PDA

View Full Version : Current State of Pale Master Immunities

changelingamuck
07-17-2014, 08:18 PM
Can anyone list the effects that Pale Masters are currently immune to at this point (e.g. blindness, fear effects, stuns, level drain, insta-kills, enchantment spells, natural, magical, or supernatural diseases and poisons)? The wiki page for the pale master enhancement tree just directs you to an "Undead Traits (http://ddowiki.com/page/Undead_traits#Traits)" page which lists immunities of undead mobs. Which is irrelevant to pale masters since I know there are differences in their immunities compared to undead mobs' immunities.

I know it's against forum rules to post anything informative instead of the ubiquitous wailing and gnashing of teeth about "the devs", but I'm crossing my fingers here. Help a brother out plz.

EDIT:

List of Immunities

All Enchantment Spells & Effects
Most Stun Effects
Most Blinding Effects
Poisons that are typed as "natural", Poison Damage from Spell Wards and Green Dragons' poison dot
Diseases that are typed as "natural"
Level Drain
Death Effects (I'm assuming this means instakill death spells only. What about non-spell instakills?)
Fear Effects (other than from the spell Chill Touch)
Negative Energy Damage
The spells Burning Blood and Horrid Wilting

List of Susceptibilities

Ability Damage (can be healed by both harm and lessor restoration potions now, Circle of Hatred (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Circle_of_Hatred) is the only item with a harm clicky)
Stuns from the spell Power Word: Stun and the Marut Strike stun
Blindness from the spell Power Word: Blind and Marut blinding strike
Poisons that are typed as "supernatural" (do they get a saving throw bonus at least?)
Diseases that are typed as "supernatural" (again, do they get a saving throw bonus at least?)
Petrification

List of Effects that aren't confirmed in this thread for Pale Masters being Immune or Susceptible

Poisons that are typed as "magical"
Diseases that are typed as "magical"

EllisDee37
07-17-2014, 08:40 PM
Pale Masters in form are immune to:

All enchantments (hold, sleep, command, dancing, etc...)
Level Drain
Death effects
Stun
Blindness (I think)
Fear (sometimes bugged)
Negative Energy (it may even heal you)

Pale Masters in form are NOT immune to:

Poison
Disease (I think)
Stat damage (usually from poison and disease)

To remove stat damage, pale masters can be Harmed by a divine caster or by UMDing a (rare) Harm scroll.

Thalone
07-17-2014, 09:03 PM
I've been blinded on my PM... I think mainly the Marut at the end of VoN 3 bypasses the immunity somehow. Its stun attack also bypasses the immunity (as does the boss mechanic in Prove Your Worth). I think a small number of enemies who have Severe Stunning Blow also bypass PM stun immunity.

When affected by fear, it seems to be mainly from enemy spells like Chill Touch, which specifically target undead.

I'm unsure whether undead in general are immune to Flesh to Stone, but PMs are not.

Trillea
07-17-2014, 09:10 PM
I'm unsure whether undead in general are immune to Flesh to Stone, but PMs are not.

Fleshy undead are not immune. I used it on zombies sometimes.

FAQ
07-17-2014, 09:31 PM
To remove stat damage, pale masters can be Harmed by a divine caster or by UMDing a (rare) Harm scroll.

For the sake of completeness there is also Harm from Circle of Hatred (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Circle_of_Hatred)

The Abbot raid in general is a Pale Master's haven :)

changelingamuck
07-17-2014, 10:24 PM
Pale Masters in form are immune to:

All enchantments (hold, sleep, command, dancing, etc...)
Level Drain
Death effects
Stun
Blindness (I think)
Fear (sometimes bugged)
Negative Energy (it may even heal you)

Pale Masters in form are NOT immune to:

Poison
Disease (I think)
Stat damage (usually from poison and disease)

Okay, anyone know if they get bonuses to saving throws vs. poison and/or disease then?

I've been blinded on my PM... I think mainly the Marut at the end of VoN 3 bypasses the immunity somehow. Its stun attack also bypasses the immunity (as does the boss mechanic in Prove Your Worth). I think a small number of enemies who have Severe Stunning Blow also bypass PM stun immunity.

When affected by fear, it seems to be mainly from enemy spells like Chill Touch, which specifically target undead.

While trying to figure all this out, I read a couple posts about people crafting GS with blindness immunity specifically for palemaster characters, but the posts were 2-3 years old. Thanks for confirming that they're still susceptible to blindness. And stun apparently.

I'm editing the first post to add a list of immunities and susceptibilities that people list.

slarden
07-17-2014, 10:29 PM

Or you can just use lesser restoration pots which started working on PMs a few releases ago.

changelingamuck
07-17-2014, 10:46 PM
Or you can just use lesser restoration pots which started working on PMs a few releases ago.

Didn't know this. Thanks. It's noted in the first post now.

Alternative
07-18-2014, 12:45 AM
It's easier to name stuff that pale masters are susceptible to:

Stun - ONLY power word stun and maybe marut strike stun, no other stuns work, not stunning blow, not symbol, not soundburst
Blindness - again, power word blind works, which is rarely used and even that sometimes seems to bounce off (try end fight in the Cursed Crypt to see power word blind), marut blinding strike
Poison and Disease - with motu we got those divided into natural (spiders) magical (spells) and supernatural (bosses, like the Spinner) Pale masters are immune to first, or first two categories, they ARE immune to poison spell ward poison damage, poison dot of a green dragon, those are the ones I notice mostly
Fear - the ONLY fear that works is chill touch spell (for example, used by casters in Black Loch or tiefling wizards in Shavarath) also Aurgolarasa has a sort of halt undead spell

Pale Masters are not immune to Flesh to Stone, but are immune to Burning Blood and Horrid Wilting

changelingamuck
07-18-2014, 01:46 PM

Stun - ONLY power word stun and maybe marut strike stun, no other stuns work, not stunning blow, not symbol, not soundburst
Blindness - again, power word blind works, which is rarely used and even that sometimes seems to bounce off (try end fight in the Cursed Crypt to see power word blind), marut blinding strike
Poison and Disease - with motu we got those divided into natural (spiders) magical (spells) and supernatural (bosses, like the Spinner) Pale masters are immune to first, or first two categories, they ARE immune to poison spell ward poison damage, poison dot of a green dragon, those are the ones I notice mostly
Fear - the ONLY fear that works is chill touch spell (for example, used by casters in Black Loch or tiefling wizards in Shavarath) also Aurgolarasa has a sort of halt undead spell

Pale Masters are not immune to Flesh to Stone, but are immune to Burning Blood and Horrid Wilting

Noted. Ty.

Anyone know if Pale Masters are affected by poisons and diseases typed as "magical"? Or if they are affected by them, but receive saving throw bonuses against them and also possibly against "supernatural" poisons and diseases?

Eth
07-21-2014, 08:20 AM
Aurgolarasa has a sort of halt undead spell

It's her dragon breath. Getting hit by it while in undead form acts like a halt undead. It also prevents you from healing with negative energy for 40ish seconds. The description of the debuff is also kind of funny, practically saying Aurgolarasa is a better necromancer than you are.

changelingamuck
10-09-2014, 06:31 PM

So, does the blindness immunity item enchantment block Power Word: Blind and Marut Blinding Strikes? I'm asking because I'm wondering if there's any benefit to pale masters equipping blindness immunity items.