PDA

View Full Version : Error 201

wrmydermy
06-16-2014, 05:15 PM
Just re-installed the game and its telling me "Can't open the data files. Check that they exist and that you have permission to write them. The program will now exit, [201]", not sure what to do about this.

sebastianosmith
06-16-2014, 05:32 PM
Have you tried the suggestions on the Support Page for 201 errors (http://support.turbine.com/link/portal/24001/24001/Article/283/-Game-error-201-Can-t-open-the-data-files-Check-that-they-exist-and-that-you-have-permission-to-write-to-them-The-program-will-now-exit-201)? Some of those fixes will actually work, but ignore the part where it says you don't have to run the game with admin privileges. Doing so makes things go so much smoother.

Another thing to check for is making sure all the files are actually downloaded if you used the "Play Instantly" option. Sometimes that doesn't work so well.

Hope some of this helps and best of luck!

wrmydermy
06-16-2014, 07:07 PM
Have you tried the suggestions on the Support Page for 201 errors (http://support.turbine.com/link/portal/24001/24001/Article/283/-Game-error-201-Can-t-open-the-data-files-Check-that-they-exist-and-that-you-have-permission-to-write-to-them-The-program-will-now-exit-201)? Some of those fixes will actually work, but ignore the part where it says you don't have to run the game with admin privileges. Doing so makes things go so much smoother.

Another thing to check for is making sure all the files are actually downloaded if you used the "Play Instantly" option. Sometimes that doesn't work so well.

Hope some of this helps and best of luck!

The only thing I can't figure out now is where to go within the Turbine/DDO folder to find those files. Should they just be under the main DDO folder or in one of the subfolders?

sebastianosmith
06-17-2014, 06:20 AM
The only thing I can't figure out now is where to go within the Turbine/DDO folder to find those files. Should they just be under the main DDO folder or in one of the subfolders?

All current dat files are located in "\Turbine\DDO Unlimited" - The main installation folder. If you don't see them there, they don't exist yet.

wrmydermy
06-17-2014, 04:39 PM
All current dat files are located in "\Turbine\DDO Unlimited" - The main installation folder. If you don't see them there, they don't exist yet.

Is there a way to download those files individually?

sebastianosmith
06-17-2014, 04:47 PM
Is there a way to download those files individually?

Unfortunately not (outside of a friendly file sharing app or two). If you used the "Play Instantly" download, you might try the "Download then Play (http://content.turbine.com/sites/clientdl/ddo/ddolive.exe)" version. That one seems to do a better job of ensuring all the files get there. If you did already download that version, try installing it as an administrator, particularly under Windows 8.x. You might also try disabling your firewall while it's patching. I know some people don't like to do that, but if that's all that works, then it works.

If you have Steam installed you can also download it (http://store.steampowered.com/app/206480) from there. The Steam version usually works best of the three.

I'm sorry you are having so much trouble.

firemedium_jt
06-18-2014, 07:43 PM
Been playing for years. Never had this problem 201 till U22p1.

firemedium_jt
06-19-2014, 10:49 AM
latest quiet patch today fixed it.

Vitamin0P
06-21-2014, 03:26 AM
Fixed. Look in your game folder for client_****.dat files. If you dont have them ( your folder has only 3 gb ), turn your UAC off. The game will download the missing files.

vexteve
07-28-2015, 06:17 AM
Fixed. Look in your game folder for client_****.dat files. If you dont have them ( your folder has only 3 gb ), turn your UAC off. The game will download the missing files.
I had done:
Copy files in backup folder then paste into main DDO folder.
Re-installed DDO.
AND turned my UAC off then tried pasting the files in backup to the main folder.

Still have the "Game Error [201}" after trying to join into a server.

Stoner81
07-30-2015, 11:37 AM
Check the link in my signature folks for "Download DDO".

Stoner81.