PDA

View Full Version : Spell dps Bard idea

mrunlimited
07-22-2014, 07:25 PM
Had some inspiration from another thread and came up with this build idea, let me know what you think.

Morning Lord Bard 12/ Sorc 6/Rogue 2
Str:8
Dex:16
Con:15
Int:11
Wis:8
Cha:18

Feats:
Spell focus:evocation
Maximize
Heighten
Empower
Quicken
Greater spell focus:evo
wiz past life
Epic spell focus:evo
spell focus:enchantment
greater spell focus: enchantment
Epic Spell power: sonic
Epic spell power:electricity
maybe hellball

Spell Singer enchanments: 41
First 4 cores
t1: Magical studies 3, lasting songs 3
t2: reverb 3, marigold 1,
t3:shout 3, spellsong trance, cha 1, enthrallment
t4:sustaining song, arcane might, cha 1
t5:horn of thunder 3, spellsong vigor, prodigy 2, magical studies 1

Air savant: 29
First 3 cores
t1: Spell critical, Electrocution3
t2: Spell crit, Pierce electric 3
t3: spell crit, cha
t4: spell crit, electric loop 3, cha

Morning lord:
Rejuv 2
core 1
Arcanum 3

Arcane Epic past life spell crit x3
Twists
Cocoon
Magister 3 dc
Unearthly reactions
Aria
(too lazy to think of others but probably something better out there)

ED Draconic Incarnation
Cha 1
Draconic percepton II
Cha 2
Precise Casting
Dragon Heratige III (Blue)
Piercing SpellCraft 1 or energy sheath
Energy Burst II
Dragon spell Knowledge III
Fly By Attack
Cha 3
Cha 4
Cha 5

Basically, this build spams sonic and lightning based sla's with around 40+% spell crit chance, has really good spell power for both, and evasion. Depending on tomes and stuff ill have around a 60 Cha and mid 60s evoc dc. My reflex save should be pretty good too, maybe not auto pass in ees but >50% passing rate. I havent crunched all the numbers yet but this build seems like it should be effective. For grouping, you can pick up mass hold instead and save spell points or disco ball with a reasonable dc.

mrunlimited
07-22-2014, 07:37 PM
Just as a note, the reason to be in draconic vs. exalted angel is because of the caster level bonus. Essentially with this setup, all of your sla's from both are maxed out and horn of thunder gets up to 23-24 dice so almost capped.

Nayus
07-22-2014, 09:11 PM
I'm currently playing a bard caster (melee hybrid though) and Sonic Blast + Shout leave me with around 2~3 seconds cooldown between spams which in practice translate to 1 second cooldown in twitch play (1 second is still huge....), I don't have Horn yet but I figure if I use it I would only need to cast a real spell (not sla) once in a while. I see your intention going for additional SLAs but going 29 points into Air Savant is definitely a large investment. I had that idea too but I saw Air Savant doesn't add to Sonic Spell Power and Spellsinger doesn't add to electric. You're getting some additional caster levels but you also had to give up actual caster levels for that trade.

By the way, it's nowhere near my intention to downgrade your build, I'm giving honest feedback as I am, too, passed through this stage when planning my toon. It might so happen that you took the correct route and I picked the wrong one!

Still, it's impressive to see you can max out your caster levels if you pick DA. I would highly suggest to crunch the numbers for both spell power and actual spell damage before taking any sort of caster to epic levels. I'm afraid your spells won't do enough damage but it's only speculation. How does Draconic affect your DC? Shout has a Fortitude save (which is huuuuuuuuuuuuge)

This could be an insanely power toon if I'm lucky to be incorrect and even if it isn't, as long as it catches up to a straight Sorc you'll already do very well with even more cheap SLAs, a DoT SLA combined with -10% spell cost.

mrunlimited
07-22-2014, 10:31 PM
I did the math and if need be I can break it down but its possible in this build to get around 600+ spell power in both sonic and electric.
You make a valid point that fort saves are a bit rougher than reflex but even if they save sometimes on the sonic stuff its whatever. I have since decided trying to get enchantment dcs too is a little silly so i can reallocate some stuff to make the build a little more solid. May not even "need" sorc past lives. Ultimately I may give this a go on lamia before doing it live. Worse comes to worse though i could always tr and do sorc past lives if it doesnt work!

Darconic only really gives me a solid +2 evoc dc, thus magister twist for 3 more. Also there is that thing that gives the 15% chance to lower reflex saves by 10, this would at least help on energy burst, fly by attack , horn of thunder and electric loop.

Also air savant does add to sonic spell power, 10 from each core +.75 universal for each point spent. SS adds 1 universal for each point spent

mrunlimited
07-22-2014, 11:16 PM
One more note, I am assuming that with the info on wiki that there are no bugs with things. For instance, the air cores add a caster level to lightning and sonic spells, so 3 there, the draconic adds +5 to bard and sorc levels, I get a +1 from song, and +3 to spell levels for draconic knowledge for electric spells. This means that My effective sonic spell level should be 21, and sorcerer should be 18. Electric loop caps at 10, shout at 15, sonic blast at 10, horn of thunder at 25. So horn should be around 24 and the others that are at cap get a +1 to max level even.

cru121
07-23-2014, 01:14 AM
See also http://ddowiki.com/page/Spell_Augmentation.

I was thinking about a reversed split, bard 6 for mass hold and DC increases, sorc 14 for blastification.

Shout SLA caster level will suffer though (CL11 out of 17 before gear and ED).

Caprice
07-23-2014, 02:19 PM
On my Air/Fire Sorceror I definitely get the Savant bonuses applied to my Sonic spells as well as to Lightning. Unfortunately I can't say if all the suggested sources of increased Caster Level stack.

slarden
07-23-2014, 05:15 PM
I did the math and if need be I can break it down but its possible in this build to get around 600+ spell power in both sonic and electric.

Very nice build. If you can break out the source of the spellpower it would definitely be appreciated.

I am running a bard caster build also, but something very different. I am currently running fire for energy burst primarily because I already had a ready-to-use Tier 3 fire spell power/evocation/fire lore thunderforge weapon from my fvs life.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/445520-Exalted-Bard

To put it very simply, bards are outstanding casters but it's not as much of an easy-button build that you get with swashbucklers. I find myself using ED SLAs for huge burst damage and supplementing it with my class SLAs instead of the other way around. The best DPS I get from the spellsinger tree is ironically Mass Hold which boosts my bursts against non-bosses.

The ability to have solid (but not the best) dps with cc: has been something I am really enjoying. Still I would love to try out a build with 600 spellpower.

Bards are fun again :)

mrunlimited
07-24-2014, 03:52 PM
Ok spell power break down as follows, note I am low balling a few estimates because I am lazy and do not have exact numbers on spell craft and perform. I break this down into 3 groups, sonic electric and universal. Also some of these things could be better but I think im not gonna farm an orb and 1 hander to t3 thunderforge so im just gonna gem for sonic sp

Universal: 302

Empower:75
Maximize:150
Spell Casting Implement: ~15(prolly more the higher +s you have on a weapon)
SS enhancement points: 41(1 for 1)
AS points( 21 .75 for 1)

Sonic:305

Resonance gem: 90
Aria: 60
AS cores: 30
epic spell power: 25
perform: 75
electrocution: 25

Electric:310

Thunderforge sp: 150
draconic heritage: 30
spell craft: 50

So there it is, ~600+ spell power to both. Let me know if this just inst right.

slarden
07-24-2014, 05:37 PM
Ok spell power break down as follows, note I am low balling a few estimates because I am lazy and do not have exact numbers on spell craft and perform. I break this down into 3 groups, sonic electric and universal. Also some of these things could be better but I think im not gonna farm an orb and 1 hander to t3 thunderforge so im just gonna gem for sonic sp

Universal: 302

Empower:75
Maximize:150
Spell Casting Implement: ~15(prolly more the higher +s you have on a weapon)
SS enhancement points: 41(1 for 1)
AS points( 21 .75 for 1)

Sonic:305

Resonance gem: 90
Aria: 60
perform: 75

Electric:310

Thunderforge sp: 150
draconic heritage: 30
spell craft: 50

So there it is, ~600+ spell power to both. Let me know if this just inst right.

Ah thank you that explains it. I wasn't counting empower or maximize in my calcs.

mrunlimited
08-03-2014, 11:12 PM
Bought an otto box and tr'ed my wiz into the 16 Bard/ 4 sorc build of this. Decided I would loose too many heighten dc if I didnt have access to lvl 6 bard spells. Im level 19 currently and am loving this build. I am one shotting most things in the vale explore area and in elite vale missions I crit for like half the mobs hp. I only start loosing a lot of spell points if I have to start healing the whole group through large amounts of damage. This build is fun and will continue to perform well into epics from what I can tell.

Might be rough without evasion on some missions and I may need to do an etr as a swashbuckler just to level other destiny spheres for fate points. Overall this seems like to me to be the best way to build a nuker bard. As a pure bard spell caster I think going enchantment focused with some backup spell damage is the way to go, but the 4 levels in sorc air savant really gives you an edge on spell dps as a bard. More spell crit, spell power, and an additional 2 slas in the form of electric loop and shocking grasp.