PDA

View Full Version : Can't see DDO Store/Help

jwelch
06-25-2014, 08:29 AM
Is anyone seeing an issue where in-game web content, such as the DDO Store and Help aren't displaying, just throwing error messages?

Myranna
06-25-2014, 02:21 PM
Is anyone seeing an issue where in-game web content, such as the DDO Store and Help aren't displaying, just throwing error messages?

I haven't, but I have seen a lot of issues with the Mac client disappear if you unhide the Library folder in your user folder. (by default it's hidden now) Can't hurt to try it :)

jwelch
07-19-2014, 11:38 AM
I haven't, but I have seen a lot of issues with the Mac client disappear if you unhide the Library folder in your user folder. (by default it's hidden now) Can't hurt to try it :)

Looks like it's an issue with Webkit in Yosemite. Under mavericks it works fine

wraxzz
07-21-2014, 01:57 AM

I know this is the mac section of the forum and Ive never used one before, but I can provide my experience of this same error on the pc version.

ALWAYS after opening the DDO Store or Help-menu, I get a white page displaying a 404 error. What I do is simple, wait a few seconds, or many if you must, but eventually it redirects itself to the appropriate page.

I can't remember my results on testing whether keeping said window as the focus window while waiting made a difference in response time, but it has never failed loading in 2014 after waiting a while.

give it a try and let know if it worked for you?

Kaytis
07-21-2014, 09:19 PM
Looks like it's an issue with Webkit in Yosemite. Under mavericks it works fine

Yosemite is prerelease software. That should probably be taken into consideration when encountering problems. You should certainly mention it to provide context.

jwelch
07-26-2014, 02:58 PM
Yosemite is prerelease software. That should probably be taken into consideration when encountering problems. You should certainly mention it to provide context.

Since I couldn't verify it was a Yosemite issue until I could test it on another Mac running 10.9, doing that could have created an assumption of "oh, that's not a real issue, that's a yosemite problem, ignore". Once I was able to isolate it to Yosemite, I added that.

jwelch
07-26-2014, 02:59 PM
I know this is the mac section of the forum and Ive never used one before, but I can provide my experience of this same error on the pc version.

ALWAYS after opening the DDO Store or Help-menu, I get a white page displaying a 404 error. What I do is simple, wait a few seconds, or many if you must, but eventually it redirects itself to the appropriate page.

I can't remember my results on testing whether keeping said window as the focus window while waiting made a difference in response time, but it has never failed loading in 2014 after waiting a while.

give it a try and let know if it worked for you?

I see that on other OS Versions. in this case, it looks like the changes Apple has made to WebKit on 10.10 are not playing well with the DDO client. Given the toolkit used to build the Mac version, that makes some sense. Cross-platform frameworks tend to create as many problems as they solve.

Nman2600
10-16-2014, 03:13 PM
Now that Yosemite has been Officially released on 10/16/2014

Any update on when an OSX Yosemite friendly DDO Client will be available?

Myranna
10-16-2014, 10:12 PM
Now that Yosemite has been Officially released on 10/16/2014

Any update on when an OSX Yosemite friendly DDO Client will be available?

Confirmed, now that Yosemite is released, the store no longer works. (after upgrading that is)

It worked correctly with 10.9 and previous, just not 10.10

Shadow_Flayer
10-17-2014, 08:11 PM
Agreed. Logged on after installing Yosemite and wanted to buy some points and a few things in the store. No go. Any ideas when this might get fixed?

Teletöki
10-19-2014, 04:09 PM
I just wanna add to the complain/bug list. It should be a primary concern for turbine to fix this bug and update for Yosemite.

Heritage_Fleet
10-20-2014, 05:53 PM
Went back to Mavericks

dougy_fresh
10-22-2014, 05:55 PM
Any ETA on when this DDO Store error on Yosemite will be fixed? Are we talking days, weeks, months?

-Doug

Shadow_Flayer
10-27-2014, 12:12 PM
Sadly the patch today didn't correct the issue. I've submitted a bug report, but don't expect to hear anything back on that. It would be nice if they at least added it to the Known Issues list.

Currently I open up a Parallels instance of Win 8.1 with DDO loaded just to access the store. Not the best, but it is a work around. No way I'm downgrading from Yosemite.

Any ETA on when this DDO Store error on Yosemite will be fixed? Are we talking days, weeks, months?

-Doug

krisbrowne42
10-27-2014, 02:49 PM
... That issues relating to my/our ability to Give Them Money would take a higher precedence.

That being said, I'd be a lot happier with this broken but the Black Space issue fixed.

conlonhf4
10-27-2014, 05:54 PM
Sadly the patch today didn't correct the issue. I've submitted a bug report, but don't expect to hear anything back on that. It would be nice if they at least added it to the Known Issues list.

Currently I open up a Parallels instance of Win 8.1 with DDO loaded just to access the store. Not the best, but it is a work around. No way I'm downgrading from Yosemite.

I am new to DDO. Are game issues such as the "nonexistent" DDO Store common? It seems an issue like this would make it's way to a Dev Supervisor rather quickly. Unless DDO doesn't like money, shards or gameplay.

Not a promising sign.

Myranna
10-27-2014, 08:34 PM
I am new to DDO. Are game issues such as the "nonexistent" DDO Store common? It seems an issue like this would make it's way to a Dev Supervisor rather quickly. Unless DDO doesn't like money, shards or gameplay.

Not a promising sign.

It seems at times that the Mac client is of little concern to them. There are some issues that have been present for a long time. The DDO store thing is new because of Yosemite. The initial breakage is Apple's fault, but you'd think they would prioritize fixing it. I'll probably be cancelling VIP if this continues much longer. :(

mrsharp0101
10-28-2014, 07:15 AM
It seems at times that the Mac client is of little concern to them. There are some issues that have been present for a long time. The DDO store thing is new because of Yosemite. The initial breakage is Apple's fault, but you'd think they would prioritize fixing it. I'll probably be cancelling VIP if this continues much longer. :(

HAHA, I notified them at day 1 that the bata for 10.10 released, when I did the upgrade. I spent over 2 months emailing them back and forth. I even told them where to get to get a free upgrade to the swift code system so they could, just check and see if its got any issues, knowing full well that the store is broke. they spent over 20 emails saying it was my ip server settings. I had to let my VIP end because I haven't been able to get into the store since mid July. This is not a "UNKNOWN" issue as I had reported it to them and gave them plenty of time to look into it before 10.10 went live. I have to agree that DDO needs to fix it. I do not believe its apples fault for the breakage, as it was a much needed upgrade to the code writing system.

Please fix the DDO store already!!!

Dimwhit1
10-28-2014, 09:34 AM
It wouldn't be so bad if we could use a browser to purchase from the store for a character. But it has to be in-game. So now Turbine can't get money from any Mac users. Gotta think they'd want to fix this.

perigrino
11-01-2014, 06:33 AM
Bit of a vent...

I've come to the conclusion they don't give a damn about the Mac users. The "Beta" has been out for well over a year, and there are still bugs that have been there since day one. Some of them make it very difficult to get through some dungeons. I'm kind of tired of having guildmates talk me through a dungeon: "okay, turn to the left, nope to far, back a bit, STOP? now jump forward." just because they can't fix a graphics glitch

Now, as a mac user, I can't even use the store (no potions, augments, cosmetics, ddo points, etc.) or Help.

And in exchange for being second-class, we get to pay full price.

All I want really is a statement saying, yes, we are fixing these issues and we hope to have it done by <blank> instead I get this:

Thank you for your inquiry. The issue you have described is either not a currently known issue that we can assist with, or cannot be resolved with the information you have provided. I recommend that you take a moment to submit a formal bug report.

To submit a bug report, please visit the following link: http://ddobugs.turbine.com. Fill in the provided form, including your location ('/loc' in the chat box) and as many details as possible. Be sure to fully review the information at the top of the bug report form to understand how bug reports are handled, and note that not all reports receive a response., and click 'Submit' when you are finished.
Followed up by this:

Thank you for contacting Turbine with your report. We value our player's input and appreciate your taking the time to provide Turbine with your valuable feedback.

We're sorry that you are experiencing this difficulty, but we appreciate your contacting us to make us aware of this and the issue you have reported is under investigation.

The report you have submitted here was done via the "Report a Bug" form, which will not necessarily result in a timely response or resolution to your issue. On the "Report a Bug" page, this information is reiterated for your convenience. While we may investigate reports submitted via the 'Report a Bug' form, QA cannot resolve individual or character issues in game or on the forums.

Dimwhit1
11-01-2014, 11:42 AM
I submitted a bug report. I think we all need to do it. Maybe they'll fix it soon.

mrsharp0101
11-01-2014, 04:13 PM
I submitted a bug report. I think we all need to do it. Maybe they'll fix it soon.

HAHA I have done that already... months ago

Tscheuss
11-01-2014, 04:38 PM
I am sorry to hear that Apple broke your access to the DDO Store and Help. The fact that Apple caused the problem may be the reason it is taking longer for Turbine to find a hack. It is one thing to fix your own code; it is quite something else to work around someone else's broken interface. :(

perigrino
11-02-2014, 06:35 AM
I am sorry to hear that Apple broke your access to the DDO Store and Help. The fact that Apple caused the problem may be the reason it is taking longer for Turbine to find a hack. It is one thing to fix your own code; it is quite something else to work around someone else's broken interface. :(

Granted , the blank help is due to a change in Webkit. But it was noted in the beta weeks ago and DDO does not seem to want acknowledge the problem.

Also, the colour walls in the dungeons has been around since I started playing, so that is at least 18 months. That tells me that either a) they don't really care or b) they have insufficient, or inexperienced, OSX developers.

I do understand the developing complex software is not an easy thing, I worked for 8 years writing documentation at a company that produced customized, high-level financial planning software. I sat in the SCRUM rooms and interacted with the development and management team daily; so I do understand, but 18 months to fix a bug?

Slapdragon
11-03-2014, 06:56 PM
HAHA I have done that already... months ago

Turbine CSR asked me to contact Apple myself and ask them for a work around. I e-mailed them the changes published under the Webkit update - oddly enough the problem is not one of a bug but of a bug fix - and probably can be addressed quickly - but Turbine does not have anyone who apparently has access to the Developer notes for OS-X.

As a related issue my main game machines is a Windows one, and Windows 8 killed both DDO and LOTRO. My ISP is furious with Turbine because a lot of people lost service in the Windows update because of some non-standard hijinks that their LOTRO client on Windows and their web store pull. So it may be a case of Apple telling them if they do not want to code it correctly they won't get support. Certainly asking a customer to contact Apple OS development to talk to developers about WebKit Webview. calls is an odd way to run an engineering service.

Dimwhit1
11-03-2014, 08:07 PM
Turbine CSR asked me to contact Apple myself and ask them for a work around. I e-mailed them the changes published under the Webkit update - oddly enough the problem is not one of a bug but of a bug fix - and probably can be addressed quickly - but Turbine does not have anyone who apparently has access to the Developer notes for OS-X.

That's ridiculous. Webkit (and other technologies) constantly change. Part of being a developer is keeping up on changes to those underlying technologies and changes your apps to accommodate.

Apple didn't break anything. They updated their technologies and Turbine was too lazy to keep up. It's bad form on Turbine, not on Apple.

Tscheuss
11-03-2014, 08:26 PM
That's ridiculous. Webkit (and other technologies) constantly change. Part of being a developer is keeping up on changes to those underlying technologies and changes your apps to accommodate.

Apple didn't break anything. They updated their technologies and Turbine was too lazy to keep up. It's bad form on Turbine, not on Apple.

Apple made a code change to an interface that is used by other developers. That change resulted in part of another developer's code not working. Thus Apple broke it. Simple logic. It would have been better for Apple to change the implementation without changing the interface, or at least provide for backwards compatibility. This is no different than the nastiness Microsoft coughed up with Windows 8. Two OS providers getting too arrogant about their market share and trying to force the world to dance to their tune.
The odds of getting Apple to fix what they broke is low, so Apple users may be stuck waiting for Turbine to come up with a hack around this problem. Then again, Turbine may just wait for Apple to fix their own problem.

perigrino
11-04-2014, 06:47 AM
Apple made a code change to an interface that is used by other developers. That change resulted in part of another developer's code not working. Thus Apple broke it. Simple logic. It would have been better for Apple to change the implementation without changing the interface, or at least provide for backwards compatibility. This is no different than the nastiness Microsoft coughed up with Windows 8. Two OS providers getting too arrogant about their market share and trying to force the world to dance to their tune.
The odds of getting Apple to fix what they broke is low, so Apple users may be stuck waiting for Turbine to come up with a hack around this problem. Then again, Turbine may just wait for Apple to fix their own problem.

Umm, no. Apple did not break webikit. Apple made some improvements and patched some holes. This is normal OS development behaviour. OS developers (Apple,Microsoft, Linux distributions, etc) all release betas for software developers to ensure that new code and APIs can be addressed in their applications.

If this process were not in place there would never be improvements and updates made to operating systems as they would be locked in the past.

Turbine developers had access to the betas for months; if their QA department had done proper testing they would have discovered that DDO did not play well with Yosemite. That should have given them enough time to either fix the problem or to put up a notice to users not to upgrade. That is how most software development firms work. So either they did not properly perform their QA, or they just didn’t care.

And again, beyond the irritating webkit issue, why the heck is it that they can’t fix the dungeon colours problem in over 18 months?

Tscheuss
11-04-2014, 10:09 AM
Umm, no. Apple did not break webikit. Apple made some improvements and patched some holes. This is normal OS development behaviour. OS developers (Apple,Microsoft, Linux distributions, etc) all release betas for software developers to ensure that new code and APIs can be addressed in their applications.

If this process were not in place there would never be improvements and updates made to operating systems as they would be locked in the past.

Turbine developers had access to the betas for months; if their QA department had done proper testing they would have discovered that DDO did not play well with Yosemite. That should have given them enough time to either fix the problem or to put up a notice to users not to upgrade. That is how most software development firms work. So either they did not properly perform their QA, or they just didn’t care.

And again, beyond the irritating webkit issue, why the heck is it that they can’t fix the dungeon colours problem in over 18 months?

Self contradictions are contradictory, and this debate is pointless. The objective view acknowledges fault from all parties. Apple broke the interface, and failed to fix what they broke. Turbine had time to recognize the problem that Apple created, yet failed to build a workaround or warn users against an upgrade. Players upgraded in spite of knowing about the problem, or refused to regress after learning the problem, and insist that Turbine needs to fix the problem.

Fastest fix for the interface problem is for players to reject the new OS until either Turbine or Apple fix the problem.

Kaytis
11-04-2014, 10:47 AM
Apple broke the interface, and failed to fix what they broke.

You keep saying that. That is almost certainly an incorrect characterization of what happened here. Apple could just as easily fixed something that was broken, thus exposing something that Turbine was doing wrong. They could have introduced new security measures, or added new functionality. It is incumbent on developers to keep up with changes. It's called progress. Apple did not break anything. They moved forward. Apple's only complicity in this is that they often move forward regardless of whether developers follow along or not. It's a pain, but there are material and significant benefits to this strategy for Apple and their customers over the long run.

Bottom line -Turbine needs to grab one of the Lotro guys to come take a look at it and get it fixed. And maybe while he is there he can take a look at the opaque walls problem.

Tscheuss
11-04-2014, 02:16 PM
You keep saying that. That is almost certainly an incorrect characterization of what happened here. Apple could just as easily fixed something that was broken, thus exposing something that Turbine was doing wrong. They could have introduced new security measures, or added new functionality. It is incumbent on developers to keep up with changes. It's called progress. Apple did not break anything. They moved forward. Apple's only complicity in this is that they often move forward regardless of whether developers follow along or not. It's a pain, but there are material and significant benefits to this strategy for Apple and their customers over the long run.

Bottom line -Turbine needs to grab one of the Lotro guys to come take a look at it and get it fixed. And maybe while he is there he can take a look at the opaque walls problem.

Bottom line - Players with this problem need to reject the Apple update if they wish to be rid of the problem while waiting for either Apple to fix what they broke or Turbine to develop a workaround. The alternative is doing without the DDO Store and Help until either company fixes the problem (or switch to a Windows or Linux OS).

By all means, continue to pressure either or both companies to fix this issue, but I urge players to choose a working configuration while waiting for results.

Power to the Players. :)

conlonhf4
11-04-2014, 09:15 PM
Bottom line - Players with this problem need to reject the Apple update if they wish to be rid of the problem while waiting for either Apple to fix what they broke or Turbine to develop a workaround. The alternative is doing without the DDO Store and Help until either company fixes the problem (or switch to a Windows or Linux OS).

By all means, continue to pressure either or both companies to fix this issue, but I urge players to choose a working configuration while waiting for results.

If you think for a skinny minute I'll not update my machines (with an s) you and Turbine or DDO Devs can pound salt.
If a software game company cannot keep up with changes in OS software then you can bet it will not remain a software gaming company very long. And if you don't want to fix a bug that been reported using the provided procedure for, um...3 or 4 weeks.

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls..."

AvrilDuChene
11-04-2014, 10:32 PM
If you think for a skinny minute I'll not update my machines (with an s) you and Turbine or DDO Devs can pound salt.
If a software game company cannot keep up with changes in OS software then you can bet it will not remain a software gaming company very long. And if you don't want to fix a bug that been reported using the provided procedure for, um...3 or 4 weeks.

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls..."

I want someone to fix this bug, but I'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face. For the time being, I'm with this guy

Went back to Mavericks

Myranna
11-05-2014, 06:28 AM
Personally, I use my computer for a lot more than just DDO. If Turbine can't fix the problem, then I must forget about DDO, however reluctantly. I have cancelled my subscription. Turbine can probably expect others to do the same.

mrsharp0101
11-05-2014, 07:28 AM

IF this is the route you plan on taking and not updating your system again or going back to the old system don't do update 10.10.1 (it locks your system into the new OS X) It was released November 5th. (this could very well be only for those in the OS X 10.10 bata but i can not say for sure because i get a lot more updates then those that do not have the bata.)

I personally need the updates for other programs and my job and even school so not updating is not a choice. I don't care what side fixes the issue but someone needs to fix it! my bet is turbine will need to because i think the update on the OS X side is amazing update and i have been waiting for it for about 2 years now.

Kaytis
11-05-2014, 08:47 AM
IF this is the route you plan on taking and not updating your system again or going back to the old system don't do update 10.10.1 (it locks your system into the new OS X).

The 10.10 beta was the same way. I think this is just a beta thing.

Dimwhit1
11-05-2014, 10:21 AM
Personally, I use my computer for a lot more than just DDO. If Turbine can't fix the problem, then I must forget about DDO, however reluctantly. I have cancelled my subscription. Turbine can probably expect others to do the same.

Exactly. I'm not going to make OS upgrade decisions based on DDO. I have other considerations. Granted, I have Windows 7 on my Mac, so if I really need to purchase something, I can log in there. So it's not as big a deal for me. But there are several things I would have purchased already if it was working on Yosemite. But I haven't wanted them enough to log into Windows.

All Turbine is doing right now is losing money on the Mac users. Maybe they feel it's not enough money to care. That's their decision, I suppose. But it's a bad decision, IMO.

AvrilDuChene
11-05-2014, 02:31 PM
Exactly. I'm not going to make OS upgrade decisions based on DDO. I have other considerations. Granted, I have Windows 7 on my Mac, so if I really need to purchase something, I can log in there. So it's not as big a deal for me. But there are several things I would have purchased already if it was working on Yosemite. But I haven't wanted them enough to log into Windows.

All Turbine is doing right now is losing money on the Mac users. Maybe they feel it's not enough money to care. That's their decision, I suppose. But it's a bad decision, IMO.

Just had some bad idea. What if Apple and Turbine make a fix in the same time and make the trouble worse together?

Cordovan
11-05-2014, 02:35 PM
We are aware that the DDO Store is not currently available to Mac players who have updated to Yosemite. At this time, we have nothing further to add, although we have been looking into various solutions to this issue.

Kibbul
11-05-2014, 07:32 PM
We are aware that the DDO Store is not currently available to Mac players who have updated to Yosemite. At this time, we have nothing further to add, although we have been looking into various solutions to this issue.

Just want to add my voice to this, and say that I hope Turbine fixes this soon. Currently have a MacBook and PC desktop, but the PC is getting replaced with an iMac soon, and that iMac will be running Yosemite. If DDO doesn't work properly on the iMac, then I won't be playing DDO. That would make me sad, but I would not install Bootcamp just to play DDO. I am pretty much done with Windows at this point.

mrsharp0101
11-06-2014, 07:06 AM

Its only taken 5 months for them to notice and accept that this really is a issue having to do with OS X 10.10... hope they get it fixed soon!

danabear
11-06-2014, 01:02 PM
It is really surprising how long they've taken, compared to how long other game developers have taken to respond to issues like this (and the graphic glitch).

I thought for sure the graphic issue would've been fixed ages ago, but I have discovered and used a temporary work-around for it. It only works when you're playing with friends (or really cool strangers), but it works a bit. So here's what I do:

Get to a good resting location and inform your friends that you'll be right back.
Command-option-esc and force quit DDO.
Relaunch and log back into DDO. You'll be right back where you were.

The glitch will resurface again at some point, as it does. But at least you've bought yourself an hour or so of play without a glitch.

As for the store, yeah... it's super irritating. Unfortunately, DDO is one of the only cross-platform MMOs that I can play with my friend, since he's not got a whole lot of disposable income.

Kaytis
11-06-2014, 03:41 PM
It is really surprising how long they've taken, compared to how long other game developers have taken to respond to issues like this (and the graphic glitch).

I thought for sure the graphic issue would've been fixed ages ago, but I have discovered and used a temporary work-around for it. It only works when you're playing with friends (or really cool strangers), but it works a bit. So here's what I do:

Get to a good resting location and inform your friends that you'll be right back.
Command-option-esc and force quit DDO.
Relaunch and log back into DDO. You'll be right back where you were.

The glitch will resurface again at some point, as it does. But at least you've bought yourself an hour or so of play without a glitch.

As for the store, yeah... it's super irritating. Unfortunately, DDO is one of the only cross-platform MMOs that I can play with my friend, since he's not got a whole lot of disposable income.

If you are soloing a dungeon, you have to disconnect from the network first. I play over wireless so I use the Wi-Fi menu to "Turn Wi-Fi Off". Quit the game (command-Q works fine, you don't need to force quit), reconnect to the network, restart the game and log the same toon back in. You will be right back where you left off. Note that if the quest is already finished, (this can be important in WizKing where the official quest can end quickly), you will be booted from the instance, even if there are still tons of optionals left. I haven't found any alternative but to play through the optionals basically blind if the clipping starts after the quest is over.

Edit: you only need to do this if you are soloing. Otherwise you can just quit and log back in as you say -there is no need to disconnect from the network when others are in the dungeon.

Dimwhit1
11-06-2014, 07:35 PM
If you are soloing a dungeon, you have to disconnect from the network first. I play over wireless so I use the Wi-Fi menu to "Turn Wi-Fi Off". Quit the game (command-Q works fine, you don't need to force quit), reconnect to the network, restart the game and log the same toon back in. You will be right back where you left off. Note that if the quest is already finished, (this can be important in WizKing where the official quest can end quickly), you will be booted from the instance, even if there are still tons of optionals left. I haven't found any alternative but to play through the optionals basically blind if the clipping starts after the quest is over.

Edit: you only need to do this if you are soloing. Otherwise you can just quit and log back in as you say -there is no need to disconnect from the network when others are in the dungeon.

In my experience, that's not even necessary. I solo a lot. But rather than quitting, I just log out (back to the character selection screen) then log back into the same character. I always end up where I left off and the problem is solved.

Weird_Beard
11-10-2014, 12:00 AM
First off to you guys complaining that the MAC is poorly supported. This isn't one of those times. The same issue is cropping up on as many PCs it seems.

Reading up on it pointed me to an issue with internet SSL encoding and I was able to get 3 solutions involving going into Internet Explorer and turning on/off SSL 2.0 or 3.0 etc depending on the solution given. What worked for me ( and I confirmed it by being able to make the store work and not work by reversing the process) was to TURN ON TLS encoding in IE.

Not sure how to do this with a MAC as I know nothing about them but this solution should point someone in the right direction.

Good luck.

Dimwhit1
11-10-2014, 02:54 PM
First off to you guys complaining that the MAC is poorly supported. This isn't one of those times. The same issue is cropping up on as many PCs it seems.

Reading up on it pointed me to an issue with internet SSL encoding and I was able to get 3 solutions involving going into Internet Explorer and turning on/off SSL 2.0 or 3.0 etc depending on the solution given. What worked for me ( and I confirmed it by being able to make the store work and not work by reversing the process) was to TURN ON TLS encoding in IE.

Not sure how to do this with a MAC as I know nothing about them but this solution should point someone in the right direction.

Good luck.

I'm curious how that works. Does the DDO store pull up the browser within the game? Otherwise, how would a browser setting affect the in-game store? (I admittedly know little on these matters.) That said, I'll see if Safari has a setting I can mess with.

Edit: I can't find a way in OS X to turn on TLS settings. I get sent to the Proxie Settings in the Network preferences, but nothing there. Still looking.

danabear
11-13-2014, 01:03 PM
I'm curious how that works. Does the DDO store pull up the browser within the game? Otherwise, how would a browser setting affect the in-game store? (I admittedly know little on these matters.) That said, I'll see if Safari has a setting I can mess with.

Edit: I can't find a way in OS X to turn on TLS settings. I get sent to the Proxie Settings in the Network preferences, but nothing there. Still looking.

So you're supposed to be able to adjust TLS settings in Network >> current network >> Advanced >> 802.1X, but (at least for me) the options that are supposed to be there are not showing up. I'm about to ask the Apple Support Communities if they have any idea what's going on, so we'll see what happens.

Edit: Here's the link for a support article I found that talks about TLS for Mac OS X 10.5. It may not be entirely relevant to 10.10, but it's a start.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT3326

Dimwhit1
11-13-2014, 01:48 PM
So you're supposed to be able to adjust TLS settings in Network >> current network >> Advanced >> 802.1X, but (at least for me) the options that are supposed to be there are not showing up. I'm about to ask the Apple Support Communities if they have any idea what's going on, so we'll see what happens.

Edit: Here's the link for a support article I found that talks about TLS for Mac OS X 10.5. It may not be entirely relevant to 10.10, but it's a start.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT3326

From what I've read (in that article and other places), TLS connections require user certificates and private keys, which isn't something I've ever dealt with. Seems like an extreme solution, if there's even a way to do that.

From what I've seen, I think the setting used to be on the Proxies tab of the Network preference, but maybe that was for an older OS.

Makes me wonder if Yosemite ditched TLS and that's why the problem is here now.

conlonhf4
11-15-2014, 09:10 PM

"Nothing further to add..." Has to be the best Customer Service line I've ever heard. If you chose not to correct issues as they arise or anticipate release changes that are announced months in advance of OS updates and release; your software will suffer and become useless. Watch out PC Users MS 10 will cause your game to be short lived.

Hannse
11-20-2014, 03:57 PM

Cordovan, I have long been an admirer of your Forum forays and as the founder and now contributor to DDOcast but "Nothing further to add" is really not good enough for paying customers?

A semblance of an apology from Turbine would be a good start

Nor is the silence on the walls situation by the way!

Disgruntled

Orkamat007
11-21-2014, 01:23 AM
It wouldn't be so bad if we could use a browser to purchase from the store for a character. But it has to be in-game. So now Turbine can't get money from any Mac users. Gotta think they'd want to fix this.

You'd think, huh?

I've been patient, but I'm gonna cancel my VIP, as others have, in protest.

perigrino
11-23-2014, 06:18 AM
Well, it's been awhile. Is there any news on this yet?

Hannse
11-23-2014, 01:14 PM
Well, it's been awhile. Is there any news on this yet?

Sill Nothing, If the store was suddenly unavailable for windows users, I'm sure Turbine would be all over it!

SealedInSong
11-24-2014, 01:21 AM
Bug reported, no response.

I have money, I want to use it.

Answer: keep it!

Hannse
11-24-2014, 01:34 PM
Bug reported, no response.

I have money, I want to use it.

Answer: keep it!

I could cancel my VIP subscription but i wouldn't be able to buy adventure packs i might like to play!

Grabbed by the sphericles!

jwelch
11-26-2014, 12:09 PM
Apple made a code change to an interface that is used by other developers. That change resulted in part of another developer's code not working. Thus Apple broke it. Simple logic. It would have been better for Apple to change the implementation without changing the interface, or at least provide for backwards compatibility. This is no different than the nastiness Microsoft coughed up with Windows 8. Two OS providers getting too arrogant about their market share and trying to force the world to dance to their tune.The odds of getting Apple to fix what they broke is low, so Apple users may be stuck waiting for Turbine to come up with a hack around this problem. Then again, Turbine may just wait for Apple to fix their own problem.Apple, like every OS Vendor, is going to make changes to things for a major OS update. Beta access to this update was available to registered developers months prior to release. Turbine, like every other OS X dev had access. The idea that they had no way of knowing about it, or Apple shouldn't update unless third party devs approve is ridiculous. There are massive updatesto Webkit in Yosemite. For $99,. Turbine could have had early access or for free, just get the public beta and still have early access. The barrier to entry here is non-existent. I have little pity for turbine about OMG APPLE UPDATED THEIR OS. I mean, someone at Turbine didn't even use the correct Unix path delimiters in the client data files, (a bug I believe is still in the Mac client), so it's not like they're innocent when it comes to having the dumb.Yes, Apple updated their OS, and they'll do it again in 2015.Secondly, Turbine is using a cross-platform frameworks, QT, for the Mac client. There are a lot of logical reasons for doing this, but if the framework doesn't update in a timely manner, then the devs using it are kind of hosed. It's not like the Mac Client is an exemplar of good cross-platform products. But if QT doesn't update in a timely manner, there's nothing Turbine can do that doesn't create more problems than it solves.It looks like QT is folding most of its Yosemite updates into the upcoming 5.4 release, still currently in beta. Given the fact that QT uses its own web engine, based on Chromium, instead of the OS - provided engine, it seems to me we may not see a fix for this until such time as QT updates their stuff, and then Turbine can take advantage of those. But there's going to be a delay in making sure the new version doesn't break other things.Which is one reason why cross-platform frameworks are a bit of a devil's deal.

Hannse
11-26-2014, 02:13 PM
Apple, like every OS Vendor, is going to make changes to things for a major OS update. Beta access to this update was available to registered developers months prior to release. Turbine, like every other OS X dev had access. The idea that they had no way of knowing about it, or Apple shouldn't update unless third party devs approve is ridiculous. There are massive updatesto Webkit in Yosemite. For $99,. Turbine could have had early access or for free, just get the public beta and still have early access. The barrier to entry here is non-existent. I have little pity for turbine about OMG APPLE UPDATED THEIR OS. I mean, someone at Turbine didn't even use the correct Unix path delimiters in the client data files, (a bug I believe is still in the Mac client), so it's not like they're innocent when it comes to having the dumb.Yes, Apple updated their OS, and they'll do it again in 2015.Secondly, Turbine is using a cross-platform frameworks, QT, for the Mac client. There are a lot of logical reasons for doing this, but if the framework doesn't update in a timely manner, then the devs using it are kind of hosed. It's not like the Mac Client is an exemplar of good cross-platform products. But if QT doesn't update in a timely manner, there's nothing Turbine can do that doesn't create more problems than it solves.It looks like QT is folding most of its Yosemite updates into the upcoming 5.4 release, still currently in beta. Given the fact that QT uses its own web engine, based on Chromium, instead of the OS - provided engine, it seems to me we may not see a fix for this until such time as QT updates their stuff, and then Turbine can take advantage of those. But there's going to be a delay in making sure the new version doesn't break other things.Which is one reason why cross-platform frameworks are a bit of a devil's deal.

What he said? i think?

.......If Turbine can make a small gelatinous cube follow you around with a bobble hat on, surely they can fix this?

psykopeta
11-30-2014, 04:57 AM
you are doing it wrong

i run windows 7 and haven't been able to see the store and help/ticket in months

that's why i don't keep playing nor spending money as i did in the beginning

they don't need for us to report this kind of bugs, they're directly related to customer service/money profit, just imagine you go to a gas station and only can fill in 1 of the 8 fuel dispensers, now comes when you ask 2 things to yourself:

- do you really think they don't know it?
- why are you wasting your time in such a gas station? just move to the next one

oh, and good luck waiting for turbine to fix it (i mean, they added their own ddo preloader to the launcher... and it works worse than the "original preloader" which i must use if i don't want to keep crashing as if there's no preloader)

PS: i came back from a 1 year break, played 1 month, time for another 1 year break, it's not like i could care less... oh i'm at 33/39 heroic life and 6/36 epic life because well... a game is a way to sink time in fact lol

conlonhf4
11-30-2014, 09:00 AM
you are doing it wrong

i run windows 7 and haven't been able to see the store and help/ticket in months

that's why i don't keep playing nor spending money as i did in the beginning

they don't need for us to report this kind of bugs, they're directly related to customer service/money profit, just imagine you go to a gas station and only can fill in 1 of the 8 fuel dispensers, now comes when you ask 2 things to yourself:

- do you really think they don't know it?
- why are you wasting your time in such a gas station? just move to the next one

oh, and good luck waiting for turbine to fix it (i mean, they added their own ddo preloader to the launcher... and it works worse than the "original preloader" which i must use if i don't want to keep crashing as if there's no preloader)

PS: i came back from a 1 year break, played 1 month, time for another 1 year break, it's not like i could care less... oh i'm at 33/39 heroic life and 6/36 epic life because well... a game is a way to sink time in fact lol

So, with the passing of another month without any effort to explain or provide relief to Mac DDO players, it seems the above message is the most logical. Unfortunately for me a key component of my professional life is not giving up.

For me 2014 will become my year of insanity...expecting different results while repeating an event. Logging In and clicking the DDO Store button; only to see the expected message, "An Unexpected Error".

I have been following a youtube channel recently that has opened my eyes to the joys of crafting in DDO and running solo at low levels in Kothos, the Harbor and the Marketplace; as anything else is nearly impossible without "An Expected Error".

Thanks,

Tscheuss
11-30-2014, 01:22 PM
So, with the passing of another month without any effort to explain or provide relief to Mac DDO players, it seems the above message is the most logical. Unfortunately for me a key component of my professional life is not giving up.

For me 2014 will become my year of insanity...expecting different results while repeating an event. Logging In and clicking the DDO Store button; only to see the expected message, "An Unexpected Error".

I have been following a youtube channel recently that has opened my eyes to the joys of crafting in DDO and running solo at low levels in Kothos, the Harbor and the Marketplace; as anything else is nearly impossible without "An Expected Error".

Thanks,

Get a windows or linux partition for playing ddo, maybe?

Mennion
11-30-2014, 01:44 PM
First off, why am logged in as Menionn on my phone? I changed to Hannse after the great forum fiasco??

I have been waiting for a TP bonus weekend for months and very annoyed by the lack of a store I have this lengthy work around, if you happen to have some old OS discs.

I have created a partition just for DDO and loaded snow leopard. The last hard copy OS. DDO won't run on snow leopard so I have had to upgrade to Lion or Mavericks! (Original Snow leopard did not have App Store so had to update the software and download the App Store)

Then download lion, mountain lion or Mavericks and then Download DDO!

I have been at this all blooming day! Just completed the upgrade to Mavericks! The DDO download will be an over nighter. I hope bonus points Will still be available tomorrow evening?

Good luck

Arachidamya
12-01-2014, 02:23 AM
From one dev to another:

Look - I get it. People **** on us as if we have any choice over which bugs the business team has decided get to matter (which is to say, none.) That stated, seriously - I quit playing this game because it was like going home to work. Yannow, except for the part where I just fix it myself and put in the pull request.

I know I have a frankly stupid amount of DDO points stockpiled. It would be cool if I could use them. Or even see them. And the worst part about it is I know what's wrong, and I could (and would) fix it for y'all.

Come on, people. This is embarrassing.

psykopeta
12-01-2014, 11:01 AM
From one dev to another:

Look - I get it. People **** on us as if we have any choice over which bugs the business team has decided get to matter (which is to say, none.) That stated, seriously - I quit playing this game because it was like going home to work. Yannow, except for the part where I just fix it myself and put in the pull request.

I know I have a frankly stupid amount of DDO points stockpiled. It would be cool if I could use them. Or even see them. And the worst part about it is I know what's wrong, and I could (and would) fix it for y'all.

Come on, people. This is embarrassing.

just 1 hing lol

2. embarrassing - causing to feel shame or chagrin or vexation;

like dictionary says, i can't be embarrassed if i don't care

Hannse
12-01-2014, 01:02 PM
First off, why am logged in as Menionn on my phone? I changed to Hannse after the great forum fiasco??

I have been waiting for a TP bonus weekend for months and very annoyed by the lack of a store I have this lengthy work around, if you happen to have some old OS discs.

I have created a partition just for DDO and loaded snow leopard. The last hard copy OS. DDO won't run on snow leopard so I have had to upgrade to Lion or Mavericks! (Original Snow leopard did not have App Store so had to update the software and download the App Store)

Then download lion, mountain lion or Mavericks and then Download DDO!

I have been at this all blooming day! Just completed the upgrade to Mavericks! The DDO download will be an over nighter. I hope bonus points Will still be available tomorrow evening?

Good luck

I got as far as downloading the ddl file that lets you play whilst downloading! what a joke, no chance.

It was an overnighter and low and behold would not load. (Game Error [26246464]) some missing files! thanks again Turbine!
am now trying the simple download and hope it completes and works by the end of the day!

Kaytis
12-01-2014, 02:09 PM
And the worst part about it is I know what's wrong, and I could (and would) fix it for y'all.

What is your theory about what is wrong? I have been meaning to update to 10.10 on my game machine and poke around the Console and Terminal a bit to see what messages show up. I launch from the Terminal almost always and there are quite a lot of diagnostics that show up there. I had the wild hope that one of them might point to a work-around.

Diamondbacks
12-03-2014, 11:44 PM

OK, so this bug has been around since June 2014, and there has been no acknowledgement by turbine that it exists? Does anyone at Turbine even look at the forum?

Perhaps they think the mac version is perfect since no one can submit help requests due to the serious nature of the bug.

I suppose that is the most direct way to reduce the bug count - make it impossible for people to submit them.

Tscheuss
12-04-2014, 12:12 AM
OK, so this bug has been around since June 2014, and there has been no acknowledgement by turbine that it exists? Does anyone at Turbine even look at the forum?

Perhaps they think the mac version is perfect since no one can submit help requests due to the serious nature of the bug.

I suppose that is the most direct way to reduce the bug count - make it impossible for people to submit them.

Impossible?

There is a link near the top of the forum that says Bug Report (http://ddobugs.turbine.com/ics/support/ticketnewwizard.asp?style=classic&deptID=24037).

:rolleyes:

Dimwhit1
12-04-2014, 05:18 PM

It's been acknowledged earlier in this thread. They're aware of the issue but have no further information.

perigrino
12-10-2014, 06:46 AM
Well, I just paid what may be my last VIP payment. If the DDO store issue isn't fixed by the next bill, I'm out of here.

Kaytis
12-11-2014, 10:09 AM
December 11, 2014.

Second to last item in the Update 24 release notes:

"Fixed an issue that prevented the DDO Store from opening correctly for Mac users who have the Yosemite update of OSX installed."

:-)

Edit: Now we can actually buy the new content.

conlonhf4
12-12-2014, 07:48 AM
December 11, 2014.

"Fixed an issue that prevented the DDO Store from opening correctly for Mac users who have the Yosemite update of OSX installed."

Yay!!! I can see and use the Store. Thanks

Dimwhit1
12-12-2014, 02:39 PM
Yep, working for me now!

Hannse
12-12-2014, 03:15 PM
December 11, 2014.

Thank you, thanks Turbine.