DBF to 23.
AoV intense faith adds 3 CL to fire so the total CL is 33, but the DBF stays at 23.

My conclusion is that without raising MAX CL of the spell, most of these CL increases don't matter. Second, using spells without CL caps is going to be more powerful.

Am I getting this correctly? Are there other things which will raise the MAX CL of a spell beside "dragon spell knowledge"? (I suppose you could run in Magister for +3 max cl and twist dragon spell knowledge for another 3 CL, but that using your only tier 4 twist...)

redoubt
08-08-2014, 12:01 PM
For spells without a cap, I can see pretty easy how you can stack the caster level pretty high. I had been thinking acid as a secondary, but lightning might be better with some no/high cap spells there.

For capped spells. i.e. DBF capped at 20, I want to see if I'm working this problem correctly.

16 sorc levels = 16 caster levels.
savant core adds 6 CL bringing total CL up to 22, but DBF is still capped at 20
max draconic adds 5 CL from the cores so that is 27, but DBF is still capped at 20.
dragon spell knowledge adds 3 CL and 3 MAX LEVEL so now the total CL is 30, but this moved the DBF to 23.
AoV intense faith adds 3 CL to fire so the total CL is 33, but the DBF stays at 23.

My conclusion is that without raising MAX CL of the spell, most of these CL increases don't matter. Second, using spells without CL caps is going to be more powerful.

Am I getting this correctly? Are there other things which will raise the MAX CL of a spell beside "dragon spell knowledge"? (I suppose you could run in Magister for +3 max cl and twist dragon spell knowledge for another 3 CL, but that using your only tier 4 twist...)

I see a mistake I made, with 16 sorc, I will only have 4 cores, so the uncapped max is 2 points lower, but the DBF would still be at 23.

Are the 3 CLs to uncapped spells worth wearing the abishi set? I have it in the bank, but the gear seems subpar for everything except the CL increase and it doesn't say it increases MAX CL so it won't help with capped spells.

I like the idea of incendiary cloud, but with only 1 level 8 spell does sunburst become a better choice for killing fire immune undead?

cru121
08-08-2014, 12:37 PM
third and later savant core abilities also increase max CL
AoV T5 ability also increases max CL

energy burst is one effect that really benefits from high CL.

redoubt
08-08-2014, 01:19 PM
third and later savant core abilities also increase max CL
AoV T5 ability also increases max CL

energy burst is one effect that really benefits from high CL.

Good catch on the savant cores. Thank you.

the AoV enhancements are also very interesting and even tempting to take more levels of FvS, but I'm not sure its worth giving up the fireball SLA. Thoughts on the fireball SLA anyone? (Seems pretty awesome to me, but I've not gotten to use it yet.)

autochthon
08-08-2014, 01:44 PM
Good catch on the savant cores. Thank you.

the AoV enhancements are also very interesting and even tempting to take more levels of FvS, but I'm not sure its worth giving up the fireball SLA. Thoughts on the fireball SLA anyone? (Seems pretty awesome to me, but I've not gotten to use it yet.)

Cap AoV in a first/second life then go pure Savant in the second/third

Bets of both worlds.