PDA

View Full Version : which slot is best for green steel

AshenPlanet
07-27-2014, 01:41 PM
I am planning on going for completionist on my monk, and I finally got 1 greater shard (the middle one).
I'm going to make a smoke 45 hp item, but I am having trouble deciding where.

Please let me know where you guys make yours.

What I currently wear while leveling up:

goggles: deadly I-VI
helmut: resistance/minos legens/sora kell
neck: crafted feather fall-melee alacrity/silver flame
cloak: resist/mabar
bracers: jiz teka
gloves: brawling gloves/sora kell
belts: spare hand
boots: striding/speed/rock boots
chest: crafted invulnerability/garments of equilibrium/frozen tunic
ring1: buccaneer's ring
ring2: ring of stalker/sora kell

Which is the least painful slot to give up for a smoke greensteel?

Grace_ana
07-27-2014, 02:24 PM
This is a question that has nine different answers (you can't make GS rings). And even if you decide, don't be surprised if an awesome perfect-for-your-toon item is then released for exactly that slot about a year from now.

The best way to figure this out from my experience is to plan out what end game gear I want and work backwards. If you have a spot for that GS item in end game, then it goes where you can fit it. If not, work back until you have an opening that makes sense and make it for that. I wish there was a better answer, but I myself already have to redo a bunch of GS items because gear setups have changed over time with new gear releases.

AshenPlanet
07-27-2014, 02:28 PM
Thanks.
What slot do you use for green steel hp on your melee toons?

I'm thinking goggles right now, but not sure, since that's an easy to find deadly item slot.

zwiebelring
07-27-2014, 02:35 PM
Helmet. Min2. Fortification, hp, ss clicky. Slot vitality in stalker ring and or rock boots.

Or Smoke2 helmet if you slot fortification. 45 hp are compensated by +10 CON item and 35 hp (slotted) or even more on random gen (up to +50).

Psiandron
07-27-2014, 02:55 PM
It's really just a choice that you have to make, there's usually some opportunity cost involved, but that's why they call it choice right?

Anywho, I generally make goggles my GS HP/con-op item and the necklace for my GS SP/Charisma skills/raise dead item.

Works for me, but your results may vary. ;)

AshenPlanet
07-27-2014, 05:27 PM
Helmet is tempting, I think goggles or helmet may be the best bet for hp smoke.
I'm thinking goggles right now so I can get a dragonscale helmet later, I'll just have to find a different slot to get deadly in...
Thanks for the suggestions.

the_one_dwarfforged
07-27-2014, 10:35 PM
i do cloak every time on physical damage dealers.

Ilindith
07-28-2014, 12:15 AM
There is no best spot. There is only the spot where you have nothing better to put in.

So just plan your gear, and figure that one out.

Nayus
07-28-2014, 12:21 AM
After gathering many profound theories in this thread I can affirm the general consensus is: "I dunno dude, just do whatever floats your boat."

And I agree with it, I'm also having the same question and this thread was very helpful, the amount of insight was invaluable.

TheGuyYouKnow
07-28-2014, 01:49 AM
goggles i would say is better for casters, make a triple positive with sp(res clickie and cha skills for umd) and a conop with hp and switch one for the other after you have used the bonus sp
bracers or helmet for melee, minII to save on slots or perma blur if you have equipment set up already for most of your levels

imo best all round is conop hp bracers

zwiebelring
07-28-2014, 03:31 AM
add to my post earlier:
Greensteel is something you have to build around. Unfortunately they nerfed immunities, more than a hp item I'd love to have 4 immunities on one gs item.

My barbarian is wearing a Smoke 2 hp helmet. Displacement clickies are superior to any little set bonus like the black dragon set bonus. The important dps increase sits on black dragon armor anyway. Then, he reaches 1,3k hp in rage, which is more than enough for the ee quests, I run with him.

I guess, hp are nicefor leveling but guards are better these days for high lvl., because almost every non ftr non bar character reaches 700-800 hps at least, which is sufficient enough. Greensteel hp seem to be overkill. Imho of course.

But for the current item setup, the OP posted I'd put gs in helmet slot.

Rull
07-28-2014, 03:32 AM
Anywhere but gloves or bracers.

I could see goggles, boots, belt
Maybe cloak, necklace or helmet
But never gloves / bracers. Iron Mitts (and PDK gloves earlier), Backstabbers gloves and if you have cocoon or other heal, gauntlets of immortality are all pretty good. And for bracers, dumathoin is uncontested endgame and some parrying IV bracers are when leveling.

Ryiah
07-28-2014, 05:55 AM
Ideally you want a slot where you don't have to swap it out for clickies and have to pop a cure serious potion to get the HP back that you lost. Goggles are the only slot you can get a Deathward clickie before 20. Necklace has some nice options (Torc from DQ, Silver Flame Talisman, etc).

If you have enough ingredients, you could just make one for Heroic and one for Epic based on the gear selection you use.

Stoner81
07-28-2014, 09:37 AM
For my completionist toon I went with googles and only swap out if I need True Seeing for something but that is it. In heroics it won't matter as much as it would do for end game, as you gain past lives you will probably end up doing Shroud even more to make weapons for other lives and even items for them too.

Stoner81.

MangLord
07-28-2014, 12:54 PM
It's really a personal call based on what gear you like.

For my completionist, I opted for Con/Opp bracers based on the fact that bracers have a very small amount of craftable components, and I don't have a ton of named/special bracers past level 11. Typically, I try to keep speed on my belt slot, and deadly on either my goggles or necklace. Sometimes Seeker gets a bit tricky with high crit weapons, since lootgen bracers tend to feature that boost, but its not terribly hard to work around it with topped out Cannith Crafting skills.

For my ranger, who I keep at epic levels for running weekly static EE and raid nights with friends, I opted for a HP boosting Con/Opp helmet. At epic levels, gear is a bit more flexible. I have had a couple instances where I'd found a great lootgen helmet, but the extra HP, "free" +6 WIS and free SP procs are hard to part with. At level 28, I've found a nice set of gear I'm happy with, and still wear the helmet.

My Shroud runs have tapered off significantly over the past couple months, but I still have a surplus of ingredients that just accumulated over time without my realizing it. I just ran the raid a lot because my friends liked it, we had fun and laughed, and before you know it you have a huge pile of greensteel ingredients to work with.

If you're really concerned with gearing out your character as well as possible, Cannith Crafting pays dividends in the long run. I am never without everbright maces or good aligned weapons, 100% fortification, +6 to my important stats and +30 false life after level 9. High level Cannith Crafting is sort of the greensteel for low levels. It doesn't matter too much where you slot your greensteel item when you can make anything you want to fill out the rest of your gear. I usually start Korthos quests with a 20 or 22 on my primary stat. You can fill out gaps to round out your named gear so easily, and augment slots make it even easier to have a filler featherfall/PRR/true seeing ring at epics. If it weren't for the initial investment, I'd be surprised that crafting wasn't the most popular way to gear out a character. When I'm low on cash I make +60 devotion rings for 10k and they sell in under 30 minutes.

Rull
07-29-2014, 01:52 AM
It's really a personal call based on what gear you like.

For my completionist, I opted for Con/Opp bracers based on the fact that bracers have a very small amount of craftable components, and I don't have a ton of named/special bracers past level 11.

http://m.ddowiki.com/page/Item:Guardian's_Bracers_(Level_15)
http://m.ddowiki.com/page/Item:Levik's_Bracers
http://m.ddowiki.com/page/Item:Bracers_of_Wind
http://m.ddowiki.com/page/Item:Bracers_of_the_Sun_Soul
http://m.ddowiki.com/page/Epic_Bracers_of_the_Claw
lesser convalescent bracers of parrying
convalescent bracers of parrying
greater convalescent bracers of parrying
http://m.ddowiki.com/page/Item:Skirmisher's_Bracers_(Level_15)

AbyssalMage
07-29-2014, 03:45 AM
I am planning on going for completionist on my monk, and I finally got 1 greater shard (the middle one).
I'm going to make a smoke 45 hp item, but I am having trouble deciding where.

Please let me know where you guys make yours.

What I currently wear while leveling up:

goggles: deadly I-VI
helmut: resistance/minos legens/sora kell
neck: crafted feather fall-melee alacrity/silver flame
cloak: resist/mabar
bracers: jiz teka
gloves: brawling gloves/sora kell
belts: spare hand
boots: striding/speed/rock boots
chest: crafted invulnerability/garments of equilibrium/frozen tunic
ring1: buccaneer's ring
ring2: ring of stalker/sora kell

Which is the least painful slot to give up for a smoke greensteel?
1-20, bracers. Very simple.
21-28, a lot harder to answer. Still probably bracers but depends if you have Convalescent//Parry in that slot or not for the level range.

I would probably drop the spare hand also in your waist slot. If you are familiar with the Monk Challenge Farmer then you can already make changes to your gear layout above for 1-20. Yeah, this looks more and more like a 1-20 layout so I would look at the Monk Challenge Farmer. Deathblock is the only thing you need to find a slot for and that is taken care of through your Marbar cloak.

Go Wrist slot for GS Smoke II.

p.s. Mines in the waist slot but my final life doesn't plan to be a monk either.

AshenPlanet
07-30-2014, 12:20 PM
I did a search for 'monk challenge farmer'.
Found: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/423615-Challenge-Farmer?highlight=monk+challenge+farmer

Is that what you are referring to?
Interesting build, I'm going to be doing multiple reincarnations for completionist, so I won't go straight monk, but some good points in there.

Lots of good information to consider in this thread.
Thanks to everyone for the info.

EllisDee37
07-30-2014, 08:21 PM
Traditionally it was goggles or cloak, but now with deadly items (usually goggles) it's more all over the place.

My melee gravitate toward belt for greensteel.

Munkenmo
07-30-2014, 08:26 PM
If it helps, on my pastlifenmo build I use the following as my standard layout for most lives:

Robes : Blue Dragon / Black Dragon / Frozen tunic
Goggles : CHA skills sp (haste clicky) / true seeing of blindness immunity yellow slot (fear immunity)
Helmet : flexible cannith crafted +4 constitution greater false life colorless slot (+5 dex) (level 18)
Necklace : torc / Golden Guile
Trinket : Pale Green Ioun Stone
Cloak : Hp min 2
Belt : Spare Hand (level 16)
Ring 1: Holy Burst Kyrians Band (level 18)
Ring 2: Stalker ring (lvl 16)
Gloves : Fabricators Gauntlets (level 18)
Boots : Rock Boots (lvl 16)
Bracers : Bracers of Wind (lvl 16)

Along with a greensteel str / healing amp / healing amp con op weapon in my off hand.