PDA

View Full Version : New Player trying to catch my bearings

Rysnal101
06-24-2014, 04:10 AM
I a little years ago, and it had the best community I ever experienced in an MMO. I'm back and trying to get a handle on things!

I'm a level 6 Wizard. I've been following the build here:
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/232660-Revisiting-paths-Builds-for-new-players?p=2777299#post2777299

But it seems dated since it mentions requirements for enhancements which aren't around anymore. I've been looking around and been having trouble finding recent guides for wizards. I've putting my points into Archmage enhancements. I see a lot of people say that Pale Master is the way to go, but I haven't found a good guide to how it works. I tried the skeleton pet and it seemed abysmal.

I don't want to throw Fireballs at everything, instead be more utility for the party and do a lot of damage to high value targets. I typically use the first level Ice Ray spell with +ice spell power equipment on stationary casters/ranges and it works well when it hits, but it also misses a lot.

I guess my questions are:

1) Where can I find guides on how to build an Archmage Wizard and a Pale Master Wizard?

2) How can I be most helpful to my group, what buffs should I bring as a Wizard, what should my role be?

3) Tips on how to fulfill that role (equipment I should wear, consumables I should buy/bring)?

4) *Bonus* How can I make some extra coin to buy equipment at my level?

I don't need everything answered at once, but thanks in advance for any direction anyone can offer, and I look forward to playing with you all!

stoerm
06-24-2014, 04:35 AM
Hi,

Here are some quick pointers. Yes skellies are useless. Take the undead forms, spell like abilities (SLAs) and everything that improves your negative energy casting or your undead forms.

1)
http://www.ddocast.com/2014/02/ddocast-322-casting-wizards/
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/422622

Playstyle: Go in undead form, heal yourself with (lesser) death aura and negative energy burst. Stay away from mobs using jump. Instakill or kite mobs through crowd control + aoe combo (web/disco ball + icestorm/wall of fire/acid rain) etc.

2) Role: Damage, instakill, crowd control, buffs, general badass

3)
Buffs: DDO has become more individualistic these days (unfortunately), but usual buffs will include rage, haste (aka hage and raste), greater heroism (GH) and blur.
CC: Crowd control comes in the form of web (conjuration focus), disco ball, irresistable dance, hold monster (enchantment) etc.
Instakills: Finger of death, wail of the banshee (necromancy) and phantasmal killer (illusion)
Damage: Wall of fire, Ice storm, necromantic ray, necro SLAs, polar ray, acid rain

Items:
Spell focus items (necromancy, conjuration, enchantment, evocation) to land instakills, crowd control and damage spells
Spell power and lore items for damage spells
Int item
Con, vitality, false life items for HP.
Resistance and dex/wis items for saves

Consumables:
All negative condition removers (curse, blindness, disease, lesser restoration)
Cure pots for "those" situations
Raise clicky if at all possible (make a positive-positive Shroud tier 2 item when the time comes)

4)
http://www.ddocast.com/2014/01/ddocast-319-making-plat/

DDO Cast is good for listening on the way to work/school.

Rysnal101
06-24-2014, 06:12 AM
I really appreciate all the information! I didn't have/know about either of those spells, and now those builds make a lot more sense.

Thanks for linking ddocast too. I've started an episode and it seems like a great source of info.

Thanks again!

Purkilius
06-24-2014, 06:27 AM
I really appreciate all the information! I didn't have/know about either of those spells, and now those builds make a lot more sense.

Thanks for linking ddocast too. I've started an episode and it seems like a great source of info.

Thanks again!

Just hang in there Wizards are hard to play to begin with but after a few levels you will start to feel the power :)

If you go to the wizard class section on the forums and ask questions I bet you will get very good advice.

ironegrip
06-24-2014, 10:11 AM
- Welcome to DDO. As a wizzy, you have a lot of options, but typically, those that go with pale master are built to insta-kill. If you are not warforged, I would suggest going heavily into pale master for self healing, and picking up the lesser death aura, death aura, and negative energy bursts for self healing.

A large part of your effectiveness as a wizard comes from your choice of spells. You will find that you wont have the SP pool that a sorc does to continuously nuke mobs for extended periods of time. Instead, you’ll want to rely on consistent AOE dots or insta-kills to clear groups of monsters. Buffs are essential ofcourse, and knowing what to pack can be very important.

From your post, it appears you want to have good crowd control, with the ability to take down high-value targets when necessary. A wizard will have the DC’s to hold/enchant/web groups of enemies, making them easy for your party to pick off. Or you could take the direct route and simply use your own death spells to clear the field.

Now, onto the details:

Enhancements: Do note that due to the enhancement overhaul, you don’t need to be exclusively Pale master or Archmage, in fact, you should heavily splash between the two (of course you will only be able to get to tier 5 in one). Again, as mentioned before, pale master is essential for self healing if you are not a warforged. As you have come to realize, the skeleton is a trap. AI in ddo isn’t the best, and I would not waste any points here. Everything else is free game really, I typically don’t take any of the metamagic enhancements, as there are far more valuable places to spend those points. The Archmage tree core abilities are where you pick up some valuable SLA’s. I would visit DDOwiki and see which schools you want to specialize in. Typically, Necromancy helps boost your death spell DCs, and gives access to a cheap enervate spell-like ability, Evocation has spammable magic missiles to help with supplemental damage, and conjuration has web, a fantastic crowd control spell. I find it worthwhile to dip into the eldritch knight tree as well, to pick up some extra PRR for the endgame and extra hp.

Spell Choice: I’ll just list some key spells most wizards will carry here:
Lv1: protection against evil, nightshield/shield, jump
Lv2: blur, invisibility, web[crowd control], resist energy[replaceable with guild buffs], lesser death aura
Lv3: haste, displacement[your best damage mitigation], rage,
Lv4: Dimension Door[very handy utility], enervate[kinda optional, helps with dcs], icestorm/firewall/acid rain [your choice of aoe dot, I prefer acid rain for the larger damage], death aura, fireshield[helps against web and fire/cold dmg]
Lv5: protection against elements[self explanatory], Eladar’s/Niac’s [take both, single target dps dots]
Lv6: Circle of Death[aoe death spell FTW, you’ll use this each time it’s off cooldown], Undeath to Death[best way for pale masters to deal with undead], GH[everyone loves GH], Disintegrate[For everything else you cant deal with]
Lv7: finger of death[low cooldown single death spell], discoball[awesome crowd control]
Lv8: irresistible dance [when dc’s aren’t enough]
Lv9: wail of the banshee[yup, another death spell], Energy Drain[super enervate], Power word: Kill, Mass Hold

Items: This is simple enough, just get what you can as you level. Look for castersticks with bonus negative energy and whatever element you want to specialize in, also look for DC increasing items. You may find as a first life caster that you need spell penetration for pesky drow and demons, so you can keep an eye out for those items as well. Don’t worry about consumables too much, just make sure you always have enough spell components.

Jingwei
06-24-2014, 11:03 AM
One of the more new player friendly wizard builds in EllisDees Pale Trapper (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/422622-Pale-Trapper-for-new-players-%28Human-18-2-Wizard-Rogue%29) which is reasonably up to date. There are other newbie friendly builds in his signature.

Rysnal101
06-24-2014, 10:00 PM
Thank all of you for taking the time to help, I really appreciate it!

Andoris
06-24-2014, 10:16 PM
I a little years ago, and it had the best community I ever experienced in an MMO. I'm back and trying to get a handle on things!

I'm a level 6 Wizard. I've been following the build here:
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/232660-Revisiting-paths-Builds-for-new-players?p=2777299#post2777299

But it seems dated since it mentions requirements for enhancements which aren't around anymore. I've been looking around and been having trouble finding recent guides for wizards. I've putting my points into Archmage enhancements. I see a lot of people say that Pale Master is the way to go, but I haven't found a good guide to how it works. I tried the skeleton pet and it seemed abysmal.

I don't want to throw Fireballs at everything, instead be more utility for the party and do a lot of damage to high value targets. I typically use the first level Ice Ray spell with +ice spell power equipment on stationary casters/ranges and it works well when it hits, but it also misses a lot.

I guess my questions are:

1) Where can I find guides on how to build an Archmage Wizard and a Pale Master Wizard?

2) How can I be most helpful to my group, what buffs should I bring as a Wizard, what should my role be?

3) Tips on how to fulfill that role (equipment I should wear, consumables I should buy/bring)?

4) *Bonus* How can I make some extra coin to buy equipment at my level?

I don't need everything answered at once, but thanks in advance for any direction anyone can offer, and I look forward to playing with you all!

While my guide is focused on end game the concepts hold true throughout the build. The first post in the thread covers general info and concepts that are useful for any DC focused PM. It also has reference links for a full spell review.

Check out the guide here: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/405017-Pale-Master-Guide

I did a write up for someone TRing into a wizard a while ago that might help. While much of the gear is a bit difficult for a starting player, it will give you a good idea of some things to look for. Having someone that can Cannith craft can really help you out when starting

Here is a excerpt message I drafted to help another new wizard player out:

I play the wizard as a warrior for levels 1-10ish, using my spells to augement my melee abilities or throw a fireball/firewall into a room to damage the mobs, followed by a cleave from Canifex/SoS finish them off.

Once you hit about level 10 your invulnerability robe stops being effective, and the incoming damage starts to get too much for your low hp to deal with. That is also when you start to get stronger spells and the spell points to effectively use them.

I typically do not use undead form until level 12 when you get wraith form. Zombie is just too slow, and vampire is a death trap unless you take improved shrouding (which you will be around lvl 12 when you get the APs for that anyways).

Level 1-4
Trinket: Melee Alacrity 10%
Head: Crafted (Flexible) Secret Door Detection
Neck: Necklace of Contemplation
Goggles: Trapblast
Bracers: Bracers of Air (ML4)
Body: Crafted Invulnerability Robe (ML-2)
Cloak: Mirror Cloak (ML -3)
Ring: Ring (colorless: Masters Gift) / Crafted Enchant Saves +5
Boots: Open
Gloves: Open
Belt: Crafted Moderate Fort (ML-3)
Quiver: Quiver of Alacrity
Weapon: Crafted Holy Q-Staff

Levels 5-9
Trinket: Stalwart / PLIS / Archmagi Ioun Stone
Head: Frost
Neck: Crafted Int +4
Goggles: Goggles of Intuition
Bracers: Crafted Flexable Con +6
Body: Crafted Invulnerability Robe w/ Large Guild Augment - 20 hp
Cloak: Mirror Cloak (ML -3) Ring: Ring of resistance +5 / Crafted Heavy Fort
Boots: Corrosion
Gloves: Shocking
Belt: Improved/Greater False life (colorless: masters gift)
Weapon: Canifex/SoS

Levels 11+

Trinket: Litany / PLIS / Archmagi Ioun Stone
Head: Green Steel Con-Opp (150 SP)
Neck: Torc / Sages Locket
Goggles: Crafted +6 int (ML 9) || Sages (ML-15)
Bracers: Demon Consort
Body: Shroud of the Abbot (ML – 14)
Cloak: Good luck +2 (Masters Gift) – ML 9
Ring: Ring of Resistance +5 / Crafted Necromancy +2 (LGA – 80 spell points)
Boots: Rock Boots –ML 11 tier 2 (Immune to slippery Surfaces)
Gloves: Green Steel Triple Earth (45 hp)
Belt: Electric Haze (ML -13)
Weapon: Luck Blade (Nullification, Combustion, Lightning) / Green Steel (+6 con, +1 except int, +2 insightful int,)

What server do you play on? If you are one Ghallanda feel free to look me up, I would be happy to help you out.

Kasiddy
06-24-2014, 10:23 PM

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/405017-Pale-Master-Guide

Not a new thread, but updated.
Don't spend too much time on old commentary.
Also, this is not quite newbie friendly and tends to focus on end game.
You do not need past lives or a specific race and other rare gear to build a fun and effective pale master.
(That said, mine is a drow with 5 past lives specifically for DCs and Spell Pen...)
However, there is a lot of stuff in there worth working toward, and basic enhancements and spell selections should be good for any aspiring PM.

You should also be aware that there are some arcane spells not easily available from scrolls.
Theres a list here: http://ddowiki.com/page/The_Rare_Arcane_Scroll_List
Quite a few of them are of interest to Pale Masters, so be sure to take these at level-up.
You can get other spells you want at those levels from scrolls.

Edit: ah, I'm priviledged to be ninja'd by andoris.

Vondlin
07-14-2014, 10:27 AM
and helpful

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/405017-Pale-Master-Guide

Not a new thread, but updated.
Don't spend too much time on old commentary.
Also, this is not quite newbie friendly and tends to focus on end game.
You do not need past lives or a specific race and other rare gear to build a fun and effective pale master.
(That said, mine is a drow with 5 past lives specifically for DCs and Spell Pen...)
However, there is a lot of stuff in there worth working toward, and basic enhancements and spell selections should be good for any aspiring PM.

You should also be aware that there are some arcane spells not easily available from scrolls.
Theres a list here: http://ddowiki.com/page/The_Rare_Arcane_Scroll_List
Quite a few of them are of interest to Pale Masters, so be sure to take these at level-up.
You can get other spells you want at those levels from scrolls.

Edit: ah, I'm priviledged to be ninja'd by andoris.