PDA

View Full Version : Best hire to accompany an Assassin (Heroics)

Ryan220
06-22-2014, 01:32 PM
Im currently levelling my Assassin. Hes only L5 but already Im having a whale of a time with him.One thing Ive noticed is that if I dont hold aggro I do a lot more damage. I didnt realise just how much damage SA was.

I mix soloing with grouping, but this post is relating to soloing only

So Im thinking its time to take a hireling along, switch him active and let him get the aggro.

Due to survivability issues of the hireling Im guessing Im limited to Cleric, FvS, Bard and possibly Pally

To save me a whole heap of trial and error, does anyone of our Rogue community have a preferred list of hires, or have any advice on the subject?

Many thanks

Ryan

kamimitsu
06-22-2014, 08:11 PM
When soloing I almost always take a cleric with the "cure" line of spells. You don't even need to set them on 'attack'. Even on defend, many of them will dash into battle and keep themselves (and you) healed. Some are better than others, and quite a few are pretty darn survivable. Don't forget to tell them to stay put when you want to sneak ahead.

SA will only get more important as you level, so finding ways to keep SA going is a big deal. Take most of your threat reduction options and try to find a spot for deception items if you get them. If you have greensteel materials from other characters, a Radiance2 weapon (with blindness) is about as good as it gets, but you may have improved deception by then, which is almost as good.

ps. At some point you'll find a hireling FVS (around 15) called Larafay. She is hilarious in that she'll spam cometfall (and greater command, I think) over and over and over until she's out of mana. It's ridiculous but awesome at the same time.

Mercureal
06-23-2014, 11:07 AM
Hirelings can be useful, but you don't want to become too dependent on them. They aren't completely reliable and they lose their usefulness (other than as cheap healing) in more difficult content.

That said, the level 7 cleric Flower is very good for the the purposes you describe, and you can keep using her up to level 9 quests (below Elite, anyway). The level 10 Favoured Soul Ruthok is pretty good as well, and Larafay is a psycho; she'll obliterate everything without your help, right up until she runs out of spellpoints (which can happen pretty quickly). Warforged wizard and sorceror hirelings can also keep themselves healed, and are decent at drawing aggro, but as casters, their HP totals are low. I haven't used the bard hirelings, but I imagine they wouldn't be great at drawing and holding aggro.

If you've got your UMD high enough to use cure wands, you can try some of the melee hirelings and use the wands to heal them up between fights. They don't do a lot of damage, but they draw attention and usually have enough HP to survive the fight.

Ryan220
06-24-2014, 01:06 AM
Thank you for the replies.

I shall take my time and try out a few different hires along the way and see how it goes.

Its a prime chance to try out those hirelings Ive never looked twice at before.

cru121
06-24-2014, 01:22 AM
start with Larafay... and enjoy the piking