PDA

View Full Version : Newbie game setting question (RAM)

Rakuda13
07-19-2014, 04:31 AM
I have been playing DDO for three years using very low setting. I just upgraded from 2GB to 8GB of RAM. What game settings can I change now if any to enjoy the game more.
I have almost no PC knowledge so any advice is welcome,Thanks in advance

Demarill
07-19-2014, 04:34 AM
think most of them depend on your graphics card, try clicking detect optimal settings

Toro12
07-19-2014, 08:20 AM
Echoing above the amount of system RAM you have will have minimal effect on your gaming performance.
Unless you are using an onboard video chip that shares system ram. In which case you would need to go in to the bios to change the amount of system ram available to the on board graphics.

Usually this is a very limited amount so if the amount on shared ram isn't maxed already maxed it probably won't go much higher and will still only show a minor improvement , in most cases.

kauetomaz
07-19-2014, 08:23 AM
hmmm more RAM, now your client will be able to eat up even more of your resources

<still complaining about memory leaks that make no sense>
</rant off>

Toro12
07-19-2014, 08:33 AM
The other small improvement in gaming you might be able to get from system ram is being able to reduce or even completely turn off your paging file.
Paging file is what the computer uses as an overflow home for your ram. It is basically a small section of your hard drive that stores info so your ram can access it faster. If you have enough ram you can avoid having to have the system go through the relatively slow process of pulling from the page file.

If you use you system a lot for other things and not just gaming I don't suggest changing your page file settings.

But sometimes by forcing the system ram to load as much of the data as possible it can give a slight performance increase that maybe be just enough to allow a graphical setting to be increased slightly.

Over all is tweaking the page file worth it ? No not really, but it is an option.

Rakuda13
07-19-2014, 10:36 AM
Good advice from all of you,Seems not much can really be improved. I have notice i can switch characters without crashing now,thats very helpful. Going to leave my settings the way they are.
Thanks again to everybody,learned a bit tonight.