PDA

View Full Version : SOOOOOO......I suck at this...

FyreDrayke7
06-08-2014, 08:41 PM
Hey guys, so I have been trying to build this artificer, but keep getting it wrong and just die over and over. My friend(a paladin)can go elite on extreme challenges with out dying once and killing them in two shots, by the time he has killed 50 guys, I have died twice. I try and go ranged, dead instantly, try to go melee, die instantly, try to go magic, death incarnate. OVER AND OVER AGAIN! I can't get it right. This same guy destroyed at early lvls, but now just sucks. So, I need help with a good build. I want to be pretty versatile, because I will mostly be playing solo, and I need some good tips for them. Any help is appreciated. I have every class except favored soul unlocked and I have every race. I need A LOT of help because I basically can't play no. Thank you!
-Drayke

Ivan_Milic
06-08-2014, 08:48 PM
Maybe because that guy knows how to play the game, it is not all about the build in this game.
If you are new, you will suck with every class until you learn the basics.
I think you should try wf sorcerer.
By lvl 9 you need at least 100% fort.

FyreDrayke7
06-08-2014, 08:55 PM
He got the game a week ago. I have been playing for a few months. :/

Jingwei
06-08-2014, 09:25 PM
Artificers are one of the strongest early game classes.

For the simple repeater/spell power artificer:

To start out, your repeater is your best source of damage, and your objective is to get as much bonus damage as possible:
Are you running elemental weapons?
Are you using created flaming bolts?
Are you using a repeater with lots of bonus damage? (example: crafted holy of bleeding)

As you level up and start having more enhancement points available for your excellent spell like abilities, they start becoming one of your primary damage sources, instead of your repeater.
Are you running with quicken, maximize, and empower on your SLAs?
Are you using something like bracers of wind to get both bonus electric damage and bonus crit chance?

As bosses begin to have enough HP to stand up to your repeater and SLAs for a little while, don't forget to start charging and firing your rune arm at them.

Saekee
06-08-2014, 09:45 PM
post your build here and the gear you are using. that is a start. You will get specific advice.

Enoach
06-08-2014, 10:23 PM
Also what are you using as a strategy?

Are you taking advantage of using your Pet as a distraction?
Are you using blade barriers to run stuff through? <- This right here is one way to help turn a mob into shredded trash
Are you taking advantage of the Rune Arm, for extra range damage and/or for extra weapon damage?
Are you able to use Reconstruct for cast Healing? or are you dependent on scrolls/potions?

Ranges: Are you standing still and just shooting? Are you using Endless Fuselage? Precise Shot's Stance Archer's Focus? Improved Precise shot? If using Improved Precise Shot are you aiming close or far away to get the most hits?

Melee: Are you standing still and just swinging? Are you using Tenser's Transformation?

Caster: Are you using abilities that stun/knockdown. Are you gearing for DC's

EllisDee37
06-08-2014, 10:23 PM
Is this your only character?

CThruTheEgo
06-09-2014, 01:15 AM
Take a look at Dubbell O'Seven in my signature. It's built for endgame so it may or may not fit your goals, but it should give a lot to think about either way. The ranged and casting feats are pretty standard for an arti so those won't change regardless. The entire thread has some excellent discussion on arti build aspects and playstyle, so it can be very informative if you want to read through it.

Rautis
06-09-2014, 04:54 AM
You didn't tell what level your artificer is now. It is easy to die as new artificer in mid game simply because early game arti is extremely strong. When others learn different aspects about the game early on the arti meets the point where lessons have to be learned comparatively late. Also, paladin is a very forgiving class because of great survivability. Things to learn include:

A versatile and effective spell selection Aggro management Finding gear that works for your character Learning about skills and feats related to artificer play etc

Generally artificers combine spells, melee and runearm or ranged, spells and runearm. Artificer class is very versatile and there are several ways to succeed depending on what kind of things your build supports. Some points:

Your character doesnt kill itself, it take co-operation from you and the monsters to get there. You got more aggro than you could handle. Use Dog with intimidate, maybe very early cast flame turret(works up to like level 15) so you dont get aggro yourself. Use AOE abilities after paladin has established reliable aggro, not before Identify what things kill you and let either dog or your paladin friend deal with them. Or use max burst DPS(fusillade+runearm shot or so) to bring them down before they kill you. Learn how concentration works. Use that information to build your character(you may want quicken) and when you make tactical decisions. Your gear might not be protective enough. Get save boosting gear and something against physical damage(I like spearblock on ranged characters as arrows are not that high damage per arrow but very common source of damage) Your damage sucks? As artificer it's mostly gear, spell selection and unused class abilities. Figure a reliable way to self heal. Depends on race you chose. Can be halfling dragonmarks, Scrolls, Potions, Repair spells, the potion based spells(as fleshy I like these+scrolls over construct essence but it depends from player to player) or a combination.

FlameDiablo
06-09-2014, 07:57 AM
I did 6 lifes as arti based builds always zerging on elite, the problem isn't the class, probably the build or equip or just need advice on how to play. Need more detailes to help

TrinityTurtle
06-09-2014, 11:07 AM
He got the game a week ago. I have been playing for a few months. :/

Unfortunately human skills and talents are not all equal, and everyone learns at a different curve. Also relevant to this are his general experience with mmo's, did he put in some time on the wiki researching how the game plays, etc. etc. It took me a year to really get it all and start stoming on content, took one of my friends a few months, and my husband is still figuring things out sometimes. Same game, different people learning at different rates. You need to focus less on what he can do and more on what is actually going wrong for you.

We need a little more info to really help you though. Where are you dying, what is killing you, how many of them, what did you do beforehand to minimize your risk, etc. etc.

Are you getting one shotted? - potential solutions here include con tomes (especially if you didn't put any points into it), health items( con boosters), and hit point items (boosts the hp directly).

Are you getting swarmed by mobs? This requires some trail and error, but you can learn to finess the ag and should try pulling the least amount of critters possible. Drop a turret and/or blade barrier to draw ag off you (the turrte) and slice and dice them (the bb) as they come at you.

Are you getting crit a lot? - Fortification is important, it greatly reduces their chances of scoring crit hits and lowers the damage a log.

What are you doing to heal yourself? - As an artificer you can get some really good umd scores that will allow you to use various healing scrolls if you're not a warforged.

Are you using insightful damage? - This is an awesome buff for your repeater that can be used with either elemental damage/deadly/silver/whatever your level and the situation call for.

Livmo
06-09-2014, 11:55 AM
Take a look at Dubbell O'Seven in my signature. It's built for endgame so it may or may not fit your goals, but it should give a lot to think about either way. The ranged and casting feats are pretty standard for an arti so those won't change regardless. The entire thread has some excellent discussion on arti build aspects and playstyle, so it can be very informative if you want to read through it.

CThruTheEgo is being modest. The Dubble O' Seven build is allot of fun to play. I tried it with a bladeforged and a few tweaks and it's tons of fun at the heroic levels too.

Race can make a difference depending on your play style. Here are the more common ones used for arties:

Baldeforged
Warforged
Cyborg (non BF/WF race taking the feat construct essence)
Human
Elf

I prefer human with construct essence.

PsychoBlonde
06-09-2014, 01:19 PM
Did you dump con? Arties, like most caster-types, need lots of con to get them hit points up there. Int is their most important stat, followed by con, followed by dex.

You haven't said WHAT is killing you. Melee damage? Spells?

You should be using a repeating crossbow as your weapon and staying out of melee as much as possible. Throw down a flame turret and circle around it plinking away with your repeater and runearm. Should be sufficient to kill everything in short order. Do you have your runearm set to auto-charge thus slowing you down a lot? That could be your problem. You kind of have to pick when to use your runearm. If you've got aggro chasing you, that's not a good time.

If spells are killing you make sure you have the Resist Energy spell and you USE it. Also make sure you have (on gear):

Fortification
Armor
Protection
Natural Armor
Resistance
Deathblock
False Life

Ideally you should be doing int-to-damage and an elemental damage type from arti spells. Since arties get crafting bonuses you can also make +1 bolts of a variety of different types to eke out a little more damage. Or, you can cast the Flame Arrow spell (2nd level IIRC) and summon flaming bolts. Just remember that Elemental Weapons: Fire won't stack, so you want to use a different element type if you use flaming bolts.

Khyber's Fury (Tangleroot), and the Hand of the Tombs (wiz-king, although it's not bound so you can get it on the AH) are some of the best low-level runearms. The Pea Shooter (Into the Deep) is also pretty decent. Remember that you can make a Masterful Craftsmanship shard (if you've got the favor to buy Marks of House Cannith) and use your runearm 2 levels before you normally would be able to.

PsychoBlonde
06-09-2014, 01:20 PM
CThruTheEgo is being modest. The Dubble O' Seven build is allot of fun to play. I tried it with a bladeforged and a few tweaks and it's tons of fun at the heroic levels too.

Race can make a difference depending on your play style. Here are the more common ones used for arties:

Baldeforged
Warforged
Cyborg (non BF/WF race taking the feat construct essence)
Human
Elf

I prefer human with construct essence.

I actually quite like halfling for an artificer--the extra sneak damage can really help out.

Livmo
06-09-2014, 01:47 PM
I actually quite like halfling for an artificer--the extra sneak damage can really help out.

I don't know if they still drop, but occasionally I used to find one in chest that would buff this and the xbow listed halfling race req. I gave the last one I pulled away sometime ago.

It nice to see a halfling artie every now and again. I will have to try it someday.

FyreDrayke7
06-09-2014, 02:01 PM
Sorry guys, I have been really busy so I haven't been able to answer. Ok so, My max lvl artificer I have built was lvl 3, so all of this stuff that Enoach is talking about, I have no idea what they are. I am using a drow artificer and I put in 12 con and 16 dex so I almost always hit and I didn't dump con. I am getting one shot by Kobold shamans who use some lightning spell on me so I insta-die. I can't find any good gear that I can use at lvl 2. I only have gear for lvl 5 and ONLY repeaters nothing else. The only feat I could take was point blank shot. I also wanted to take construct esscence but can't find it in the feats list and I thought point blank shot would be better to get first. My dog is also REALLY terrible, even after upgrading so, don't know what to do their, also the paladin is a human and needs to buy a hireling almost all the time, so I need to heal him with curative admixture. I can't really list off everything because their is so much and would have to flip between game and this. If you do need it let me know. Thanks. Edit: Also, I have absolutely no rune arms except for the crappy one from Korthos.
-Drayke

Mercureal
06-09-2014, 02:19 PM
Sorry guys, I have been really busy so I haven't been able to answer. Ok so, My max lvl artificer I have built was lvl 3, so all of this stuff that Enoach is talking about, I have no idea what they are. I am using a drow artificer and I put in 12 con and 16 dex so I almost always hit and I didn't dump con. I am getting one shot by Kobold shamans who use some lightning spell on me so I insta-die. I can't find any good gear that I can use at lvl 2. I only have gear for lvl 5 and ONLY repeaters nothing else. The only feat I could take was point blank shot. I also wanted to take construct esscence but can't find it in the feats list and I thought point blank shot would be better to get first. My dog is also REALLY terrible, even after upgrading so, don't know what to do their, also the paladin is a human and needs to buy a hireling almost all the time, so I need to heal him with curative admixture. I can't really list off everything because their is so much and would have to flip between game and this. If you do need it let me know. Thanks. Edit: Also, I have absolutely no rune arms except for the crappy one from Korthos.
-Drayke

A few obvious issues are more clear with your response, here.

1. You're level 3 as a new player, and you're doing quests on elite (Kobold Shamans only cast lightning bolt on elite). That's a touch challenge, and as a new player you're probably not hugely familiar with the game play yet, and don't have the gear to be really prepared for it. You might want to try normal or hard, first.

2. Construct Essence: I'm fairly certain this can only be taken as a bonus artificer feat (http://ddowiki.com/page/Artificer#Artificer_Bonus_Feats), and the first of those you get is at level 4.

3. You're acting as a healer for your friend's character. This distracts you from taking care of yourself and puts you more at risk from things like a Kobold lightning bolt. Tell your friend to worry about his healing himself. He is a Paladin, after all.

Enoach
06-09-2014, 02:20 PM
Ok, so we are talking about the Level 3 Range. Here you are even more limited by what is available to you, but at level 2 you should be able to use a rune arm. I believe the Korthos Village has a Rune Arm as a Quest End Reward.

One way to really feel the power for an artificer at this level is a Repeater Crossbow - Light or Heavy. At low levels being able to hit more often goes a long way compared to being able to hit hard.
Learn to walk backwards while shooting. When you can keep the distance between you and your target it helps reduce how much damage you take.

Also at this level don't be afraid to grab your own cleric hireling.

For your Pet what buffs are you supplying it? Buffs help with its performance.

As for the lightning attack, you have a couple options:
1. Improve your Reflex save so you take 1/2 damage (Resistance Spell will add +1, sticking close enough to benefit from the Paladin Aura adds +1)
2. Use corners and don't put your back against a wall
3. Use Range to your advantage, don't go to them, make them come to you.
4. Electrical resistance / protection

FyreDrayke7
06-09-2014, 02:30 PM
I do have a rune arm and a repeater crossbow, the crossbow murdered EVERYTHING on korthos and the rune arm was a big piece of ****. I also am going for a guy that prefers range and spells but can go and kill people with swords. I need the versatility. Should I change to warforged? I really like the drow, but warforged seems a lot better for some reason. On my pet, I have adamantiam plating, chaotic and good, that's all. Also, my spells o no damage and I don't know what to pick. Should I be buffing myself, or killing with magic? Thanks.
-Drayke

Livmo
06-09-2014, 02:37 PM
A low level Pure G0od repeater is nice to have.

I usually farm one of these and use the red augment slot to boost my spell power, but have used other aggies in it as well.

Hobble's Crossbow
http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Hobble's_Crossbow

from

Irestone Inlet
http://ddowiki.com/page/Irestone_Inlet

Also the Inlet is a great quest to test weapons in.

At your level I usually run a crafted Though Spike and Hobble's xbow.

schelsullivan
06-09-2014, 02:53 PM

I couldnt get the halflings to load into my repeater properly, do you grease them down first?

byzantinebob
06-09-2014, 02:56 PM
Are you spending points on your dog? I went several levels without realizing your dog gets its own points to advance. An aggressive dog that has added agro is a great tank.

Don't use spells for damage. Use whatever buffs you, your dog, or party members. Go to the Marketplace and buy some cheap wands. The spell Shield makes you immune to Magic Missile (the little purple things you can't dodge). Fire or lightning resists make most enemy spells meaningless. And don't forget healing wands. UMD is your friend.

The Runearm should only be shot when fully charged. It's damage goes way up with each additional charge. Blasting off one charge shots is not going to add up to much. As you level, you'll get some really good rune arms.

Hilltrot
06-09-2014, 03:36 PM
I have leveled artificer from level 1-8 Four times, so I know a little more than most here probably know about your current situation. I find Artificer to be the easiest class to do a 1-20 level run.

First, for so many different reasons, warforged will be easier, but some can't do that for monetary reasons.

Here's what you need to do.

Put up an LFM asking to join a guild with airship and buffs. Join the guild. Get your buffs. You are now immune to all spells except magic missile until the next update comes along. You literally won't even feel any magic damage until level 10 or so. (Laugh at those kobold lightning spells.)

When the update comes along or if you don't want to change guilds for some silly reason, cast resist lightning and resist fire on yourself. Resist acid is also important. Artificer gets resist spells at level 1!

The first feat when you make you character should be point blank shot. The second feat at level three should be precise shot. Rapid Shot, Precision, quicken, and maximize should be third, fourth, fifth, and sixth feats although the order, I'll leave up to you.

Carry a stack of moderate heal potions if you are unable to play warforged. (Serious heal potions at level 5, Heal scrolls when you get your UMD high enough.) Construct essence may save a little bit of money, but it actually heals slower than pots until you get reconstruct.

Unfortunately, the best starter gear is made with Cannith crafting. I don't think you have this so grab any repeating crossbow with added damage like fire, acid, tidal, even heartseeking. Holy can also be good. You don't need the +?. You need the added damage Buy only cheap ones since it seems like you might have no money.

Don't worry about runearms at the moment. When you get about level 5, you can try for one at 3 barrel cove, but you may be grinding for hours to get a rare a drop off a rare spawn. Grab the Peashooter from the red fens at high level when you get the chance. Most runearms suck until higher level.

You DO NOT heal the paladin. The paladin needs to heal himself. Tell him to buy pots. It is absurd for a paladin to ask an artificer to heal him. (Especially a human one.) Believe me the paladin you're playing with is not that good of a player if he's asking you to heal him. Never use a curative adminiwhatever again. (At least until you realize that Artificers are OP.)

If you don't like the dog now . . . it only gets worse. The dog is not there to kill your enemies. Maximize its intimidation and trip first. You may need to retrain your dog.

Enhancements. Arcanotechnician, Energy of creation 1-3, Uncaring Master, Palliative Admixture (Cast before tough fights.), Static shock 1-3, Thaumaturgical Battery, Lightning Sphere 1-3. Wand and scroll mastery 1-3 (Used primary for healing wands.), Pick 4 more points (I suggest quicken), and then get blast rod 1-3. Forget the other trees for now.

Basic strategy. You are ranged. You have high spot. Engage the enemy as far away as possible. If possible attack them before they see you. Always run away from the enemy but keep on firing. If you get surrounded use lightning sphere and jump to get away. (Carry jump potions.)

Lightning sphere is your goto spell. At all levels I could stops swarms of mobs with this spell. (There are some mobs with immunities.) The daze is awesome. A quickened flame turret is awesome at lower levels and helpful at higher levels. Blast rod is your goto high damage spell obtainable at 6th level.

Runearms are effectively useless to artificers until higher levels. Don't fiddle with it right now. You'll make it bleed.

EllisDee37
06-09-2014, 03:48 PM
Put up an LFM asking to join a guild with airship and buffs. Join the guild. Get your buffs. You are now immune to all spells except magic missile until the next update comes along.The next update is due to come along this week, most likely in 2 days. But most guilds will probably keep the old-style resist shrines anyway, so no worries there.

FyreDrayke7
06-10-2014, 12:02 AM
Alright, so after a full day of grinding my artificer with the paladin, I am A LOT better. All of the advice you guys gave helped a lot. All I need now is a good rune arm and rapier and something else I am forgetting, it's late for me :) So, it turned out that I was acting as a tank when I shouldn't have been. GG me. So, more con and strength and I'll be perfect. Also, what are stat tomes and how would I get them? I know they boost your stats, but is that it? How would I get them? Thanks!
-Drayke

Hiponic
06-10-2014, 12:42 AM
Arti was my first serious build.. and still to this day the love of my life tho I moved on.

I find it to be one of the most survivable classes Ive play with..
Being a WF is going to give you a big advantage or like another poster said being a borg and taking construct..
But arti WF get incredible heals, Especialy in later game, and even the damage you do once you learn a little bit can get into the 5k Crits with the rite rune arm.
But for a first life arti..Heroics is where you will shine. After around 16-28 Your a buff bot. Toss out Enhance weapons, Deadlies, Elementals as people ask (Or if they dont ask and u wana be the best buff bot you can be). Your gonna be a support toon.. Toss a blade barrier and stand back and shoot.

I even found my self being a Construct healer in later game. Arti's get a a fairly large sp pool for the ammount of mana they actually use.. If i seen the Bladeforged Tank taking to much damage or a WF wizard getting low on mana Ill stand back and heal them. You wont be #1 on Kills rite away.. But you will earn your loot. Hell. You can even cure certain ailments.. Tho I never took them spells.

I had read a article when I frist started playing saying that Arti's do ALOT of damage through other players... Meaning That Elemental Weapon , Deadly Weapon, or Enhance weapon adds to the over all damage players are dealing out...
I can say even now having moved on from arti.. I still think to my self.. WOW i really wish I had a arti in this group to Toss out Silver Weapons or adamantine.

If you did JUST start playing.. You picked a good starter toon.. But your gonna die.. Nobody jumps in this game and owns it.. there are alot of mechanics and things to learn.. Just keep at it.

As for Rune Arms.. Lucid Dreams from IQ line (Forgot wich quest exactly has it) around Lvl 18 is a Must and I see alot of people using it into 28..

Tovens Hammer is also great if you can find people to actually run that with you.

Ivan_Milic
06-10-2014, 06:04 AM
Alright, so after a full day of grinding my artificer with the paladin, I am A LOT better. All of the advice you guys gave helped a lot. All I need now is a good rune arm and rapier and something else I am forgetting, it's late for me :) So, it turned out that I was acting as a tank when I shouldn't have been. GG me. So, more con and strength and I'll be perfect. Also, what are stat tomes and how would I get them? I know they boost your stats, but is that it? How would I get them? Thanks!
-Drayke

Wait, you are using rapier as an arti?
You should use repeater, max int at creating char, bit in dex and con, lvl ups in int, take insightful damage, your int mod is used to dmg.
How much did you put in int at creation?
If you didnt put anything I think you should re-roll to this build:https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/386775-Dubbell-O-Seven-casting-ranged-focused-artificer
Because most of the times when new players makes his build it doesnt end well and you will struggle later.

FyreDrayke7
06-10-2014, 10:08 AM
You should use repeater, max int at creating char, bit in dex and con, lvl ups in int, take insightful damage, your int mod is used to dmg.
If you didnt put anything I think you should re-roll to this build:https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/386775-Dubbell-O-Seven-casting-ranged-focused-artificer
Because most of the times when new players makes his build it doesnt end well and you will struggle later.

Bro, I'm not 100% dumb, just 90%. I am using a good repeater Xbow, but I have a rapier and short sword if I need to go melee. I am a Drow, so I made my int 18, my dex 14(?mabye 12), my con 12, my str 12, wis and cha 10. Thanks to you letting me know, I will get insightful strikes next time I can. With gear boosts, I have 21 int and 16 is dex. I have just been rounding out my char, by putting a point in con. Thanks, tell me if you need more info.
-Drayke

Hilltrot
06-10-2014, 10:12 AM

If that is how he wants to play it, he can play it that way. It's not the most effective in my opinion, or yours, but he seems to like it. If he tags on SB when it comes out, it might be viable.

Once again as I've said before, the cannon in 3BC is the only option for low level - a rare drop off a rare spawn. Next up is the pea shooter from the Fens. But my real opinion is stop scratching it.

There are stat tomes and skill tomes. Both drop on rare occurrences although not as rare as it use to be. They can also be bought. I would wait to buy.

The build Ivan posted is not a good leveling build. The author of the build said it was an end game build. If you use this build, you will have greater difficulty leveling. I gave the easiest path above. Whether you use it or not is completely up to you.

Ivan_Milic
06-10-2014, 10:36 AM
Bro, I'm not 100% dumb, just 90%. I am using a good repeater Xbow, but I have a rapier and short sword if I need to go melee. I am a Drow, so I made my int 18, my dex 14(?mabye 12), my con 12, my str 12, wis and cha 10. Thanks to you letting me know, I will get insightful strikes next time I can. With gear boosts, I have 21 int and 16 is dex. I have just been rounding out my char, by putting a point in con. Thanks, tell me if you need more info.
-Drayke

I didnt type insightful strikes, I typed insightful damage, they are different.

Ivan_Milic
06-10-2014, 10:38 AM
If that is how he wants to play it, he can play it that way. It's not the most effective in my opinion, or yours, but he seems to like it. If he tags on SB when it comes out, it might be viable.

Well if he doesnt want to suck, he shouldnt melee on a class that is not melee based.

TrinityTurtle
06-10-2014, 11:00 AM
-Drayke

Um...hitting them with the repeater in melee range is WHY you took that point blank shot feet...And artificers only get simple weapons as a proficiency, so you'll be taking a minus to hit...which kind of negates the point of using that rapier even with the insightful strikes, which you shouldn't really be using after you obtain insightful damage anyway, because killing them faster is better.

Livmo
06-10-2014, 11:10 AM
-Drayke

Run arm grants proficiency:
http://ddowiki.com/images/Chimera%27s_Breath.png

You don't have to use this bastard sword with the arm, but I like to:

http://ddowiki.com/images/Chimera%27s_Fang.png

You can also craft on the rune arm for added value.

CThruTheEgo
06-10-2014, 11:53 AM
The build Ivan posted is not a good leveling build. The author of the build said it was an end game build. If you use this build, you will have greater difficulty leveling. I gave the easiest path above. Whether you use it or not is completely up to you.

That's not correct. Dubbell O'Seven is great for leveling. Things like gear, ED choices, tomes, epic feats, etc. are endgame decisions. But for leveling through heroics, the feats are taken in a very effective order - emphasizing ranged dps early (when it is most powerful), and moving toward spell/rune arm damage as you approach higher levels (when they become more powerful than ranged).

Ivan_Milic
06-10-2014, 12:22 PM
Even if it was end game build, it is still better than what OP is making.
But yea, I played oseven build on first life, it was great, in all lvls better than zerging fvs with bb.
But I played it before enhancement pass, so idk what changed.

CThruTheEgo
06-10-2014, 12:31 PM
Even if it was end game build, it is still better than what OP is making.
But yea, I played oseven build on first life, it was great, in all lvls better than zerging fvs with bb.
But I played it before enhancement pass, so idk what changed.

I haven't leveled the build post enhancement pass either. The only real difference would be the SLAs. They might be useful during leveling, but I don't think they're needed. You mow everything down long before it gets anywhere near you with the repeater in the lower levels. Flame turret is the perfect tank/AoE into mid levels. Then you get blade barrier and it's all over. So I probably still wouldn't bother with the SLAs.

Livmo
06-10-2014, 12:46 PM
I like to cast as an arty. I had this pic in my imgur from a while back and thought I would share here for those into being a castifer. I've lots of other casty gear for my arties, but not screen shotted. I like to craft my spell sticks.

https://i.imgur.com/Tev6n6I.jpg

FyreDrayke7
06-10-2014, 12:50 PM
Guys I am a Drow. I get rapier and short sword when I got the character because I'm an elf. I know that I took point blank shot for that reason, but I just love swords so I want to be able to solo with swords if I want. I know it is a TERRIBLE decision but I want to so yeah. Also, sorry for saying a wrong word I guess? Trinity turtle, that is true but I one shot everything with all my buffs, so I think I'm good with whatever weapon I use on normal and hard. I think my character is taking its mold very well. The rune arm is my trouble right now though because I can't find any. I have been grinding the waterworks quest for a while but can't get it. Should I just wait for a few lvls before I get a new one? Thanks.
-Drayke

Ivan_Milic
06-10-2014, 12:59 PM
Point of your thread is that you suck at this.
We tell you how to play arti, melee is not the way for new player, but if you still gonna stick to your ways, dont ask why you suck after.
We are trying to help you, but you still do it your way.

FyreDrayke7
06-10-2014, 01:04 PM
Ivan, that is true. But yesterday after all your guys advice, all of that helped me a lot. It is now working out great. After some better gear and some good tactics and spells, it fixed my issues. I'm sorry for the confusion there Ivan. At the end of the day, all of the advice just helped me flesh out my characters fight and it works with the swords and with the repeaters. Thank you again.
-Drayke
P.S. I will ask again if it stops working. Thank you for the tips though. :)

Vindraxx
06-10-2014, 02:19 PM
. The rune arm is my trouble right now though because I can't find any. I have been grinding the waterworks quest for a while but can't get it. Should I just wait for a few lvls before I get a new one? Thanks.
-Drayke

Most rune arms come as quest rewards after you finish the quest chain. I am fairly certain there is a rune arm that you get for completing the water works quest chain, I forget exactly which one it is. There is also one that you get from completing part of the Korthos Island quest chain and I think there might be another you can get from doing the catacombs quest chain as well. Almost all of the rune arms come from completing chains and not as random loot drops or in quest reward lists. You can probably look this information up on ddowiki if there is a specific rune arm you're looking for.

Vissarion
06-10-2014, 03:48 PM
I haven't leveled the build post enhancement pass either. The only real difference would be the SLAs. They might be useful during leveling, but I don't think they're needed. You mow everything down long before it gets anywhere near you with the repeater in the lower levels. Flame turret is the perfect tank/AoE into mid levels. Then you get blade barrier and it's all over. So I probably still wouldn't bother with the SLAs.

The SLAs are really nice during the middle levels. Lightning Sphere is a little wonky, but has a nice daze. Blast Rod with max, empower, and level-appropriate Bracers of Wind just blows stuff up. The damage definitely tails off towards 14-15, but as you said, with BB kicking in, who cares?

Badamarth
06-11-2014, 05:23 PM
Guys I am a Drow. I get rapier and short sword when I got the character because I'm an elf. I know that I took point blank shot for that reason, but I just love swords so I want to be able to solo with swords if I want. I know it is a TERRIBLE decision but I want to so yeah. Also, sorry for saying a wrong word I guess? Trinity turtle, that is true but I one shot everything with all my buffs, so I think I'm good with whatever weapon I use on normal and hard. I think my character is taking its mold very well. The rune arm is my trouble right now though because I can't find any. I have been grinding the waterworks quest for a while but can't get it. Should I just wait for a few lvls before I get a new one? Thanks.
-Drayke

I've played a couple of Arti lives. It's my favorite class, flavor-wise. A couple of points:

If you want to play with swords, just roll a toon that's built to take advantage of them. No harm in having a couple of alts to experience different playstyles. (I've really enjoyed Drow Favored Souls of Vulkoor, when screwing around with Veteran builds.) If you're not good at the game yet, you're not really ready to branch away from class stereotypes.

For runearms, I highly recommend hitting some House P stuff. Tangleroot Gorge has Khyber's Fury, and the Carnival chain has Chulchunnad's Claw, pretty sure. You want the favor anyway, for faster movement in town. Later on, buy a Hand of the Tombs, definitely. Never got much mileage out of the Waterworks or Catacombs runearms.

kanordog
06-11-2014, 06:54 PM
-Drayke

I played a few melee artificers, they are good: they have good ranged dps and ok (-ish) melee dps (with bastard sword or dwarven axe)
Chimera's breath (see above) is a good runearm for a melee arti.
But You'll need STR for that
a lot of it!
Like a fighter.

With a drow I would go ranged/caster.

Runearms are good but You need to play in fps mode and practice abit with them and You need high spellpower and spellcrit chance.

Run the waterworks chain (four quest: 2 clan gnashtooth and 2 tunnelworm) three times (on normal or hard) and you will get flame warden as the chain end reward. (Usually running a chain three times gives 100% for named items to appear on reward list.)
http://ddowiki.com/page/The_Lost_Seekers
http://ddowiki.com/page/Rune_Arm tells you which one is where to find

FyreDrayke7
06-17-2014, 04:55 PM
So I'm back. I have reached lvl 6 and have run into another problem. So, I got the brand new rune arm, flames warden, a +2 keen repeating heavy xbow, a +2 breastplate, and tons of spells like energy rod and lightning orb, and static shock, ablative armor, repair spells, elemental weapons, etc. I buff the **** out of myself, but just don't deal damage. The +2 keen repeating xbow deals more base damage then hobbles xbow, so I thought I would destroy everything, but I don't deal any damage so I feel pretty useless. I no longer use any swords because they kept dealing 1 damage. I am lvl 6 and my dog pretty much deals ALL the damage along with my cleric hireling with JUST her weapon. I am pretty confused because, I used to be REALLY good, but now....Any help is appreciated. Thanks
-Drayke

Ivan_Milic
06-17-2014, 06:11 PM
What are your stats?

FyreDrayke7
06-17-2014, 09:29 PM
14 Str, 17 Dex, 16 Con, 20 Int, 12 Wis, 10 Cha. 127 HP, 535 SP, 27 AC, 6 For, 7 Ref, 8 Will, BAB 4, SR 18, 30% Fortification. 20 of all resistances, except physical which is 7. Is that all you want? That is of course with other bonuses and airship buffs and such.

Kasiddy
06-17-2014, 10:24 PM
Buff your xbow, not yourself.
Insightful damage will add 5 damage to each bolt (from your Int modifier)
Elemental damage will add another 1d6 of energy damage per bolt.
Flame Warden will add another 1d4 fire damage.
That should be just over 18 average damage per bolt on a +2 heavy repeater, without factoring in crits, unless whatever you are targeting is resistant for some reason. If you add in a +2 deadly item it's over 20.

Enhancement: +2
Base 1d10: +5.5
Insightful: +5
Elemental: +3.5
Flame Warden: +2.5
Deadly: +2

Also, switching from +2 keen to something like +1 acid of bleeding will add another seven damage average unless things resist.
Keen is sexy when you crit a lot and very nice things happen on a crit. Its not that great in other situations.
On a plain +2 Keen xbow, unless you have other things working on a crit, you get an additional +2 + 5.5 average each time you crit. Assuming you will crit every time you roll a 17-20, that's 20% of your shots, or an average of 7.5*0.2 = +1.5 average damage per bolt. Another element and bleeding is 3.5 + 4.5 = 8 average. Your bolts (assuming you are using conjured bolts) are already +2, so the +2 from the xbow doesn't really help much. You could also add in a +2 or +3 deadly item for a little more damage.

So switching to a +1 acid of bleeding crossbow and doing everything above should net you an average of about 28 damage per bolt, again assuming nothing resists and not considering crits. Crits are going to increase damage between 1 and 2 average per bolt until you get some significant effects going on when they happen.

Bolts: +2
Base 1d10: +5.5
Insightful: +5
Acid: +3.5
Bleed: +4.5
Elemental: +3.5
Flame Warden: +2.5
Deadly: +2

Arti dogs are quite good at low levels, nothing wrong there.

So... what are you doing to increase your crossbow damage?
And are you missing a lot for some reason?

Ivan_Milic
06-18-2014, 05:09 AM
Insightful strikes add dmg to your bow?
I thought it was insightful damage.

Kasiddy
06-18-2014, 08:50 AM
Insightful strikes add dmg to your bow?
I thought it was insightful damage.

fixed, thanks.

edit: don't recall if the modifier given by insightful damage is used again for damage rolls on crits like strength modifier would be for a sword - been a while since I played my arti extensively... if it does then the keen isn't so bad, but adding extra damage dice to each bolt would still net more average damage at this point over keen.

kanordog
06-18-2014, 04:11 PM
Do you mean low damage or no damage?
You hit but deal no damage or you don't hit at all?