PDA

View Full Version : Best favored enemies?

Sarzor
06-20-2014, 12:27 PM
I feel like this question comes up alot, but I couldn't find any answers I liked.

Presuming one gets 3 favored enemies, I was trying to figure out what served me best heroic and epic.
Undead - Feels like a natural. They're everywhere in all content. The only enemy I can think of with content built around them
Construct/Elemental - I used to go with these because they couldn't be crit, but I just don't feel there's enough around to justify them any more
Evil outsider - They seem to be everywhere, but if you take out Shavarath, which noone runs any more, hard to justify again.
Giant - Seems to be alot of them particularly in Gianthold, so might be a good one.
Elf - Motu has a whole lotta drow. Not worth it for heroic.
Human - A whole lotta them everywhere, but none are tough to kill.
Plants - High Road and Druid's Deep have alot of them. Not really any elsewhere, but those plants are annoying to fight.

Nothing else really stands out to me.

Given that I don't do Shadowfell/Wheloon, or 3BC (just not my cup of tea) and do alot of Jungle/Wiz King, epic GH, High Road/DD, and motu content, I was leaning towards Undead, Giant, and Elf. That leaves Evil Outsiders out, and just wanted to see what other people did.

Grailhawk
06-20-2014, 12:41 PM
Given that I don't do Shadowfell/Wheloon, or 3BC (just not my cup of tea) and do alot of Jungle/Wiz King, epic GH, High Road/DD, and motu content, I was leaning towards Undead, Giant, and Elf. That leaves Evil Outsiders out, and just wanted to see what other people did.

I wouldn't take Elf drow the motu elfs aren't really hard to kill they don't have high HP. Aberration or EO are better choices.

Thrudh
06-20-2014, 12:46 PM
You can change them with feat swaps...

I would go with undead, giants, and evil outsiders for heroic.

undead and giants are still good in epic, but evil outsiders not as much... Probably go with elf for a while, then switch to human or maybe plants

Qhualor
06-20-2014, 12:52 PM
Keep in mind outsider is just a generalization and evil or chaotic is just a specific type. You can find a lot of evil in Wiz King, LOD chain, GH has some and DD. I still think giant, undead and evil outsider are the top 3.

Sarzor
06-20-2014, 01:07 PM
So it sounds like I'll stick with Undead, Giants and Evil Outsiders for leveling. Probably give some serious consideration to trading elves in for EO's for epics. Between VON3 and Motu, that's a whole lot of normally-run content.

Maybe when I get to epics I'll actually pay more attention to what I run most and plan around that.

unbongwah
06-20-2014, 01:41 PM
I still think giant, undead and evil outsider are the top 3.
That's still my usual advice as well.

If you can afford the feat swaps, you can make your final FE a "floater" you swap based on which content you're running: e.g., Construct when you're farming House Cannith quests; then switch to Elf when you get to MotU; Dragon if you spend a lot of time in epic Tor, FTP, TOTD, etc.

Sarzor
06-20-2014, 02:18 PM
That's still my usual advice as well.

If you can afford the feat swaps, you can make your final FE a "floater" you swap based on which content you're running: e.g., Construct when you're farming House Cannith quests; then switch to Elf when you get to MotU; Dragon if you spend a lot of time in epic Tor, FTP, TOTD, etc.

That may be a little too rich for my blood, but there seems to be pretty near-universal thoughts on Undead, Giants, and Evil Outsiders, so that's the path I plan to go. Once I go epic, I'll be keeping tabs on what I tend to run the most, and after I epic TR, I'll likely gear more towards those.

byzantinebob
06-21-2014, 01:57 PM
I'm a fan of Aberrations because anything that kills beholders faster is a good thing.

CThruTheEgo
06-21-2014, 02:23 PM
I'm a fan of Aberrations because anything that kills beholders faster is a good thing.

Several common mobs in MotU are aberrations also (driders, yuan-ti).

I consider undead, giants (ogres are considered giants as well), evil outsiders, and aberrations to be the most important ones since together they cover a lot of common mobs throughout a large amount of content. The 5th one is really whatever you want. All of those mentioned previously in the thread are good choices, though none are essential.

Eth
06-21-2014, 02:58 PM
I usually go with:
Undeads
Giants
Human
Evil Outsider

Note that you can also twist in Undeads or Constructs from Primal Avatar (Tier 2).

skaught78
06-21-2014, 04:12 PM
I find it depends by level. There are a lot of undead in the game, but I don't find them particularly hard to kill anyway, so I usually skip them. Ele's and constructs also seem good, but again, not really enough super powerful ones in the game to justify. I tended to take it against things that can kill me easily like beholders.

EllisDee37
06-21-2014, 04:27 PM
I was always a big fan of constructs because of the training dummy, plus they have fortification. But that's no longer nearly as good without the dummy.

Undead is the clear #1 best choice.

The next two choices are roughly equivalent:

Evil Outsiders aren't just amrath, or even just heroics like vale. Evil outsiders abound in the demonweb, most of the eberron epics, and show up enough to notice in high road, gianthold, and shadowfell.

Giants are of course present in gianthold, but they start showing up as early as level 6. (eg: Caged Trolls, Redwillow's Ruins.)

After the top three of undead, evil outsiders and giants, the next tier down is mainly a three-way tie between Elementals, Aberrations, and Constructs. Aberrations are most useful for will o the wisps, but any of these three is a solid choice.

Worth mentioning are Magical Beasts (purple worm) and Monstrous Humanoids (yuan-ti, medusa). These probably aren't worth taking, but if you have extra favored enemies, like maybe a pure ranger with two extras from deepwood stalker and primal avatar, then these are the two I'd choose between for my 7th favored enemy.

EDIT: Actually, in reading over the thread, human would be a decent choice. I don't think elf has enough presence to be worth it, but if you want to go with elf you can help help justify it by adding VON3 and BoB to the MotU chain in the list of elf-heavy quests.

Monkey_Archer
06-21-2014, 05:10 PM
Obviously the best choices will depend on the content your run the most. I'm running a ranger/rogue build so I prefer to take undead/construct/elemental, possibly plants if I had a 4th. I figure that if a large portion of your dps is either from crits and/or sneak attack its better to have FE bonuses vs creatures that can resist that kind of damage.

BOgre
06-21-2014, 06:22 PM
Undead for sure.

Giant, if you have trouble with giants, then for sure. I don't particularly have any trouble with them, so they're optional for me.

EOs used to be a for sure, and they're still all over the place, but they're no longer a particularly terrifying threat, so again, optional.

After a few runs of Brothers of the Forge, Construct has become a must for me. Anything to kill them as quickly as possible. Between all the busted gear and weapons and the constant clanging, I'll do just about anything to kill the wobbots as quickly as possible.

Elementals. They're not everywhere, they're not all that nasty, but I'm a TWFer and I'm tired of using up an entire inventory page on various ellie beaters. I'm happier spending the FE feat.

Eth
06-22-2014, 06:30 AM
When people here talk about constructs - do you mean constructs or living constructs?

nibel
06-25-2014, 07:45 PM
I also vote for the usual top 3: Undead, Giant, Evil Outsider. In this order.

Undeads are found from level 1 (Necromancer's Doom) all the way to cap (Temple of Deathwyrm). There is almost no level where you cant' find some undead quests around. Pick as first choice, and never let it go (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk).

Giants appear from level 6 (Caged Trolls, Redwillow) also all the way close to cap (Gianthold, Stormhorns). Also, giants are known as being a huge bag of HP. Anything to kill them faster is welcome.

Evil Outsiders start appearing from level 10 (Threnal) and also never stops. Even if you skip Amrath, there are plenty of them around. Sure, if you specifically only play stuff without them (Druid Deep, Wheloon, Gianthold), skip. But if you like to play a good variety of quests, you eventually will bash heads with a few of them now and then.

Aberrations, Humans and Constructs are solid choices as well for pure frequency. Constructs were more valuable when LoB and shroud (portals) were endgame material, but them being crit-immune put them high on the list.

Running down on the lane for VERY specific content is monstrous humanoids (minotaurs, gargoyles, medusas, yuan-ti...), elf (von 3, OoB, motu) and elementals (crit-immune, native unbreakable DR, common in all levels).

When people here talk about constructs - do you mean constructs or living constructs?

Doesn't matter. The FE feat works on both.

Arlathen
06-26-2014, 08:13 AM
1: Undead
5: Human
10: Giants
15: Evil Outsiders
20: Elves / Dragons

Another vote to the Undead / Giants / Evil Outsider triumvirate. My ranger tends to fight a lot of Dragons, I find, once I've capped a life and sit there raiding for a while. I like that extra damage.

If I could squeeze in the Deepwood Sniper / Primal Avatar extra Favoured enemies, Elementals and Aberrations would be high on my list. Every extra point of DPS in the Fire on Thunderpeak Mountain raid is worthwhile having.