PDA

View Full Version : Is there a record of how many of our suggestions have been implemented, if any?

Certon
07-22-2014, 02:38 PM
I popped my head in from time to time to make suggestions, but then i got to wondering..just how many of these ideas has ever been implemented? any at all? or is this just the 'blow off some steam' forum?

jalont
07-22-2014, 03:03 PM
I popped my head in from time to time to make suggestions, but then i got to wondering..just how many of these ideas has ever been implemented? any at all? or is this just the 'blow off some steam' forum?

You just have to read Lam forums to see what suggestions are taken into consideration. On average though, players are horrible game designers so it only makes sense that their suggestions are ignored. There's other blanket suggestions, like needing more storage space, that the devs are giving us little by little, but it's obvious that there are technical limitations to this.

Seikojin
07-22-2014, 03:11 PM
Log intot he game to find out. Some form or another, many players ideas make it into the game. Not in the direct form so far.

Vargouille
07-22-2014, 04:21 PM
Tons of changes to DDO have originated as player ideas, directly or indirectly. If you look at the changes in DDO, it's probably a much bigger portion than you would guess. We don't go out of our way to track where each and every idea came from, and of course many similar ideas often come from many different people.

For instance, if you look at any particular recent Bard Enhancement change, and all the iterations from Player's Council and Lamannia versions: Most of the enhancements have probably been suggested by one player or another in some form, if you look back at the forum history on DDO (or live events, etc.) The exact details with every SP cost and cooldown and location in the trees are probably not identical to any particular suggestion, which often leaves out those details, but that's to be expected.

If you go the other way and try to see how many suggestions have been implemented, that's probably going to look like a worse ratio. There's a lot of players with a lot of (often contradictory) suggestions, and it's much easier to suggest than to actually implement, so naturally there are many more suggestions than changes, period (whether you are looking at ones that relate to player produced ideas or not).

Tolero also mentioned that many store items have come from players saying, "Boy, I'd really like this <thing>!"

patang01
07-22-2014, 05:44 PM
Tons of changes to DDO have originated as player ideas, directly or indirectly. If you look at the changes in DDO, it's probably a much bigger portion than you would guess. We don't go out of our way to track where each and every idea came from, and of course many similar ideas often come from many different people.

For instance, if you look at any particular recent Bard Enhancement change, and all the iterations from Player's Council and Lamannia versions: Most of the enhancements have probably been suggested by one player or another in some form, if you look back at the forum history on DDO (or live events, etc.) The exact details with every SP cost and cooldown and location in the trees are probably not identical to any particular suggestion, which often leaves out those details, but that's to be expected.

If you go the other way and try to see how many suggestions have been implemented, that's probably going to look like a worse ratio. There's a lot of players with a lot of (often contradictory) suggestions, and it's much easier to suggest than to actually implement, so naturally there are many more suggestions than changes, period (whether you are looking at ones that relate to player produced ideas or not).

Tolero also mentioned that many store items have come from players saying, "Boy, I'd really like this <thing>!"

Thank you for listening. It has restored my faith in this game. Turbines willingness to work with the community is what made me do the 15 month subscription.

Samir_Bennal
07-22-2014, 06:21 PM

I was one of the first, if not the first, people to suggest being able to name airships when they very first came out. I suggested it to Fernando when he was around and he said it was a good idea. It may have taken a couple years but it is here now. (Just to clarify I am not taking full credit for us having ship names now. Just contributed.):cool:

LordDunmore
07-22-2014, 06:28 PM
Shortly after I made a suggestion in the forums to change the "Teleport to Crafting Hall" from house K to C, it was in an update. The timing of it was just too good for me to not jokingly take credit for that :)

But seriously, I read a lot in the Lam forum on the Bard changes, and one of the big things people asked was for a "DOT" spell -- and it was put in.

Bottom line, Turbine does listen to our suggestions.

Ovrad
07-22-2014, 06:47 PM

Boy, I'd really like more Monster Manuals!

...too on the nose? :)

brian14
07-22-2014, 06:50 PM

Seconded!

ssgcmwatson
07-22-2014, 06:50 PM
A while back we suggested letting drow choose where to put there enhancement stat points (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/316256-Drow-racial-enhancments) and it came to pass in the enhancement revamp.

sirgog
07-22-2014, 07:35 PM

Although he no longer works for Turbine, Genasi had a reputation of implementing a lot of player suggestions.

While the items no longer serve any real role at the level 28 cap, when the cap was 20, I made extensive suggestions to fix up the rubbish items in the more 'entry to endgame' epic quest chains (many of which suffered from being similar to, but worse than, Shroud items), and a good number of them were implemented or at least considered.

Even though I'm on hiatus from the game now (although I do follow it still), the PRR changes coming up are similar to something I suggested too.

The_Human_Cypher
07-22-2014, 08:36 PM

/signed

RTN
07-22-2014, 10:13 PM
A very long time ago, I sent a PM to a developer and suggested that Smoked Ham get renamed to Kargon's Tasty Ham in honor of Kargon and his hilarious posts.

Thar
07-22-2014, 10:36 PM
[I]

Boy, I'd really like them not to mess with my light armor evasion tank using heavy shields.

ForgettableNPC
07-22-2014, 11:44 PM
I still try to suggest Joke Weapons in hopes that one day they get implemented.

Been running out of ideas lately, though...

Dagolar
07-23-2014, 06:04 AM
Boy, I'd really like them not to mess with my light armor evasion tank using heavy shields.

Reconsider your build with the new SWF, swashbuckler, and other traits.

It's not losing out for the loss of higher tier shields, except perhaps by comparison [to standard tanks]*.

*Which is the intent, rather.

Seconded!
[n+1]ed.

It's really an iffy thing for me to promote, since I have yet to buy the last two [wondering if they'll EVER go on sale], but I love the overall concept, at the least.

And, y'know. If they do go on sale, it's a mass purchase.

I still try to suggest Joke Weapons in hopes that one day they get implemented.

Been running out of ideas lately, though...

Shield that has a very small chance on-being-hit to summon from a selection of creatures, ala Eidolon; Typically less potent than Eidolon, and lower proc rate, but no timer cap [basically an improved, more randomized Ooze Guard]. Very small chance of summoning a particularily good pet. Very small chance of summoning 2d6+2 screaming kobolds that rush off with humorous text quotes ["Must smash big box! Where big box!" "AHHHH, how kobold get here! Kobold was in bath!" "Oh no, not again!"].
I call it "Fool's Portal".

No?

Okay. How about a potion that spawns a shadowed dancing version of the target when it's thrown at and hits them?
Public usable, obviously; uses class pet slot to avoid massive spamming lag issues.

Kargon's Extra Tasty Ham: Improved heal rate, plus "The smell of this ham is so good, you generate an additional 100% threat while you heal from it."

Packrat creature companion. It's a rat. With a pack on its back.
Oi.

Big Box Cosmetic Armor: Generates 800% threat from kobolds while worn [sets threat to 800, thus locking out all other +threat abilities in regards to kobolds]. [Also makes you look like a hobo.] [Could make for an excellent docent. Warforged are halfway there already anyway.]

The Spoon: "What does The Spoon do? Who knows!" Trinket: Your attacks have a (1%) chance to inflict Wonderous Power upon your opponent. You have a (2%) chance to have Wonderous Power cast upon you when struck by an opponent. Whenever you heal from a healing item [potion, jerky, etc] you heal an additional 1d2HP per character level. This bonus is tripled when the incoming healing is from a ham.

[Wonderous Power basically similar to Potions of Wonder, but favorable in regards to enemy debuff/damage, and self benefit. Still has access to full scope though, just adjusted chances.]

Relem
07-23-2014, 08:01 AM

Really, well in that case... Boy, I really could do with the with the Red Airship Hull paint to be red instead of pink.

ForgettableNPC
07-23-2014, 09:46 AM
Shield that has a very small chance on-being-hit to summon from a selection of creatures, ala Eidolon; Typically less potent than Eidolon, and lower proc rate, but no timer cap [basically an improved, more randomized Ooze Guard]. Very small chance of summoning a particularily good pet. Very small chance of summoning 2d6+2 screaming kobolds that rush off with humorous text quotes ["Must smash big box! Where big box!" "AHHHH, how kobold get here! Kobold was in bath!" "Oh no, not again!"].
I call it "Fool's Portal".

No?

Okay. How about a potion that spawns a shadowed dancing version of the target when it's thrown at and hits them?
Public usable, obviously; uses class pet slot to avoid massive spamming lag issues.

Kargon's Extra Tasty Ham: Improved heal rate, plus "The smell of this ham is so good, you generate an additional 100% threat while you heal from it."

Packrat creature companion. It's a rat. With a pack on its back.
Oi.

Big Box Cosmetic Armor: Generates 800% threat from kobolds while worn [sets threat to 800, thus locking out all other +threat abilities in regards to kobolds]. [Also makes you look like a hobo.] [Could make for an excellent docent. Warforged are halfway there already anyway.]

The Spoon: "What does The Spoon do? Who knows!" Trinket: Your attacks have a (1%) chance to inflict Wonderous Power upon your opponent. You have a (2%) chance to have Wonderous Power cast upon you when struck by an opponent. Whenever you heal from a healing item [potion, jerky, etc] you heal an additional 1d2HP per character level. This bonus is tripled when the incoming healing is from a ham.

[Wonderous Power basically similar to Potions of Wonder, but favorable in regards to enemy debuff/damage, and self benefit. Still has access to full scope though, just adjusted chances.]

Interesting ideas, but I personally like to make Joke Weapons have little to no benefits at all, mostly causing hindrances or just having hilarious effects that has almost no effect on the actual combat system whatsoever.

Like a bottle that casts Glitterdust every time it's thrown, and can be used infinitely.

Or a mop that releases Grease everywhere.

Or a scepter that summons Frogs out of nowhere for no reason.

Although I do like the idea of summoning yelping Kobolds that run around and do nothing but scream hilariously.

Ancient
07-23-2014, 10:27 AM
Boy, I'd really like a lesser reinc to change races.

Boy, I'd really like a do-over reinc that just lets me go back to level 1 (15 for iconics) and start over. No credit/pastlives/anything, just a chance to rescue a toon that I no longer enjoy playing and is stuck.

Boy, I'd really like a lesser reinc that let me change alignment as part of the process.

droid327
07-23-2014, 11:54 AM

You do know why that's not going to happen though, right? They have to manually go through every quest and adventure zone in the database and add, by hand (and without error), every relevant-typed monster to every MM, every time they add new quests or change old ones. And every new MM they add will only multiply the workload for keeping them all up-to-date with new content.

Derana
07-25-2014, 06:00 AM

They are not really worth buying (unless you are a vip and get access to them for free) because the companions are always also sold individually on the store. The tp/astral shard rewards are one time only so they don't make up for the price of the manual upgrade (595 TP if i remember correctly). I farmed the wraith companion and it took me 40h of ddo play time to get it only to find out that the wraith companion is sold during mabar only 6 months later. Sure it has a different color but what does it even matter to put effort and farm the MM companions if you can buy them for TP later? Sure, the exp is alright but i can live very happily without 3k MM xp.

Unless they stop selling MM companions individually on the TP store, I won't buy MM upgrades.

Rull
07-25-2014, 08:54 AM
They are not really worth buying (unless you are a vip and get access to them for free) because the companions are always also sold individually on the store. The tp/astral shard rewards are one time only so they don't make up for the price of the manual upgrade (595 TP if i remember correctly). I farmed the wraith companion and it took me 40h of ddo play time to get it only to find out that the wraith companion is sold during mabar only 6 months later. Sure it has a different color but what does it even matter to put effort and farm the MM companions if you can buy them for TP later? Sure, the exp is alright but i can live very happily without 3k MM xp.

Unless they stop selling MM companions individually on the TP store, I won't buy MM upgrades.

I bought them just to see the exact monster HP value in the inspect window, I hardly even noticed the other features (never used a companion for more than 5 minutes)

Toro12
07-25-2014, 10:48 PM
I can say with absolute certainty that they do implement ideas from the forums.
I posted something a couple years back and it got included in the update following my suggestion.

It wasn't anything big , very minor in fact. So minor I can't remember what it was. But I know I was very excited when I was playing and noticed the change.