PDA

View Full Version : My character sucks or do i?

Sorfosh
06-19-2014, 01:58 PM
Hi guys. I have been playing the game for couple of days ( i know not to long but still) and i reached a barrier. I am a level 6 Dwarven Fighter and i just suck. I go on a elite quest with my friend (warforged level 4) and he owns the place while i run from mobs with a tail between my legs. And i have no idea what i am doing wrong, i chose feats and enhancements on my own so it might be the case. I am ready to use my lesser wood just so i can get out of this cesspit. If any of you know any Pre-builds (with enhancments/feats/skills in order) could you paste them in here, i had big trouble finding up to date ones for F2P. Also i apparently chose wrong armor. What should i be looking at while picking all the gear (armor/ring/helmet etc.). For example i have a helmet with resistance (will,fortitude,reflex saves) and i heard it is a bad helmet, is that true? Isnt dodge and resisting Stuns important? Please i need help. All help is greatly appreciated.

Livmo
06-19-2014, 02:11 PM
Hi guys. I have been playing the game for couple of days ( i know not to long but still) and i reached a barrier. I am a level 6 Dwarven Fighter and i just suck. I go on a elite quest with my friend (warforged level 4) and he owns the place while i run from mobs with a tail between my legs. And i have no idea what i am doing wrong, i chose feats and enhancements on my own so it might be the case. I am ready to use my lesser wood just so i can get out of this cesspit. If any of you know any Pre-builds (with enhancments/feats/skills in order) could you paste them in here, i had big trouble finding up to date ones for F2P. Also i apparently chose wrong armor. What should i be looking at while picking all the gear (armor/ring/helmet etc.). For example i have a helmet with resistance (will,fortitude,reflex saves) and i heard it is a bad helmet, is that true? Isnt dodge and resisting Stuns important? Please i need help. All help is greatly appreciated.

There is no right or wrong per se, but many ways to do the same thing differently. As long as you're having fun, that is all that matters.

Here are some resources you may find useful.

Starting a Fighter (http://ddowiki.com/page/Starting_a_Fighter)
Fighter (http://ddowiki.com/page/Fighter)
Dwarf (http://ddowiki.com/page/Dwarf)
Fighter class feats (http://ddowiki.com/page/Category:Fighter_class_feats)
Fighter bonus feats (http://ddowiki.com/page/Category:Fighter_bonus_feats)
Skills (http://ddowiki.com/page/Skills)
Enhancements (http://ddowiki.com/page/Enhancements)
Kensei enhancements (http://ddowiki.com/page/Kensei_enhancements)
Stalwart Defender enhancements (http://ddowiki.com/page/Stalwart_Defender_enhancements)

Hopefully others may give you specific builds.

Sorfosh
06-19-2014, 02:21 PM
I surely will read those though i would really appreciated if someone gave me a pre-build to start with.
Started reading those and these just say what is what. And i know what does a certain skill do but i do not know how usefull it is;/

ironegrip
06-19-2014, 03:33 PM
A question would be what kind of fighter did you plan to be in the end? Tanking? or pure DPS? Dwarves gain lots of inherent bonuses with axes, so I assume you're an axe build. Another big question would be do you plan to multiclass or stay pure fighter?

Sorfosh
06-19-2014, 03:38 PM
I have no idea. i am guessing a DPS machine with a good survivability would be nice. I dont really care if i multiclass or not i just want a good character ^^ (remember i am F2P so i do not have all the classes)

A3oN95
06-19-2014, 03:50 PM
Hello, and welcome to the game :)

First of all, I think it is relatively normal to fail on elite with your first toon, even if you have a proper build. Knowing the quest (where are the dangerous traps/most powerful mobs) plays a huge role in the quests' sucess rate (is you warforged pal a new player as well?). Above that, it is possible for a build to stomp the early levels and suck at end-level (and vice-versa), but you don't need to think about that if you're just starting.

You might want to save the heart for later as well, and learn the game of Normal/Hard difficulty until you get the hang of some of the mechanics (I remember playing a really weak Bard as my first toon, but I only made a new character after getting the 400 favor to unlock the Drow race... I just loved the pointy-eared/red-eyed toons, I suppose :P). Also, as a fighter, I find it hard to survive the first few levels without a Cleric/Favoured Soul/Bard hireling with good healing spells (but I suck at meleeing anyway).

If you just want a solid pre-made build, you can check one of these (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/422251). Most of them are completely or almost completely F2P (just ignore all the monk splashes :P). Some of the threads have explanations behind their choices (especially the ones from EllisDee and Unbongwah, since they usually make newbie-oriented builds).

The reason why you see so much outdated information if because there was a massive character development overhaul last year, when update 19 went live. So when looking for information, keep in mind that anything prior to 19th August 2013 might no longer apply nowadays.

Probably someone with more time and knowledge than me might assist you better, but I hope this is enough to give you some insight. Above all else, don't feel obligated to play any generic build or doing elite-only runs. As Livmo worte, the most important thing is for you to have fun. In time, you'll be able to be success even with non-optimal/flavor builds ;)

ironegrip
06-19-2014, 03:53 PM
DPS machine sounds like a pure Kensai 20 fighter to me. You could splash some ranger and two-weapon fight, or if you can get 17 dex, you can just take the feats. Are you running on a 28 point or 32 point build?

Rogue is viable as a dip for evasion, as you probably don’t have monk class, or you could multiclass into something with self-healing capabilities.

A big problem with pure fighters is usually their lack of healing capabilities early game. Bring lots of pots to help you between fights, and an option would be to spec. into tactical feats to help control the battlefield. As a dwarf and fighter, you should be able to boost your trips, stuns, etc. into usable range.

Sorfosh
06-19-2014, 04:01 PM
The truth is that all the builds do not fit the 6 levels i advanced (no 6 consecutive fighter levels ;/ )
so even if i use the lesser reincarnation i do not fit in these criteria. Also i have a question if collectables are worth collecting? got a butt load of them but they seem useless as the vendors give **** for them.

Also could anyone help me with picking my equipment?

Qhualor
06-19-2014, 04:13 PM
I wouldn't waste a lesser on a character with just 6 levels. better off just deleting and starting over if the build is that messed up.

Sorfosh
06-19-2014, 04:21 PM
Is it really necessery? no way other then that? i got so much favor and all of it will go puff ( i did like 20 quests elite)

PsychoBlonde
06-19-2014, 04:28 PM
The truth is that all the builds do not fit the 6 levels i advanced (no 6 consecutive fighter levels ;/ )

See, this right here may be your problem. When you describe your character as a "fighter" on these boards, people are going to assume you mean "I have 6 levels of fighter". Multi-classing is REALLY complex and NOT something that people new to the game should be doing. So what classes DO you actually have? If you did some kind of crazy nonsensical mix-and-match then a lesser is NOT going to help. You really will be better off starting over again on a brand new character.

In general, a 28 point build dwarf fighter at your level should look about like this:

Str 16 (10 points)
Dex 15 (8 points)
Con 18 (10 points if you're a dwarf)
Int 8
Wis 8
Cha 6

You should have 3 basic feats and 4 fighter feats by now, which should probably look like this:

level 1: Power Attack
Fighter level 1: Cleave
Fighter level 2: Weapon Focus: either Greataxe or Dwarven axe if you want to use a shield
Level 3: Toughness
Fighter level 4: Weapon Specialization: either Greataxe or Dwarven axe as above
Level 6: Great Cleave
Fighter level 6: Dodge

Put your level 4 level-up point in Strength.

It would also make it a lot easier to help you if you would explain WHAT you're having trouble doing. Can't kill enemies fast enough? Getting killed in one hit? Getting held/blinded/exhausted/etc. too much? Getting one-shot by traps?

What class is your buddy? Warforged is a race. Is he a melee type? An artificer? Artificers are pretty well overpowered at lower levels. A sorcerer? What?

rayworks
06-19-2014, 04:30 PM
Don't worry about favor too much. You'll get it back quickly enough. The first toon is usually the learning toon for most people. They try something out for a bit, and if it doesn't work out, delete and start again.

That said, a pure fighter as a first toon isn't a bad choice. Go to the forum section that deals with classes and check out the fighter section. Lots of good builds, but most depend on you having some experience. I'd say go with a dwarf kensai and spec in axes. Simple, efficient. Take STR, CON, DEX in that order on creation. Don't worry about the other stats much. If you want to swing two axes at once, change to STR, DEX, CON, but I don't recommend it for a first build. For feats go Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Weapons spec and focus for slashing weapons, Improved Crit Slash, Stunning Blow (need STR for it to be effective so make sure you have some). Lots of other feats you can take, but most are build-dependent. Get the heaviest armor you can wear, a great axe, a pile of cure wounds pots, and go to work.

PsychoBlonde
06-19-2014, 04:31 PM
Is it really necessery? no way other then that? i got so much favor and all of it will go puff ( i did like 20 quests elite)

Your favor doesn't go "puff" exactly. Anything account-based that you've unlocked (which won't be much, at this point) will remain unlocked. Any DDO points you've earned will remain earned. At this point the only thing you possibly have is, like, 1 bag from the coin lords. Favor rewards are few and far between in DDO and they aren't all that valuable. It's easy to get them back--most people do it dozens of times when they TR. The only thing VALUABLE you have from earning favor is DDO points and those you keep regardless of whether you delete the character or not.

Mahalko128
06-19-2014, 04:33 PM
Actually, most things from favor are valuable to the right people. He's probably around 250 favor by now, so his best bet would be to round out the favor at 300, then create a new one (but don't delete his previous one). Hopefully he can transfer his loot, equipment, and funds to the character through his friend.

Llewndyn
06-19-2014, 04:33 PM
I surely will read those though i would really appreciated if someone gave me a pre-build to start with.
Started reading those and these just say what is what. And i know what does a certain skill do but i do not know how usefull it is;/

I made a fighter for both of my sons when they started playing after letting them try to build on their own. They both came to me and asked what the problem was and I could see that though they had different characters (one was a wizard, the other a bard), they wanted to play melees. Here's what I did (they are both premium players):

1. Fighter, Customize, dwarf
2. I MAX Strength and then Max Constitution. If I have anything left I put it into Intelligence for skill points or Charisma for Intimidate. Usually Intelligence though.
3. Pick up Toughness, then THF, then Power Attack, then Cleave. Some people would pick up the first 2, then Dodge, then the other ones.
4. Really think, at this point, about what you want to build for. I find on all my characters, that I have NO idea how to get decent AC or PRR or whatever the cool kids call it, but I can get my Dodge and blur up pretty easy. Going for NOT getting hit as much is much easier than building to take a beating, at least as far as I'm concerned.
5. Once you have that in mind, work on getting the highest +(Stat), where (Stat) is Strength (Ogre Power), Constitution (Health), or Dodge. Saves are good, but unless you put points in Dex (reflex), Wisdom (will), you're not going to get it high enough to make a huge difference when it really becomes a problem.
6. If you go pure fighter, find a nice heavy plate with deathblock and something else on it, if I am too cheap to buy my boys armor I find them a retributive of Deathblock heavy plate.
7. Grab a Great Axe and a Maul or Great club and start swinging!

As far as enhancements, that's a can of worms I'll let smarter people than me answer for. I build fighters like that for my kiddos and they love them.

Good luck, and if you're on Ghallanda send Llewndyn a mail or something and I'll get you a couple items that might help.

rayworks
06-19-2014, 04:34 PM
By the way, what server are you on and whats your toon's name? Some of us can probably help out a bit in-game.

Qhualor
06-19-2014, 04:39 PM

its easier if you list what your current build is. what feats, enhancements and stuff did you take? it could be just simply going to see Fred or taking better enhancements. than again, it could be the way you allocated your stats. if that's the case than I still say re-rolling is better. I would just assume use a lesser at cap than with just 6 levels when its quite easy for a first life character to get back to level 6 again.

it could also be because you are new to the game and just aren't experienced enough yet on how to play with tactics, using your head to take as less damage as possible while still dishing out high dps or that as a fighter you have to rely on pots to stay alive and cant self buff without umd. its just going to take some time to learn the game, the monsters, the quests, how many points to put in what stat, acquiring better gear, etc. it took me 4 tries in 4 months before I finally had an understanding on the mechanics of the game and it was 6 months after that that what I learned before was just the beginning. its a little confusing and frustrating at times at first, but eventually with experience, it does become easier.

the first part though is you listing your current build and see if its fixable as is and we can go from there.

Sorfosh
06-19-2014, 04:44 PM
I am a level 6 pure fighter.
here are my stats
http://postimg.org/gallery/2vnd7jxo/f6f6a1a2/
Thank you for all the support guys i am really surprised all of you are that helpful :)
Regarding what llewdyn said, is it really worth putting everything in dodge? seems like putting everything on one card, unlucky rolls and a quick death- or am i wrong?

A3oN95
06-19-2014, 04:53 PM
Your stats and feats seem fine tbh. It might help if you tell us the kind of problems uou face (are you loosing HP too fast? or are you getting stun/immobilized too often?)

Btw, you gear has a problem that might be influencing things. Bonuses from the same source do not stack, only the higher one counts. So the Armored Bracers (+4), Gloves (+3) and Ring (+5), being all an "Armor" bonus, don't give you 12 AC (aka "armor"), only 5 (and keep in mind that, in this specific case, the armor clothes you're wearing is also a Armor type bonus, which means there is a possibility that NONE of these 3 items is doing anything for you). You can check when this happens by looking at a blue-colored text in the chat when you equip these items at the same time, or simply by checking the bonus type of the items in their description.

Sorfosh
06-19-2014, 04:56 PM
so the items are the cause of all this ruckus? god damn it! Are there any guides regarding how to pick items? Also how to get them as i probably sold the RIGHT items to wear.

Qhualor
06-19-2014, 05:11 PM
here are my stats

that's actually not bad. get rid of the gloves though. they do you no good for anything, especially since you are not a trapper. get rid of the black widow bracers. you are wearing redundant gear and armored does not stack. you are only getting +5 from the ring. im assuming you are wearing the belt for the fort and the boots for the +2 disease and not because you think speed stacks? that's fine, since you don't have much plat and have to rely mainly on what you loot. cant tell which is higher speed or if they are the same though. somehow, you need a con item. as we say on the forums, "con is not a dump stat!" :)

I really don't see anything terrible with your stat allocations or skill point allocations. the one thing I disagree with is putting points into a cross class skill that requires 2 points for 1 point of umd. by level 20, you wont have the umd for anything really useful at your current pace and you made Charisma as a dump stat. your Intelligence is high and you don't appear to be a Stalwart Defender. 13 Int is required for Combat Expertise. I assume you put more points in Int for extra skill points? base will only get you 1 point, but I would lower it and put the extra points into Charisma if you want better umd. otherwise, for a fighter, balance, intimidate, even number for tumble and that's it and heal are the most important ones.

I see that you are dwarf. there is a dwarf enhancement Throw Your Weight Around, top tier, that uses con for damage instead of strength. you could also lower your str down a few points and invest in con if you prefer to use that stat instead.

these suggestions are based on if you are going pure. the build itself isn't terrible with just a few things to change if you are not willing to re-roll. you could spend the lesser now if you want. it is yours and can do as you please, but if if you do re-roll/lesser I would suggest the stat changes I said earlier. you could also go at minimum 2 Rogue, but its always better to do that at level 1 when you have the most skill points to spend. that way you can evade some damage and its easier to get better umd since its not a cross class skill for rogues.

other than that, I get the feeling the other part of your problem is just experience. it will come with time and if elite is too much for you, there is always hard and normal until you get better at the game.

Livmo
06-19-2014, 05:15 PM
here are my stats
Thank you for all the support guys i am really surprised all of you are that helpful :)
Regarding what llewdyn said, is it really worth putting everything in dodge? seems like putting everything on one card, unlucky rolls and a quick death- or am i wrong?

May have a stacking issue. The gloves and the ring in that one shot don't stack for +8. Only +5 is they are the same type of armor bonus.

I use this as a resource from time to time:

http://www.gamergeoff.com/an-exercise-in-stacking/

AbyssalMage
06-19-2014, 05:16 PM
In general, a 28 point build dwarf fighter at your level should look about like this:

Str 16 (10 points)
Dex 15 (8 points)
Con 18 (10 points if you're a dwarf)
Int 8
Wis 8
Cha 6

You should have 3 basic feats and 4 fighter feats by now, which should probably look like this:

level 1: Power Attack
Fighter level 1: Cleave
Fighter level 2: Weapon Focus: either Greataxe or Dwarven axe if you want to use a shield
Level 3: Toughness
Fighter level 4: Weapon Specialization: either Greataxe or Dwarven axe as above
Level 6: Great Cleave
Fighter level 6: Dodge

Put your level 4 level-up point in Strength.

First, this ^
Should be about what you have. If you feats don't look exactly like this don't panic. Fighters have a ton of feats.

Second, running elite is more about knowledge than anything else. How to use corners, ledges, and timing is more important than build in most cases.

Third, my opinion is fighter is a horrible first class as it has no self-sufficiency (innate healing) but you can make it 1 - 20 with any class/race period. Healing potions and Mercenaries (more cost effective but very dumb/suicidal) will get you through the game.

Welcome to the game. Relax and enjoy your game sessions. Expect to learn a lot over the next month(s) (or years in my case).

About your gear...

Head: Resist
Goggles: Deadly
Neck: Health
Chest: Vitality or (Frozen Tunic0 (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Frozen_Tunic) for the 5% chance at Freezing Ice.
Hands: Ogre
Back: *Open*
Belt: False Life
Wrist: (Bracers of Wind) (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Bracers_of_Wind) Cannith challenges. Do "NOT" upgrade, very minor benefit.
Ring 1: (Ring of the Stalker) (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Ring_of_the_Stalker) *upgrade*
Ring 2: Speed or Dex
Trinket: Voice (paid content)
Boots: Speed or Dex

Best you can find for each slot. Not positive Seeker comes on Rings :(
@ lvl 9 you will want to fit in 100% fortification. There are a few (slot) options for that.

Doh
06-19-2014, 05:25 PM

my first character i rerolled a few times. first lifers level quickly. if something doesnt work right reroll. and find a build you like.

Sorfosh
06-19-2014, 05:36 PM
Z
that's actually not bad. get rid of the gloves though. they do you no good for anything, especially since you are not a trapper. get rid of the black widow bracers. you are wearing redundant gear and armored does not stack. you are only getting +5 from the ring. im assuming you are wearing the belt for the fort and the boots for the +2 disease and not because you think speed stacks? that's fine, since you don't have much plat and have to rely mainly on what you loot. cant tell which is higher speed or if they are the same though. somehow, you need a con item. as we say on the forums, "con is not a dump stat!" :)

I really don't see anything terrible with your stat allocations or skill point allocations. the one thing I disagree with is putting points into a cross class skill that requires 2 points for 1 point of umd. by level 20, you wont have the umd for anything really useful at your current pace and you made Charisma as a dump stat. your Intelligence is high and you don't appear to be a Stalwart Defender. 13 Int is required for Combat Expertise. I assume you put more points in Int for extra skill points? base will only get you 1 point, but I would lower it and put the extra points into Charisma if you want better umd. otherwise, for a fighter, balance, intimidate, even number for tumble and that's it and heal are the most important ones.

I see that you are dwarf. there is a dwarf enhancement Throw Your Weight Around, top tier, that uses con for damage instead of strength. you could also lower your str down a few points and invest in con if you prefer to use that stat instead.

these suggestions are based on if you are going pure. the build itself isn't terrible with just a few things to change if you are not willing to re-roll. you could spend the lesser now if you want. it is yours and can do as you please, but if if you do re-roll/lesser I would suggest the stat changes I said earlier. you could also go at minimum 2 Rogue, but its always better to do that at level 1 when you have the most skill points to spend. that way you can evade some damage and its easier to get better umd since its not a cross class skill for rogues.

other than that, I get the feeling the other part of your problem is just experience. it will come with time and if elite is too much for you, there is always hard and normal until you get better at the game.
As you said, it is not Terrible so you think i could manage to level 20? Ressurect and make a better build ^^. Also if i would continue what should i inbest my ap's on later in the game. Regarding the equppment could you specificly state what part of eqipment should i change for what( for example the widow bracers, what should i get instead of them). I gotmaround 30k plat so i might afford something better. Not asking for specific item just the bonuses

A3oN95
06-19-2014, 05:45 PM
so the items are the cause of all this ruckus? god damn it! Are there any guides regarding how to pick items? Also how to get them as i probably sold the RIGHT items to wear.

While it's probably not the only reason, it certainly isn't helping you :P. I don't have that much experience with melee, but in general I look to get these items (I'll limit the list to the ones available to get/craft as a f2p):

:: [Armor of Invulnerability] (negates the first 5 damage you take each hit, which at the early levels is an high % of the dameg you take per hit)

:: [Resistance +X] (increases your fortitude/reflex/will saving throws, which (hopefully) decrease the damage you take from traps and some spells, and makes you get held by shamans less often. If you can't find Resistance items cheaply, search for bonuses to at least one of the saves, +Reflex (trap/spell damage defense) and +Will (hold defense) are the most important in your case)

:: [Fortification +X%] (% protection vs critical hits, which is where the biggest chunks of physical damage dealt to you come from - this Granite Plate (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Gargoyle_Granite_Plate) is the cheapest low level heavy alternative that I know of, enter Redwillow on Normal and go to the gargoyle place until you get lucky and loot it. If you do, invest 2 enhancement points into some +max dex bonus enhancement, to avoid wasting 4 points of DEX)

:: [False Life/Vitality] (permanent HP bonus, which is vital for a close range warrior for obvious reasons, especially at low levels. Iirc False Life and Vitality are different bonus types, so if you get one of each they will stack. Necklace of Contemplation (http://ddowiki.com/page/Necklace_of_Contemplation) is amazing for a level 1 item, but you need to get a good group and/or run the quest on Normal, or alternatively get lucky on the Auction House availability and price, I've seen them on sale there from 200 plat to 50000 plat...)

:: [Speed X] (these are awesome because they give you both movement speed and attack speed. Really easy to get nowadays, look for those with the highest number, the best ones are only "of Speed", with no extra enchantment)

:: [+X STR/CON/DEX] ( these are your most important stats, in that order. try to find +3 items, or +4 when/if you get to lvl7)

:: A good weapon can make a huge difference (killing everything before they touch you is an effective defensive measure in my eyes :P). Holy of Bleeding, Screaming of Bleeding and <Elemental> Burst are among the most effective. It's way easier to craft these than trying to loot them (I don't know your server, if you're playing in Ghallanda I can make you one for free, or you can look for a member of the awesome Smithy Alliance (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/437481) on any server and they'll be happy to do the same for you).

I'm sure I'm forgetting some items, but this should be enough to get you started. Don't spend too much on the AH to get these though, since you'll replace them for better items sooner or later. The first ~8-10 levels are really fast to go through.

PS: Since you're F2P, a bit of (not-asked-for) advice: you'll gain store turbine points for free as you collect favor. DON'T spend them. When you get enough high level (around 9-12 usually), quests will start to become scarcer. Check this buyers guide (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/424669) by then, to know where to spend them.

Battlehawke
06-19-2014, 05:52 PM
There are mostly advanced builds in the link in my signature. But there are some that work first life. The most important though is the gathering of information here by some of the BEST minds in DDO for character building. I don't always follow them exactly, but I do learn a lot from them.. ...

Sorfosh
06-19-2014, 06:08 PM
While it's probably not the only reason, it certainly isn't helping you :P. I don't have that much experience with melee, but in general I look to get these items (I'll limit the list to the ones available to get/craft as a f2p):

:: [Armor of Invulnerability] (negates the first 5 damage you take each hit, which at the early levels is an high % of the dameg you take per hit)

:: [Resistance +X] (increases your fortitude/reflex/will saving throws, which (hopefully) decrease the damage you take from traps and some spells, and makes you get held by shamans less often. If you can't find Resistance items cheaply, search for bonuses to at least one of the saves, +Reflex (trap/spell damage defense) and +Will (hold defense) are the most important in your case)

:: [Fortification +X%] (% protection vs critical hits, which is where the biggest chunks of physical damage dealt to you come from - this Granite Plate (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Gargoyle_Granite_Plate) is the cheapest low level heavy alternative that I know of, enter Redwillow on Normal and go to the gargoyle place until you get lucky and loot it. If you do, invest 2 enhancement points into some +max dex bonus enhancement, to avoid wasting 4 points of DEX)

:: [False Life/Vitality] (permanent HP bonus, which is vital for a close range warrior for obvious reasons, especially at low levels. Iirc False Life and Vitality are different bonus types, so if you get one of each they will stack. Necklace of Contemplation (http://ddowiki.com/page/Necklace_of_Contemplation) is amazing for a level 1 item, but you need to get a good group and/or run the quest on Normal, or alternatively get lucky on the Auction House availability and price, I've seen them on sale there from 200 plat to 50000 plat...)

:: [Speed X] (these are awesome because they give you both movement speed and attack speed. Really easy to get nowadays, look for those with the highest number, the best ones are only "of Speed", with no extra enchantment)

:: [+X STR/CON/DEX] ( these are your most important stats, in that order. try to find +3 items, or +4 when/if you get to lvl7)

:: A good weapon can make a huge difference (killing everything before they touch you is an effective defensive measure in my eyes :P). Holy of Bleeding, Screaming of Bleeding and <Elemental> Burst are among the most effective. It's way easier to craft these than trying to loot them (I don't know your server, if you're playing in Ghallanda I can make you one for free, or you can look for a member of the awesome Smithy Alliance (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/437481) on any server and they'll be happy to do the same for you).

I'm sure I'm forgetting some items, but this should be enough to get you started. Don't spend too much on the AH to get these though, since you'll replace them for better items sooner or later. The first ~8-10 levels are really fast to go through.

PS: Since you're F2P, a bit of (not-asked-for) advice: you'll gain store turbine points for free as you collect favor. DON'T spend them. When you get enough high level (around 9-12 usually), quests will start to become scarcer. Check this buyers guide (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/424669) by then, to know where to spend them.
So basicly look for items with these bonuses? Also this smithy alliance looks really good but i have no idea what items can and what items cannot be crafted

Qhualor
06-19-2014, 06:14 PM
Z
As you said, it is not Terrible so you think i could manage to level 20? Ressurect and make a better build ^^. Also if i would continue what should i inbest my ap's on later in the game. Regarding the equppment could you specificly state what part of eqipment should i change for what( for example the widow bracers, what should i get instead of them). I gotmaround 30k plat so i might afford something better. Not asking for specific item just the bonuses

my first "successful" character made it to 20 and I didn't customize it. its possible to make it to 20 with your current build. ive seen worse, but I wouldn't expect more than quality.

your APs are fine and I would say you are making pretty good choices so far. I noticed you took the tactics enhancement. fighters are really good with tactics like trip and stunning blow and sunder. I would take Improved Sunder for the fort reduction to mobs when its available. I would say to also take Improved Trip when its available, but it requires Combat Expertise feat to get it. CE is pretty useless unless you go SD route. for a first life fighter, tactics will still be good, but the more investment with gear and APs the better.

ill provide a list for dps fighters that I consider musts. a lot of this stuff comes in a variety of ways and can be found on more than one type of item. strive for the best you can get at your level, but understand you are relying on loot and with limited funds.

resistance
constitution
dexterity
strength
wisdom
deadly
striding/speed
fortification
false life
dodge

always keep a stock of haste, lesser restoration, rage, remove curse, remove disease, remove poison, cure serious wounds and element resist pots.

feeding, everbright, elemental bane for better damage against elementals, undead bane/disruption, ghostbane for incorporeal undead, vertigo is good for trips, bloodletter, metalline to bypass dr of certain mobs are all must haves and good weapons to have for certain situations. bludgeoning against skeletons, constructs and oozes and generally slashing against regular mobs.

its tough since you are F2P, but there are some nice low level packs that have good gear for first life characters if you ever decide to buy packs.

edit: added a couple more things I forgot about.

A3oN95
06-19-2014, 06:23 PM
So basicly look for items with these bonuses? Also this smithy alliance looks really good but i have no idea what items can and what items cannot be crafted

Yup (it would be too grindy to try to get ALL, but if you get most of them you should see a difference). Also take in mind the advice about the consumables (potions/wands) and damage resist (DR)-breaking weapons that have been written in this thread, otherwise you might have some problems against specific mobs (e.g. wraiths, oozes, rust monsters, etc).

About the Smithy Alliance: They have a little shop with the most popular/useful craftable lowbie items (you can check their thread for the images), and most of them are way more experienced than me, so they're certainly able to help you choose the best weapon and/or item for you (they'll probably tell you something similar to what we're writing here).

And just so you know, you're really doing a nice work as far as character building decisions go, for a first character, I was WAY worse than you when I started ("CON? Bah, who needs CON with this DEX, I'm super-agile, they'll never even hit me!" *dead*) :D

evilgardengnome
06-19-2014, 08:03 PM
You made a good choice coming to the forums to ask for help. There are many helpful players here and we would rather help a new player who is willing to take advice than loose a player to frustration. If you are on Thelanis I will give or mail you some useful stuff.

moomooprincess
06-19-2014, 09:11 PM

I did not read anyone else's advice, so it is probably covered already.

Your dwarven fighter might be salvagable.

What server are you on? I can roll up a dwarven fighter on any server, but if you are on a server that I happen to have excess gear on, I can help gear you up. If you happen to be on a server I do not have a character on I can roll up a 28 point dwarven fighter and rock with you. Or, I can give you plat or buy you gear on a few servers.

Please tell me your CONSTITUTION is at least 16 and your strength is at least 16. If so, you can salvage this character.

6th level fighter = BATTLE PLATE(+2 or +3 or +4) and TOWER BATTLE SHIELD(+2 or +3 or +4). Yes, you will have minuses with the tower shield, but it ups your armor class and is worth the trade off IMHO.

Bracers or Gloves of Strength +3 or better yet +4
Gloves or Boots of DEX +3 or better yet +4
Boots of DEX +3 or +4 or Feather Fall Item
Belt of CON +3 or better yet +4
Cloak of Resistance +3 or better yet +4
Necklace of Natural Armor +3 or better yet +4
Ring of Protection +3 or better yet +4
Helm of accuracy or deadly or something is fine or WISDOM +2 or +3 or +4
Trinket = Raktu's Trifle

There is no reason a 6th level fighter should dominate at level 9 or less. Unless your strength is 8 and your constitution is 8. Then reroll.

Dodge is NOT important at low levels. I roll up dwarven rangers on all servers as my go to low level surviving character.

Take Iron Gut or something like that in the Dwarf Enhancement tree, very handy at low levels.

Next thing you need are POTIONS.

You want potions of acid resistance, fire resistance, and electric resistance. Add to that potions of acid, fire, and electric protection. Remove Curse and lesser restoration.

Kobold Shamans love electric and acid.
Hobgoblin shamans love fire.

edit: Just read where you posted pictures. Your character is built pretty well. Your gear is not optimal.

moomooprincess
06-19-2014, 09:24 PM
I keep ALL COLLECTABLES. I go for all collectable locations. Only turn them in for AUGMENTS or save them for crafting.

But, I am a hoarder of everything, so maybe you shouldn't listen to me on that one.

Some collectables are worth quite a bit of platinum, say Lightning Split Soarwood and Fragrant Drowshood.

Your problem with the collectables is that there are over 100 of them and that little small bag only holds 12. At minimum you need a medium bag. On my characters I carry both a medium and a small until I find a large or am able to purchase one at a dirt cheap price(rare occurence) But you are new and don't have the plat to buy one, so if you tell us your server one of us is bound to play on your server and will buy you a medium bag. I know I will buy you one on Ghallanda, Cannith, Sarlona, or Argonesson.

Qhualor
06-19-2014, 10:06 PM
Dodge is NOT important at low levels. I roll up dwarven rangers on all servers as my go to low level surviving character.

this is the only part I really disagree with. I have no idea why you would say dodge is not important for a new player that doesn't yet have the skill or the knowledge of quests as a front line melee. damage mitigation is important across all levels, regardless as a new player or not. an experienced player can get away without dodge in low levels because they know whats around every corner, be able to pummel mobs quickly and probably have good gear, but a new player like OP will want to decrease the amount of incoming damage as much as possible. even a 1% dodge item at level 1 is a noticeable difference.

PsychoBlonde
06-19-2014, 10:11 PM
base will only get you 1 point, but I would lower it and put the extra points into Charisma if you want better umd. otherwise, for a fighter, balance, intimidate, even number for tumble and that's it and heal are the most important ones.

There's no real reason to put points in Heal on a pure fighter build. It doesn't do anything useful for you.

Qhualor
06-19-2014, 10:42 PM
There's no real reason to put points in Heal on a pure fighter build. It doesn't do anything useful for you.

well it does give you more hp at a shrine, but yeah its not that useful beyond that. Ive just finished playing a ranger so I had heal skill as automatic.

Enguebert
06-20-2014, 01:31 AM
As you are playing your first toon, your gear will not be good. Unless you have friends to craft or give you items.

Level 1-5 : gear is not important, quest difficulty is not really important
Level 6-10 ; gear become more important (especially weapons to bypass DR), difference between Normal/Hard and Elite become bigger
Level 11-15 : You will have to look for good gear for each slot. Elite difficulty may be too hard for a first toon (not enough hp, no optimal gear, no good save) to complete quest at level
Level 16-20 : The difference between hard and elite become huge. Ennemy hp and damage raise a lot and sometimes it is not worth to do the quest on elite (at level) : too much time for little extra benefits
Level 20+ Welcome to another world.

As fighter, your priority for your equipement must be (at level 6)
1) Weapon & Damage. Especially at low level, being able to kill the ennemy quickly is the best defence. Try to have a decent weapon for the ennemy you fight.
2) AC. Your AC come from your armor (armor bonus), your dex (but can be limited by your armor), natural armor item and protection item (they all stack). There are other AC bonus, but usually come at later level
3) Saving. Only way to raise your savings is resistance item

Before level 10, you will also need
- a deathblock item to protect you against insta-death spell. Usually on armor or rings
- fortification : this can negates critical and sneak attack damage

Be aware that your first toon will usually have average equipment. When you do a level 6 quest, you may find good level 4 items. Maybe you will need to wait level 8 quest to find good lvl 6 items. You may keep some of them, either for your next toon or your next life
Also, you can check pawn vendors on marketplace or Auction House. It is possible to find good low level items to sale for cheap prices

Sorfosh
06-20-2014, 02:36 AM
Wow, you guys are great.
As many of you ask what server i am on Cannith.
Regarding the better gear, where should i look for i know i need to loot them but are there some "better" quests? Or maybe the smithy Alliance can craft me some of the items? ( i have no idea what crafting is capable of)
also thank you for the ap suggestions.
I have yet another question (sorry) and saves reallly important? If so which should be the priority?
Will/constitution/reflex?

SaneDitto
06-20-2014, 03:10 AM
I have yet another question (sorry) and saves reallly important? If so which should be the priority?

They're important. Don't worry too much about Fortitude; as a dwarven fighter it should be the highest as of now.

Reflex and Will are the tougher cookies to bump up. Personally, I'd look to improve Will over Reflex; Will saving throws cover certain spells like Hold Person/Monster, Daze, Hypnosis, and Curse, to list a few of the low-level debuffing spells that can shut down melees. Reflex deals with fireballs, lightning bolts, and walking face-first into traps, which are arguably easier to deal with.

Do note that different resistance values of the same type won't stack, similar to Armor. But different types do stack. To wit, if you wear a Resistance +2 and a Resistance +3 item, you'll only benefit from the +3. But if you replace the Resistance +2 with, say, a Parrying II item (+2 insight bonus to resistances), they will stack to +5.

When in doubt on if something stacks, flip your gear around while checking your combat log. DDO is kind enough to let you know if like bonuses won't stack.

Sorfosh
06-20-2014, 03:50 AM
I got hypnotised so many times it is annoying :P so i guess it is important.
Okay i have one more question regarding armor. It has bonuses , ok but also these armor bonus w/ Dexterity or armor bonus or even the enhancement bonus, which stat should i prioritise? enahncment over armor bonus? or maybe armor bonus w/ dexterity over enhancment? or maybe other bonuses over enahcments? i have no idea which bonus is more important.

SaneDitto
06-20-2014, 04:10 AM
I got hypnotised so many times it is annoying :P so i guess it is important.
Okay i have one more question regarding armor. It has bonuses , ok but also these armor bonus w/ Dexterity or armor bonus or even the enhancement bonus, which stat should i prioritise? enahncment over armor bonus? or maybe armor bonus w/ dexterity over enhancment? or maybe other bonuses over enahcments? i have no idea which bonus is more important.

So, armour. For the most part, it doesn't really matter what you slap on, as long as it helps you be the best on reducing/eliminating incoming physical damage. For the moment, work on bumping up your AC and dodge (note that dodge bonuses are capped by the Max Dex Bonus of your armour!) PRR only gets really good at later levels, so that should be down there on your list of protective priorities. An Invulnerability item as mentioned earlier grants DR 5/magical weapons, and you won't see many mobs wielding magical weapons until you're dipping in level 10+ content, but while it's useful, it will carry you well. Note that Kensei dodge bonuses only work in light or less armour.

Don't forget available buffs. If you're in a guild of sufficient level, stock up, both on buffs and on comestibles. For example, the potion vendor sells Barkskin (+3) pots. They last a decent duration for a +3 Natural bonus to AC, which stack with your Armor and Shield bonus, if you have any. If you're not toting a shield, look for an item that casts Shield. +4 Shield bonus to AC right there, and immunity to pesky Magic Missile to boot.

Sorfosh
06-20-2014, 04:29 AM
I see, thank you.
One more thing, how do i evaluate items? i mean how do i know which item should go to vendor which on auction which should i keep? for example feather falling looks like **** but is worth a ton!
Thanks to a person from my guild i got new apparently better gear, here it is: Garzads Helm, Necklece of accuracy
, deadly googles., youg-ratha plate, dextreous braclets +2 , health +2 ring of speed, ogre power + 2 boots of dodge 2%, armored +6 gloves, ring of ressitance +3, cloak of resistance +4

thouston
06-20-2014, 05:00 AM
welcome to ddo,

my first toon was a badly built one that struggled to lv 7 then got shelved for quite a while. he is now my favorite toon. do be afraid to park him and try something else for a while, you will gain knowledge and plat that you can bring back to any toon.

you will find alot of advice on these forums.
also the wiki is very helpful http://ddowiki.com

there are builders who have put a lot of detail into builds that are 'new player friendly'. check out ellisdee37, his builds are listed in his tagline. here is a link to one of his builds. https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/426765

i also think unbongwah has some builds that may work for you https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/430026-Revisiting-the-Dwarven-Defender

even if you dont use either of these, there is a lot of good info and discussion in thier threads.

good luck and if you ever roll on thelanis i can help with crafting

Lonnbeimnech
06-20-2014, 05:13 AM
It's your character.

28 point builds with no gear should be doing normal. read the description of the dif settings, elite is meant for veteran players looking for a challenge, that means well geared characters played by people that know the quest.

Now if you want a challenge, then of course play on elite, but... it's going to be tough.

There is a huge difference between a fresh character and one that has lots of gear and past lives, and there is a huge difference between playing a quest for the first time and for the 100th.

Have patience, build your character, have fun.

Lonnbeimnech
06-20-2014, 05:15 AM
ring of ressitance +3, cloak of resistance +4

Items with the same type of bonus do not stack, only the highest one applies, so that ring is doing nothing for you.

armored +6 gloves
Items that give 'armor' bonus do not stack with armor, both give an armor bonus and only the highest one applies.

Qhualor
06-20-2014, 07:16 AM
I see, thank you.
One more thing, how do i evaluate items? i mean how do i know which item should go to vendor which on auction which should i keep? for example feather falling looks like **** but is worth a ton!
Thanks to a person from my guild i got new apparently better gear, here it is: Garzads Helm, Necklece of accuracy
, deadly googles., youg-ratha plate, dextreous braclets +2 , health +2 ring of speed, ogre power + 2 boots of dodge 2%, armored +6 gloves, ring of ressitance +3, cloak of resistance +4

Looks much better, though resistance doesn't stack either and only benefit from the highest.

If you want, take the time to check out the AH. See what kinds of things people are selling. You should get an idea of the kinds of things people might be willing to buy. You can post pretty much anything no matter if its considered vendor junk or not. What one views as junk another sees it as a goldmine. When I post something on the AH, I always compare how much people are selling the same item and than post for a little less. A helpful tip is to include a buyout amount. If not and the item will sit there until the time expires before it gets sold. I see no buyouts all the time with 3 day timers and I'm more likely to forget about it or just buy someone else's item that does have a buyout.

Qhualor
06-20-2014, 07:29 AM
Wow, you guys are great.
As many of you ask what server i am on Cannith.
Regarding the better gear, where should i look for i know i need to loot them but are there some "better" quests? Or maybe the smithy Alliance can craft me some of the items? ( i have no idea what crafting is capable of)
also thank you for the ap suggestions.

F2P quests will have some nice named gear, but I'm VIP so its been since 2009 the last time I was F2P. Hard to remember which is free and which is P2P. I would recommend saving your TP or if you want to spend the money for buying packs. Either that or sign up for at least a month of VIP to check out the pay packs and you get some nice perks. Its actually pretty cheap for just a month and there are a lot of nice named loot that comes from these pay packs.

Saves are definitely important. The higher the better. If you are playing a pure dwarf fighter than your fortitude saves (based on con) should be really good. Your reflex won't be great, even with some investment, but definitely try to pump up will saves. It sucks being held all the time because your will saves (based on wisdom) is always low. Resistance items is a must.

Sorfosh
06-20-2014, 08:32 AM
Okay thanks.
Just one more question regarding items worth. how do i know something is worth a lot. for example i have +2 rapier of vertigo (MC) and i have absolutely no idea if it should goto vendor or maybe an auction. Basicly how do i price check items

Llewndyn
06-20-2014, 09:16 AM
here are my stats

TBH, it could be, but here's how I see it (again, lots of VERY smart people on this forum, so take everything with a grain of salt)... Dodge is a percentage to dodge an attack, so the higher you get it, the better the chance you can dodge an attack. You can get an 4-6% dodge item off of the AH for pretty cheap, and then with feats and enhancements get that quite a bit higher. I go the dodge route because try as I might, I have NO idea how to get my AC high enough or my PRR (Physical Resistance Rating, or Pukey Rodent Riddler) high enough to be of ANY use, and though I could spend a little time looking up how, I KNOW how to make myself slightly harder to hit than a fart in a drafty baseball stadium.

If you can get blur (might need UMD, which in the build I mentioned means Charisma and points in the Use Magic Device (UMD) skill) from wands or scrolls, usually the arcane in the party has it at well, you can get ghostly from items (dusk heart, which drops in the Sands of Menechtaurun (I think), there are other sources but brain fart keeping me from telling you what), you can get stoneskin from either wands, scrolls, or clickies from armor, etc....

On my "last" life, the current one I'm on, I hit myself with blur, then throw on my Cloak of Invisibility (which has ghostly), then in the event I DO get hit, hit myself with stoneskin, barkskin, etc.... Most of these things I don't carry from life to life, I just find an option that is cheap to buy and go with that.

An unlucky roll, I concede, means you will get hit. The same would happen with any of the solutions posted to this forum. For the vast majority of NOT unlucky rolls, you don't get touched at all :P

The dodge-y related feats are: dodge, mobility, Lightning reflexes (I never take this because I'm lazy), I'm sure there's more. How successful all my advice is depends on how you want to play. For ME, the aforementioned was good enough to carry me through the majority of my lives. I also rarely jumped into battle and just stood there swinging my weapon, preferring a "string em out and take em on one by one" kind of approach... you can use the environment to your advantage as well.

Kasiddy
06-20-2014, 09:17 AM
Okay thanks.
Just one more question regarding items worth. how do i know something is worth a lot. for example i have +2 rapier of vertigo (MC) and i have absolutely no idea if it should goto vendor or maybe an auction. Basicly how do i price check items

That's a vendor.

It takes a little time to get a feel for what is good stuff and what isn't.
In general, weapons that have things other than damage or an effect that can incapacitate or immediately defeat a mob are vendor.
There are exceptions such as weapons that give a high bonus (+8 or +10) to stun, or mauls with everbright that are good for beating both oozes or rustmonsters.
Try checking out the pawnbroker in house D (and also Eveningstar, but that is higher level).
Pawnbrokers sell what other players have sold to them. Occasionally there are "good" weapons there, but it is mostly things people don't think will sell. That should give you an idea of what to vendor.

Also, weapons that have incompatible or unusable effects are not worth much. For example, an axiomatic smiting weapon isn't worth much as you will have a hard time finding chaotic constructs in the game. Anarchic handwraps are usually not worthwhile since any monk wearing them would get a negative level due to alignment incompatibility. (There are almost always exceptions - my monk has a pair of anarchic smiting handwraps specifically for a certain Marut....)

Auctionable items are useful, just not by you.
A smiting weapon with sonic damage is valuable since constructs don't generally resist sonic damage. A flaming smiter or a shocking smiter would be worth somewhat less as iron golems are healed by fire and flesh golems are hasted by electricity.
Skill, Stat, and resist items that are "pure" (No +2 resistance of spotting +5, but an item with only +3 resist or only +9 spot) are considered more useful than multi-effect items, in general, at heroic levels because you can use the single effect at a lower character level than something with multiple effects.

Hafeal
06-20-2014, 09:25 AM
It's your character.

28 point builds with no gear should be doing normal. read the description of the dif settings, elite is meant for veteran players looking for a challenge, that means well geared characters played by people that know the quest.

Now if you want a challenge, then of course play on elite, but... it's going to be tough.

There is a huge difference between a fresh character and one that has lots of gear and past lives, and there is a huge difference between playing a quest for the first time and for the 100th.

Have patience, build your character, have fun.

I would emphasize this: Run Normal - easily soloable with your build and stats. Learn the game, techniques and quests. Don't rush into Elite. For a 1st life in particular, Normal is all the xp you need. If you want to run with your friend on Elite, go slow and make him pay for the pots for a little self-healing, curse removal and blindness. ;)

zwiebelring
06-20-2014, 10:42 AM
I see, thank you.

Items, which increase dps, health, in general survivability and depending on build DCs of special attacks have priority. Utility items with underwater action and feather fall are nice to have, but there are not too many situations where you really want them. In low levels you can slide at walls and take less damage to non damage at all.

My personal low lvl. melee priority list:

Blindness Immunity -> especially on new characters you do not have financial support for potions in 100 stacks. Anything providing a permanent resistance/immunity saves you money for other remedies. Such like remove curse potions

Invulnerability -> available on cannith crafted armor (there are some rare armord with that, too, but they are higher than lvl. 6, iirc). Even on a later on TWF melee I'd wear a heavy armor and use a two handed weapon. With Ftr no problem. That'll give you physical damage immunity for a long time.

Damage Reduction -> Spearblock Bracers from Korthos, for example. Renders most low lvl. mobs harmless, especially archers, but even some spiders and other mobs with natural weapons.

Remove Fear clicky -> the fear spell is the most dangerous on low lvl. for melees. Clickies provide 10 min. of +4 to saves vs. fear effects. Invaluable if you got one. They were common once and also had minimum lvl. 1 for usage.

Shield spell clicky -> absorbs magic missile spell. That means you are immune to casters using only this spell, which there are a lot caster mobs relying on this one.

Two handed weapon -> you rely on your chosen feats and weapons you can use. As a Ftr, take the THF weapon with best attributes you can get, ideally [elemental damage/burst] + Bleeding.

Potions -> Cure Serious Wounds!, Remove Curse!, Heroism!, Haste!, Barkskin!, Lesser Restoration!, Neutralize Poison, Rage, Resistances

With a maximum of damage migitation by heavy armor + invulnerability + spearblock you can easily heal yourself with cure serious potions. Still this is expensive for anyone leveling his/her first character. A hireling will be main healing source and pot.s are life savior. In any way, you are pretty much safe then. Barkskin pot.s make mobs miss you significantly. AC score of 30 - 35 at this lvl. is possible and the benchmark.

All important CL 1 buffs have minimum duration of 5 min. That is very long for your lvl. area. That's why you should get them somehow (use hirelings if you can't afford stacks of potions, let them cast buffs, then dismiss, solo quest, enter next dungeon ;P, rince repeat)

I left out Fortification. With the above listed damage migitation you will not have big problems regarding critical hits. Exceptions are some Ogres maybe but well, if you are not happy to have a cannith crafted heavy fort item (or 75% on that regard) you can skip it any way and use whatever else you want instead.

p.s.: Items increasing specific DCs of your tactical feats are useful only, if you plan on using them everytime. Like if you got a high STR score and you like dropping mobs you might profit more from a STR booster and/or Vertigo weapon than chosing Improved Trip Feat.

While a STR booster is universal for melees, Vertigo is situational. So the STR booster got higher value than your Vertigo item. But you cannot trip every mob (bosses immune, multilegged mobs mostly immune). So you might want to find a weapon with good dps stats and just rely on STR item instead (and some temporary effects like Rage pot.s, Bull STR pot.s). Casters are the most dangerous mob type at your lvl., and they are tripped easily with just high STR score. Other mobs just fail at your high damage migitation.

Draksel
06-20-2014, 01:42 PM

I think what you have been doing so far is just fine. Part of learning what works best is trial and error so that you really understand WHY some choices are better than others. Learn from your friend in game. Ask him WHY he chose the race/class that he has, and WHY not others. Using pre-builds is fine, but until you understand the mechanics (which seem to change from time to time) and such, you will always be relying on the pre-builds.

Part of what I love about this game is creating a weird build, and trying to make it work (at least moderately well).

AbyssalMage
06-20-2014, 02:35 PM
Random things:

As far as evaluating gear, sometimes it comes down to preference and what slot you have available, but the "highest" key stat is the one you should use (yes there are exceptions, like if it makes a stat odd).
The only way to figure out if something is worth anything on the AH is to watch the AH. It is so server specific that it boggles my mind why something on one server is worth 100k and on another server I barely get the minimum bid.
Stacking is an issue when you are learning the game but Turbine has been nice enough to give you warnings when things aren't stacking and tells you exactly what item it is using for what effect if you scroll up in the general tab on log in.
I provided a by slot what you should be looking for. Even as a F2P player, you will be able to purchase things in the AH and get trades through guildies for items you can't normally get yourself. Bracer is arguably the weakest slot currently in the game while Back has the highest demand.
Invulnerability is worthless for you if you are running Hard/Elite at level 6 and is the direct reason why I didn't suggest it for you. There is a post floating around discussing why but it basically has to the way combat is resolved. If you are running adventures on Normal, you have until level 9'ish I believe for most F2P quests.
Weapons - Holy Silver of X (Crafted, general DR breaker. Wont work for everything but it is a start), Ghostbane (Fighting incorporeal NPC's), Everbright (Blunt; Rust Monsters and Slimes. Carry until level 18'ish. You can drop sooner if you never purchase Vale pack), A Returning Throwing Weapon (Axe or Mace, unless you pick up Bow Strength Feat), and the best DPS weapon you can find/buy. I assume all will be your Dwarf's favorite weapon, as picked in your racial tree.
I can provide you with a basic roadmap of gear (Most of it coming from GH Adventure Pack, Cannith Adventure Pack, that you can get daily tokens for, and Wheelon[?] ) that is "easily" obtained. At level 11 (Lord March Plaza) and 15 (MotU pre-quest) have nice gear to fill in some of the holes you are bound to have.

Quandrie
06-20-2014, 03:30 PM

I laughed and laughed at this post. Not because I am laughing at you, but because I been there and said the exact same thing. I didn't know anything about this forum when I started 5 years ago. I had heaps of trial and error, but mostly error. I keep my first toon around as s storage garage and to remind me of what I used to play. Oye. You are brilliant to ask questions here. Others (not me) will give you great advice.

Eclaveriia
06-20-2014, 03:30 PM
Ok, for weapons I would suggest looking for the following at low level.
ENEMY TYPE WEAPON PROPERTIES
Default Weapon Acid and/or Fire
Oozes & Rust Monsters Ooze Bane and/or Everbright
Undead Holy and/or Ghost Bane
Fire Creatures Frost

At higher levels I would look for the following:

Constructs Smiting
Outsiders Banishing
Undead Disruptor
Demons Cold Iron & Good
Devils Silver & Good
Xoriat Creatures Byshek & Good

Eclaveriia
06-20-2014, 03:42 PM
For weapons I would recommend looking for acid <weapon> or Acid <weapon> of Pure Good as your main weapon. Other things to look out for to make a stash for the future would be as follows.

Weapons to look for in your loot or crafting opertunities at low level.
Default Weapon Acid and/or Fire (acid is usually better) ** I typically use Acid Weapon of Pure Good if possible. **
Oozes & Rust Monsters Ooze Bane and/or Everbright ** Muchbane is a good choice if you get one **
Undead Holy and/or Ghost Bane ** I like crafting Holy of Pure Good (for corporial undead) and Ghost Bane of Pure Good (For wraiths) **
Fire Creatures Frost

Constructs Smiting
Outsiders Banishing
Undead Disruptor
Demons Cold Iron & Good
Devils Silver & Good
Xoriat Creatures Byshek & Good

Eclaveriia
06-20-2014, 04:19 PM
I tried to edit my posts to delete the double post and correct the editing on the other but after a half hour of waiting the forums would still not respond to the edit request so here is the re-edited post.

For weapons I would recommend looking for acid <weapon> or Acid <weapon> of Pure Good as your main weapon. Other things to look out for to make a stash for the future would be as follows.

Ok, for weapons I would suggest looking for the following at low level.

Default Weapon : Acid and/or Fire *** Acid is usually Best ***
Oozes & Rust Monsters : Ooze Bane and/or Everbright
Undead : Holy and/or Ghost Bane *** I like to Craft Holy of Pure good for corporial undead and Ghost Touched of pure good for Wraiths ***
Fire Creatures : Frost

Constructs : Smiting
Outsiders : Banishing
Undead : Disruptor
Demons : Cold Iron & Good
Devils : Silver & Good
Xoriat Creatures : Byshek & Good

Powskier
06-20-2014, 05:53 PM

the1st character is a test,kinda..you can earn a free heroic heart(in epic) and put your 1st build behind you.Learn the dungeons on norm /hard.Build you r loot stash and save some items for 2nd life.Alot of eliteplayers have huge catch of items for those runs.(saved from hundreds of dungeons and raids)on other hand ,if you rbuddies r runnin elites allready,they need to help geer you up a little;)and warn about dangers ,not just zerg.

Powskier
06-20-2014, 06:05 PM
only real bummer for the fighter class ,is lack of skill points. Skill points help AloT w skills you use(search,spot,heal,)its easy to come up short in high lvls, in simple skills like jump(30-40 jump is handy often)if you are a straight fighter.So fighter needs to be opposite class intent,and hang back in elites..if you cant see traps and stuff...hell enemies have tons of hit points and almost never miss in elite, realy need a game plan other'' than hack and hope''there.:) wlcome to d&d,computer version ..here you don't have to wait a week to finish an adventure(unlike the way fun dice/book version"your house ...next thursday?'')

Sianys
06-21-2014, 06:39 AM
What I've found that also really helps, if you want to get some nice DPS for relatively cheap without looking for named stuff, is having these items at the highest level you can get as you level up:
* (item) of Speed
* Deadly (item)
* (item) of Accuracy
* Seeker (item)

I have a Fighter 13 (Kensei) / Wizard 2 (Eldritch Knight) character, and I like running around with Power Attack toggled. The Accuracy item helps mitigate your chances at missing, the Speed item helps ensure you're hitting faster, the Deadly item gives you a bonus to melee and ranged damage, and the Seeker item gives bonus to confirm critical hits and critical damage. If you only get one of these items, Speed is the most universally helpful, but Accuracy will help you land hits more often, and sometimes that can make a really big difference. Since it looks like you may have a slot or two open to the redundant items the others mentioned, give it a shot slotting those.

Getting all of the above, plus your stat enhancing items (as others said, "Ogre" for Strength, "Health" for Con, etc.), resistances, Deathblock, etc. will help make your playing experience a lot easier and fun. :)

Sorfosh
06-21-2014, 08:42 AM
Guys, i still have problem with spells such as hold person and i do not know how to proceed. This is a will save yes, so i used 2 AP for Dwarven runes but i still fail everytime, are there other enhacments that could help me withstand that (or other stunning spell) ?

cru121
06-21-2014, 10:50 AM
you're big stupid fighter, you're supposed to fail a save now and then. but you're supposed to have enough HP to survive it and then kill them all.

so you noticed that casters can immobilize you and kill you? kill them first, bypassing other mobs as needed

Lonnbeimnech
06-21-2014, 10:51 AM
Guys, i still have problem with spells such as hold person and i do not know how to proceed. This is a will save yes, so i used 2 AP for Dwarven runes but i still fail everytime, are there other enhacments that could help me withstand that (or other stunning spell) ?

Fighters have low will saves.
on top of that wisdom is the stat that improves will saves and fighters generally are not going to invest in wisdom.

Couple of things you can do. First of all attack the casters first, use trip, use stunning blow (if you took it)

Boosts your saves. I know you have a resistance item, but if you got a wisdom item as well that would help, if you can't fit one anywhere you can still drink an owl's wisdom potion for a +4 wis (thats another +2 will save). And drink a heroism potion (that's another +2 to all saves)

Spell absorbtion - honestly these are not too common, but keep your eye out for them, perhaps for use the next time you play through low levels. Things like the mantle of the world shaper, the jeweled cloak and the pale lavander ioun stone, or the scarab of spell absorption.

Spell resistance item's - these become useless later on, but at low levels they work great. Item's like http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Phiarlan_Mirror_Cloak

Freedom of movement - this is a spell that rangers, druids, clerics and favored souls get that grants immunity to hold spells (but not to dance or stun). If there is one in your party they can give it to you. This is also available on a few named items, none of them available in your level range tho, :/

And next time you get held, shield block. It won't do the shield block animation, but you still get the bonus to ac and the bonus to dr, so you might survive long enough to break free, chuck a healing potion, and trip the caster.

Qhualor
06-21-2014, 10:54 AM

yes, its a will save, but the best way for a fighter like yours to boost your will saves is to wear the best wisdom item and resistance item for your level. drink a heroism potion for a little extra boost and try to farm Xorian Cypher for the Planar Gird (F2P). some casters might be a nice guy if you ask politely for a Greater Heroism. its usually best to target casters first before engaging the other mobs. as fighter, you should be investing in increasing your trip and/or stunning blow. casters generally do more damage to you than a single mob will and can definitely ruin your day if you don't get them first.

SaneDitto
06-21-2014, 06:59 PM
There's all that, and also try to avoid being in line of sight with a mob you know casts Hold, or at least try to belay getting their aggro (briefly). If they do not have line of sight with their target, they may sling a few spells for kicks before trying to reposition themselves to get a better firing view. Usually, that means they get closer, and that's your cue to pop all your awesome speed and combat buffs, then run out screaming and hitting all those buttons for Trip, Stunning Blow, Sap, or good old super-fast whackery. Casters, up close, tend to be squishier than the hulking melees, so jumped like that, they usually go down like a sack of bricks.

This is one of the reasons I go back to DDO every now and then--appreciating that situational awareness plays a decent part in combat. Not as much as I'd want, but it's enough that you can feel the difference when used well. :)

Lallajulia
06-22-2014, 12:00 PM
why, why, why, why SO many new players start with so weak classes like fighters or barbarians?
suck not op, suck class. what abilities you have? weak trip or sunder? and that`s it! you dont have tools to operate with, only your red bar and very weak dps. yes, fighters have weak dps at these levels. they could equip some good low level gear like carnifex, but it fact it matters little. as a new player you should not start with fighter, barbarian and expect be any good in elite.

Qhualor
06-22-2014, 12:13 PM
why, why, why, why SO many new players start with so weak classes like fighters or barbarians?
suck not op, suck class. what abilities you have? weak trip or sunder? and that`s it! you dont have tools to operate with, only your red bar and very weak dps. yes, fighters have weak dps at these levels. they could equip some good low level gear like carnifex, but it fact it matters little. as a new player you should not start with fighter, barbarian and expect be any good in elite.

that's pretty poor advice. a new player playing any class is going to be "weak". its still going to time to understand the mechanics of the game and how your character works. i see nothing wrong with starting out as a barb or fighter vs starting out as, what would you suggest?, wiz, cleric, fvs or arty? gearing and building a fighter or barb is much simpler to do and figure out than for a spell caster.

janave
06-22-2014, 12:32 PM

Pretty much this, well summed up! Thanks to the excellent recommendation labels, newbies are in for some pain.

Here is the official Solo Ability: misGuide:

Fighter - Good
Barbarian - Good
Paladin - Very Good (sighs)
Monk - Very Good
Sorcerer - Challenging (really?)
Cleric - Very Good
Wizard - Challenging ( up until harbor, sure)
FvS - Good (chuckles)
Druid - Good
Ranger - Good
Rogue - Challenging
Bard - Challenging
Artificer - Good

Besides the description being very vague, im sure the guy labeled them up have yet to level many of these classes to 20, attempting most things solo.

Realistically it is more like:
1. Very Challenging
2. Challenging
3. Good
4. Very Good
5. Recommended for solo play

----------------------------------
For levels 1-20, staying pure, average/non metagamey playstyle for newbies.

Fighter - 1
Barbarian - 1
Paladin - 2
Monk - 3
Sorcerer - 4, 5 if warforged
Cleric - 4
Wizard - 4, 5 if warforged
FvS - 4 melee, 5 caster
Druid - 5
Ranger - 3, 4 with Archery
Rogue - 3
Bard - 3
Artificer - 5

Yes, it does depend a lot on the build, and previous experience too, but they shouldnt recommend newbies pure melee classes to play as "Solo Friendly" because it gets significantly tougher every 4 levels or so, while it gets easier on proper caster/ranged types.

Lallajulia
06-22-2014, 02:06 PM
that's pretty poor advice. a new player playing any class is going to be "weak". its still going to time to understand the mechanics of the game and how your character works. i see nothing wrong with starting out as a barb or fighter vs starting out as, what would you suggest?, wiz, cleric, fvs or arty? gearing and building a fighter or barb is much simpler to do and figure out than for a spell caster.

i did not gave any advice, in fact.
these malfuncions of classes like fighters or frenzied berzerkerks are nemesis for new player. i see that every day how these poor souls do not have speed(no exped. retreat, no clickies, no umd for 1st lvl scroll from market), no plat for csw, no plat for rem.curs/pois/whatever... they just run in, try hack/slash to only observe their stones or helplessly wait for some heals with minimal hp left after few first fights. very rarely im wrong when i expect they die after several encounters or be on so low hp, that need help.
now, let me ask - what lessons of game mechanic can be learned this way? you can throw beggar on wall street, but does it somehow make him learn about how become rich?
best way learn is ... watch, and best way watch is from behind and safest role behind is divine. and easiest divine to have is cleric. they suddenly have heals, have cures of stat damage etc. but main thing, they DO can melee or cast relatively safely, they have some backup, there still will be dies, but that player now can much more rely on himself not on zergers 2 miles ahead who very likely return to him only if he become soul stone.
next.
in ddo there is no weaker class than these pure fighters or barbarians. sure, in hands of veteran any! class/build will be relatively good. but that is because experience and resources, almost for sure silver pots or some kind of backup in form of umd, pots etc. in hands of new player they are constantly dependant on others. and ddo is at state where pugs are bunch of individual soloers, most of them go very, very fast. with all buffs, pots, clickies, umd in their pockets. only way to go along for new player indeed are classes which posess many utility abilities like healing, speed, damage mitigation, from f2p these are cleric, wizard, sorcerer, bard, paladin, ranger. they posess at least something.
what have fighter? cleave? greater cleave? trip which work 20% of time for first lifer 28pt build and can not be counted as reliable tactic in any way. and even if work, this will trip only one!, one mob. IF work. what this fighter player can do if he finds himself swarmed by scorps or trolls?... nothing. if he is alone, he can do absolutely nothing with that pitiful fighter arsenal. just continue hack and hope for best. or run away in hopes for saving stairs or cliff.

Qhualor
06-22-2014, 02:25 PM
i did not gave any advice, in fact.
these malfuncions of classes like fighters or frenzied berzerkerks are nemesis for new player. i see that every day how these poor souls do not have speed(no exped. retreat, no clickies, no umd for 1st lvl scroll from market), no plat for csw, no plat for rem.curs/pois/whatever... they just run in, try hack/slash to only observe their stones or helplessly wait for some heals with minimal hp left after few first fights. very rarely im wrong when i expect they die after several encounters or be on so low hp, that need help.
now, let me ask - what lessons of game mechanic can be learned this way? you can throw beggar on wall street, but does it somehow make him learn about how become rich?
best way learn is ... watch, and best way watch is from behind and safest role behind is divine. and easiest divine to have is cleric. they suddenly have heals, have cures of stat damage etc. but main thing, they DO can melee or cast relatively safely, they have some backup, there still will be dies, but that player now can much more rely on himself not on zergers 2 miles ahead who very likely return to him only if he become soul stone.
next.
in ddo there is no weaker class than these pure fighters or barbarians. sure, in hands of veteran any! class/build will be relatively good. but that is because experience and resources, almost for sure silver pots or some kind of backup in form of umd, pots etc. in hands of new player they are constantly dependant on others. and ddo is at state where pugs are bunch of individual soloers, most of them go very, very fast. with all buffs, pots, clickies, umd in their pockets. only way to go along for new player indeed are classes which posess many utility abilities like healing, speed, damage mitigation, from f2p these are cleric, wizard, sorcerer, bard, paladin. they posess at least something.
what have fighter? cleave? greater cleave? trip which work 20% of time for first lifer 28pt build and can not be counted as reliable tactic in any way. and even if work, this will trip only one!, one mob. IF work. what this fighter player can do if he finds himself swarmed by scorps or trolls?... nothing. if he is alone, he can do absolutely nothing with that pitiful fighter arsenal. just continue hack and hope for best. or run away in hopes for saving stairs or cliff.

actually you did. by saying "why do so many new players start with weak classes like fighters and barbs". that gives the obvious impression that new players made a wrong choice. people come to this game to play for fun and want to play whatever classes they think are fun. i see time and again new players that die frequently without proper knowledge of how to play ANY class without bringing the proper tools needed to complete quests more smoothly like an experienced would know. a new player playing a fighter is just as likely to die or come unprepared to a quest as any other class. i don't expect more than that from them until they either seek out advice, like this thread or in game, or learn on their own, like i did way back when. i would rather help a new player with whatever advice i can offer to help them succeed in the game and have fun at the same time than to tell them negatively "you are doing it wrong". its called retaining new players so they don't get jaded right from the start and are most likely to leave DDO.

A3oN95
06-22-2014, 02:41 PM
Game balance at end game =/= game balance at the start of the game. If anything, I find pure Fighters/Barbarians OP in the first few levels, a lot more relative HP than casters, no need to worry about running out of SP, enough AC to get it to proc frequently, DPS and speed boosts and some extra nice abilities that can be used almost at will (barbarian dwarf at lvl 3/4 with max STR/CON and Blood tribute... weee :D)

Add in a few pots and/or an hire (yes, there are hirelings in the game, maybe they should be more advertised?), and you're pretty survivable, even if you don't have any idea what you're doing.

Most of the time, the people I see leaving the game after the early quests are either wiz/sorc ("what? so little hp, my spells are scarce and weak, my SP bar dries quickly, I keep dying, I'm done with this!") or Clerics ("What do you mean I have to hit them too? I'm a Shadow Priest, I want to spam magic at them, but my offensive spells suck, I'm done with this!").

Almost any class/style can be viable if build correctly, even more so before the late teens/epics. Having fun and learning what works where is a lot more important imho.

SaneDitto
06-23-2014, 01:35 PM
IMO, I think the best new player class is the Ranger. The class gives you gobs of skills and feats for free to try out some of the different approaches to DDO (TWF, ranged, stealth), has stealth capability via ranks in Hide/MS and Hide in Plain Sight to teach the player how the stealth mechanic works, has a handful of useful spells to provide self-healing or appreciated buffs and teaches the player how spells work (enough total WIS, then blue bar, to cast), how class items work (yes, you can use wands of Cure Moderate Wounds at level 1, then Cure Serious at level 4), and enough health to not fall over dead as soon as an ogre brings out its club. This is all before enhancements are taken to account. :)

These days, it seems that being able to readily get your mojo back is as important as being able to suck up hits, due to the self-sufficient mentality around. I agree with Lallajulia on that account--while fighters and barbarians have more HP and can more readily dish out the pain, they are somewhat limited in their ability to heal up the pain they receive in return, short of hirelings, a half-elf with an appropriate Dilettante (wands and scrolls), a halfling with the Jorasco dragonmark (somewhat), UMD (difficult, due to cross-class), multiclassing (not new player friendly), or Silver Flame potions (difficult due to favor, plus side effects are nasty).

I wouldn't go so far as to call fighters and barbarians "weak" or "malfuncions [sic]", though. Rangers are great and all, but when the chips are down and I want some bad guy very down very fast, I'll ring up the specialists.

dunklezhan
06-23-2014, 01:57 PM
Build looks fine, gear as others have said needs work, but at L6 it doesn't matter too much (if you haven't got one yet, get a ghost touch/ghost bane weapon - check the AH and *brokers*, not vendors) - the main issue is you're a new player on a new first life character playing in Elite quests. If your buddy is a L4 first lifer new player, then kudos to them, because that's not a normal combination to be surviving in that sort of situation. Try normal, or hard. If not (because those you want to play with play elite) then get better at fighting, or get used to dying.

How do you get better at fighting? Same way you get better at anything: practice. Here's some tips I've learned, Some of this is probably questionable:

1 DDO is an active combat game - you can shield block (and if you're getting pounded it is worth carrying a shield) which will absorb some of the incoming damage.
2 You can move around to literally dodge incoming spells, arrows etc (regardless of your dodge "score", YOU can still actually dodge. Don't forget that).
3 Things like Ogres may seem invincible to start with, but they telegraph their horrible triple hit nastiness so it is possible to get out the way of depending on your ping rate (mine's 100 so I probably manage it 50% of the time). Many tough mobs have these kinds of 'tells'. I haven't figured out what the tell for a dog is right before it trips you. Curse them.
4 Many mobs won't turn quickly if they're in the middle of swinging at you, with a fighter you can use that to your advantage because your To Hit is so high, you moving doesn't really affect your ability to hit like it might, say, a wizard. So once they start swinging, start making little quarter circles around them, quarter circle swing, quarter circle swing... often you'll avoid a good chunk of a single mob's melee damage.
6. hot key your main source of healing, don't be having to drop your focus from the fight to click it! I find H is a good key to use - assign it to a random hotbar somewhere, and put your healing pots there. When you're hurt, punch H for Hjeal Meh!

Levels 1-10 are the right time to be practising this stuff. The right gear will help, but a lot of it is just experience with DDO combat (on Elite I would recommend saves, AC, resistances... basically anything that is going to reduce incoming damage. As a fighter you don't have a problem with your build actually hitting and dishing damage I would've thought, it's surviving long enough to take them down). I can roll up a first life toon and run solo elite (ok with a hire) till L8 or so on any class with a pure build and probably do that with only one or two deaths and even then only if I've been getting slack or not paying attention. Or forget a trap. That never helps.

Beyond that, I start to have problems with more than a few classes - its not my build or gear, its that *I* am not good enough for that level of play. Quest dependent, I drop to Hard usually once I start to fail more than half the time on the first attempt, if I can't find a group. In case you can't tell, this is me pointing out that getting to L8 via Elites then dropping to Hard is NOT me bragging.

DDO is a game where you must learn and respect your limits. There's no shame in running Hard, no matter what anyone says. If more people respected their limits, we wouldn't have this god-awful BYOH culture we have now. Anyway, quite apart from the mechanics and gear information overload, many of the vets forget this is actually a HARD game compared to an awful lot of other stuff that's out there, especially for soloing or new players. Stick with it, welcome to DDO.

Rykka
06-24-2014, 10:52 PM
Assuming you aren't stuck with 1 auction slot, I would suggest auctioning anything you cant use. If it doesn't sell in the AH you're only out a few PP. But anything with an augment slot and/or a metal type (adamantine, coldiron, etc...) is of value to crafters. A single property item like a health+X boots or belt of falselife will sell because it has a lower min level, more bang for the buck, but you'll probably want to keep (hoard) those.

Something else I would advise is rather that vendor or pawn gear that won't sell in the AH, is to deconstruct it for essence in the cannith crafting hall. This gives you PP for the item (what you would get from a vendor) and essence from the item and you will also earn crafting XP which will help kickstart later characters with starter gear. You then sell the essence in the auction house, actually craft shards with it (which adds more crafting XP) or save it for next life when your skill will be enough to make lowlevel items*. On my server a greater essence sells pretty consistently for 200-400PP each (usually in large stacks). Lessers usually go (in very large stacks) for a little less than a fifth of that.

*If you heroic reincarnate a character, your crafting skill does not reset.

Rykka
06-25-2014, 12:20 AM
Also as a fighter your thang is plate armor which limits dex bonus but makes up for it with ~AC and better PRR. Compare Battleplate listings in the AH to what you are wearing and adjust if necessary. Magecraft plate at L10, if you don't find a better named set of armor by then. By this level you NEED deathblock. You need max HP including False Life +15-20. You need a protection and/or natural armor buff. You want 100% fortification ASAP.

You can't help getting held, you just need to survive that, afterwards block and chug cure serious wounds pots.

If you are "sword and board" DAxe and Towershield (Battleshield at your level). Learn to block with the shield, not only does it give great DR but it mitigates a lot of debilitating effects. Have 1 point in tumble skill, this allows you to move while blocking. Consider also picking up a greataxe (note: Carnifex can be had at your level and it doesn't usualy take more than 1 or 2 runs) as any kensai axe stuff works with it. Have a warhammer for skellies. If you don't have one go back and get Muckbane from "Durks got a Secret" for oozes. Two handed fighter feats work with DAxe/Tower and Greataxe, get some. You would like to have a weapon that is "good" (Holy, Righteous, or Pure Good) if possible.

In reality lootgen stuff you pull out of chests is mostly garbage. I spent most of my first life scraping by, scouring the AH for a deal on something useful. I also ran pretty much everything at elite with a friend on my first life and I encourage you to do the same. You will die, but you will learn how not to die more quickly. You also get slightly higher level garbage loot which helps when selling/deconstructing trash to be able to buy something you need.

Also you are approaching "the desert of F2P". This is where it gets kinda lean on quests to run unless you buy packs or go VIP. A lot of the cool named items are not available unless you get the quest they drop in.

Lallajulia
06-25-2014, 03:04 AM
little more about fighter.

fighter lines are weak for their own. think about fighter kensai as acually support line of your build. something that strengten you build main enhancement line.

example.

bard/fighter(i dont want talk about specific build, just show princip).

by taking now so good swashbuckler as a main line of your fighter, you have very good dps and tactic.
by add fighter kensai to your chosen weapon line, you make your build main line better. you add tactic feats from fighter and others which make your weapon line even better.

together these make, i would say, excellent melee dps synergy. but fighter class problem is that its own line alone do not do that. yes, it is dps line, but there is not enough.

and bards is just as example, it can be ranger tempest also, rogue too.

what you really want for melee build are options in dogfights. more tactic options, more buffs, more debuffs avialable. just clave and trip may seem good from perspective of simplicity, but it makes player more like just weapon swinging meatshield, not a vanguard, who can instakill, crit alot, do crowd control and disable/debuff enemies and dish out great amount of dps. why ddo vets so highly value stunning blow or monk disable tactic moves? they know how important it is. where fighter class shines is support another class of build with feats and kensai line.

edit:
i feel i need add about weaponry. you need specific weapons for specific tasks. one can be main, but need 2-4 more weaps.
1. main - holy, bleed.
2. secondary main - flaming burst, bleed.
3. undead - holy. undead bane.
4. ghosts. - ghost bane. undead bane.
5. construct/elemental beater - icy burst. destruction.
6. ooze beater - acid/acid burst. everbright. blunt.
7. lawful(maruts, ghaele) - anarchic, chaotic.
8. various "bane" weaps for specific enemies.

beautiful if your hands can be lied on higher metal weaps with some of above secondary damage adds, like metalline, adamantium, cold iron. i say not many named weapons will be better than these looted or crafter and used for right purpose and right time.
my inventory hold about 10 weapons all time, bound to keyboard shift+F1/F2 etc.

if you beat enemies with trash weapons and will try change to something above and be wise with weapon choice depending on situation, your dps will skyrocket suddenly.

tactic.
you dont want be surrounded.
when you fight more than one enemy, your back should be against wall or better be in corner, but only if you know you can not die swarmed. no one should beat you from back.
doorways. stand in door, when not cleave, mass attack, select one enemy and beat it.
if you see group and caster in there, save your tactic feats only for it. leap, rush to him, beat as much you can, when group of enemies reach you, retreat to corner or doorway.
avoid archers beat you - corners, columns, doorways.
if someone is kiting a lot, dont chase enemy, choose another, static enemy or get aggro. you are not dog, you dont run around trying catch cat.
if you want use tactic, most of time best allow enemy come to you if it is possible and not rush to it. because your valuable tactic cooldowns can be easily wasted. save these valuables as possible.
enemy with 1% of hp will hit as hard as enemy with 100% hp. if you see that, finish lowest hp enemy you can reach first.
many enemies have special attacks. but! they "warn" about that. there are animations. do NOT stand like bull when you see troll/ogre is going do his "tripple" hit. move away. when he hits in nothing, beat him back. repeat. earth elem grab attack can be very dangerous if your save wont work. be helpless in middle of angry trolls, grabbed by earth ele is a bad situation. lure away trolls, leap and return to ele, beat it down fast.
well.... i think enough for this thread from me. :)
fight wise.

Todkaninchen
06-27-2014, 04:00 PM
Something I don't think anyone mentioned to tell if (most) things are stacking or not...

On the Chat box tabs is one named "Combat". If you are in combat, it tells you things like what's hitting you, how much damage you're doing, etc.

However, when you aren't in combat...

When you log in or when you equip/unequip items, it will tell you when it detects a conflict. Such as when more than one item is giving the same (non-stacking) bonus, what's actually being used, and what the effective bonus is.

So, on your initial Armored gloves, Black Widow's bracers, and whatever armor you were wearing, it would have mentioned everything giving an armor bonus to AC, told you which one was actually being applied so you could then discard or do something with the other items to eliminate the conflict, like replacing one of the items with a protection item (stacks with armor bonus) or natural armor (also stacks).

Also, one of the first packs I usually suggest people buy is actually the Chronoscope/Devil's Assault pack. This is useful at lower levels for gear--the Charged Gauntlets are nice for melees down low--it's cheap (usually under 300TP on sale) and--if you're going to TR back to 1 after hitting 20 (because you don't have access to Epic Destinies as a f2p plus you generate more favor in the same slot--Devil Assault is an awesome, easy-to-farm source of Tokens of the Twelve to do so.

For the "desert" for f2p, you'll need to grab some of the other packs higher up, but always try to get them on sale. Additionally, if you choose to buy TP (Turbine Points) and can't find/don't want to buy DDO/LOTRO point cards, you can purchase TP through DDO Market or DDO store with most credit cards/credit gift cards and the lowest amount is $8 for 600TP which will get you one of the middling-packs or cover most of one of the higher-level "f2p desert-reducing" packs in combo with points you earn from favor.

Again, always try to get packs on sale. Never buy "junk" like gear and vanity pets from DDO store while you're still lacking packs. However, getting new character slots (on sale) is a good idea because they increase your maximum earnable favor (and TP points).

Good luck and we all tend to keep learning and asking questions...

MangLord
06-29-2014, 05:30 AM
I really like Dwarf Fighters, but I think my build choices are slightly different from what I've been reading of other people. You can definitely have a lot of fun as a pure fighter, which I recommend for a new player, and you don't need to fuss with multiclassing.

I personally don't like defensive fighting. It's slow and not terribly effective for soloing and small parties. I find it a lot more fun to blast away with a greataxe. Your fighter (or any class) will benefit most from focus, above all else. I prefer greataxes and raw DPS, so I make all my choices based on squeezing more and more damage out of my swings. On the other side, a defensively minded fighter is going to be better overall with total emphasis on tanking and maxing out his armor. Being non-committal usually results in not being very good at either aspect.

My personal style for a dwarven fighter is to allocate as many points as possible into CON (18 for a 28 pt build, the full 20 might be a stretch), followed by STR and WIS. I usually don't put anything into DEX, as heavy armor limits the AC bonuses you can get, and AC is not top priority for me. INT and CHA aren't really beneficial unless you want to focus on defense, in which case they'll let you access Combat Expertise stance and help your intimidate skill. I'm not real into the monk splashed fighter with high dodge, evasion and wearing a robe. It feels wrong for a dwarf. I try to keep my WIS at 10 or 12, just to get some boost to will saves. As a fighter, I find the biggest annoyance is getting caught in enemy CC, so a better will save is money in the bank. STR is there to bust open doors, accessing feats like power attack and THF, and to hold you over until you can get the dwarf racial "throw your weight around" enhancement. Focusing on CON, in addition to throwing your weight around, gives you more HP, and no one ever died from too many HP.

Your feat choices should revolve around axes, damage and more damage. Fighters get a tremendous amount of feats, so you won't be worrying too much about missing something.
-I would take Power Attack and Cleave straight off the bat with your two fighter feats.
-You'll need weapon focus and weapon specialization feats to fully open the favored weapon line in Kensei, but they add extra damage and attack bonuses, so you would want them anyways.
-Toughness isn't as important as it used to be, but every little bit helps.
-I never bothered with dodge, since heavy armor severely limits your max %. Some people like to run around swinging axes in sleepwear, but that's not for me. My dwarves like axes, armor, beer and beards. Heavier armor looks to be getting a boost on the horizon, anyways. Your AC won't be totally abysmal with plate armor, and it provides some level of latent PRR that lighter armor doesn't.
-Improved Critical: Slashing is a must have. It doubles your crit range with an axe, and kensei enhancements double that again.
-Power Critical boosts your critical hits a bit before multipliers. Very useful when dealing with x3 crit modifier of axes and the eventual 17-20 range you'll be working with.
-Two Handed Fighting, Improved THF and Greater THF are terrific. At higher levels they pay dividends when faced with mobs of enemies.
-I would skip Stunning Blow. It's good, but has a long timer and fails a lot if your STR isn't maxed out completely.
-If you have any feats left over and can't decide, Improved Sunder will strip 10% fortification off an enemy, which basic Sunder does not do. I usually drop basic Trip and Sunder off my main hotbar around level 10 in place of more useful stuff, since they basically stop working without feat investment and a few past life bonuses.
-Shield feats depend on how often you plan on using a shield. On my fighters, I keep one around, but use it maybe once or twice on the way to 20. I don't waste feats on shield stuff.
-I usually keep a returning Throwing Axe around for those pesky enemies standing on unreachable ledges, but I don't invest in any feats since I don't use ranged very often on a dwarf fighter. Maybe 20 times over 20 levels.
-Keep in mind that Power Attack is an active stance that needs to be dragged into your hotbars and toggled every time you log in. Another active stance, such as Resilience or Precision, will toggle off PA in favor of the other one. I've never bothered getting more than one active stance. Power Attack will get you through the entire game.
-Luck of Heroes or Iron Will can be helpful if you find yourself failing saves often.

I don't like TWF much for kensei. The tree seems to be focused towards greatweapons and handwraps, as some of the enhancement bonuses don't apply to your offhand weapon (spiritual bond and meditation). A greataxe does terrific damage, causes grazing hits, and you have a slightly expanded striking distance with two handed weapons. Cleaves and glancing blows will often hit enemies in the second or third row back if they're packed around you tightly. Cleave and Great Cleave can be used in succession, so you can hit one after the other.

For skills, I find that intimidate isn't very useful on a fighter with extremely low CHA, and requires gear investment at higher levels to continue being effective. I tend not to put points in it, as I usually grab aggro anyways. Jump is handy, but a score over 40 provides no additional benefit. You'll probably only have one or two points to distribute per level, so I'd say put them into jump and perhaps work on balance later.

Gear is a bit trickier, unless you have a buddy that can craft around good items you already own. Auction House prices are pretty tough on a new player, and that's generally the best source for cherry picking gear you need. Cannith crafting allows me to regear my character at odd levels and fit what I need around whatever existing gear I may have saved for that level. It's definitely an investment in time, but pays off huge if you get into TRing or running multiple characters. I only look for deadly/seeker/speed items and craft everything else.
For a dwarf fighter, I'd say the most important stuff that should take priority are items for CON, speed, deadly and resistance. False Life and Fortification are also very important for a fighter. My fighters also like Seeker items for truly overwhelming criticals that can one hit kill enemies at heroic levels. Seeking is a little more useful for weapons that have a broad critical range, like rapiers and scimitars, but kensei greataxe users will be enjoying X3 crits with a 17-20 range by level 12 or so. STR will let you pull levers requiring a certain STR score, and WIS will further improve your will saves.

One of the hardest aspects of playing a fighter is a lack of good self healing. The guild vendors in House K sell cure serious wounds potions, but you'll be chugging tons at a time to heal back 400hp. A cleric hireling is mandatory for a pure fighter, pretty much. You can buy cleric hires at the House K guild vendors and also in the marketplace. I find that Favored Souls sometimes spend too much time casting offensive spells, so I prefer clerics. Hirelings aren't foolproof, and sometimes get confused in quests with lots of doorways and ladders, so I make sure to toggle their activity from active to passive, and back to active again periodically through quests, and especially before an end fight. It seems to reset their AI so they don't stand there mindlessly while you're getting torn up. Potions can keep you alive in a pinch if your cleric isn't responding to you immediately, so I always keep a stack handy on my main hotbar for emergencies.

I'm currently playing my cleric life at the moment, and I have to say that an elf warpriest dual wielding scimitars is surprisingly devastating. I took two fighter levels for the extra feats I'd need, but you may enjoy that as a strong, self healing melee option if fighter doesn't turn out to be your cup of tea. An elf ranger is also very strong, and also available for F2P players. I haven't done a bard life yet, but swashbuckler seems to have saved that class from oblivion. I see a lot more bards at epic levels now.

MangLord
06-29-2014, 05:45 AM
I forgot to mention that short term buffs and potions can really help out for boss fights and other situational problems. If my character can't cast the spell, I will always carry around a stack of heroism and haste potions. They don't last long, but help out with the initial brunt of a tough mob fight or boss. Haste potions, in addition to speeding up your attacks and movement, give you a +1 to reflex saves, which is what you need for avoiding some level of trap damage. Heroism provides a +2 morale boost to all saves, skill checks and attack rolls, which stacks with resistance items and such.

Protection from Energy pots can at least mitigate some elemental trap damage. It might mean the difference between dying in a fire jet or barely squeaking by with 10hp left.

Also as a fighter, I never bother with Accuracy gear. Your various attack bonuses from your class, feats and enhancements assure you'll only ever miss on a 1 in 99% of the game. Unless it happens to be on a pair of deadly goggles or whatever, its wasted gear space for a fighter.

Acid and Sonic damage are best for all purpose weapon choices. Very little in the game resists or is immune to either. I like Bloodletter and Destruction suffix effects. A good aligned (holy, righteous, flametouched iron, etc) weapon becomes important later on, but you can get by with an acid axe of bloodletter for the vast majority of the game before level 10. An everbright bludgeoning weapon is good for oozes and rust monsters, and a ghostbane weapon is needed against wraiths, ghosts and other incorporeal critters.

MangLord
06-29-2014, 06:17 AM
Sorry to write you a book, but I forgot to mention strategy. There's not a ton of strategy in playing a fighter, as opposed to wizard or rogue, but playing smart can really help with survivability.

Use mechanics to your advantage.

-When taking on a mob, back yourself against a wall so enemies can't completely surround you, and use doorways as bottlenecks. If one guy can't get to you, that's one less attack you'll have to absorb. Your cleaves will also be most effective when enemies are pooled in front of you.
-Throw a ranged weapon at an enemy slightly away from the main group, and draw it to you so you have less to fight later. You can also shoot at crates and walls to draw enemies away from the main force if they're within earshot.
-Sometimes traps will also hurt enemies. Making them walk through traps to get to you is a good way to use heavy trap damage to your advantage.
-Use walls and obstructions to keep a barrier between you and archers/casters, who tend to stay in place for a bit trying to cast spells on you with a wall or pillar blocking it. Also make sure your cleric has a clear line of sight to you, because this mechanic works both ways.
-Retreat when you see your red bar getting chunked down. A good jump skill will let you leap over most mobs and kite around a bit while the cleric catches up on healing you. I'll start retreating when my bar gets halfway down, because it can go down fast.
-Bob and weave when charging archers. They will try to anticipate your location based on your current trajectory. If you use stuttering strafing movements, most of their arrows will go wide as you close in. I play in mouselook mode, so I don't know if this works very well if you use WASD to turn.
-The TAB key allows you to toggle through enemy targets, and focus your attacks on a highlighted enemy. I use this often to single out the caster in a mob. If you accidentally toggle past your intended target, you can r-click off him to deselect, or r-click on him to select if you're targeted on the wrong guy.