PDA

View Full Version : Returning Player White Fang Build Help

drnknmnky
07-18-2014, 11:16 AM
Hi everybody! I am a returning (for the 2nd time) new player. I was in a guild on my last go around and with help of this forum and them to group with I had a lot of fun, but that was 2011 and now they are gone and I feel like a newb all over again. I was able to follow a build all the way up to 17th level and was just wondering if some one could revise that build for me with the things that have changed in the last 3 years. I am currently a Half-Orc 14 ranger/ 2 fighter/ 1 rogue. The build is called White Fang and was made by Luckness.

I have a regular heart of wood and a 20+ heart of wood if they are necessary. I had a bunch of turbine points left over from last time so I just ate a supreme +4 tome. I had to pick enhancements and I am sure I made mistakes. Right away I notice that while I am fighting I cant cast spells because of rage, which is coming from either my items, feats , or enhancements or all of the above, but I can cast buffs before the fight and heal after which is working pretty well. My gear seems ok but out dated. I have no idea what to look for as far as upgrades. It was great running with those guys but almost a negative because I just killed stuff and followed them which didn't really teach me a lot I guess.

I just want to get this guy to 20 and get more favor. I have 1200 favor right now. Sorry this isn't well layed out like all the posts I see on here. I will do some research on how to make better posts. Thanks for any help!

Mnky

drnknmnky
07-18-2014, 11:25 AM
Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.9.1
DDO Character Planner Home Page

White Fang the 32 point H-Orc
Level 20 True Neutral Half-Orc Male
(4 Fighter \ 1 Rogue \ 15 Ranger)
Hit Points: 308
Spell Points: 245
BAB: 19\19\24\29\29
Fortitude: 16
Reflex: 15
Will: 6

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(32 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)
Strength 20 30
Dexterity 12 16
Constitution 14 16
Intelligence 12 14
Wisdom 8 10
Charisma 6 8

Tomes Used
+1 Tome of Dexterity used at level 1
+2 Tome of Strength used at level 7
+2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 7
+2 Tome of Constitution used at level 7
+2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 7
+2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 7
+2 Tome of Charisma used at level 7

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 20)
Balance 5 7
Bluff -2 -1
Concentration 2 3
Diplomacy -2 -1
Disable Device 5 25
Haggle 2 3
Heal -1 0
Hide 1 3
Intimidate -2 -1
Jump 9 14
Listen -1 0
Move Silently 1 3
Open Lock 5 16
Perform n/a n/a
Repair 1 2
Search 5 25
Spot 3 21
Swim 5 10
Tumble 5 7
Use Magic Device 2 22

Level 1 (Rogue)
Skill: Balance (+4)
Skill: Disable Device (+4)
Skill: Haggle (+4)
Skill: Jump (+4)
Skill: Open Lock (+4)
Skill: Search (+4)
Skill: Spot (+4)
Skill: Tumble (+4)
Skill: Use Magic Device (+4)
Feat: (Selected) Power Attack

Level 2 (Fighter)
Skill: Disable Device (+1)
Skill: Use Magic Device (+0.5)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Dodge

Level 3 (Fighter)
Skill: Use Magic Device (+0.5)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Mobility
Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 4 (Ranger)
Skill: Search (+3)
Skill: Spot (+2)
Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Undead

Level 5 (Ranger)
Skill: Search (+1)
Skill: Spot (+2)
Skill: Use Magic Device (+1)

Level 6 (Ranger)
Skill: Spot (+1)
Skill: Use Magic Device (+1.5)
Feat: (Selected) Spring Attack

Level 7 (Ranger)

Level 8 (Ranger)
Skill: Open Lock (+0.5)
Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Elemental

Level 9 (Ranger)
Skill: Open Lock (+0.5)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons

Level 10 (Ranger)
Skill: Open Lock (+1)

Level 11 (Ranger)

Level 12 (Ranger)
Feat: (Selected) Maximize Spell

Level 13 (Ranger)
Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Evil Outsider

Level 14 (Ranger)

Level 15 (Ranger)
Feat: (Selected) Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Khopesh

Level 16 (Ranger)

Level 17 (Ranger)

Level 18 (Fighter)
Feat: (Selected) Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons

Level 19 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Weapon Specialization: Slashing Weapons

Level 20 (Ranger)
Skill: Search (+3)
Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Construct
Enhancement: Fighter Haste Boost I
Enhancement: Fighter Haste Boost II
Enhancement: Ranger Skill Boost I
Enhancement: Ranger Skill Boost II
Enhancement: Ranger Skill Boost III
Enhancement: Ranger Sprint Boost I
Enhancement: Orcish Extra Action Boost I
Enhancement: Orcish Extra Action Boost II
Enhancement: Orcish Extra Action Boost III
Enhancement: Orcish Fury I
Enhancement: Orcish Power Attack I
Enhancement: Orcish Power Attack II
Enhancement: Orcish Power Attack III
Enhancement: Orcish Strength I
Enhancement: Orcish Strength II
Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
Enhancement: Ranger Favored Attack I
Enhancement: Ranger Favored Damage I
Enhancement: Ranger Favored Damage II
Enhancement: Ranger Favored Damage III
Enhancement: Ranger Favored Damage IV
Enhancement: Ranger Favored Resistance I
Enhancement: Ranger Tempest I
Enhancement: Ranger Tempest II
Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Training I
Enhancement: Ranger Devotion I
Enhancement: Ranger Devotion II
Enhancement: Ranger Devotion III
Enhancement: Ranger Devotion IV
Enhancement: Ranger Energy of the Wild I
Enhancement: Ranger Energy of the Wild II
Enhancement: Ranger Energy of the Wild III
Enhancement: Ranger Dexterity I
Enhancement: Ranger Dexterity II
Enhancement: Fighter Strength I
Enhancement: Fighter Toughness I
Enhancement: Fighter Toughness II
Enhancement: Rogue Improved Trap Sense I
That's it!

EllisDee37
07-18-2014, 01:24 PM
That build is pretty good through level 17. You no longer need the dodge/mobility/spring attack line, but all three of those feats give you dodge bonus so they're fine. You also don't need toughness, but there's no harm in taking it.

The 18 and 19 feats in the build are awful, though. (Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization.) Take Cleave and Great Cleave instead. Otherwise, from a stats, skills and feats perspective you're in good shape.

For enhancements, check out the Tempest Trapmonkey link in my signature. It's a very similar build to yours, so you'll likely want similar enhancements.

Since your build is pretty decent through 17, I would hold onto the free LR+20 you have for a rainy day. (Namely, save it to use for a "free" past life for a life you otherwise wouldn't want to run.)

Mercureal
07-18-2014, 01:26 PM
Hey there,

A 15/4/1 build isn't bad, so if you want to rebuild I'd suggest using the normal heart. Then get to 20, start getting epic experience and epic destinies (more about that here, in case it's unfamiliar to you: http://ddowiki.com/page/Epic_Destinies). At that point, you can think about what to do next with your character, maybe stay at epic levels, get some tokens and so a second life for your character, or even use the +20 heart if you don't like the build and don't want to level up a new life.

Now, as to the build choices for your current life - I don't have time to lay out a full list, but I can give a quick overview.

Skill points are good, although you might want to put points in the Heal skill as it now boosts the power of your healing spells.

Enhancements need to be redone, but that's straightforward and only requires you to spend some platinum (and the first reset for you is likely free, since you were away). The question about where to put your points centres around how you want to play your character, mostly melee, mostly ranged, and a good mix of both. I'd suggest looking at the descriptions of the new enhancements trees on the wiki: http://ddowiki.com/page/Enhancements.

The key difference now is that there are no general class enhancements, everything is located in a specific tree related to a prestige concept for that class. So, unlike previously where you could only have abilities from one Ranger prestige (e.g. Tempest), now you can take some Tempest abilities and some Arcane Archer, and some Deepwood Sniper. And if you don't like a specific ability, you can always reset your enhancements and pick something new.

Feats probably need some work. Another change related to the new enhancement system is that you generally don't need particular feats to qualify for a prestige. You can get Tempest abilities without the Dodge/Mobility/Spring Attack line, for example. And while those feats have some use still, you may not want them, or not want all of them. The Fighter weapon feats (focus, specialization) are pretty weak now too and may be worth ditching. newly popular combat feats include Cleave, Great Cleave, and Precision, depending on the build.

Hope this is helpful, and I'll try to find time later or over the weekend to post some more specific build suggestions, if someone else hasn't already done so in the meantime.

EllisDee37
07-18-2014, 01:41 PM
One more minor tweak:

Using the free feat exchange you get from the Hall of the Mark quest, exchange Maximize Spell for Empower Healing Spell. Empower Healing is cheaper, but it also works on Rejuvenation Cocoon (an epic destiny ability you'll want to twist in from Primal Avatar) which Maximize does not.

If you already used your free feat exchange, I'd say just pay for it using siberys shards and plat.

drnknmnky
07-18-2014, 10:58 PM
So, its kind of funny, but when I first found I had to pick enhancements, I did find the trapmonkey in your sig thru the forums and did kind of follow it. However, the half-orc enhancemenst I picked was the first 4 core and 3 levels of will save. Not sure if I should pick any others. Since this guy will be 4 levels of fighter and a lot of the half orc enhancements don't fit, can u give me suggestions. What are the good choices in the kensai tree? Also, I DID choose empower instead of maximize as I was leveling so I do not have to change that. If I choose cleave and great cleave, I wont have precision or quicken but it looks like precision wouldn't work for me anyway because like I said.. something is making me rage during battles. (orcish fury?)

Should I swap out spring attack or mobility or both? Is anything so much better that I need them?

I wish I could just link my character here so you could see my gear. When I searched the auction house I see items with speed instead of striding, I am wearing mithral and I didn't even see any mithral as light armor in auction house. Is there a guide to catch me up to speed on some of this stuff? Thanks again for the help and I feel my BUILD is ok from your responses and maybe with some gear changes I will be ok.

unbongwah
07-19-2014, 02:14 PM
Just posted an elf rgr 15 / ftr 4 / rog 1 build here (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/444935-Ranger12-Fighter6-Rogue2?p=5382561&viewfull=1#post5382561). The conversion to HO should be a simple one: instead of Precision / Least DM / Extend, take the Power Atk / CL / GC chain; and take Overwhelming Crit instead of Combat Archery.

drnknmnky
07-21-2014, 11:38 AM
I just wanted to say thanks for the responses guys. I finally am about to hit 20 for the first time!! After a few days of reading guides, posts, and the DDO wiki.... this game is just nuts. Looks like TWF is no longer cool, its either THF or some crazy multi-shot shuriken build, or maybe its bastard sword or dwarven axe SWF with rune arms. All I know for sure is how much I do not know.

You know what would be cool? If some of you insanely knowledgeable and helpful players would actually do in game teaching sessions. Like what are must have items, build advice, how to use clickies, what ac or save levels to shoot for at what level, what to auction and what to vendor, crafting, augments, space management, etc.

Mercureal
07-22-2014, 06:12 PM
I just wanted to say thanks for the responses guys. I finally am about to hit 20 for the first time!! After a few days of reading guides, posts, and the DDO wiki.... this game is just nuts. Looks like TWF is no longer cool, its either THF or some crazy multi-shot shuriken build, or maybe its bastard sword or dwarven axe SWF with rune arms. All I know for sure is how much I do not know.

You know what would be cool? If some of you insanely knowledgeable and helpful players would actually do in game teaching sessions. Like what are must have items, build advice, how to use clickies, what ac or save levels to shoot for at what level, what to auction and what to vendor, crafting, augments, space management, etc.

TWF is still very good, and the best option for single-target damage, other things equal, but there are a variety of good weapon-DPS options, it's true.

The idea of in-game training is nice in theory, but probably difficult to manage in practice, in any kind of consistent and ongoing manner: hard to promote, hard to organize, and hard to get players to spend their in-game time on training, rather than pursuing their own entertainment goals.

That said, there is a fair amount of ad hoc assistance that happens: some quest and raid training runs for newbies, a loose group of high-level crafters who'll make items for players who need them, and a dedicated chat help channel on at least one server (Sarlona, I think).