PDA

View Full Version : SWF vs TWF??

Radha2g
07-01-2014, 03:44 AM
Hey guys. I got my wife into DDO sometime ago and she kinda forced me to play a rogue with her. Didnt wanted at the start but now im really liking it :). I was taking twf of course, but now we have the SWF, so I started a bard with levels of rogue in another acct (only other option was to LR my banker). the bard's level is still too low to actually see an improvement as I would need abt level 9 for ISFW and more than 15 for GSWF (because of multiclassing).

I wanted to now in advance what do you guys think abt this 2 feat lines and what would you recommend in case of SWF (like more bard/rogue levels or any other stuff). My wife plays a ranger bc she always liked twf if that matters.

I also read that the old bard enhancement will have some changes as well so theres that too...

Maelodic
07-01-2014, 03:54 AM
Hey guys. I got my wife into DDO sometime ago and she kinda forced me to play a rogue with her. Didnt wanted at the start but now im really liking it :). I was taking twf of course, but now we have the SWF, so I started a bard with levels of rogue in another acct (only other option was to LR my banker). the bard's level is still too low to actually see an improvement as I would need abt level 9 for ISFW and more than 15 for GSWF (because of multiclassing).

I wanted to now in advance what do you guys think abt this 2 feat lines and what would you recommend in case of SWF (like more bard/rogue levels or any other stuff). My wife plays a ranger bc she always liked twf if that matters.

I also read that the old bard enhancement will have some changes as well so theres that too...

I wouldn't recommend SWF because of a Rogue's reliance on Sneak Attack.
I can only recommend it if you're using something other than a dagger, you have at least 4 levels of bard, and aren't focusing on sneak attacks. The dagger increase in Rogue's T5 doesn't stack with Swashing.

Miahoo
07-01-2014, 03:56 AM
Just writing my opinion here....

Back then, when you talked rog, u were talking SA.

If you're talking heroic - then it doesn't really matters what u go, it seems TWF will bring more DPS due to SA, but the numbers will be kinda close.

If you're talking epics, then imho, SA fall way back - nowadays people usually go assassins for insta kill or acrobat rog splash with DPS (blitz).

Looking at the bard's kit, it seems SWF with the Swashbuckling line will bring more DPS (and an instakill) than TWF non-assassination rogue. now think how many rog levels you want - if any.

Radha2g
07-02-2014, 04:09 AM
Ok

Thanks for the opinions.

I might level the bard/rogue to level 12 to see how different it feels (having buff and all, but missing SA) and I do want trapping skills and I dont have arti. Oh, btw, yes this was meant for heroics or, if any epic, most likely not elite. It all depends what she would like to do after 20. Dont think she would like farming much, DDO is almost the first MMO she played (aside for a couple of levels in Neverwinter).

Miahoo
07-02-2014, 11:25 AM
Ok

Thanks for the opinions.

I might level the bard/rogue to level 12 to see how different it feels (having buff and all, but missing SA) and I do want trapping skills and I dont have arti. Oh, btw, yes this was meant for heroics or, if any epic, most likely not elite. It all depends what she would like to do after 20. Dont think she would like farming much, DDO is almost the first MMO she played (aside for a couple of levels in Neverwinter).

Then do w/e is fun for u two to play!

Ignore those DPS/optimal guides and play for utility and fun.

painkiller3
07-07-2014, 09:17 AM
I wouldn't recommend SWF because of a Rogue's reliance on Sneak Attack.
I can only recommend it if you're using something other than a dagger, you have at least 4 levels of bard, and aren't focusing on sneak attacks. The dagger increase in Rogue's T5 doesn't stack with Swashing.

i was thinking about doing a 17 rogue/3 bard or 16 rogue/4 bard. the 3 gives you swashbuckler stance, but misses out on low blow stuff...but gives you 9d6 sneak attack. any thoughts on feats? precision, SWF chain, shield mastery chain if 4 bard, dodge

Saekee
07-07-2014, 10:45 AM
I have been struggling over this question with the monk capstone.

For any class that relies on each weapon's effects, like the massive sneak attack damage a rogue offers, then it seems that TWF is the way to go. Yet, with the full SWF line in epics, buffed further with doublestrike (which favors SWF and THF, in that order), things seem to lean the other way. That said, a well-played rogue with deception items, armor piercing, sneak attack buffs to damage, etc. offers a lot to further buff the TWF.

Remember that bards are only affecting mobs that can be critically hit. Same with sneak attack. But breaking fortification is a rogue's specialty, from gear, certain feats like Opportunist, and enhancements--I am curious to see how bards pull this off to make their awesome crit profile more useful for all mobs.

painkiller3
07-07-2014, 12:54 PM
the other question is how often does lethality proc (especially with 19-20 vorpal with perfect single weapon fighting) from level 18 assassin? if it works fairly well, probably the pure rogue is better than the bard splash (even with the additional threat, modifier)

Saekee
07-07-2014, 01:35 PM
the other question is how often does lethality proc (especially with 19-20 vorpal with perfect single weapon fighting) from level 18 assassin? if it works fairly well, probably the pure rogue is better than the bard splash (even with the additional threat, modifier)

Well, in epics, it is only worth about 5 dmg per hit, not counting the insta kills below 1000 hp, which are less important in EE.

Seikojin
07-07-2014, 02:20 PM
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/444928-SWF-Damage-A-thread-for-demonstrations

You can see for yourself. :D