PDA

View Full Version : Swashbuckling Spellsword

Failedlegend
07-01-2014, 02:41 PM
So I'm going to be TRing my Wiz/Fighter soon (waiting for Bard prestige changes to be finalized) who unfortunately over the years has been slowly worn down by updates and whilst I could easily update him with an LR there's no point since he's TRing and I don't want to start the same character over again (will likely try again another life, maybe when EK gets some love)

Anyways I'll start with my goals and what is not to assist in any feedback given (thank you in advance :D)

Goals:

- Try out the swashbuckler prestige (already tested on Lama just want to see how it functions at all levels)
- Make a bard (I've always loved bards in PnP and the upcoming changes see very promising)
- Maximize haggle since I'm always broke
- Utilize the few good things about EK
- Use those really awesome looking orbs
- Be a decent spellcaster (will likely put a good amount of points in spellsinger too)

Currently I have no real attachment to the race I only chose Half-Elf because its has a boost to Haggle, the Pally Dilletante and because being "Elvish" just feels right when creating a magical finesse fighter.

Anyways here's my current build

Half-Elf "Swashbuckling Spellsword" Bard15/Sorc3/Rogue2 (Primary: Swashbuckler, Secondary: Spellsinger, Tertiary: EK)

Dex 16
Con 10
Int 14
Cha 18 (Lvl ups here)

Level Order: Rogue1, Bard 2-8, Rogue 9, Sorc 10-12, Bard 13-20
Skills: Balance, Haggle, UMD, Perform, DD, Search (OL on Rogue Levels)

H Pally Dilly
1 SWF
3 PL: Wiz
6 Maximize
9 IWSF
12 Quicken
15 IC: Piercing
18 GSWF
ED Divine Crusader or Draconic Incarnation
21 Inspire Excellence
24 Epic Skills?
26 Perfect SWF (assuming the wiki is correct this is pretty cool)
27 Epic Reflexes
28 Lasting Inspiration

nat_1
07-01-2014, 04:09 PM
I'm planning to TR and run a bard up from 1 myself. I've been leaning towards running with a buckler and grabbing Improved Shield Bash (does dilly give Shield Proficiency?) and grabbing the 15% from either EK or Stalwart Defender. That would be one more Sorc level than you have planned right now but would hit 35% auto-bash. Now we just need TF bucklers.

I've never used an orb. Do they work in any way for bashing? Do you know if any of the TF effects transfer to the main hand?

Seikojin
07-01-2014, 04:20 PM
Why spellsinger? I mean maybe with the patched up spellsinger this month, but I think you would gain more out of putting more across ek and swash, and taking a few extra abilities in those trees to boost your primary capabilities.

Failedlegend
07-01-2014, 05:22 PM
Why spellsinger? I mean maybe with the patched up spellsinger this month, but I think you would gain more out of putting more across ek and swash, and taking a few extra abilities in those trees to boost your primary capabilities.

To be honest I'm going to mess around with all 3 bards prestiges just to get a feel for them before deciding, SB/SS/EK is just my best guess and imo EK is a very weak prestige so I likely won't spend much in it.

I'm planning to TR and run a bard up from 1 myself. I've been leaning towards running with a buckler and grabbing Improved Shield Bash (does dilly give Shield Proficiency?) and grabbing the 15% from either EK or Stalwart Defender. That would be one more Sorc level than you have planned right now but would hit 35% auto-bash. Now we just need TF bucklers.

I've never used an orb. Do they work in any way for bashing? Do you know if any of the TF effects transfer to the main hand?

As far as I know shield bashing is still bugged out iirc it only procs once per X seconds regardless of the boosters. As for orbs

Orb-wise I'll get back to you on whether they can bash or not when I get a sec to log on, I've collected a couple on my Wiz tank for testing. That said orbs are useful for having extra effects (spell power,etc.) also when you block you get an orb bonus to your saving throws and energy resistances. This is in addition to any effects listed on the item. Note that unlike shields, orbs do not inherently increase your Armor Class and Damage Reduction. Only characters with the Magical Training feat are proficient with orbs.

TF Buckler?

nat_1
07-02-2014, 12:22 PM
Thunderforged buckler. So bashes work, I saw a difference between just the EK 15% and adding the feat. They proc'd back to back a few times so I can at least say the 6 second rule is gone. The Kensei and EK enhancements are antirequisite.

Interestingly you can get CHA to damage on the buckler, though to-hit is still STR. IC:Bludgeon does not work, which is a bummer.

Edit: Oh yeah. Orbs proc from bashing. I'm going on vacation without internets for a while but I'll have a build worked up when I come back. The last thing I need to know is if Thunderforged orbs accept the same upgrades as weapons or if they're restricted to things like spell power bonuses.

Failedlegend
07-03-2014, 09:38 AM
Hmmm...I just assumed buckler's and light shields would be finessable

Failedlegend
07-03-2014, 04:28 PM
I have confirmed that Buckler's and light shields are NOT finessable, they should be imo but they are not. So since this is a Dex/Cha build I doubt I will be going 1h+Buckler since I'll never actually HIT anything with my buckler.

Also as Nat mentioned Improved critical bludgeon does not seem to improve crit range.

gwonbush
07-03-2014, 05:39 PM
You actually don't want to increase your buckler's crit range anyway. Here's why: when you damage a monster with your buckler and don't crit, it gives you a stack of Exploit Weakness, increasing the crit range of your main hand weapon (but not the buckler). If you do crit, it clears the Exploit Weakness stack. As for hitting with a buckler, it's pretty easy to hit a good portion of the time even without focusing on it.

However, this isn't the real advantage of going for a buckler. The real reason for that is that it gives 10% dodge, potentially 15% doublestrike and 20 PRR (requires 2 feats and a twist), and allows you to get guardbreaking, which mesmerizes monsters whenever you get a crit, effectively preventing non-rednamed monsters from fighting back.