PDA

View Full Version : MAke it so I can toggle off getting trap parts

PsychoBlonde
07-23-2014, 07:56 AM
My trapper has parts coming out her EARS. PLEASE make it so I can toggle off the ability that makes me get trap parts from every trap I disarm. Trapmaking sounds cool but is a huge waste of time. I'm tired of throwing out stacks of parts.

But by all means make trapmaking actually cool at some future point. Just, until then, I want a toggle.

EllisDee37
07-23-2014, 07:59 AM
Yes, please. It's super annoying.

Scrabbler
07-23-2014, 08:42 AM
Trap parts are the devs trying to encourage you to splash Rogue instead.

There's no obvious way to make setting traps into a system that's both useful and balanced. When each new Rogue player starts getting parts, they go through a cycle of confusion to disappointment. It should have a toggle, and be off by default.

MalkavianX
07-23-2014, 08:53 AM
I'll take any and all trap parts off anyones hands. I love me the traps!

Sneak up near a group of baddies and place a web trap. Take a few steps back and place a noise maker. critters think, "Hey, what's that noise?" They go to investigate and promptly get stuck in the web trap. Stab stab stab, move on to next mob and repeat.

A rogue with the proper enhancements can solo most any dungeon this way. Takes a while, but it's easy as pie. Can't quite rememberwhich mechanic enhancement it is, but it uses your disable device score for the traps DC.

And I'm very serious about taking anyones trap parts off their hands. Any server. I have rogues on every server and gathering them myself is tedious at best. PM me here if you want to get rid of some or all of your trap parts. :D

Oh, and /not signed. (For the reasons posted above)

Scrabbler
07-23-2014, 08:59 AM
And I'm very serious about taking anyones trap parts off their hands. Any server. I have rogues on every server and gathering them myself is tedious at best.
How come there are so many parts sitting in the Auction House at pretty low prices?

sebastianosmith
07-23-2014, 09:26 AM
Oh, and /not signed. (For the reasons posted above)

But you gave no reasons why a toggle to auto-discard trap parts should not be available. I'm glad you find traps useful and they fit you prefered playstyle. Many others do not.

I would be in favor of this idea simply from the standpoint of choice. Every other similar item in game has to be deliberately acquired. Trap parts are auto-gathered. That eliminates my choice in the matter.

Kawai
07-23-2014, 09:29 AM
/signed

phillymiket
07-23-2014, 01:04 PM
/signed

It's the Quivering Quiver of abilities there only to spam your inventory with junk.

jalont
07-23-2014, 01:34 PM
I've successfully sold many trap parts on the asah. So, there's that.

Nayus
07-23-2014, 01:40 PM
-snip-
Or just go in cleaving and kill everything in 3 seconds.

Memnir
07-23-2014, 01:42 PM
I used to hate the same thing - and have made the same suggestion in the past.
Now, I just sell them and have come to find a happy and profitable peace with trap-parts.

People buy them. Try it and see.

Psiandron
07-23-2014, 02:02 PM
Selling the mechanical parts on the AH or ASAH should be pretty easy at least, as they're so helpful in making collars.

Seikojin
07-23-2014, 02:06 PM
Or you know, use them parts to make traps. O.o

Saekee
07-23-2014, 02:32 PM
/signed

It's the Quivering Quiver of abilities there only to spam your inventory with junk.

/signed.
nice analogy.

Shouldn't a toon be able to CHOOSE if he or she sticks those parts in his or her pocket? Some of us are too cheap to buy extra storage space and habitually delete even rare named items in order to keep backpack space and bank space as empty as possible. Throw into this problem that many halflings are trappers, and they have less storage space then the Big People.

Kipling
07-23-2014, 02:44 PM
But you gave no reasons why a toggle to auto-discard trap parts should not be available. I'm glad you find traps useful and they fit you prefered playstyle. Many others do not.

I would be in favor of this idea simply from the standpoint of choice. Every other similar item in game has to be deliberately acquired. Trap parts are auto-gathered. That eliminates my choice in the matter.

You need to deliberately interact with a control panel to get parts. Sell them, make traps, craft with them, etc.
/not signed

Qhualor
07-23-2014, 02:48 PM
/signed for an off switch at least until trap making is cool.

Livmo
07-23-2014, 02:53 PM
If anyone on Sarlona wants to get rid of trap parts, please mail the to Livmo. I will make use of them and I have gargantuan bag.

Thanks!

PsychoBlonde
07-23-2014, 03:49 PM
Trap parts are the devs trying to encourage you to splash Rogue instead.

There's no obvious way to make setting traps into a system that's both useful and balanced.

Sure there is. In fact, if they upped the power of the traps now it'd still be pretty balanced because setting the freakin things takes FOREVER. It's not something a party is going to wait around for you to do. It's useful when soloing or perhaps when you're standing around bored waiting for NPC's to finish yakking and fight. Other than that, it'll still be marginal even if a single trap can demolish an entire group of mobs.

PsychoBlonde
07-23-2014, 03:50 PM
You need to deliberately interact with a control panel to get parts. Sell them, make traps, craft with them, etc.
/not signed

Explain to me how my trapper is supposed to disarm traps without interacting with a control panel, again. I'm sure "I could do traps, but I don't want to accidentally get parts" would go over super-well in groups.

PsychoBlonde
07-23-2014, 03:51 PM
Or you know, use them parts to make traps. O.o

The number of traps I could make at this stage would be far more than I could ever conceivably use. We're talking *tens of thousands of parts*, here.

PsychoBlonde
07-23-2014, 03:53 PM
I used to hate the same thing - and have made the same suggestion in the past.
Now, I just sell them and have come to find a happy and profitable peace with trap-parts.

People buy them. Try it and see.

I don't need cash and selling them is more effort than throwing them out.

Scrabbler
07-23-2014, 03:55 PM
Sure there is. In fact, if they upped the power of the traps now it'd still be pretty balanced because setting the freakin things takes FOREVER.
1. Most likely, a boost to traps would involve changing the usage speed.
2. If they raise the power of traps to where they are useful in ordinary dungeons, they will be overpowered in those special dungeons where you sit in one room waiting for monsters to come.
3. DDO's balance is based on per-rest resources, not per-inventory resources. If traps become powerful, and the number of traps you can use per dungeon is based on how many traps you've disarmed elsewhere...

PsychoBlonde
07-23-2014, 03:56 PM
I'll take any and all trap parts off anyones hands. I love me the traps!

A rogue with the proper enhancements can solo most any dungeon this way. Takes a while, but it's easy as pie. Can't quite rememberwhich mechanic enhancement it is, but it uses your disable device score for the traps DC.

You mean Improved Traps? It says it only applies to elemental traps--i.e. the burst damage ones (which suck). Of course, that may not be accurate. I noticed they did at least change trapmaking so that you don't need Soul Gems any more (which was SO stupid). I will have to check it out.

I still want to be able to toggle it off when my bags get full.

PsychoBlonde
07-23-2014, 04:02 PM
1. Most likely, a boost to traps would involve changing the usage speed.
2. If they raise the power of traps to where they are useful in ordinary dungeons, they will be overpowered in those special dungeons where you sit in one room waiting for monsters to come.
3. DDO's balance is based on per-rest resources, not per-inventory resources. If traps become powerful, and the number of traps you can use per dungeon is based on how many traps you've disarmed elsewhere...

1. Why would they change the usage speed? That's the best limiting factor on them.
2. Good, because "defend this room" is the most godawful boring stupid quest design in this game.
3. Per-rest resources. Really. It's so nice to know that I have to rest to get back my uses of manyshot/master's blitz/quivering palm/stunning fist/cleave/power attack/adrenaline . . . you get the picture. SOME types of resources are balanced off per-rest. Some are balanced by cooldowns or charge-ups. Heck, many that are nominally per-rest have ways to make them regenerate (bard songs, turn undead attempts, spell points). About the only things that don't regenerate are barbarian rage and action boosts. And there are SP pots so technically SP is already a per-inventory system.

PsychoBlonde
07-23-2014, 04:59 PM
I just took my trapper into eE detour with some web traps I made. She's in her bargain-basement epic gear at the moment so her disable is only around 70 . . . and I was webbing CR 60 mobs with a web trap. They were NOT breaking out of it. So, yeah, apparently that "elemental traps" thing is a Big Fat Lie.

So now I have to go ask if it's WAI. But it does look like some of the CC traps could actually be worthwhile. How about that.

Esp. considering I can probably fill my inventory with the things.

MalkavianX
07-23-2014, 07:37 PM
How come there are so many parts sitting in the Auction House at pretty low prices?

2 reasons.

1. Despite my best efforts, I can't be on all the time to buy them.
2. Free is always better.

MalkavianX
07-23-2014, 07:41 PM

Because if there was a toggle, other rogues wouldn't put their parts on the ah cheap for me to buy. :rolleyes:

But I guess if people really want it, it would be added. Realistically though, I doubt they'd spend resources on it.

So, from the stand point of choice...

/signed

Still looking for free unwanted trap parts on any server. PM me here to free up inventory space now!

EllisDee37
07-23-2014, 08:39 PM
Heck, many that are nominally per-rest have ways to make them regenerate (bard songs, turn undead attempts, spell points). About the only things that don't regenerate are barbarian rage and action boosts. And there are SP pots so technically SP is already a per-inventory system.Even action boosts can now be regenerated with thunderforged. (Draconic Reinvigoration, tier 3: +1 per rest, and 2% chance to generate 1 on damage, max once per 100 seconds.)

thegreatneil
07-24-2014, 12:39 AM
I just took my trapper into eE detour with some web traps I made. She's in her bargain-basement epic gear at the moment so her disable is only around 70 . . . and I was webbing CR 60 mobs with a web trap. They were NOT breaking out of it. So, yeah, apparently that "elemental traps" thing is a Big Fat Lie.

So now I have to go ask if it's WAI. But it does look like some of the CC traps could actually be worthwhile. How about that.

Esp. considering I can probably fill my inventory with the things.

this has been like this from the enhancement pass.

Trap parts are easy to get.

the elemental traps do not scale well in epic, but the magical ones do, well the ones that work.

To the trappers out there:
Web, Hypno pattern, and glitter dust do very well.
If you want magical trap parts go to Trial by fury.
Right from the start is an opt with 2 poison traps. each gives 2-24 magical trap parts. farm them. leave - reset - repeat.
You don't even have to fight anything.