PDA

View Full Version : swashbuckling and crit profiles

redoubt
07-27-2014, 02:56 AM
As I'm reading to prepare to make run a bard life, I'm noticing that the setup of the swashbuckling enhancement seems to make the crit profiles of all the finesse weapons the same. Am I reading this correctly? If yes, it seems the difference in damage is down to the base weapon damage and [W], yes?

Next, how is it affecting weapons with keen already on them? I.e. Balizarde, agony... Does it add one or two to the threat range?

Last (for now) is this applied before or after the feat Improved Critical?

Thank you.

cru121
07-27-2014, 03:24 AM
Light picks are different at 19-20x4. There is some slight differences in W size, but more importantly consider also racial enhancements, the wealth of named items, etc.

The competence bonuses to critical threat stack with Keen/Improved Crit; and they apply before Keen/Improved Crit. The Insight bonus to critical threat stacks with everything and is also doubled by Keen/ICrit.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Threat_range#Ways_to_increase_threat_range

CThruTheEgo
07-27-2014, 07:24 AM
You are correct that all weapons end up with the same crit profile, except light picks as cru121 pointed out. What makes the difference in which weapon to choose, however, is not the base damage, but named weapons with a larger crit profile (either/both of threat range and multiplier). Many named weapons will end up with a 15-20x4 crit profile. Forester's Brush Hook actually seems to benefit the most since it ends up with a 13-20x4 crit profile, but it requires proficiency to use. Personally, I'm a fan of Balizarde for epics. Skullsmasher is a good choice for both heroics and epics because it gets the 15-20x4 crit profile and has ribcracker for a lot of extra damage on crits.

Scrabbler
07-27-2014, 08:28 AM
Many named weapons will end up with a 15-20x4 crit profile.
It's more common to see named items become 13-20x3. There are all kinds of Daggers / Shortswords which start with 18-20x2 and Sickles with 19-20x2, which were built with the idea of bringing them towards the power of a Rapier. But now the crit benefits stacks with Swashbuckler (which was also meant to equalize them with Rapiers), and they become the preferred weapons for Bards.

For example, Nightforge Stiletto is possibly the easiest named weapon to farm, and all Bards should try it if they haven't experimented with 13-20x3 crits yet.