PDA

View Full Version : just about to hit 20 - epic xp questions

Xirxx
07-03-2014, 10:54 AM
I am about to hit level 20 this weekend and noticed there are not that many epic quests and quite a lot of XP required to rank up. What are the most optimal quests to run - solo, if possible? Are there limits to how many times you can run an epic quest?

Thanks!

JamesNiels
07-03-2014, 11:08 AM
Wiz king EN. Depending on group but can be done in under 15 mins for almost 100k
Von3 still good for xp even after the xp nerf. Guessing it should be around 80-100k depending on the optionals that spawn.
Throug a mirror darkly i run twice a day. Its a lvl 26 quest so min level 22 required. Me and 2 guildies ran this in 5 min 14 seconds once for 65k xp.
I also like the quests than can be invised mostly: friends in low places, von4. Also von2 is not bad.
I would add devil assault to the list. The xp is not bad but dont run it! It is super super boring....

Running a quest on epic starts ransack just like heroic quests. 20% per run subtracted from base xp. Regenerating with 50% each 18 hours or so.

hp1055cm
07-03-2014, 11:42 AM
I am about to hit level 20 this weekend and noticed there are not that many epic quests and quite a lot of XP required to rank up. What are the most optimal quests to run - solo, if possible? Are there limits to how many times you can run an epic quest?

Thanks!

There are more than enough quests if you have access to them and run most of them above EN.
The first few levels actually go by pretty fast especially if you do any of the explorer/slayer areas (which are great for leveling up when you are off-destiny).

The Carnival Chain and Sentinels Chain are supposedly the lowest Epic level quests so these are a good place to start if you don't have great gear. (Storm the Beaches has insta-kill ballistas so be wary of those).
After that the LOD chain, VON chain, Red Fens, Sands and get started on MOTU.

Gianthold and 3BC can wait until you are above level 24.

Not sure about Shadowfell quests since I don't own that one.

***Also, choose the Druid Destiny Primal Avatar first so you can get Cocoon early. Once you choose a Destiny it limits how you can switch among the others.

phillymiket
07-03-2014, 11:51 AM

Thanks!

Maybe mention what packs you have.

You are a founder so that suggests many packs, but you just hit 20 so that suggests few packs.

Come to think of it, whats up with that? :-D

You are now a mystery to me and I must know your whole life story.

Seikojin
07-03-2014, 12:05 PM
Honestly, there are a few quests that give great exp and are great to grind on. Von3,4 and spies in the house. All can be helped by invising to bypass boring combat that isn't crucial, and von3 and spies have great optionals that are easy to obtain. I do those 3 every day as I grind epic exp for destinies.

Additionally from above really: wiz king is good exp and has strong optionals; just longer than von3 and 4 (combined if you invis run von 3 and 4). Von 5 gives large amounts of exp.

If I have time after running my daily 3, I look for von 5 (when off timer), DA, or chrono (when off timer). Those typically are manageable no matter your build, can be fast, fun, and offer gains not only in exp, but enough vendor loot to help top off your coffers.

After getting to the right level, I add haunted halls tot he mix. There are tons of optionals in there, pretty high end loot, and with a group the quest can be fun and manageable.

count_spicoli
07-03-2014, 12:13 PM
Why solo? You can usually join groups and speed blast quests for fast xp/min. Soloing may be why you are just now getting to 20 and been playing since 2006. The whole motu chain is quick easy xp and von3 and wiz king are good. Can't remember what level you have to be for stormhorns but what goes up nets about 200k but is challenging solo. There plenty of stuff to get you to w8.

Kylstrem
07-03-2014, 12:45 PM
Honestly, there are a few quests that give great exp and are great to grind on. Von3,4 and spies in the house. All can be helped by invising to bypass boring combat that isn't crucial, and von3 and spies have great optionals that are easy to obtain. I do those 3 every day as I grind epic exp for destinies.

Additionally from above really: wiz king is good exp and has strong optionals; just longer than von3 and 4 (combined if you invis run von 3 and 4). Von 5 gives large amounts of exp.

If I have time after running my daily 3, I look for von 5 (when off timer), DA, or chrono (when off timer). Those typically are manageable no matter your build, can be fast, fun, and offer gains not only in exp, but enough vendor loot to help top off your coffers.

After getting to the right level, I add haunted halls tot he mix. There are tons of optionals in there, pretty high end loot, and with a group the quest can be fun and manageable.

You don't mention Through a Mirror Darkly... Great XP, and it's really quick once you know the route. Faster than VON3/VON4.

Xirxx
07-03-2014, 01:07 PM
Well, for my history - I was in beta for DDO and played until level cap was 14.

other games captured my interest and the rest is history. I have recently come back and I do have the VIP subscription - so I guess I have all packs.

I will check out through a mirror darkly but I never ran it in heroic.

Vellrad
07-03-2014, 01:16 PM
According to forum people, way to play game above lvl20:

von3 twice, von5 twice (no 6), spies twice, wizking twice, imposible demands twice, rusted blades twice, they log back at the next day to do the same, because its fastest XP.

After you're lvl28, come to forum to whine on turbine that you don't have enough comms to reincarnate.

Saekee
07-03-2014, 01:28 PM
Are you a stealthy build? If so, you can stealth most of: Bargain of Blood to end fight, Spies in the House, Old Tomb, new tenants (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/444079-Stealth-Old-Tomb-New-Tenants) (Garl) in 3BC, Claw of Vulkoor, Tide Turns, Impossible Demands, Deal and the Demon--lots more to add, just off the top of my head and based on the packs I have. . .actually almost all the Underdark stuff can be stealthed. I dont have shadowfell but I imagine that is stealthable

TeacherSyn
07-03-2014, 01:39 PM
Are you a stealthy build? If so, you can stealth most of: Bargain of Blood to end fight, Spies in the House, Old Tomb, new tenants (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/444079-Stealth-Old-Tomb-New-Tenants) (Garl) in 3BC, Claw of Vulkoor, Tide Turns, Impossible Demands, Deal and the Demon--lots more to add, just off the top of my head and based on the packs I have. . .actually almost all the Underdark stuff can be stealthed. I dont have shadowfell but I imagine that is stealthable

Yes--while Shadowfell has several combat-required objectives, stealth can avoid some battles.

dunklezhan
07-03-2014, 01:47 PM
According to forum people, way to play game above lvl20:

Not this forum person (Honestly. Have you SEEN my post count? I don't even post silly pictures. I'm pretty sure I count as Forum People, though perhaps not as Forumy as you XD ).

Took me from launch of F2P in 09 to 2012 to hit my first 20. My next 20 came last year. When they were offering eHearts for anyone hitting 20 within those couple of months? I made puppy eyes at my guildies to march me forthwith to 20 on about five characters.

It was the most fun I ever had for 2 characters... and then it got really really old. Am now back to my usual snails pace, playing on multiple alts as I wish, TRs and enjoying low levels etc. I don't expect to see another ding 20 for months and months.

So you play the way you wanna, OP. But, Vellrad makes a solid point. Much of the advice in the thread will get you there quickly, I'm sure. But don't come back moaning about things like Comms, or that you don't have enough quest variety...

Xirxx
07-03-2014, 02:46 PM
Don't worry. I promise not to complain about comms :)

Ykt
07-03-2014, 02:50 PM
You get about 5 times more XP from epic quests than heroic ones.
You can get to lvl 21 in less than 5 quests/raids (von 5 :D ).

Seikojin
07-03-2014, 03:45 PM
You get about 5 times more XP from epic quests than heroic ones.
You can get to lvl 21 in less than 5 quests/raids (von 5 :D ).

Yeah, I think that daily run I talked about got me from 20 to just under 21 in one EH run.

Seikojin
07-03-2014, 03:49 PM
You don't mention Through a Mirror Darkly... Great XP, and it's really quick once you know the route. Faster than VON3/VON4.

I will have to check it out :) Remember von3 and 4 and spies are fairly close together in that lazy sense. Do 3 and 4, hit the ship, rebuff, sell, and to d for spies.

JamesNiels
07-03-2014, 03:55 PM
There are more than enough quests if you have access to them and run most of them above EN.
The first few levels actually go by pretty fast especially if you do any of the explorer/slayer areas (which are great for leveling up when you are off-destiny).

Ignore the first sentence. It is actually more xp/time efficient to run EN exclusively. Assuming u are not getting bb and first time bonuses anymore. For example and according to the wiki:

Wiz king gives 26.790 xp base on EN. EH gives 27.645.
Mirror EN: 42.314. EH: 43.515.

The tiny increase in xp does never outweigh the extra time it takes to kill the boss and/or mobs. Hell, on EN u can even run some dungeons with red alert and still be unbothered by the mobs.

On both the quests i gave as example u will not get onslaught/conquest xp bonuses on EH, rather than EN. Only in von3 u will miss out on 10% base xp as u will get onslaught instead of conquest (assuming u kill every single mob including the ones on the bridge and the ones in the dead end before the beho's)

By all means do NOT ignore the last sentence saying to get cocoon asap. Word. Just: word. Assuming u are a monk (wait what? How does he know this? \0/!!!) U should claim legendary dreadnought. Which u probably already figured since u wanna be shiradi. Unless ofc u have multiclassed 6 or more of a primal class. Abandon shiradi at 3 and get cocoon (this requires like what...? 200k xp? Not much anyways) U should have np slotting devotion so it will heal for around 60 per tick (guess) for around 300 maybe even 400. Regarding this: if u have not already: slot devotion in ur offhand. It will save ur life many, many times.

P.S. if u plan o epic TR, do not run EN exclusively. To lazy to check as im on mobile phone but i believe EH gives double the comms of EN. And EE gives double that which EH gives. Oh and dont plan on colours of the queen epic PL as a shurithrower. Its fun and not bad and all until u proc an EE mob with adrenaline and it 1-shots u.

P.P.S. if u have not already do the estar challenges for great xp at 18-19 ;).

PsychoBlonde
07-03-2014, 04:44 PM
If you care about getting comms of valor running Epic Normal is terribad. I actually prefer to do an elite streak (double comms for the next few days!) even on epic quests. I try to avoid doing the ones with heroic versions before I get to 20. I got my bard from 20-28 on an elite streak and I didn't even manage to do everything. Didn't finish Gianthold. Didn't do TBC. Didn't do Druid's Deep.